"The Queen's Castle" (2005) - BBC Documentary on a Year at Windsor Castle

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Windsor - Royal Year TV Program

Has anyone seen this program? I heard someway that there are 4 parts. We are only able to see 3 parts. Anyone know anything about it??

I have seen the first two: The Banquet and Royal Ceremonies. It was pretty good and I learned alot about how the castle works. Prince Phillip and The Queen can be seen throughout, so it's a good treat for those who aren't able to see them up close. Next week it will feature more of Prince Phillip and the wedding of Charles and Camilla.

I've only seen one and that was episode two, Four Seasons. I saw more of Prince Philip than of Queen Elizabeth but I really enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to The Ranger. Windsor Castle is truly remarkable!:)

I think this is 'The Queen's Castle'. It's been renamed by the sound of it. I have it on DVD. Great series.

BeatrixFan said:
I think this is 'The Queen's Castle'. It's been renamed by the sound of it. I have it on DVD. Great series.

I tried pulling up The Queen's Castle on PBS to no avail. Here is the link on PBS if you're interested in viewing the page and the dvd for sale. http://www.pbs.org/opb/windsorcastle/

Thats the one. It was called 'The Queen's Castle' here. I've got it on DVD. There's 3 hour long episodes and it's brilliant. Absolutely brilliant series.

BeatrixFan said:
Thats the one. It was called 'The Queen's Castle' here. I've got it on DVD. There's 3 hour long episodes and it's brilliant. Absolutely brilliant series.
Since they are the same program under different names, I've merged this thread with the Queen's Castle thread.

Like many of you,I myself have the DVD....Its wonderful!

Just love the extra footage..

"MII"

yeah I did watch few days ago.. It really very interesting show.. 3 Part next week I can't see it .. I liked it... Wonderful program.....

I have enjoyed what I've seen of the program so far.

Prince Philip seems more amiable than I expected, and I could understand his accent (the Queen seemed to mumble frequently). And the corgis didn't seem to be as poorly behaved as I had heard.

Condolences to the old man heaving the flag, the clock man, and the old knights.

It is available in the US. I watched it last night on the PBS station here in Philadelphia.

I believe the critics from People Magazine gave the series only two stars. What I find amazing is that you guys, along with myself, seem to totally adore this series or at least what we've seen.

My advice to the critics is to leave the royal reviews to the royal watchers!;)

The Queen's Castle was great. I loved to see how everything works in the Castle.

I just bought the DVD set last week, and I haven't stopped watching it. It is just so well done and interesting. It really shows how a working monarchy adds to the economy of the country it is in.
Now, I'm off to watch it again.

The DVD is truly the best fly-on-the-wall documentary made about the Royal Family. It isn't based around media scandal or personal problems - the focus is the Castle. From the Military Knights who live in their grace and favour apartments to the cleaners who vacuum walking backwards - we learn things about the Queen's Castle that we never knew before.

Spot on BeatrixFan.

Without a doubt this is a fantastic DVD series that should not be missed. The program is a must for all royal watchers and if you don't have it yet, ask Santa;) this year.

What I found fascinating are the people who live there permanently. I had no idea. It was interesting to see the inner workings of the castle and what goes on daily. For example, the clock master. Who knew that was a full-time job.

Fascinating series that I could watch over and over again.

Trust me, watching it over and over again is fun! I can't remember a royal doc. that I enjoyed as much, except for "The Windsors: A Royal Family".

Thanks to Elspeth I found this thread and it sounds like the program I watched last night on PBS here in the States called "Windsor Castle A Royal Year". I only caught the last part of it and enjoyed it very much. I can't imagine having a job taking 18 hours to change all the clocks. That's a lot of walking.

This is for sale in the US

Amazon.com: Windsor Castle - A Royal Year: DVD: Barbara Flynn,Edward Griffiths,Mark Flanagan,Michael Ball,Stephen Marshall,Prince Philip,Queen Elizabeth II,Edward Mills (II),David Hasselhoff,Darryl Newman,Felicity Twort,Arnaud Bamberger,Rupert Feathe

There is also a link from the PBS website. I've seen bits and pieces of it but not all of it yet. I loved the scene with the Christmas carolers as well as the part with Prince Philip. He definitely came across as more hands on in supervising events than I expected.

The Queen's Guard is another great documentary, but the Queen's castle has more funs. I have the DVD version in my handle and it is a good collection

Thanks to Elspeth I found this thread and it sounds like the program I watched last night on PBS here in the States called "Windsor Castle A Royal Year". I only caught the last part of it and enjoyed it very much. I can't imagine having a job taking 18 hours to change all the clocks. That's a lot of walking.
I'mso glad you said that. I have Windsor Castle a Royal year and I kept thinking wow there is another one from the same time that has slipped past me? I enjoyed it very much too!:wub:

I finally saw the completion of it last night on PBS.Fabulous! some of the Royal staff have a great sense of humor.The Queen looked great,Prince Philip was frank as usual.And for me, more and more, I really want to go and visit Windsor and soak up all its Royal glory.The Royal Cartier Polo match was divine.So posh,just gorgeous.

Yes it was a great Documentery, i loved every second of it. It made me wish I was royal.

Well you're in luck. Sort of. Someone on YouTube.uk has uploaded Part 1 of the three part series.

Enjoy!:flowers:

YouTube - The Queen's Castle (an excerpt from a documentary series)

YouTube - The Queen's Castle Part2 (a documentary by Universal)

Small clips from the series:

YouTube - Entente Cordiale dinner at Windsor Castle

Rare clips of HM Queen Elizabeth II:

YouTube - The Queen off duty

Queen Elizabeth II Reflects on her life, rare footage:

YouTube - Queen Elizabeth II Reflects on her life, rare footage

YouTube - The Queen's Castle (an excerpt from a documentary series)

Last edited:
Windsor The Queen's Castle had to be one of the best documentaries on The Royal Family. When I ordered it from Amazon in 2006 it came with a special slip on cover to mark The Queen's 60th Birthday

Windsor The Queen's Castle had to be one of the best documentaries on The Royal Family. When I ordered it from Amazon in 2006 it came with a special slip on cover to mark The Queen's 60th Birthday

My DVD in America also came with extra deleted footage that wasn't included in the original television version that aired on PBS here. Wonderful documentary -- I watch it at least a few times a year.

Back
Top Bottom