The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-23-2019, 11:47 AM
Serene Highness

The King (2019) on Netflix

The King is an upcoming film adaptation of several plays from Shakespeare's Henriad.

Plot:
Hal, a wayward prince, ascends the English Throne upon his father’s death, and must navigate the palace snake pit and inherited war and chaos.

http://www.noblesseetroyautes.com/wp...LSXoAA6lW5.jpg

Amongst the roster of brilliant stars are the following:

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/...77,744_AL_.jpg

Timothée Chalamet as King Henry V
Joel Edgerton as Falstaff
Robert Pattinson as The Dauphin

Director: David Michôd
Screenplay: Joel Edgerton, David Michôd

Release Date:
The King will be released on Netflix and select cinemas this Autumn. The exact date of release is yet to be determined.

It will have its world premiere at Venice Film Festival 2019 on September 2, 2019.

Old 08-27-2019, 10:56 AM
Imperial Majesty

he first official trailer for The King

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...daptation.html

Old 08-27-2019, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Robert Pattinson is a very strange choice as The Dauphin of France.

Johnny Depp's daughter,Lilly plays Catherine de Valois and Philippa of England will also get some onscreen attention.
Old 08-27-2019, 12:28 PM
Nobility

In difficult times - and in those is England - a patriotic play can work wonders. "We few, we happy few, we band of brothers..."

On a lighter note: When I still was quite young, I did see a movie on TV (in German, but very well synchronized) and I thought to myself, "Yeah, what a cool film about knights and stuff and how funny, that they speak so antiquated - but it is a movie about the medievals, so, I am ok with it... a funny idea of the director..."

Well, it turned out to be a Shakespeare movie from Kenneth Brannagh, "Henry V.".

So, I am looking forward to this movie here, "The King"!
Old 08-27-2019, 12:42 PM
Serene Highness

It is going to be a hit. May Timothée Chalamet win so many awards for this. His acting is so powerful.
Old 08-27-2019, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The movie opens at the Venice Film Festival next week so we should have the reviews and streams from the 1st of November 2019 on Netflix.
Old 08-27-2019, 01:42 PM
Serene Highness

Which King Henry is this about?
Old 08-27-2019, 01:53 PM
Courtier

The King (2019) on Netflix

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLV View Post
Which King Henry is this about?

It’s about king Henry V.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_...m)?wprov=sfti1

This film looks interesting and I hope it’s just as good as Outlaw King, which I really liked.
Old 08-27-2019, 02:01 PM
Serene Highness

Thanks. It certainly looks interesting.

Edit:
Hmmm, I just noticed that it will be shown on Netflix. Pity.
Old 09-09-2019, 05:33 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The King streams from November 1st, 2019 on Netflix!
Old 09-30-2019, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The reviews of the King have begun

https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...on-shakespeare
Old 09-30-2019, 03:56 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
As someone that has only been on Netflix for the past week, I am really happy with the quality of the historical fiction series that I've seen so far. From "The Crown" to "The Last Kingdom" and "Outlander" and many more still waiting for me to watch, I can only believe that "The King" will be just as good.

That's all I know... so far.
Old 11-02-2019, 10:29 AM
Nobility

I have seen "The King" today (the German version) and yes, it is a very intense film, quite brutal too, with a surprising end.

Can't say anything about the accents or something, since I watched it in German language, the only folks with accents were the French there.

The actors are very good! All big roles were exquistely played.

The historical correctness: Well, the main battle was a mixture of Agincourt and Crécy and there were other "freedoms".

But for sure an interesting King Henry: A man at the end of the Medievals - modern and antiquated.

So, in short: Yes, I give 5 stars!
Old 11-02-2019, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The film is well acted and the costumes/sets are wonderful ,its not for everyone and it does take artistic licence with some of the historical events .The battles yes are quite brutal and violent.

I didn't like Robert Pattinson as the Dauphin.
Old 11-02-2019, 01:28 PM
Imperial Majesty

I've seen The King listed as being available on Netflix and plan on watching it soon. As I'm using my son's account, I've promised to only use Netflix during the late night/early morning hours and I have been glued to Netflix after watching all available episodes of The Last Kingdom, Outlander and now in the process of watching all four seasons of Reign.

If The King is anywhere near the quality of those shows I've already seen, I *know* I'm going to enjoy watching it. Its good to be retired and able to watch all night and sleep all day should I want to.
Old 11-02-2019, 01:28 PM
Commoner

It is kind of weird to ask a French/American actor to play the British monarch and a British actor to play the French crown prince
Old 11-02-2019, 03:06 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJudith View Post
It is kind of weird to ask a French/American actor to play the British monarch and a British actor to play the French crown prince
And the fictional character of Sir John Falstaff was played by an Australian actor.

At least Lily-Rose Depp is half French playing Catherine de Valois
Old 11-02-2019, 04:58 PM
Courtier

Just saw this. As others have said it is violent & it does plays fast & loose with historical events.

Very different from the Olivier & Branagh films but just as good in its own way.
Old 11-02-2019, 05:49 PM
Imperial Majesty

Y'know, something has occurred to me in regards to these historical dramas. Even though they may not be sticking straight to the historical facts as a documentary would and there's a lot of fiction to make the story more interesting and smooth flowing, it does nudge the viewer to become curious enough to actually want to look into the *real and factual* history behind these people portrayed in the show.
Old 11-02-2019, 06:05 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Y'know, something has occurred to me in regards to these historical dramas. Even though they may not be sticking straight to the historical facts as a documentary would and there's a lot of fiction to make the story more interesting and smooth flowing, it does nudge the viewer to become curious enough to actually want to look into the *real and factual* history behind these people portrayed in the show.
Yes I'm sure you're right about that. Anything that gets people interested is all to the good in my opinion even if I do shout at the tv when, for example, yet another film shows Elizabeth Tudor & Mary Stuart having a meeting

Tags
henry v, netflix, shakespeare