"W.E" (2012) - Film produced by Madonna on the Abdication of Edward VIII

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks like the film flopped in a major way.

Films about the RF generally do quite well, s I guess it was due to Madonna's reputation. It doesn't look like it will make its money back, but perhaps when it goes to video?

It made £183,000 with advance screenings added in, in the UK and that was on wide release. My local cinema, which is the second biggest cinema chain the UK (cineworld) isn't showing it. I would have to travel a good two hours to find the nearest cinema showing it.

Really? It got ravaged in the reviews here in the States, whereas The Queen and The King's Speech were recieived to great aclaim.

It got ravaged everywhere, except apparently Amazon. They laughed out loud at its Venice Premiere.

I don't think you can judge a film on one review on Amazon, whereas, like you say, it's been ravaged everywhere else.

I don't think you can judge a film on one review on Amazon, whereas, like you say, it's been ravaged everywhere else.

I don't think you can judge a movie without seeing it in the first place!

Its all about individual taste,some people will like it & others hate it :)

I went to see W.E. last week with my friends and I have to be honest and say I wouldn't recommend it. I had hoped for a historical film about their relationship and was left very disappointed.

I don't think you can judge a movie without seeing it in the first place!

Its all about individual taste,some people will like it & others hate it :)

Absolutely. ! I must be the only person who keeps seeing decent reviews, :lol: the Amazon one and a number of positive reviews on the Irish RTE website.

I went to see W.E. last week with my friends and I have to be honest and say I wouldn't recommend it. I had hoped for a historical film about their relationship and was left very disappointed.

Does the modern story feature more strongly / more often than the Wallis / Edward one. ? That is my fear.

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I plan on seeing it as soon as it comes here. Madonna was on Anderson Cooper's show last week, and judging from comments she made, she seems to have the romantic notion of "the man who gave up his throne for the woman he loved". I'm curious to see how much that influenced the film.

Looks like the film flopped in a major way.

Films about the RF generally do quite well, s I guess it was due to Madonna's reputation. It doesn't look like it will make its money back, but perhaps when it goes to video?

IMO, Madonna isn't the problem---it's the presentation of the subject matter. I'm not sure her pov is popular. (Note--I have no intention of seeing the film. From what I've read, I wouldn't agree with her general interpretation of Wallis, Edward, etc.)

Erin9 said:
IMO, Madonna isn't the problem---it's the presentation of the subject matter. I'm not sure her pov is popular. (Note--I have no intention of seeing the film. From what I've read, I wouldn't agree with her general interpretation of Wallis, Edward, etc.)

I agree, it's also IMO the choice of subject matter itself.

The problem, IMO, is her lack of talent as a film maker.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have just seen the trailer. so I can't comment, but from what I saw, it tends to beautify, physically and morally the "biggest love story in history". which I find wrong. Wallis simpson was a married woman when she pursued the prince of Wales, and that is all that has to be said...If he wouldn't have been wealthier than her husband, he wouldn't have counted...they were both in their earlier 40's when they married which 70 years ago was considered early middle age, that he was besotted with her was no doubt.

Last edited:
This sux! The movie isn't being played in my area, I really want to see it; though I am still not excited to see the scenes set in the present.

The film is not on wide release in America until this summer I believe. The same in the UK. Considering how it's flopped and dropped from the majority of cinemas within a week, I doubt they'll go ahead with wide release and just leave sales to the DVD.

I hear the costuming was fantastic, and was nominated for an academy award, and the awards ceremony is to be held this Sunday LA California.

I hear the costuming was fantastic, and was nominated for an academy award, and the awards ceremony is to be held this Sunday LA California.

Yeah i'm looking forward to seeing those costumes, and the actress playing Wallis, I heard she was really impressive.

I just saw the trailer it didn't look to shabby to be honest with you. But to pay money to see the movie a big no no. So great it doesn't seem to me

I'll just get the dvd when it comes out.

:previous:
It's been and gone.
"W.E." opened in NY and LA on 3 December and had a limited US release on 3 February.

ref: IMDb

I just watched this movie and dear god, what a stinker. The cast was good, the costumes were beautiful, and none of that could make up for the fact that Madonna's "direction" was awful.

WE was beautifully filmed,it had a very good cast,set and locations but that script was dire.

I'm watching it right now and I am tired of Wally and want more Wallis. Despite that Jane Seymour AND Anne Boleyn are in this?! Sweet!

I will admit I was waiting on pins and needles for Lily (Wally is such a stupid name and an obvious weak attempt to connect the two women) to leave her husband. Not to be with the Russian, but to just be free if the git.

Pretty much anything Madonna touches is awful IMO. Never been a fan.

Finished the movie, like most I wasnt too in love with the Lily (refuse to call her Wally) storyline. But as the movie progressed she became more interesting. I felt her finding "true love" and ending up pregnant was just a little too easy and cliche. I also didn't like "Lily" popping up in Wallis' story, the 2x I recall it happening I had to roll my eyes. The movie was sympathetic to W/E and did address the ongoing rumors about them and if they were fabricated. I love Natalie Dormer because of The Tudors, but I feel she plays Elizabeth too much like Anne Boleyn. The movie clearly blames Elizabeth for the estrangement between Bertie and David, I have heard that theory before.

Back
Top Bottom