"Victoria in Dover" (1954)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Prinsara

Heir Apparent
City
A place to grow
Country
Canada
Also known as Mädchenjahre einen Köningin, this is actually a remake of the 1936 original from a 1932 play. The entire thing is available for free on the free Tubi app (and so probably elsewhere). It’s Romy Schneider before she was Sissi, in a very artistic take on the start of Victoria’s reign and how she could have possibly met Albert if they hadn’t met before. :)

Given all the creative and historical liberties in this one, you’d expect it to be either extremely silly or flat-out terrible, but somehow it’s very charming (and I expect it's a German/Austrian production because the BRF wasn’t really allowed to be dramatized in the UK at the time). Romy (who is luminous here, not having to be as tragic as Sissi) is probably a large part of that charm, but the whole cast basically turn in very good performances.

And this actually has my favorite Victoria/Albert dance scene. Made me smile more than the one in The Young Victoria or ITV Victoria.

So I like it, recommend it, and wonder if anyone else has seen it in the past few decades?

Last edited:
Also known as Mädchenjahre einen Köningin, this is actually a remake of the 1936 original from a 1932 play. The entire thing is available for free on the free Tubi app (and so probably elsewhere). It’s Romy Schneider before she was Sissi, in a very artistic take on the start of Victoria’s reign and how she could have possibly met Albert if they hadn’t met before. :)

Given all the creative and historical liberties in this one, you’d expect it to be either extremely silly or flat-out terrible, but somehow it’s very charming (and I expect it's a German/Austrian production because the BRF wasn’t really allowed to be dramatized in the UK at the time). Romy (who is luminous here, not having to be as tragic as Sissi) is probably a large part of that charm, but the whole cast basically turn in very good performances.

And this actually has my favorite Victoria/Albert dance scene. Made me smile more than the one in The Young Victoria or ITV Victoria.

So I like it, recommend it, and wonder if anyone else has seen it in the past few decades?

I have seen this movie 10 years ago in TV and a few weeks ago on Netflix.. Its another Ernst Marischka production, of course its a romance kitsch story. For me its like the Sissi movies, you like with all the artistic liberties or you dont like it..

Back
Top Bottom