The King (2019) on Netflix

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theroyalfly

Serene Highness
City
N/A
Country
Greenland
The King is an upcoming film adaptation of several plays from Shakespeare's Henriad.

Plot:
Hal, a wayward prince, ascends the English Throne upon his father’s death, and must navigate the palace snake pit and inherited war and chaos.

http://www.noblesseetroyautes.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/ECkRcLSXoAA6lW5.jpg

Amongst the roster of brilliant stars are the following:

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M...jg2NjQwMDQ@._V1_SX1777_CR0,0,1777,744_AL_.jpg

Timothée Chalamet as King Henry V
Joel Edgerton as Falstaff
Robert Pattinson as The Dauphin

Director: David Michôd
Screenplay: Joel Edgerton, David Michôd

Release Date:
The King will be released on Netflix and select cinemas this Autumn. The exact date of release is yet to be determined.

It will have its world premiere at Venice Film Festival 2019 on September 2, 2019.

Last edited by a moderator:
Robert Pattinson is a very strange choice as The Dauphin of France.

Johnny Depp's daughter,Lilly plays Catherine de Valois and Philippa of England will also get some onscreen attention.

Last edited:
In difficult times - and in those is England - a patriotic play can work wonders. "We few, we happy few, we band of brothers..."

On a lighter note: When I still was quite young, I did see a movie on TV (in German, but very well synchronized) and I thought to myself, "Yeah, what a cool film about knights and stuff and how funny, that they speak so antiquated - but it is a movie about the medievals, so, I am ok with it... a funny idea of the director..."

Well, it turned out to be a Shakespeare movie from Kenneth Brannagh, "Henry V.". :whistling: ?

So, I am looking forward to this movie here, "The King"!

It is going to be a hit. May Timothée Chalamet win so many awards for this. His acting is so powerful.

The movie opens at the Venice Film Festival next week so we should have the reviews and streams from the 1st of November 2019 on Netflix.

Which King Henry is this about?

Thanks. It certainly looks interesting.

Edit:
Hmmm, I just noticed that it will be shown on Netflix. Pity.

Last edited:
The King streams from November 1st, 2019 on Netflix!

As someone that has only been on Netflix for the past week, I am really happy with the quality of the historical fiction series that I've seen so far. From "The Crown" to "The Last Kingdom" and "Outlander" and many more still waiting for me to watch, I can only believe that "The King" will be just as good.

That's all I know... so far. :D

:previous:

I have seen "The King" today (the German version) and yes, it is a very intense film, quite brutal too, with a surprising end.

Can't say anything about the accents or something, since I watched it in German language, the only folks with accents were the French there.

The actors are very good! All big roles were exquistely played.

The historical correctness: Well, the main battle was a mixture of Agincourt and Crécy and there were other "freedoms".

But for sure an interesting King Henry: A man at the end of the Medievals - modern and antiquated.

So, in short: Yes, I give 5 stars!

The film is well acted and the costumes/sets are wonderful ,its not for everyone and it does take artistic licence with some of the historical events .The battles yes are quite brutal and violent.

I didn't like Robert Pattinson as the Dauphin.

I've seen The King listed as being available on Netflix and plan on watching it soon. As I'm using my son's account, I've promised to only use Netflix during the late night/early morning hours and I have been glued to Netflix after watching all available episodes of The Last Kingdom, Outlander and now in the process of watching all four seasons of Reign.

If The King is anywhere near the quality of those shows I've already seen, I *know* I'm going to enjoy watching it. Its good to be retired and able to watch all night and sleep all day should I want to. ?

It is kind of weird to ask a French/American actor to play the British monarch and a British actor to play the French crown prince :flowers:

It is kind of weird to ask a French/American actor to play the British monarch and a British actor to play the French crown prince :flowers:

And the fictional character of Sir John Falstaff was played by an Australian actor.

At least Lily-Rose Depp is half French playing Catherine de Valois ;)

Just saw this. As others have said it is violent & it does plays fast & loose with historical events.

Very different from the Olivier & Branagh films but just as good in its own way.

Last edited:
Y'know, something has occurred to me in regards to these historical dramas. Even though they may not be sticking straight to the historical facts as a documentary would and there's a lot of fiction to make the story more interesting and smooth flowing, it does nudge the viewer to become curious enough to actually want to look into the *real and factual* history behind these people portrayed in the show.

Y'know, something has occurred to me in regards to these historical dramas. Even though they may not be sticking straight to the historical facts as a documentary would and there's a lot of fiction to make the story more interesting and smooth flowing, it does nudge the viewer to become curious enough to actually want to look into the *real and factual* history behind these people portrayed in the show.

Yes I'm sure you're right about that. Anything that gets people interested is all to the good in my opinion even if I do shout at the tv when, for example, yet another film shows Elizabeth Tudor & Mary Stuart having a meeting:lol:

Yes I'm sure you're right about that. Anything that gets people interested is all to the good in my opinion even if I do shout at the tv when, for example, yet another film shows Elizabeth Tudor & Mary Stuart having a meeting:lol:

And in this movie Henry IV taking part in direct negotiation with Charles VI of France which I'm sure never happened.

And in this movie Henry IV taking part in direct negotiation with Charles VI of France which I'm sure never happened.

I'm not sure that's accurate either although I'm no expert on C15th English history. It does sound implausible.

The negotiations were actually carried out by the French queen Regent,Isabeau of Bavaria and Philip the Good,Duke of Burgundy and the Treaty of Troyes was signed on May 21st 1420 at Troyes cathedral in France.

Thank you. You're knowledge is very impressive:flowers:

Personally I think that Isabeau of Bavaria would have made a far better onscreen villain than the Dauphin ;)

Personally I think that Isabeau of Bavaria would have made a far better onscreen villain than the Dauphin ;)

Now I love finding out about new history. Just a cursory bit of research reveals a riveting tale about this woman. She sounds as fantastic as Isabella of France.

"So unlike the home life of our dear queen" as the saying goes:lol:

Lets just say that Isabeau was one of the least popular French queens and as Regent she held vast power and but yet she died largely forgotten and despised.

Christine_de_Pisan_and_Queen_Isabeau_%282%29_cropped.jpg

I enjoyed the film very much. The only part that I found laughable was the physique of
Timothée Chalamet doesn't seem possible to fight and kill as much as he did in the battle. (5'10" and 154 lbs - 182 centimeters and 70 kilograms...I looked it up). However...very good acting and so I will give him a pass.

Back
Top Bottom