"The King's Speech" (2010) - Film about George VI of the United Kingdom

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Saw the movie Saturday afternoon with some friends. Wonderful movie. I wonder if Queen Elizabeth saw the movie.

I didn't see George VI as someone who had sympathy towards Hilter. It seems like he was concerned about how this would affect the world. This is at least the impression that I got while viewing the movie.

Last edited:
I think its important to note that George VI as well as Edward VIII and those who lived thru WWI, didn't want the world to live thru the horrors of war again. WWI in terms of the loss of human life was such a large scale that I believe a lot of people rightly feared Hitler, but thought that appeasing him would avert such a war.

I recently did a tour of the Smithsonian Museum of American History, and they have a section dedicated to each of the wars that Americans fought in. What I didn't realize that as a result of medical advances, the loss of life in WWI while awful, there were a lot of soldiers who survived war and came back dramatically altered (missing limbs, blindness, etc.). The exhibit made it a point to mention that while this was not a new phenomeon, the advances in military warfare (canons, guns, etc.) made the wounded more pronounced in society. Suddenly there more wounded surviving. If that makes sense. Much like many wounded soldiers survive today as a result of medical advances whereas 20 years ago they wouldn't have.

Anyway to bring it back on point: you have the loss of life (I read Unquiet Souls which touches on the fact that a lot of the British aristrocacy lost their sons in WWI) in addition to the maimed soliders (and civilians). So I think a lot of George's generation were very keen to avoid such a situation again. Hence the appeasement of Hitler until war was unavoidable.

Its hard when a movie focuses on one aspect of a persons life, and if you aren't familiar with the remaining parts of it. You make assumptions about the character. When you really need to know the full story.

Last edited:
Good point, Zonk. Since there is no WWI population surviving today and hasn't been for many years, it's not really something that's part of our consciousness. We're all well-versed in WWII as something that seems to have happened in "recent" history, but not so much with the first war. But WWI was absolutely horrific, and it was like no war Europe had ever seen. It was considered "the war to end all wars" for a reason. And when you look at the history, it was a rather pointless war and a situation that could have been solved diplomatically.

The generation that had to make decisions about what to do with Hitler had just lived through WWI a mere 20 years earlier. It was a very vivid memory, and Europe had not recovered physically, emotionally, psychologically, or financially. Quite naturally, no one wanted to live through anything like it ever again, especially not so soon. I still think appeasement was a terrible policy and this doesn't justify it - obviously, there were people who had lived through WWI who didn't take the appeasement attitude, like Churchill - but it's easier to understand if you remember the historical context.

Once the war started, the recent WWI history made it all the more horrifying. Unlike the start of WWI, when the general sentiment had been that the boys would be home by Christmas, everyone knew what kind of devastation was coming. It must have seemed to people that there would now be a vast world war everyone quarter century.

A story Queen Mum once told demonstrates the experience of the double wars for her generation: She was sitting somewhere next to the young Princess Margaret - I think it was a church service - and started to tear up over the war dead. Margaret turned to her with a look that seemed to wonder what was wrong, and the Queen suddenly recalled having the same moment with her own mother as a child. She wondered at the time if Margaret would have the same experience with her daughter in another 20 years.

Unless you have lived through a certain period, it's difficult to understand. My grandmother lived through both World Wars and families members were in each of these wars. My mother was 11 years old when the United States entered World War II and was 15 when it ended. Whenever I would hear my grandmother talked about both wars, especially World War I, it was like in a different era or time period.

World War I and World II were not fought on American soil. A lot of Americans lost famly members in those wars (those serving in the military) but the civilian population was pretty much spared what Europeans suffered. They suffered badly. The last major war found on American soil was the civil war. We read about this in history books. No one is alive today who took part in this war. When World War I started, the civil war had only ended about 55 years earlier.

Saw the movie Saturday afternoon with some friends. Wonderful movie. I wonder if Queen Elizabeth saw the movie.

I didn't see George VI as someone who had sympathy towards Hilter. It seems like he was concerned about how this would affect the world. This is at least the impression that I got while viewing the movie.

The problem is people like Christopher Hitchens getting all up in arms about George VI supporting appeasement. People need to understand that being an appeaser didn't mean you supported Hitler; from what I gather, if you were of a certain generation that remembered WW I, you wanted to do all you could to avoid another war. Why some folks are getting up in arms about a movie is beyond me. What is the big deal that they portrayed Churchill as supporting George VI? He was in the movie for all of 5 minutes. The nitpicking is beyond maddening; if they want truth in movies, then let these critics rip Madonna's upcoming movie.

Totally agreed. To expect a movie to be 100% accurate is impossible - if you want that, go watch a documentary. The Churchill issue is silly. He's not significant in this movie in the slightest.

As for the appeasement thing, I didn't necessarily get the impression in the movie that Bertie was gung ho to go to war. He seemed more nervous about the situation (in the wine cellar conversation with David) than anything.

Bertie was not a fan of Hitler. Put that tp rest. How to rest,the situation was a dfferent thing. Lots of decisions were made poorly at that time. Bertie was not great intellect and cannot be blamed for his conceptions. It is a movie, what Churchill felt or didn't feel was not the issue of this movie. Churchill hated Hitler, but wasn't in power. Christopher Hitchens sees everything in his own light. My Mom was alive during WWI and is still here and, of course, was very young and just tonight said, no one kowns what it felt like. No one knows what anything was like, unless they lived it.

Exactly. Britain would have done almost anything to avoid a war. WWI caused social upheaval as well as death. It gave way to an entirely new, chaotic way of thinking. A nation wouldn't go to war unless they absolutely had to in 1939.

People need to understand that being an appeaser didn't mean you supported Hitler; from what I gather, if you were of a certain generation that remembered WW I, you wanted to do all you could to avoid another war.

There is a show on Channel 4 on Thursday I think, called The Real King's Speech.

I'm beyond thrilled for everyone involved in the King's Speech, especially David Seidler, whose hero was George VI and who waited so long to tell his story.

Colin Firth deserved his Best Actor - he inhabited the role of George VI so incredibly well.

Now, I can't wait to buy the DVD so I can watch it at anytime

George VI was the only Royal in the line of fire in WW1, was he not (Battle of Jutland?) And of course his wife the Queen lost a dear brother in the war, plus tended to many of the wounded, particularly those with psychiatric disabilities (at Glamis).

The Queen Mum seems to have really disliked the idea that Germany would ever rearm, and Germany had already broken its treaties and put the world on course to another war before George VI came to the throne. (I'm just getting to World War II in the wonderful book The Queen Mother).

I watched the movie today. Collin Firth really deserved to win the Oscar for his portrayal of King Geaorge VI.
Being a future speech therapist with special interest in the therapy of stuttering the movie especially touched me.

Last edited:
I couldn't belive Geoffrey Rush didn't get best supporting actor!!

Its a shame but Colin Firth got his due as did the whole film.....so I Suppose in a way they ALL won

I couldn't belive Geoffrey Rush didn't get best supporting actor!!

Well Christian Bale's performance was quite something. As we say here he "took the movie (the fighter)". I just saw the King's speech today and I absolutely adored it. I have friends saying that inception was better and the social network, but I don't think they are appreciating the importance of the historical moment portrayed in that movie, and the great performances by the three main actors.

Well earned!

Christian Bale was boring, Geoffrey deserved it a lot more.

Well Lumutuqueen we'llhave to agree in disagreeing, I do think that Oscar was for Mr. Bale, his capacity of transforming and how amazing is his impersonation (?) of this living man, totally rocked!

Christian Bale was boring, Geoffrey deserved it a lot more.
Christian Bale should've gotten that award years ago. The man is method but he's the best of the best. On the level of Joaquin Phoenix-good.

Not in my opinion, he's never been exceptional at anything. He's always just good to me. He doesn't deserve an Oscar for what I think are mediocre roles. AMPAS obviously didn't agree that he has deserved an Oscar previously, as he has never been nominated before.

Last edited:
Did he swear like in the film in real life as treatment

But he was also a gentleman. I'd sure like to know how fictionalized the movie is. I suppose we'll never know whether the King used the "f" word or not, but if we don't know for, I suppose I'd prefer they not show him using it.

On the other hand, perhaps it's well known that he cussed like a sailor. I certainly haven't read a biography of him (yet).

Yesterday I finally watched "The King's Speech" and I really enjoyed it. Colin Firth deserved for his Oscar, Geoffrey and Helena were good too.

It is well documented, including direct quotes from QEII and the DoE that King George VI had a very colorfull vocab. I think its embarrassing that Americans are so afraid of a word that they refuse to look at in context and see how much help a simple word was to the King. Well done Colin!, I was hoping for Rush but Christian Bale deserved it as well. Im so happy this movie won instead of the Social Network.

Loved this movie. Was one of the best movies I've seen this year.

I just read that the lead role was first offered to Paul Bettany but he turned it down because he had been away from his family for 5 months filming another movie. I think he also would have done an excellent job and I love the fact that he put his family above his career. Jennifer Connelly isn't a bad consolation prize.

Back
Top Bottom