"The Monarchy Inside" (2010) - DR Documentary on Working Lives of Danish Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In the last esp. 6, there was a scene of the CP couple in the car riding to a dinner whilst in Viet. It was very interesting to see her applying lip gloss in the car...somehow it give a human touch to it all. But at the same time, it also made me think, does the princess does her own hair and make-up or do they bring along a hair & make-up stylist? what about when they're not overseas? CP Mary is always faultless madeup...

In the last esp. 6, there was a scene of the CP couple in the car riding to a dinner whilst in Viet. It was very interesting to see her applying lip gloss in the car...somehow it give a human touch to it all. But at the same time, it also made me think, does the princess does her own hair and make-up or do they bring along a hair & make-up stylist? what about when they're not overseas? CP Mary is always faultless madeup...
I think many of us ask the same question, the way her hair is i am sure she has a hairdresser at all times with her and the make up may be it is the same person who does the hair, i think it is too perfect make up to do it herself and in the case of state visit they go with so many people that one more or 2 will not make a diference! she has to have at leasr one person doing this and even a person just for dressing her, imagin all this gowns going in a plane , they arrive full of wrinkles, she must have somebody taking care of her wardrowe, once they arrive their and open tha lugage they iron everything and like when she use tiaas,, sashes , the elephant order the stars , she can not put that herself on the dress sombody is foing it for her, i bet!

i hope somebody can translate the videos...i really enjoyed the series...hope there'll be more. I wish princess mary agrees to an oprah interview...at least to have a glimpse of their everyday life as a family.....really great job to whoever made the documentaries

I loved hearing Isabella talking to Mary when Christian was riding the pony - what a doll! I just want to take her home with me. :angel:

I felt bad for Isabella that she wan't offered a ride on the pony

I just saw the last episodo! i love it specially to see Marie in the kitchen eating with Joachim, like in everyday lunch, very normal, like commonurs, lovely!!!!!!!!!!

I wish we could have seen more of this beautiful kitchen -- it looks large, but very workable. Joachim & Marie both said they love to cook.

Their home, Schackenborg is 1,632 square meters and has 41-rooms...wonder if they have live in help, or the help just comes in daily....no wonder she keeps her great figure just running in and out of 41-rooms......

wow 41 rooms what they do with so many rooms, like a hotel!!!!

I heard on Monday that this show will air on Monday here in Sweden on a show called the royal wedding 2010. I don´t know if they will show every episodes though.

i just watched, i really enjoy it, i love when they show all the details about the parties and the new years gala photoshoot! just surprise me that in private Mary and Marie go on the almost knee to the Queen, I thought it was too formal! I love to see all this footman in tis incredible uniforms and athe medals awards etc....it is so magnificent!!!! thank you so much for post ign it!!!!!!!!

It was nice to see Queen Margarethe's hair style neatly for the television broadcast, compared to the messy slept-on look she's had for the interviews.

And I'm shocked to see P. Joachim smoke!

By watching the video and hhough I do not understand Danish I think what you can clearly see is that there are many people working to the royal family behind the scenes and taking care that everything turns out perfect. I think that these videos above all appreciate mostly the efforts of the Danish royal family's staff. A very nice TV production!

By watching the video and hhough I do not understand Danish I think what you can clearly see is that there are many people working to the royal family behind the scenes and taking care that everything turns out perfect. I think that these videos above all appreciate mostly the efforts of the Danish royal family's staff. A very nice TV production!

my thoughts exactly. i think it really shows how much behind-the-scenes work is needed, from organising the trip details to checking out the hotel rooms that the royal and princely couples will use. it's rather incredible.
it seems that the DRF has really competent people in their team.

Not sure where to post this.

This a is summary of segment 5, of the TV documentary: The Royal House from within".
The summary is divided into two parts, first part being based on an article in Billed Bladet. The second part is my impressions from watching the segment.

In the next segment of the DRF documentary, there is focus on Mary and la Marie and how they learn Danish.
La Marie is the type of person who learn better when she is on the move, that's why she will be seen pacing through the living rooms of Schackenborg, while she is learning a speech.
She struggles: "That's why I know how much it means for your personal developement to complete an education". And more struggle: "So that you can do an extra effort" - "kan yde" - She keeps repeating until the pronounciation is there.
She explains: "Æ, Ø and Å are difficult. We also know Æ and Ø in French. But Å is unique for the Danish language".

Just before she is giving her rehersed speech at Southern Danish University and go on the podium, she states: "There are a lot of guests".

Well back at home, Joachim smiles: "That went really well". Marie: "You think"?

This was her second speech at the university and she commented: "I'd like to do an effort for the Southern Jutlandic Region (*), where I live myself".

Mary is very aware of what she is saying in her speeches, the content is important. And often the speeches take form while she is running in Fredensborg Park.
She explains: "It's simply so important to have the language in you. To be a part of this land and the culture and history of the country and really understand Denmark, what is Danish and the Danes". While sitting in her office in Kancellihuset.

Then it's off to a conference in the Mary Foundation with Caroline Heering and they are rehersing on the back seat of the car. And Caroline corrects a little mistake in the grammar in the speech Mary wrote: "It's called a human being, and not an (human being)". Mary says: "Uh, I hope I have remembered all of it". One of the words Mary struggles with and has to repeat many times is: "Voldsudøvende = someone who is being violent or in the process of committing violence. (**)

Initially Mary simply translated English word directly into Danish, but she soon learned that that didn't work: "But that didn't work. And it was frustrating because I've spend all my life until I turned 30-31 to express myself in one language. And then suddenly I had to learn not just to speak a new language, but also to think in a new language".

Marie also says: "The least you can do, when you are recieved well in a new country is to learn the language. I want to be able to speak to all Danes I meet. (***) That's very important".

(*) Region = in this context meaning large county or a province. A large Amt in German. I.e. an administrative area.

(**) Voldsudøvende is word with which even natives can end up having tied their tounges into a knot! It's a somewhat academic word.

(***) I remember Marie talking about how some of her friends teased her a little because she speaks Danish with a slight Southern Jutlandic accent.

----------------

Mary is seen running along with Ziggy and she several times calls for the dog to stay close, before obviously giving up. She says she thinks more clearly when running.
Mary's mastery of Danish is excellent. She does make the odd grammattical error, but so do we natives, albeit different mistakes. She has a distinct accent and I sometimes have to concentrate on what she is saying. I don't think she will ever lose that accent and that is pretty charming.

La Marie prounounce the words very carefully when she reads out aloud and indeed when she is talking, as any beginner dealing with new language is. Mary is past that, she just talks.
Marie is actually easier to understand than Mary, because her pronounciation is so very good. But there is distinct hesitation, typical of someone who has to mentally look the words up.
I believe Marie will eventually speak Danish with less accent than Mary.

We follow a lot of the preparations behind the scenes in connection with the IOC meeting and the staff, not least Lene Balleby, are showing signs of stress.
The Master of Ceremonies is not for anything an ex-officer in the army. He corrects some of the guardsmen in their saluting. A basic mistake actually and remember that they are conscripts. - Interference is incidentally someting a detachment NCO and officer hates!
QMII talks about the three US Presidents who have been visiting, Clinton, Bush, Obama, as all being pleasant and relaxed/down to earth.
When Obama leaves one from the staff of the courts says: "Goodbama".

As you know Frederik was grilled at his press conference, when he joined the IOC!
We see him and his staff prepare him. He knows he will face critical questions and he is ready to face the press, but also a little nervous.
He says afterwards that is was a great learning experience for him, and his staff, through him. - But it's not something he'd like to go through every year!
The journalists are also seen preparing their tactics. In this case no less than seven reporters from Ekstra Bladet - and they smell blood!
Mary says that she find the critisism of Frederik joining the IOC a bit unfair, as the issue were valid ten years ago and not today.

At the end we see Mary and Frederik talking. It was a sweet story about Christian.
He had pointed at a horse dropping and asked: "What's that"?
Mary explained: It's a "hestepære". (Which is the Danish word for a horse dropping. Directly translated that means a "horse-pear").
Christian replied: "No, it's a "prut" = fart". (Prut is a nicer word for fart and it's often used by small children).
- So of course Christian must have ben thinking: That's got nothing to do with a pear! Mommy must be babbling!

Summary of segment six of the documentary regarding the DRF, as aired recently on DR1:

The emphasis was almost entirely on the state visit to Vietnam.

The scenes shift between a delegation from the court going to Vietnam, two months prior to the visit. A “fortropsbesøg” (Note that word), which means vanguard visit.
A meeting at Amalienborg with the Regent Couple and the CP couple. One of several meetings, where the various items during the visit are being discussed. The DRF have studied Vietnam and the schedule beforehand and they can now ask questions. Like QMII asking: “Why visit a flag factory? It sounds interesting but why”?
Or QMII pointing out that by cap ride in the streets of Hanoi are private?!? PH making it clear that it is most unlikely that they would be riding in Hanoi without photographers present. QMII pronounce the word “cykle” = riding on a bicycle in a now archaic way. She pronounce it “cikle”, with an i. The modern pronounciation is “cykle”, with an audible and hard y.
And the visit itself.

The first thing we see is Christian Eugen Olsen correcting the Vietnamese orchestra in playing the royal anthem.
Later during the visit, he realise the he has been rehearsing with the left half of the orchestra! The right half do not play the anthem particularly well!

We see Frederik visiting a Danish exhibition for the commerce delegation and he explains that he ask questions in order to get people to tell about the product and if he can understand what they are telling him, others will too.

A stylish little detail was when Frederik visited a brewery. Just before he was to shake hands with the government minister present, he quickly shakes hand with someone from his staff and ask: “Who is it I will be shaking hands with”? The minister for commerce. – A very discreet way to deal with such a problem

The court delegation also sample the various menus that may be served at the return dinner. And they select a menu that is suitable and quick to serve.

At the end Christian Eugen Olsen is asked whether he believe the visit went well. - Yes.
Would he say it, if it hadn’t? – No.

An interesting detail was that at a standard international state visit a delegation consists of two persons and a fifteen member staff. They are cared for and paid for by the host nation. The press will have to pay for themselves and the same thing goes for the trade delegation.

In between all of this we get a glimpse of a normal lunch at Schackenborg. Just Joachim and la Marie being themselves.

We also follow the CP couple and Bella going to the stables, so that Christian can learn how to ride a horse. Isabella looks on with mother. And at some point she is “fishing” for chocolate. But Mary says: “But you hate chocolate”. Noooo!

There is also a meeting between a producer from the Oprah show and Lene Balleby. They want to interview Mary and in particular her private life. Sorry, the DRF are very reluctant to discuss their private life. – So the request was declined.

Summary of segment seven about the DRF, as shown on DR1:

This last segment dealt with the New Year speech, the State Council, the New Year Court on the 1. January and very briefly the COP15.

The New Year speech is always aired live, regardless of the occasional mistakes or dachshunds barking in the background. This is QMII’s opportunity to speak directly to the people and it’s also an opportunity for her to address issues that may be more or less political and even controversial. That is one of the few strays from the very strict political neutrality of the Monarch.
A draft is forwarded from Statsministeriet (the PM’s office) in November. QMII and her advisors take it apart, add a few things, leave out something and put a more personal touch on the speech, which in this case meant that the final draft was ready on the 27th December.
We see some of the staff talking about the significance of the New Year speech and we see the preparations prior to the speech. Including a very focused cameraman. Nothing must go wrong!
Joachim tells about the first New Year speech that he can remember, it must have been in 1974 or 75. La Marie interjects: “You didn’t understand much though”. (So she can now follow a Danish conversation very well). Joachim admits that was true. He was only a child.
Mary tells about the New Year speech as she and Frederik (and others present) experience it. Everything is ready, champagne is poured and there is silence. When the speech has been made, there is a debate about what was said among those presents.

The State Council is held about 15 times a year. The protocol is very strict and it’s a very formal affair. The film crew were not allowed to be present at this State Council that is according to QMII out of respect of the State Council.
In this case 40 laws (passed bills actually, as it is not strictly speaking valid before the Regent has signed the bill and not enforcable until the law has been announced), are to be signed. Frederik as the Crown Prince is also present as he has been since he was 18.
While Frederik talk about the State Council and among other things how they approved his engagement to Mary, Mary jokingly breaks in: “What would have happened if they had not approved the engagement”. Frederik responds that this is a very hypothetical situation. – (The approval of the is only a formality as the engagement has long since been presented to the Prime Minister and the Parliament and should there be any objections, the State Council wouldn’t even have had it on the agenda).

We also see a pretty tired Frederik being briefed about the COP15.

The New Year Court is a very formal affair, where the absolute top brass of the society pay their respects to the DRF, as indeed people used to do beforehand. It was normal to pay a visit to your friends and other associates on the first day of the New Year.
Mary talks about the New year Court. Where she finds herself standing in historic surroundings, wearing the ruby parure with her husband and others in gala uniforms. She might just have well have moved 300 years back in time. – It’s obviously something that impresses her deeply.
We also see some of the staff test the legendary Rosenborg Wine. It is drinkable and an “experience”!

Muhler, thanks for you wonderful summaries, such great information you provide! much appreciated. I like very much your description of all details, specially of the danish words.

You are a great addition to The Royal forums, nice you join us. :flowers:

By the way, the summaries should be posted here, as we have a special thread for the DR Series. But dont worry a Danish Moderator will move it for you later.

Last edited:
Thank you, Paty. :)

Please do not hestitate to advise me and provide feedback.

I look forward to writing commentaries on the upcoming Russian state vist to Denmark.
And there will no doubt be plenty of articles about the birthday celebrations in Billed Bladet next week and I expect to write a number of summaries.

Thank you, Paty. :)

Please do not hestitate to advise me and provide feedback.

I look forward to writing commentaries on the upcoming Russian state vist to Denmark.
And there will no doubt be plenty of articles about the birthday celebrations in Billed Bladet next week and I expect to write a number of summaries.

Your translations are really great. Many thanks and welcome here Muhler.

I love to hear Christian and Isabella speaking but unfortunately I don’t know Danish. Thanks Muhler ! Your translations are much appreciated. :flowers:

Dear Muhler
Thank you so very much for providing all that summary!!!

I've been watching this on iTunes and I find it all really interesting... I wonder if the other Royal families will something like this?

So here it is.

Still figuring out where things are on the forum.

You are all most welcome. :)

Thank you so much for the translation Muhler! I was wondering, however, if you could translate what Mary was singing to the children in Episode 6. It seemed quite cute and sweet.

Have just finished watching all seven parts. Really enjoyed seeing 'inside' parts of the lives of the royal family. Thank you to userdane and muhler for all your translations.

I'm so slow in watching this! I've watched only a few episodes. Are these links still valid to watch?

there are english subtitles for the documentary as australian network bought the rights to air it.there's only 1 episode as of now

SBS Video Player

Back
Top Bottom