"The King's Speech" (2010) - Film about George VI of the United Kingdom

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Am I the only one who had trouble seeing Timothy Spall as Winston Churchill instead of Wormtail (Peter Pettigrew, from Harry Potter)?

Otherwise, fabulous. I'm deciding when I'm going to see it again.

Last edited:
Am I the only one who had trouble seeing Timothy Spall as Winston Churchill instead of Wormtail (Peter Pettigrew, from Harry Potter)?

I saw the film on Monday afternoon. My thought about Timothy Spall was that he seemed more like a parody of Churchill. Colin Firth gave an excellent performance, even though he doesn't look much like KGVI. And Helena Bonham Carter was superb as QE.

The theater where I saw the film was showing it on two screens; the auditorium I was in was fairly full, even though it was a weekday afternoon. I don't go to movie theaters that often any more (the last time was 2006), but I decided I had to see this film, and I'm glad I did.

I look forward to seeing it on television eventually (although a couple of scenes will have to be edited ;)), and I will want to add the DVD to my collection when it comes out!

Otherwise, fabulous. I'm deciding when I'm going to see it again.

You are right, the audience laughed out loud whenever he came on screem. A bit too much of a caricature(SP?) IMO. Plus he's too short to play Churchi.l.

There was an interview on US television (Charlie Rose show) with Tom Hooper which was very interesting. He spoke of how the King George VI had to have been in the worst position at the time this film takes place. He didn't want to be king but it was
thrust upon him. Prior to this time monarchs were only heard by their intimates and those close by them, broadcasting was in it's infancy. But with King George VI radio became the popular medium and everyone now would hear the monarch.
He was expected to speak in public which was torture for a man with a speech impediment. But the fact he was able to rise above this and do what he did made him a great king. He noted while many know of the Queen Mum people forget the King she was married to.

There was an interview on US television (Charlie Rose show) with Tom Hooper which was very interesting. He spoke of how the King George VI had to have been in the worst position at the time this film takes place. He didn't want to be king but it was
thrust upon him. Prior to this time monarchs were only heard by their intimates and those close by them, broadcasting was in it's infancy. But with King George VI radio became the popular medium and everyone now would hear the monarch.
He was expected to speak in public which was torture for a man with a speech impediment. But the fact he was able to rise above this and do what he did made him a great king. He noted while many know of the Queen Mum people forget the King she was married to.

I heard that - very interesting stuff. Had he become King years earlier, radio wouldn't have been an issue. Had he become King a few years later, they could have edited his broadcasts. I loved the line about how previously, all a King had to do was not fall off his horse, lol. What I find interesting and really touching is that the British people had real sympathy for this poor guy and what he was going through. Not only didn't they mock him, but they rooted for him. His dying early and the Queen Mother living to an amazingly old age didn't do much for his reputation in posterity, unfortunately. That's one thing the books I've read mentioned - that despite the fact that George VI was very well-loved and respected at the time of his death, historians tend to look down on him (dull and stupid) and history hasn't treated him very well as such.

Tabby had mentioned that Colin Firth doesn't resemble George VI at all and that's true, but I thought Hooper's comment about both sharing a core of goodness and decency to be true. It wasn't anything that was going to bother me anyway, but once you get into the movie, Firth IS George VI - he inhabits the role completely.

Yes, sadly true. Some think that she was called the Queen Mother because she was the Queen's Mother, which is certainly true of the "Mum" part, but not the "Queen" part.

T He noted while many know of the Queen Mum people forget the King she was married to.

I don't imagine the Queen will be too eager to see it, but I thought I read awhile ago that some members of the Royal Family had seen the movie and loved it.

I would think the Queen would love such sympathetic portrait of her father & mother whom she loved and revered. I thoroughly enjoyed the portrayal of King George VI & Queen Elizabeth the Consort's close relationship with Elizabeth & Margaret.

Good? It's stutterly brilliant!

The King's Speech: Good? It's stutterly brilliant! | Mail Online - 7 January 2011

The rumours are completely true. The superlatives are completely justified. Colin Firth really does give the performance of his life as the Queen’s father, George VI. But his is not the only stellar achievement in a wonderful British film that’s *certain to challenge America’s finest at this year’s Oscars.

The story of how the shy, sensitive, unambitious Albert, Duke of York rose above a crippling speech impediment to become King and a focal point of opposition to Hitler is so fascinating that you may end up *wondering why on earth it has not been told before in the cinema.

Proving once again that in the right role she is an actress of genius, Helena Bonham Carter is certain of at least an Oscar nomination as the late Queen Mother, Bertie’s loving, supportive and, when she needs to be, formidable wife.

But this is, above all, the film for which Colin Firth will be remembered. It’s no stretch for him to play a cold, stuffy Englishman, but he’s wonderfully complex as this reluctant monarch: tetchy, insecure, dutiful but resentful of duty at the same time. It’s a technical tour de force, and tremendously raw and touching in its vulnerability.

I would think the Queen would love such sympathetic portrait of her father & mother whom she loved and revered. I thoroughly enjoyed the portrayal of King George VI & Queen Elizabeth the Consort's close relationship with Elizabeth & Margaret.

I think she would, but this might be too painful for her to deal with. It was so painful for the Queen Mother that she asked David Seidler to hold off until she died..................

Saw the movie last night and it was EXCELLENT!

I live 30 minutes between DC and Annapolis, MD...and I made to the trip to DC to see the movie last night. Silly me was thinking that it wasn't going to be an issue to get a ticket. Nope...the 5:15 pm showing was sold out. Bought tickets to the next showing, and by the time I got back from eating the 8:45 showing was sold out.

Colin Firth was AMAZING. If you had never seen him in anything you would have thought he was George VI. The way he executed Bertie's problems with stammering was simply amazing. I hate to keep using that phrase because I think sometimes we over use superlatives but he was that good.

My only issue as a History buff (and a BRF follower) is that they tried to merge stories that I am familiar with into scenes. For example, when we finally meet Wallis it is at Balmoral when Elizabeth says...I have come to dine with the king, and Churchill makes a comment about the King adbdicating. When in real life, 1) I need to check a couple of books to confirm that Churchill was at that particular party, I know he was present at another party with the Yorks but not this one where the Wallis issue was tossed about and 2) abdication up into that point had never been publicly mentioned. Why would they discuss this at a party with a lot of people? Also, George V never told Bertie that he thought that Edward would ruin himself in 12 months, I believe he told a family friend that.

Helena Bonham Carter, Geoffery Rush, Guy Pearce and all the supporting characters were good. I thought Michael Gambon did an excellent job of doing George V....in order to show the viewers how Bertie might have developed his problems. And listening to Bertie tell Lionel of how he was treated as a child was very sad.

Overall a great movie.

Last edited:
I can't wait to see this film, but something tells me i'll be going on my own.

I just saw the film this afternoon and it was wonderful. Great actors and of course the story is both tragic and inspirational.

I have heard and read that QE was not very happy about her husband being thrust into being the King because of Edwards infaturation with Wallis. The movie does not in any way address that. What is known about her reluctance of seeing her husband on the throne?

The King's speech

Hi, has anyone else seen this film yet, and what did you think of it?

I enjoyed it immensely, perfect casting of all concerned, including the archbishop of canterbury and the political figures.

When King George VI ultimately made his initial wartime speech, accompanied by Beethoven's symphony no. 7, I found it very moving, the entire cinema audience were totally transfixed.

A full ten out of ten.

I've seen it twice and intend to see it again; my father says I could act in this movie - and it's true, lol.

I'm head over heels for Colin Firth now. I'm not a moviegoer at all and I've never seen him in anything, but I now feel this compulsion to rent A Single Man, etc... He so completely inhabits his role that you feel that he is George VI - I teared up several times, I felt so completely sorry for him. I also have a newfound appreciation for the King and just how courageous he was in overcoming his stammer. As I've Googled "King's Speech", I've read a lot about stammering and those who suffer from it - and it's heartrending reading about how so many have struggled with it. I never really thought about it before, but it's amazing what those who don't stammer take for granted in how freely we speak.

I've been particularly interested in articles from British newspapers as, of course, this story is part of English history. For the most part, it's been all rave reviews, but I just read one review (in the Guardian, I think - but not the main review; they must have various columnists writing about the film) where the columnist questions the fact that the movie didn't mention that George VI and QE supported the policy of appeasement. My reaction (and I was glad to see that those who commented on the article basically agreed) is that (a) this movie was not about politics and (b) being an appeaser does not equate to being a Nazi sympathizer. The King's position is known to history - and it doesn't really redound against him because of subsequent events. I've also seen reviews that almost wonder why there isn't more about the abdication. Well, that's not the story that David Seidler wanted to tell - and since everyone knows about the abdication, this to me is a lot more interesting.

I told my parents that basically the King's Speech got most of the history right except for (a) Churchill supporting Edward VIII and (b) the abusive nanny pinching Bertie (she pinched David). Still and all, those were very minor inaccuracies in a really wonderful film.

When I saw this for the first time, I wasn't sure what to think about Helena Bonham Carter. To be honest, I think she portrayed QE as a bit of a snob; I liked her performance better the 2nd time around.

I hope the DVD will include a documentary about George VI, stuff that couldn't be included in the movie........I think people would be interested in that.

Last edited:
For a great Coling Firth performance try the BBC version of Pride & Prejudice...it made his career. He's also good in Love Actually.

Last edited by a moderator:
Omg, Colin Firth in Pride and Prejudice can be summed up simply - "the lake diving scene". I love me some Colin! Im pretty sure the Nanny did indeed pinch Bertie as well, I don't think the director wld have taken liberties with that. The liberties with Churchill don't bother me so much. Also, I Loved HBC's portrayal of the Queen Mum. She was charming, strong, and deliciously snobbish at times. That is exactly how I imagined the Queen Mum to be in private.

:previous:Actually, in the official autobiography of the Queen Mum the author says that Churchill did support Edward VIII in marrying Mrs. Simpson while remaining king.

I would also recommend the BBC's version of "Pride and Prejudice". Colin Firth is still considered by many as the definitive Mr. Darcy.

For a great Coling Firth performance try the BBC version of Pride & Prejudice...it made his career. He's also good in Love Actually.

Thanks for the reminder - I did mean to mention that one. If we keep getting snow storms on the east coast, I'll have plenty of time to watch these movies, lol.

Ok, so Pride and Prejudice is first on my list for sure.......

I am watching Pride and Prejudice now! I live 30 minutes outside of DC.

I love some Colin Firth.

Yes, indeed the nanny did in fact pinch Bertie when he was being presented to his parents.That and the stories about taking him for walks in his stroller, walking ungrooved paths (although I am sure this was the norm), having Bertie bump and down while he was attempting to eat are in fact true. Apparently, the nanny was mentally unfit, favored David and hadn't a day off in like 3 years! Thank goodness someone on the nursery staff noticed this. Goodness know how long it might have gone on.

Yes, Churchill did in fact support Edward and Wallis leading up to and right thru the Abdication, supporting the idea of a
Morganatic marriage. Churchill, came to know a different side of Edward afterwards as a result of a couple of occasions. First, the true knowledge of Edward's deceit regarding his finances came out and secondly, when Britian was at war they were trying to get the Windsors out of France than Spain/Portugal (can't remember which country it was), and David was more concerned about his position and the BRF recognizing Wallis than the actual war.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reminder - I did mean to mention that one. If we keep getting snow storms on the east coast, I'll have plenty of time to watch these movies, lol.

Ok, so Pride and Prejudice is first on my list for sure.......

I'm in the East too and I know what you mean. It's perfect weather sit down with something tasty and a great romantic flick and Pride & Prejudice would be tops on my list of things to watch.:flowers:

I'm seeing it either today or tomorrow, it's honestly the only film I want to see right now and I'm super excited!!

I am watching Pride and Prejudice now! I live 30 minutes outside of DC.

I love some Colin Firth.

Yes, indeed the nanny did in fact pinch Bertie when he was being presented to his parents.That and the stories about taking him for walks in his stroller, walking ungrooved paths (although I am sure this was the norm), having Bertie bump and down while he was attempting to eat are in fact true. Apparently, the nanny was mentally unfit, favored David and hadn't a day off in like 3 years! Thank goodness someone on the nursery staff noticed this. Goodness know how long it might have gone on.

Yes, Churchill did in fact support Edward and Wallis leading up to and right thru the Abdication, supporting the idea of a
Morganatic marriage. Churchill, came to know a different side of Edward afterwards as a result of a couple of occasions. First, the true knowledge of Edward's deceit regarding his finances came out and secondly, when Britian was at war they were trying to get the Windsors out of France than Spain/Portugal (can't remember which country it was), and David was more concerned about his position and the BRF recognizing Wallis than the actual war.

I thought it was David the nanny pinched, so he would cry, his parents would get annoyed and then send him back to the nanny. Either way, the woman was crazy. Sarah Bradfor's bio of George VI goes into good detail about his childhood - I felt so sorry for him. A nanny that abused him, wearing incredibly painful splints to straighten his knees, being forced to write right-handed ...........just incredible.

David/Edward VIII was a piece of work. He lied about his finances, bothered his brother at a time when he was trying to learn the business of being King and basically almost showed he wanted the throne that he willingly gave up. Churchill came around on him and then George came around on Churchill. What a marvelous relationship they had.

I'm in the East too and I know what you mean. It's perfect weather sit down with something tasty and a great romantic flick and Pride & Prejudice would be tops on my list of things to watch.:flowers:

I don't even particularly like romances, but I'll watch anything with Colin Firth in it now, lol. Maybe it's just the role he's playing, but he has very kind eyes.......like puppy dogs. He doesn't look 50 at all.

I'll go on a Colin Firth splurge on Amazon, so that the next time we have a snowstorm, I'll be prepared, lol.

I would also recommend the BBC's version of "Pride and Prejudice". Colin Firth is still considered by many as the definitive Mr. Darcy.

Absolutely!

The King's Speech is almost a P&P reunion- Colin Firth (Mr. Darcy), Jennifer Ehle (Elizabeth Bennet), and David Bamber (Mr. Collins). Plus, 2 Harry Potter actors- no wonder I liked it so much! :lol:

Wait...who did Mr. Collins play in the The King's Speech?

There was one actor who looked really familiar but I couldn't place him. Maybe that's who it is.

Back
Top Bottom