"The King's Speech" (2010) - Film about George VI of the United Kingdom

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wait...who did Mr. Collins play in the The King's Speech?

There was one actor who looked really familiar but I couldn't place him. Maybe that's who it is.

He was the theater director who rejects Lionel in the beginning of the movie. :flowers:

:previous:Thats exactly who he is. Thanks!

I just saw The King's Speech today and the Golden Globes are tonight, I think. The movie was wonderful and certainly deserves the awards. And it kept my teenage son interested and we went over a lot of history on the way home.

About the swear words and whether QEII would have problems with her father using them in the movie -- I think one thing to remember is her age. I know my parents would be mortified to see either set of their parents using those words on the big screen. (And I know at least one of my grandfathers did indeed use those words, not be mention my father). Because of the times they were brought up in, however, the idea of the whole world seeing a parent use that language, even in the context it was used in the movie, would just be something not done.

All that aside, it was a great movie.

QEII would definitely not approve of the obscene language, but I'd like to think she would appreciate the movie as it portrays her father's courage and work to overcome adversity.
Oh and I am watching the Golden Globes as well and fully expect The King's Speech to walk away with many well deserved accolades.

Oh, I definitely agree about the portrayal of George VI, but as my parents get older I am more and more reminded of generational differences. Sometimes when I see comments about how QEII and PP say certain things or how they feel about certain things I feel like people forget their age and the time in which they were brought up.

I hope The King's Speech pulls down a few of those GGs tonight. I'd think it's a lock for several.

I just saw this movie yesterday. One of the biggest points that I saw was how cruel his family could be (mother, father, brother, nanny). :ermm: Also, I liked how swearing helped him fix his speech...the entire theatre laughed at that! :lol:

The movie is a success and rightfully so. He used the words and had a terrible temper, they called his gnashes. He was a good person, all the other stuff came with the package.

I'm on pins and needles watching the Golden Globes. Nothing for The King's Speech yet but it's not over. Can you say Best Picture?

I loved The King's Speech! When I don't want a movie to end... well... yep I just loved it! I hope it wins Best Picture although I did like The Social Network sooo for me it is a tough call!

Sorry if I ruin it for anyone but Colin Firth won Globe for best actor in King's Speech-very well deserved IMO!!!

I'm SOOOO happy for Colin Firth...........I don't care for awards shows and so I didn't watch, but this is a good sign (I think) for the Oscars. He truly deserved this award...........

Very well deserved indeed. And he has to win the Oscar, not so much for just the King's Speech but for A Single Man as well!

I saw this movie and loved it! Colin Firth thoroughly deserved the best actor and I would have liked Geoffrey Rush to get best supporting actor.

Nazi slurs may hurt Oscar chances for The King's Speech | Metro.co.uk

I hope this is not true. I'm not thrilled that George VI prevented Jews from leaving Germany (yes, I'm Jewish, but I'd feel that way even if I wasn't), but in no way do I think the man was a Nazi sympathizer. I've read stuff on the blog - the British Jews loved him and mourned his death. I can't explain what he did here, but it's sure not as straighforward as this Feinberg is making it out to be.

This movie was not a documentary about the entire life and times of George VI. I actually think a documentary would be very interesting... but in any case, the King's Speech should not be penalized for what it's not.

Colin Firth got a Best Actor Golden Globe last night,

I just saw The King's Speech today and the Golden Globes are tonight, I think. The movie was wonderful and certainly deserves the awards. And it kept my teenage son interested and we went over a lot of history on the way home.

About the swear words and whether QEII would have problems with her father using them in the movie -- I think one thing to remember is her age. I know my parents would be mortified to see either set of their parents using those words on the big screen. (And I know at least one of my grandfathers did indeed use those words, not be mention my father). Because of the times they were brought up in, however, the idea of the whole world seeing a parent use that language, even in the context it was used in the movie, would just be something not done.

All that aside, it was a great movie.

I don't think the Queen would have a problem at all with the portrayal of her father swearing as she has already made it clear that he did.

Some years ago she was somewhere and someone swore in her presence and she made a comment along the lines of 'I am the daughter of a sailor, the wife of a sailor and the mother of sailors - let him say what he likes.'

Exactly, I don't think QEII wld have minded the swearing at all. I imagine her laughing at it like everyone else, she has proven to enjoy a wicked sense of humour. And I love that sailor line, thanks for that.

There is a terrible historical inaccuracy in the scene when Bertie is asking his brother, the monarch, what he has been doing. When he replies "kinging" his brother Bertie replies, "what about the Czar, what about cousin Wilhelm?"
The Czar and Kaiser Wilhelm were of his FATHER's generation, they would have been dead!

Otherwise, especially H BC interpretqtion of QuE was beyond wonderful

Frelinghighness said:
There is a terrible historical inaccuracy in the scene when Bertie is asking his brother, the monarch, what he has been doing. When he replies "kinging" his brother Bertie replies, "what about the Czar, what about cousin Wilhelm?"
The Czar and Kaiser Wilhelm were of his FATHER's generation, they would have been dead!

Not sure what year movie takes place but what about Wilhelm II? He ruled until 1941 I think....could it be him?

I don't think the Queen would have a problem at all with the portrayal of her father swearing as she has already made it clear that he did.

Some years ago she was somewhere and someone swore in her presence and she made a comment along the lines of 'I am the daughter of a sailor, the wife of a sailor and the mother of sailors - let him say what he likes.'

LOL I love that line.........but I doubt she's seen the movie. Her mother thought it too painful to relive during her lifetime and I would imagine the Queen wouldn't be too keen on that..............

The film starts in 1925, Tsar Nicholas II was dead but Kaiser Wilhelm II was alive.

Not sure what year movie takes place but what about Wilhelm II? He ruled until 1941 I think....could it be him?

Wilhelm II reigned till 1918, not 1941.

BAFTAS 2011: The King's Speech leads nominations with 14 nods, Colin Firth set to win | Mail Online

I think the reference to Wilhelm and Nicholas has more to do with their style of government and what happened to them. Even if George VI and Edward VIII were not technically their "peers" they were cousins who reigned and were deposed as monarchs, and as such served as a reminder of what could potentially happen in England.

Both sons were WII vets (though of course they were kept from the front line). Edward VIII was very comfortable in Germany. I read in a book that after the War, Bertie had met a cousin (I believe a sister of the Kaiser) who had stated that she had hoped that they (the German and British royal family) could be friends again. Bertie replied that he didn't think that would happen. And George V never spoke to Wilhelm after the war EVER.

Last edited:
Yes, Wilhelm died while in exile during WWII in the Netherlands.

Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | Express Yourself :: How truthful is the King’s Speech?-

I haven't seen the movie as it isn't on at my local theatre anymore (it had a one day run and no one went to see it so when I went to see it on about Day 3 of its release it had already been removed) but this historian is totally correct - Churchill was on the outer throughout the 30s, supported Edward VIII during the Abdication Crisis, wasn't George VI's first choice to be appointed PM in 1940, George would definitely have preferred Halifax at that time (although I have read it was a tooth problem not a stomach problem) etc.

Churchill most certainly wasn't advising the King before 10th May, 1940 when he was asked to form his government. Basic research not done well here I am afraid - and not hard to get right, actually adding to the story as it also would show the King changing his mind about a major figure.

I think the reference to Wilhelm and Nicholas has more to do with their style of government and what happened to them. Even if George VI and Edward VIII were not technically their "peers" they were cousins who reigned and were deposed as monarchs, and as such served as a reminder of what could potentially happen in England.

Both sons were WII vets (though of course they were kept from the front line). Edward VIII was very comfortable in Germany. I read in a book that after the War, Bertie had met a cousin (I believe a sister of the Kaiser) who had stated that she had hoped that they (the German and British royal family) could be friends again. Bertie replied that he didn't think that would happen. And George V never spoke to Wilhelm after the war EVER.

They actually both served in WWI and George VI most certainly was at the front line - well as much as the navy was - he served at the only major battle of the war - the Battle of Jutland and people on his ship died in that battle. Edward served as a Staff Officer and many of them died, behind the lines, so being in France was still dangerous - he mightn't have been in the actual trenches but he was at the front.

I find it interesting that you have that line attributed to Bertie as I have always seen it being a line that Queen Mary wrote to the Kaiserein during the war. The Empress wrote and made the comment that she hoped they could be friends again when the war was over and Queen Mary replied that she didn't think that would be possible.

George V wouldn't have worried about not speaking to Wilhelm again - he didn't really ever like him but George V did miss Nicholas and, I think regretted very much that he was unable to help him, but realised that he had to put his own family first.

Back
Top Bottom