"W.E" (2012) - Film produced by Madonna on the Abdication of Edward VIII

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Has anyone else seen the picture of Natalie Dormer as Queen Elizabeth?

Yes, I have. She's in the trailer for about 5 seconds and seems to steal her scenes already. So well done to her. Madonna definitely made the QM a villain here :whistling:

I need to see this -a royal subject movie-;) and to see the relationship between Edward viii and wallis Simpson .

Yes, I have. She's in the trailer for about 5 seconds and seems to steal her scenes already. So well done to her. Madonna definitely made the QM a villain here :whistling:
And turned Bertie into a total "wet" manipulated by his wife! :ermm:

The full 2 1/2 minute trailer for W.E. was released this week. I like it much more than the teaser trailer released last month.

The Hollywood Reporter - WE Trailer

Oh wow... I do too. That trailer makes it look a lot more interesting. And I really love Natalie Dormer and I'm excited to see her as Queen Elizabeth.

I think I'll be seeing this one in theatres!

:previous:
Wow. ! That is brilliant. The film is released here in Ireland on January 20th and I'm hoping to see it soon after.

I neither like nor dislike Madonna but anything about David and Wallis enthralls me. I have most drama productions about their life from 90 minute features to the wonderful seven-part "Edward and Mrs Simpson".

I think that it is cool that James and Laurence Fox (brother and nephew of Edward Fox of "Edward & Mrs. Simpson" fame) play King George V and Bertie in Madonna's production. The Fox dynasty are acting royalty, IMO.

I, too, would prefer if the story had concentrated solely on David and Wallis but I'm not going to let that or other people's reviews put me off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. ! That is brilliant. The film is released here in Ireland on January 20th and I'm hoping to see it soon after.

I neither like nor dislike Madonna but anything about David and Wallis enthralls me. I have most drama productions about their life from 90 minute features to the wonderful seven-part "Edward and Mrs Simpson".

I think that it is cool that James and Laurence Fox (brother and nephew of Edward Fox of "Edward & Mrs. Simpson" fame) play King George V and Bertie in Madonna's production. The Fox dynasty are acting royalty, IMO.

I, too, would prefer if the story had concentrated solely on David and Wallis but I'm not going to let that or other people's reviews put me off.

2012 looks like being a big year for Madonna,a movie,new album & a World Tour,that should keep her legions very happy.

I also don't understand the point of the two stories based in different eras. To tell the truth the Wally story appears boring from the trailers; but I could be wrong.

According to Aline, Countess of the Ramonones and friend to the Duchess, (see the 2nd of her "Spy wore/went" books) Wallis hated to be called "Wally".

And turned Bertie into a total "wet" manipulated by his wife! :ermm:

I think he was and I am impressed at how accurate the hairstyles are on Dormer. Dormer is going to be a legend and I think Madonna was right to use her.

According to Aline, Countess of the Ramonones and friend to the Duchess, (see the 2nd of her "Spy wore/went" books) Wallis hated to be called "Wally".

I don't blame her. I'm not sure about other countries but, here in Ireland, the name or term isn't regarded as a flattering one. :eek:

Need.to.see.the.movie. Buy the way anyone know when it comes out here in the US and if it's an independent of worldwide premier movie?

Need.to.see.the.movie. Buy the way anyone know when it comes out here in the US and if it's an independent of worldwide premier movie?

According to the IMDB web site it will be on general release in the USA from February 3rd. It was shown in Los Angeles and New York on Dec 9th, 2011 but that may have been in order to make it eligible for awards such as the Golden Globes etc. ?

W.E. (2011) - Release dates

I don't blame her. I'm not sure about other countries but, here in Ireland, the name or term isn't regarded as a flattering one. :eek:

I can't believe her parents named her Wallis in the first place.

Mirabel said:
Horrible. What were they thinking? :bang:

I know. When my Mom met my Dad his family had a cow they kept in the front yard called Bessie. I can't hear that name without thinking of my grandparents house with a great big cow in front!

Bessie does sound like a cow but at its best isn't Wallis a boys name? If I was cursed with those names I would definitely have to change them.

Bessie came from her aunt, the same one that supported her during the abdication crisis, and Wallis came from her father. Sometimes it was written as Bessiewallis but she later dropped the Bessie part.

Bessie came from her aunt, the same one that supported her during the abdication crisis, and Wallis came from her father. Sometimes it was written as Bessiewallis but she later dropped the Bessie part.

It could have been worse. Wasn't one of her father's names "Teackle". ? :eek:

Sometimes I think that countries like France or Germany that have an agency to approve names have the right idea!

It seems dictatorial but probably saves some poor child a lot of grief!

Sometimes I think that countries like France or Germany that have an agency to approve names have the right idea!

It seems dictatorial but probably saves some poor child a lot of grief!

Good point. Over here David & Victoria Beckham came in for a lot of slagging over the names which they gave their children. So, too, did a member of an Irish pop group, who named his son Koa.

Good point. Over here David & Victoria Beckham came in for a lot of slagging over the names which they gave their children. So, too, did a member of an Irish pop group, who named his son Koa.

Please remove the above if I have gone too far off thread.

I found something which I think is interesting. A few statistics about the use of the name "Wallis" in the USA. The highest usage is in those people who are in the 70 year age group. Wallis Simpson and her notoriety would have been at a height 70 + years ago. Did her fame lead a lot of American parents to call their children after her. ?

Spokeo People Search | Find People Named Wallis

Today we seem to be highly influenced by celebrities with many people naming their children after them. Maybe W.E. will bring the name "Wallis" to a new generation with people finding her a romantic figure and subsequently call their daughters after her. ??

Well when Bessie Wallis was born names like that probably were not terribly unusual. I imagine that a lot of the cutsey names given to baby girls today will seem quite odd to future generations. I always thought parents should consider that the cute name they give to their baby girl will one day be the name of a mature woman who might want to run a business or run the country.

Well when Bessie Wallis was born names like that probably were not terribly unusual. I imagine that a lot of the cutsey names given to baby girls today will seem quite odd to future generations. I always thought parents should consider that the cute name they give to their baby girl will one day be the name of a mature woman who might want to run a business or run the country.

Very good point. Someone who was born the same year as Wallis also had an unusual name,i.e. Mamie Geneva ..... Eisehower ..... First Lady of the United States. !!

If some celebrity called their child after Lake Geneva today we'd be shaking our heads in disbelief. :lol:

Last edited:
Southern people do not necessarily give their children stupid names. There are some southerners who have pretty, nice, and normal names.
Plus I don't think Geneva is a stupid name and it is also a name of a city somewhere in Europe; and naming your child after a place can work out for the best: Asia, Virginia, Brooklyn, Dallas, one of my best friends is named after Guadalupe, etc.
Plus other people not from the south have given their children dumb names, Gwyneth Paltrow anybody?

Last edited:
Granted my name Echo is unique, Southern people do not use unsual names as a rule. As a texas born woman, I find that very insulting.

I was named after a character in a Louis Lamour book, my dad is an avid reader and has always been.

As to the Gwyneth paltrow comment I agree. Apple is truly a silly name.

Southern people do not necessarily give their children stupid names. There are some southerners who have pretty, nice, and normal names.
Plus I don't think Geneva is a stupid name and it is also a name of a city somewhere in Europe; and naming your child after a place can work out for the best: Asia, Virginia, Brooklyn, Dallas, one of my best friends is named after Guadalupe, etc.
Plus other people not from the south have given their children dumb names, Gwyneth Paltrow anybody?

Fair point about place names .... Virginia, Constance (as in, Lake) etc. although the Beckhams got terrible slagging for starting a trend over here by naming the first two boys after places, i.e. Brooklyn, Romeo (Rome). The boys were allegedly conceived in these places.

Actually I quite like the name "Wallis". The only problem with it is that it lends itself to an unflattering nickname but so do a lot of names.

Back
Top Bottom