"The Monarchy Inside" (2010) - DR Documentary on Working Lives of Danish Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd be most grateful to know what Mary, Frederick, and the Queen were saying when the shots of Christian and Isabella were playing. Thank you UserDane for helping us English speakers. :flowers:

I'd be most grateful to know what Mary, Frederick, and the Queen were saying when the shots of Christian and Isabella were playing. Thank you UserDane for helping us English speakers. :flowers:

Your're welcome :) During these pictures the queen says that one's childhood is one's own - and that old and young alike need some privacy, not to be always exposed to the public light. She understands why people are so interested in following the every-day life of the little ones but she clearly feels that the children are entitled to time outside the public eye.

At the Scandinavian Royal Messages Board, Joris has some very interesting and detailed comments about part 2 of the series: The Scandinavian Royals Message Board: Some remarks

Some of my own comments from part 2:

The queen says that she has changed things so many times in the rooms at Fredensborg Castle that she sometimes has difficulties in remembering what should be there; but still when things are missing, she knows! Her comment to the carpet that wasn't laying straight: Let's pretend we didn't see that! - :D

At some point the queen says that it was actually her mother who started putting together furniture from the 1870s-1880s. (There does seem to be an awful lot of furniture and accessories at Fredensborg!).

The master of ceremonies talks a bit about his way of arranging things; says that he does not like to disappoint people and in order to avoid that one cannot be laissez-faire (sorry, if that is spelled wrongly). Things have to be planned and planned carefully.

During the car ride with the CP couple who are going to the airport to greet the Greek president (the first Greek official visit since 1908 I think it was), the commentary is that 'there is room for improvement' in the economic trade relations between Greece and Denmark and that the royal family can serve as an excellent 'icebreaker' – in spite of their political neutrality. CP Frederik talks about the things he can/will discuss with the Greek president.

Mary concludes the car scene: Then I hope it won't be too windy!
Frederik: It's the hat! The princess forgot her hat needle.

(I love the brilliant smiles the queen and Mary exchanges when they greet each other at the airport :))

Comments to the pictures of Frederik picking up Christian and Isabella from kindergarden on his bike: - the CP couple are well aware that their lives are miles away from what is considered an ordinary life, but they insist there must be room for doing some of the ordinary things people do and therefore it is not a media stunt when Frederik picks up the kids on his bike on his own birthday.

Commentary: we (the film crew) are only allowed limited time with the children; they will certainly get their share of public attention. Frederik continues to say that Christian is used to be around certain people, not least his security people and that Christian handles that 'up front'. Mary says about the children that the most important thing is closeness and love but also courage to be the persons they are.

The queen then comments that one's childhood is one's own! " I do understand that people want a glimpse of (their) daily life – but then that is not 'daily' any more. I do hope that people understand that" and "… its important for old and young alike to have a daily life that is not always in the public eye".

Christian and Isabella are put to bed by their parents and not somebody else; and their day ends with a song – and Christian is often able to supply the lyrics when Frederik forgets them.

They say evening prayers as well and Frederik is asked whether he was brought up with that as well to which he answers 'yes'

Last edited:
More notes:

Commentary to the gala dinner: The gala dinner is not reserved for special dignitaries. This is the occasion where 'interested parties' are brought together to 'open doors' and 'gain access to platforms which might not otherwise be accessible".

During the scene with the master of the ceremonies, the commentary is that the CP couple is in a sort of 'advanced trade practice' learning all the finer details of how to represent one's country – and not least the practicalities involved in wearing orders and decorations! The MoC says (they mumble a bit here so it's difficult to hear) something to CP Mary about wearing the Greek order 'at her finest spot', to which Frederik replies with a grin that of course the MoC doesn't know the finest spot on his (Frederik's) wife!

Mary comments on the difficulties of how to wear a foreign order correctly; every one has an opinion on that and you take them all into consideration, but at the end "you go to mother in law and hear what she thinks". Rather sweet :)

The queen says that Frederik is keen on asking question about why things are done in this and that way and to put forward suggestions for alternative ways. She says that both Frederik and Mary are very attentive, very aware of the things that are going on. Frederik, when walking in the wood, says that since there is no final "manual", no job description for the position he will one day fulfill, the best thing to do is to prepare as best he can and learn as much as possible during the time leading up to that event.

As a specialty, guests at Fredensborg are asked to sign their names on a glass plate with a special diamand pen. Later this glass plate will me mounted, side by side by e.g. Nelson Mandela, George Bush etc. The queen says that the first non-royal and non-head of state who ever signed his name on one of these glass plates was Winston Churchill.

Thank you very much UserDane for your translations!! much appreciated.
How interesting this docu is!! I cant wait for the next part!

Thank you Paty :flowers: It's probably not translations as such, more notes I try to make while watching the programme.
It is really an interesting series! I love the way the queen interacts with the various people she gets in contact with.

Thank you for the translation. I have a small request, if anyone knows what the queen says about the prime minister at the first part of the document? Or maybe she talks about relations with the government? Thank you in advance, this will help me very much.

Thanks for your translation! This documentary is so great! This family seems to be nice and quite normal! Mary and Margrethe seem to have a very good relationship! Mary looks so impressed by her mother - in - law!
Can't wait to see the others parts!

I loved seeing the Queen checking over the guest rooms!

One Millions thanks! I love it and enjoy it so much! yes it is great to see the Queen checking the guest rooms, and the bathroom! it was allso great to see Mary and fred living their house all dress up for the gala and see Christian up in her nany armas before to live! one thing surprise me to see them with no seat belts, more surprsie me to see the kids from Joahim and grandpa in the car and not seat belts for the kids!(i the last was in other episode or soemwhere else)is that the y are driving so slow so it isno risk??? it is amazing to see the organization behinf the scene! it is incredible all the people that wokrs there! now I saw a lot of people , like maybe "footmen"? or "waiters"? using medals and sash, anybody could explain me that? wow i had a ball thank you so much! Tusind tak!!!!!:flowers::flowers::flowers::flowers::denmarkstandard::daneflag2:

I was also a little shocked by the lack of seatbelt usage. I'd assume it's done so as not to wrinkle one's clothes, or that it's assumed because of the security cars in front of and behind the royal vehicle it's safer and the car's occupants can go without seatbelts. Still doesn't set a good example though.

I was also a little shocked by the lack of seatbelt usage. I'd assume it's done so as not to wrinkle one's clothes, or that it's assumed because of the security cars in front of and behind the royal vehicle it's safer and the car's occupants can go without seatbelts. Still doesn't set a good example though.
I agree with you 100%, an adult can decide for themselves and it is at their own risk, eventhogu i do not agree but to have the 2 little prinss sitting in a sit of one with no belts, this is a big NO, NO. even if they go slowly becasue of the security cars in the front and behind, It is a long time that i had been in denmark and i did not have my daughter then so i did not pay attention to this, but here in the US there are not way i would have my daighter without seatbelt even if wrinkle her dress for a party! May be some danish in the forum could clarified this a little bit etter, it would be apreciteso so mch

It looked as if the car took the CP couple to the main castle at private roads between the two building complexes. So I guess they could actually take that short ride - not with high speed - without being in conflict wit the traffic laws in force for the public roads.

This really is a fantastic programme and even though I don't speak Danish, I'm really getting in to it!

With regard to not wearing seatbelts, I certainly wouldn't recommend people do without them. However, the law in the UK at least was brought in because people either generally do not drive safely or are at the mercy of others who don't. and so the risk is always there if you don't wear a seatbelt. People are still killed with or without seatbelts. I'm sure if we were all driven around by professional drivers in safer cars and at safer speeds there would be no need for seatbelts at all - or we could go back to the days when you had to have a chap walk in front of your vehicle with a flag!

It looked as if the car took the CP couple to the main castle at private roads between the two building complexes. So I guess they could actually take that short ride - not with high speed - without being in conflict wit the traffic laws in force for the public roads.

I can understand that, but some of the scenes were on public roadways too.

I can understand that, but some of the scenes were on public roadways too.
Yes, they were. I don't know whether it had to do with the special 'official' cars we saw. There has been plenty of pictures of e.g. Frederik and Mary taking their children into their 'ordinary' cars and buckling them up.

This is true we saw several times buckling them up but they are younger too fromjoachim kids!

Is anyone from Canada having trouble getting these programs? I have tried many ways, from different links provided and all that happens is the message "waiting for video" and the video never appears. I wonder if it is blocked for Canada, although I notice that the US posters are seeing the video? Most frustrating!

Is anyone from Canada having trouble getting these programs? I have tried many ways, from different links provided and all that happens is the message "waiting for video" and the video never appears. I wonder if it is blocked for Canada, although I notice that the US posters are seeing the video? Most frustrating!

Bosana, try searching on You Tube for it. I don't know if it has made its way there yet, but it is worth a try.

Is all of your video software up to date? I tried watching the program on a computer I know doesn't have the latest versions of video software like Flash, Windows Player, QuickTime and/or RealPlayer and I got the same response as you. Yet when I used my computer at home, which is as up to date as I can make it (I use a Mac), I had no problem watching the program.

Hmm.... no luck on youtube. I suppose it's too early for it to be up there. I thought my video software was up to date, but I shall have to ask my computer-genius son (haha, they all seem to be at that age) to have a look. Thank you so much for your responses sgl and adamari.

i don't know if this helps, but i am able to watch the program perfectly. I am on sympatico ( not dial-up, not high-speed) and am able to watch it from the dr.dk site. BTW the program is beautifully done, despite my lack of knowledge of danish:)

I'm loving this series and am wondering whether this will be published on DVD? If not, is it possible to save the videos to my hard drive somehow? I'd hate losing access to these delightful insights into the Danish monarchy!

Hmm.... no luck on youtube. I suppose it's too early for it to be up there. I thought my video software was up to date, but I shall have to ask my computer-genius son (haha, they all seem to be at that age) to have a look. Thank you so much for your responses sgl and adamari.

You might try a different web browser. Sometimes if a video doesn't work on one browser, it works fine on another. Just a thought.:)

All right, I hate (and I use that word lovingly!) Marie for being so skinny after giving birth!

Greenland's national costumes are very interesting. The women's seems to have fur across the buttocks, which seems practical if sitting but looks odd when standing.

And Joachim and Marie speak French to each other?

very cool videos, i really liked hearing marie and joachim speaking french and also marie speaking both english and danish in the video. it was also seeing the dinner of frederik and mary with caroline heering and friends on the boat and them playing with the children. seeing caroline in the video was also a great surprise! i find her very lovely. marie's lady in waiting, marianne engel, was also there!

Back
Top Bottom