The Last Duel (2021)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

An Ard Ri

Super Moderator
Site Team
City
An Iarmhí
Country
Ireland
The Last Duel (2021)

New French Historical Movie

Based on true events at the Court of King Charles VI of France this movie will see several historical figures getting some onscreen attention.
Filming took place in France and also in Ireland

Its set for release in mid October of this year and is directed by Ridley Scott
The Last Duel will have its World Premiere at this years Venice Film Festival in September 2021

See cast below
Ben Affleck as Pierre Comte d'Alençon
Matt Damon as Jean de Carrouges
Jodie Comer as Marguerite de Carrouges
Adam Driver as Jacques Le Gris
Alex Lawther as King Charles VI
Serena Kennedy as Queen Isabeau

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Duel_(2021_film)

Thanks for this, I loved the trailer and its defo a movie I want to see. There are hardly any movies anymore around like this one. Matt Damon and Adam Driver, really promising.

I am looking forward to it also and looks promising but will wait for the reviews .

Filming took place at in Dordogne, France then onto Berzé-le-Châtel in Bourgogne-Franche-Comté before moving to Ireland where more filming took place at Bective Abbey, County Meath and Cahir Castle, County Tipperary .

Last edited:
This looks interesting, but I agree that waiting for reviews might be a good idea. It's such a famous event, I'm wondering how closely the movie will stick to the historical record. On the other hand, I'm inclined to watch just about anything that has Harriet Walters in it, even in a secondary role.

Yes Harriet Walters is cast as Dame Nicole de Buchard the mother of Jean de Carrouges (Matt Damon).

Ok I watched this over Christmas and while it was beautifully shot with fantastic sets and costumes it was overly long and took far too long the tell the full story.

Harriet Walters was excellent as the mother in law from from hell, the king of France had a minor part but with an American an accent and queen Isabeau had a non speaking part.
Ben Affleck stunk as a bleach blonde Pierre Comte d'Alençon which was terrible casting in my opinion.

That sounds disappointing overall, what a shame. Bad Harriet Walters might be worth a quick watch because she elevates whatever she's in, but Ben Affleck sounds horrifying.

I saw it on Disney+ over Christmas and I liked it. But then, I really like this type of 'big' movie, and I love Matt Damon. But I can see where the critics are coming from. The story is being told from 3 perspectives so there is a lot of overlapping.

Harriet Walters, Judie Comer and Adam Driver were excellent. Did I already mention that I love Matt Damon? ;) Ben Affleck was certainly miscast with his bleach blond hair behaving like a pimp every step of the way.

So even if you don't like Matt Damon, in my opinion the story is good and the movie worth watching.

Matt Damon was in Ireland filming scenes for the Last Duel when Ireland went into lockdown and he and his family had an extended stay at a mansion in Dalkey near Dublin.

Sadly the movie was a bomb having cost $100 million and grossed just over $30.6 million.

Ben Affleck has been nominated as Worst Supporting Actor for his role in The Last Duel as Pierre Count d'Alençon at the 42nd Golden Raspberry Awards which aew set to make place at the end of March.

Back
Top Bottom