"The Young Victoria" (2009) - Film on Queen Victoria's Early Reign

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It has just opened near us in NY. I am going to see it next weekend.

I saw it on the plane to London. I get that's it's based on "The Young" Victoria but as always I would have loved to see more. I love Emily Blunt so I was so happy to see her taking on the role of Queen Victoria. I find Queen Victoria's life extremely interesting. I loved the costumes and the scenery. They did an excellent job with that. The movie was good. I was surprised to see that The Duchess of York was a producer, but then again she did write 'Tea For Ruby', the childrens book - so never mind. If you watch one of the interviews with Emily Blunt.. you will find her talking about her opportunity to actually look at Queen Victoria's old diaries. What I wouldn't give to be able to read those. Wow!

Loved the film, I had NO idea that Princess Bea did a walk on part!!!

I bought it on dvd last week before I went to Austria. I indeed noticed Beatrice immediately. She had quite a few seconds of screen time.
And oh wow, how I loved the movie. It was so beautiful. The connection between Emily and Rupert was spot on. They portrayed Victoria and Albert so brilliantly.

Really one of my favorite movies I've seen and the best I've watched in a long time.

I love this film! I wish it got more attention in the US but I'm sure it is finding an audience all the same.

I really loved this film. Emily Blunt did a wonderful job as Victoria. I bought it on DVD as soon as it was available so I could see it again.

It's remarkable how much Princess Beatrice looks like Victoria.

Last edited by a moderator:
I rented the DVD last night and I was very impressed with it. The really did a great job on the costumes and set designs. They really focused on the movie to be realistic. I'm a big fan of Emily Blunt too.

This movie was okay to me. I like Emily Blunt and Rupert Friend, but I was waiting for the "wow" factor. It didn't sweep me off my feet. I thought the dialogue and sequence could have been better. The switching between scenes was annoying, they didn't get that right. When I saw Beatrice in it, I was astonished. Beatrice caused the movie not to have that "back-in-the-day" setting. It made the movie seem "bootleg". All in all, the film was okay and I wouldn't watch it again. I give it a C-. The costume design was as always, really good.

This movie was okay to me. I like Emily Blunt and Rupert Friend, but I was waiting for the "wow" factor. It didn't sweep me off my feet. I thought the dialogue and sequence could have been better. The switching between scenes was annoying, they didn't get that right. When I saw Beatrice in it, I was astonished. Beatrice caused the movie not to have that "back-in-the-day" setting. It made the movie seem "bootleg". All in all, the film was okay and I wouldn't watch it again. I give it a C-. The costume design was as always, really good.

I must agree with you, It didn't get me at All. I don't feel like Emily Blunt captured the odd gentile HM Queen- Empress Victoria.

The only greatness is their Clothes, which were Remarkable! But i wouldn't watch it again, They didn't capture the real Victoria. I hope someone makes a Deep Victoria movie. Like Elizabeth R, with Glenda Jackson. I want to see her relationship with her children as well. And we all know how strange that was lol

lol I Saw it but wasnt impressed, Victoria Hamilton did a much better job in 2001....

Do you think he was portrayed accuratly in Victoria and Albert with Victoria Hamilton and Jonathan Firth

LOL! I was watching something about Prince Albert on Youtube and they called him "a real stud" because he gave England 9 princes and princesses.

Anyone know any good books about him?

YouTube - ‪Victoria & Albert 1 - Part 8‬‏

I love this part in "Victoria and Albert" in which they show the wedding.Albert turns around and looks at her and he looks amazed!

If only there were a lot of men like Albert today........

Last edited by a moderator:
Edward the 7th/Edward the King more my cup of tea...

Do you think he was portrayed accuratly in Victoria and Albert with Victoria Hamilton and Jonathan Firth
I liked Edward the 7th better. But then Robert Hardy ( Albert ) is my favorite actor.
Not knowing Albert, it is hard to judge the accuracy of an actor's portrayal.

Albert seemed to have portrayed a loving husband and caring father no wonder v fell in love with him and I just love the way Rupert friend played the prince consort in ' the young victoria'

Rupert and Jonathan Firth played great Albert's. Jonathan had more time to develop the role, but Rupert at least remembered that the character he was playing was German.

Im with you Xeina!I have a crush on him and I loved Firth as Albert.

Emily blunt was the queen and Rupert friend was the prince consort and I just have to say that I absolutely love everything about the movie the costumes especially and how they made everything look so regal
Bravo Martin scorsese , Sarah ferguson and the director of the movie and in my opium it should have won more awards. The very first time I saw it I wanted to see it again but now I have my own copy :)

This was rediculous, but when I saw the opening coronation scene I teared up a little. I couldn't help but think of that great woman and what her dynasty and empire would become in her lifetime and was overcome!

Very nice movie. Especially great costume designs. Great visual movie. A great and wonderful love.

I can't wait for two more films to chronicle her middle age and her twilight years.

:flowers:

It's interesting how some films about royalty become huge, award-winning blockbusters (The King's Speech, The Queen) while others are DOA. (The Queen's Sister, Mrs. Brown, etc.). Is it just the execution, or are some royals just more intriguing than others?

Mirabel said:
It's interesting how some films about royalty become huge, award-winning blockbusters (The King's Speech, The Queen) while others are DOA. (The Queen's Sister, Mrs. Brown, etc.). Is it just the execution, or are some royals just more intriguing than others?

That's an interesting point and it is true that some royals capture the imagination more than others, but it can also be about the audience and other factors. There is a substantially larger audience that wants to see a movie about Diana's death (grim though it is) than one who are interested in the monarchs of times past.

I would love to see a movie about George V and Queen Mary but there are not many who would care about him as it has been well established that he was a simple man who shot game and collected stamps (there is no edge to them that you can sell to an audience like a stammer that needs curing or a strained relationship between a mother and daughter in law). They had their foibles but nothing huge or ground breaking happened to them worthy of a movie (maybe the questin of the Romanovs coming to England but that's about it).

Apparently, the Tapestry Room in Belvoir Castle was used as Queen Victoria's new bedroom (when she became ascended to the throne) in Young Victoria

@belvoircastle Verified
Did you know? - The Tapestry Room was used as the new Queen's bedroom in the film Young Victoria starring Emily Blunt, and the four-poster bed was made for the set ✨
#castle #statelyhomes #historichouses #rhs #visitnottingham #visitleicestershire #visitlincolnshire #daysout #nature #countryside #familydaysout #countryestate
13h​

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGrmNosgAmJ/

Back
Top Bottom