"The King's Speech" (2010) - Film about George VI of the United Kingdom

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just seen the film, was sat with my history teacher who pointed out the historical inaccuracys. However I loved the film, but not Helena, she didn't portray the Queen Mum well enough for me.

I was wondering of anyone could tell me who might the other woman have been in the room when King George V was declared dead and Edward king? It wasn't Helena and there was another man as well?

Just seen the film, was sat with my history teacher who pointed out the historical inaccuracys. However I loved the film, but not Helena, she didn't portray the Queen Mum well enough for me.

I was wondering of anyone could tell me who might the other woman have been in the room when King George V was declared dead and Edward king? It wasn't Helena and there was another man as well?

He is supposed to have had his children their spouses as well as Queen Mary and some doctors and the local minister.

He had four adult sons, three of whom were married, meaning three daughters-in-law potentially there, plus one daughter of his own and her husband.

From what I have read about George V's death, it was just the nurse (I think her name is Catherine Black), Queen Mary and The Princess Royal.

I don't believe Alice, Marina or Elizabeth were in attendance.

The movie made a great impression on me,the only moment I didn't like it was Mrs.Simpson person,presented in very dark light,nearly as a German spy in those hard times.I'm waiting for Madonna's movie about Mrs.Simpson,her manner of presentation

There was Bertie, Queen Mary, Edward, Archbishop Cosmo, presumably The Countess of Harewood and another man. That was it. No spouses and no other son.

Tom Hooper won the Director's Guild Award last night for The King's Speech. Who wins the DGA wins the Oscar.

We saw this film today, and to my surprise, the theatre was pretty crowded. It was terrific, uplifting and inspiring! If this doesn't win some Oscars I will throw rocks at the tv!!!

:ROFLMAO:

I think Colin Firth is a lock and, frankly, it looks good for the King's Speech in terms of best picture. I don't usually care about movies and definitely not awards shows, but I'm going to have to watch the Oscars this year.

I see lately the film is getting criticized for changing history. I really honestly don't see the big deal about how they had Churchill supporting the abdication here esp. as he had a very small role to play in the film. What I hope is happening is that people who see this movie become honestly interested in the real history and that there is a discussion of same.

The buzz is definately behind Colin F and Natalie P (Black Swan) for an Academy Award.

Good news!

'King's Speech' Out on DVD and Blu Ray April 19 | TheWrap.com

Bonus features on the Blue-ray and DVD include commentary with director Tom Hooper, a 20-minute "Making of The King's Speech' feature and archival footage of King George VI.

I think I've seen the "making of" featurette on Showtime, but I love the commentary and archival footage. I guess it would be too much to ask for a documentary of George VI, but maybe someone else will do it

I watched the film on Wednesday. It was fantastic, I would have wanted to see it again soon after it ended. Colin Firth was outstanding, and all the other actors (Geoffrey Rush, Helena Bonham Carter, Guy Pearce) were very good too. An overhelming experience for me.

I thought Helena did a great job but then again I can't measure her against the qeen mum cause I don't know much about her.

Can you point out some of the inaccuracies??
I would love to know some of them:flowers:

I'm used to Helena as the "crazy woman" I guess. So playing the part of someone normal feels strange to me.
The only one I can remember is one of the dates used in the film. When Hitler is seen speaking, the date was 3 years out. There are others.

I thought Helena did a great job but then again I can't measure her against the qeen mum cause I don't know much about her.

Can you point out some of the inaccuracies??
I would love to know some of them:flowers:

Some of the inaccuracies include when we finally meet Wallis it is at Balmoral when Elizabeth says...I have come to dine with the king, and Churchill makes a comment about the King abdicating. In real life, Churchill was not at that party, that was the same weekend of the famous Aberdeen episode. Churchill up into the last moment was a supporter of Edward VIII (was actually told to sit down when he tried to support Edward during a debate in Parliament). Churchill did lose faith with Edward around the time of WWII when he realized that the former King had lied about his finances and Edward was holding out for formal a job as well public recognition for Wallis (when the government was trying to get the Windsor out of Spain and Portugal). Also, George V never told Bertie that he thought that Edward would ruin himself in 12 months. He told a family friend (I believe a Lady Lennox) that the Edward would ruin himself in 12 months and told someone else (maybe Stanley Baldwin?) that he hoped that the DoY and Lillibet would get the throne.

There are some others but those come to mind. I don't believe the scenes with the Archbishop of Canterbury are correct as well. In fact, the Archbishop was in Scotland that weekend in real life but not at Balmoral but rather Birkhall (or whereever the Yorks were staying). That was a big too do at the time.

I wouldn't trust that if I were you. The claim she saw and approves of the movie originates from a Daily Mail article that claims it comes from an unidentified "inside source". That's what tabloids say when they know there's no evidence for what they're saying. Check any tabloid. As far as I can tell no one in the Queen's family or on her staff is saying she's seen it. I think she will see it eventually, but I doubt she would have it screened for her now. She would probably prefer to get a copy of the DVD once it's out and watch it privately without people asking her what she thought and with the option of turning it off at any point.

If she has seen it I don't think the kind of people she would talk about it with would sell that information to the press. The Queen Mother did not want to see this movie made during her lifetime which indicates to me the subject matter is something they consider personal. I don't think the Queen would want to talk about the movie (whether she loved it or hated it) with anyone outside her inner circle. And I don't think anyone in her inner circle is giving information to the Daily Mail.

Last edited:
The King's Speech: The making of a very British smash hit

Read more: The King's Speech: The making of a very British smash hit | Mail Online

Thanks for posting - this is wonderful!

I'm getting so aggravated by criticisms that this film is historically inaccurate. Winston Churchill is in King's Speech for all of about 5 minutes or so. As to George VI and appeasement, while that term has a nasty, nasty connotation, it also seems to imply unfairly that he was a Nazi sympathizer. History has already been written and has not judged this man overly harshly for it. President Lincoln at one time was all for sending African Americans back to Africa - and he's not killled for that, but rather historians praise him for the growth he showed between the time he espoused that belief and the time of the Emancipation Proclamation.

Thanks for posting!! That was fascinating.

I don't think he was a Nazi sympathizer. In the early years he might have said some foolish things, without knowing the devil. That doesn't make him anything. As for the queen, more's the pity that she doesn't say how she felt about this, because it would aid stutterers for family memebers to acknowledge the difficulty and accept the difficulty and say, what a great thing happened....Not to be "above" all of that. It is personnal information and that's why it has more value, if a family can discuss a problem and it was overcome.

Wonderful ! Congratulations for all these prizes... now I SO HOPE for an oscar for Colin !

VERY WELL DESERVED i too am hoping for an Acadamy Award

Back
Top Bottom