"The Tudors" (2007-2010) - Showtime Drama Series on Henry VIII's Reign

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lady Jennifer

Moderator Emeritus
City
DMV Region
Country
United States
I saw online there is a new movie coming out onto Showtime here in the States called "The Tudors". Its going to be shown sometime during the Spring. It stars Jonathan Rhys Meyers as Henry VIII.
I'm hoping it will then come out onto tape so that I could at least rent it.
Here is the trailer for it on YouTube- Link

Last edited:
Sounds good. I hope i can get a copy of it, I find the Tudor period of royalty the most interesting. Jonathan Rhys Meyers is King Henry? hmmm, maybe a young Henry most probably.

Australian said:
Sounds good. I hope i can get a copy of it, I find the Tudor period of royalty the most interesting. Jonathan Rhys Meyers is King Henry? hmmm, maybe a young Henry most probably.

Jonathan Rhys-Meyers is a fantastic actor. From what I have seen, on YouTube, I believe he will blow many of us away.

I'll keep an open mind with this movie, but I have a feeling I won't be disappointed.

Lady Jennifer said:
I saw online there is a new movie coming out onto Showtime here in the States called "The Tudors". Its going to be shown sometime during the Spring. It stars Jonathan Rhys Meyers as Henry VIII.
I'm hoping it will then come out onto tape so that I could at least rent it.
Here is the trailer for it on YouTube- Link

Thank you for this i have seen the trailer and it looks like they haven't spent that much money on it. But i love the Tudors so if they show it in England i'll watch it anyway. Hopefully it will be better than Henry VIII which was shown in England on ITV - now that was bad!!!

As gorgeous as J R-M is, I think he's too skinny and short to pull off Henry VIII.

Oh Jonathan Rhys Meyers. Something different and I can't wait to see him as Henry VIII. It looked, from the trailer, that it was focusing mostly on Henry & Anne. Well it looks interesting.

EmpressRouge said:
As gorgeous as J R-M is, I think he's too skinny and short to pull off Henry VIII.

That's what I think too, except for the gorgeous factor. Maybe it will focus on a young Henry rather than the overweight plump Henry that we all know more.

JRM as Henry VIII? Isn't he little thin?

Gabrielle Anwar as Pss Margaret - nice.

Sorry, do you have any photos?

magnik said:
JRM as Henry VIII? Isn't he little thin?

Gabrielle Anwar as Pss Margaret - nice.

Sorry, do you have any photos?

It doesn't appear there are any photos yet- except for the trailer. But I could be mistaken

I love the Tudors (the historical/real Tudors)...they have always had the makings of a Shakespearn tragedy. That being said....based upon what I see in the trailer.....it looks interesting. I don't know about JRM as Henry. Wasn't he a red head.....they might have cast the Buckingham actor as Henry IMO. But I will give it a try.

Last edited:
Hmm. This would actually be the first time I've ever wanted to subscribe to Showtime. I'll keep my fingers crossed for a DVD release.

kerry said:
Hmm. This would actually be the first time I've ever wanted to subscribe to Showtime. I'll keep my fingers crossed for a DVD release.

Makes me want to subscribe as well. I'm sure they will release it on DVD. Everything else gets released. But it may have to be bought from Showtime direct.

"The Tudors" TV series

For those of us in the States, Showtime has a new series premiering April 1st called "The Tudors" and if you go on The Tudors On Showtime - The Tudors Official Site, you can watch the first two episodes. I don't have Showtime, so unless they make more episodes available online, I won't be able to watch it until or unless they release it on DVD.

Jonathan Rhys-Meyers plays Henry VIII and they made him hot! I mean, the paintings we've seen of him....he was fat and not that attractive, but here you can see just how magnetic he was to women. The one thing I think they took liberties on was his relationship to his daughter Mary. In the first episode, he speaks glowingly of her, picks her and up and is very affectionate; the things I've read on him showed him to be a very distant father as he wanted a son, and she certainly wasn't.

This is by the people who did the Elizabeth I series which starred Helen Mirren.

The idea this time is to show Henry when he was young and vibrant (and on his first marriage). To their styling, he was the Justin Timberlake meets William Windsor of his day. Powerful, pretty and prone to getting whatever he wanted!

Actually, from what I have read on Henry and Mary. He was (in the beginning) at least, a very attentive father. Yes, he wanted a son...but until the affair with Anne Boyeln began, the desire to spilt away from the Church...he was from all reports a doting father (as much as one could be at that time).

I think he was unnecessarily cruel to Mary because he wanted Catherine to bend. If he is cruel to the child, then mother will sacrifice herself to save her child.

Yes, it is recorded that he was a doting father to Mary while still married to Catherine of Aragon. Of course all that came to an end when he Anne Boleyn came into the picture. By the way it is also recorded that he was a very handsome man when he was young.

I've been able to watch the first two episodes on Netflix, before they are aired on April. I have to say I'm already hooked! Too bad that I don't have Showtime but cannot wait for the show to be on DVD.

Sister Morphine said:
For those of us in the States, Showtime has a new series premiering April 1st called "The Tudors" and if you go on The Tudors On Showtime - The Tudors Official Site, you can watch the first two episodes. I don't have Showtime, so unless they make more episodes available online, I won't be able to watch it until or unless they release it on DVD.

Jonathan Rhys-Meyers plays Henry VIII and they made him hot! I mean, the paintings we've seen of him....he was fat and not that attractive, but here you can see just how magnetic he was to women. The one thing I think they took liberties on was his relationship to his daughter Mary. In the first episode, he speaks glowingly of her, picks her and up and is very affectionate; the things I've read on him showed him to be a very distant father as he wanted a son, and she certainly wasn't.

I've seen the first episode and my oh my, Jonathan Rhys-Meyers is gorgeous! I love the way they portray him, just like one would think of a young king.

I want to like this series but the promos going around it remind me of Sofia Coppola's movie Marie Antoinette.

With all the emphasis on Henry VIII being a hot young stud and intimating that his sister Mary poisoned her husband the King of France on their wedding night, the series looks like its trying too hard to relate to a modern audience.

This weeks PEOPLE magazine gave it 3 out of 4 stars. I really wish I could see it :sad: .

Will Queen Jane Seymour be in this film?

Last edited:
LaPlusBelle said:
I've seen the first episode and my oh my, Jonathan Rhys-Meyers is gorgeous! I love the way they portray him, just like one would think of a young king.
ldt20 said:
I've been able to watch the first two episodes on Netflix, before they are aired on April. I have to say I'm already hooked! Too bad that I don't have Showtime but cannot wait for the show to be on DVD.
I too have seen the first two episodes on Showtime on demand (or whatever it's called) and wow. That guy really got around (I suppose thats why all his children showed symptoms characteristic of congenital syphilis)!!! But I'm pretty excited to watch the rest of the season partly because of Henry Cavill who plays Charles Brandon (and was also in the count of monte cristo) but really just the the way the whole thing is layed out; they make it so interesting, I suppose more interesting then it actually would have been (but whatever it's still good)!!

lashinka2002 said:
I'm so unhappy. It's not airing in Canada.

You can watch the first 2 episodes on the Showtime website. Sadly I don't get Showtime at my house :bang: :sad: :cry:
I'm guessing it will be out on DVD at some point.

They have showed ads for the series on the NYC subway and I love getting my eye candy every morning! But really, the series looks so interesting and I wish I had Showtime. I wonder if it'll be released on DVD? It'll be out rather quickly, I'd assume, considering the broadcast-to-dvd turnaround times these days.

Look for the Elizabeth I DVDs. The same producers and network did The Tudors. If they are already released, that should give you an idea of how long it takes, if they (the DVDs) are not, then be prepared for a wait.

I enjoyed both episodes last night and IM just hoping that its a hit for Showtime, so it will have a long run.

Back
Top Bottom