The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2021, 05:36 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

The Duke & Duchess of Sussex with Oprah III - Post-Interview, March 9th 2021 -

Welcome to The Duke & Duchess of Sussex - Post-Interview with Oprah thread.

Please take a look at the
TRF Community Rules & FAQs

Additional Notice:

This thread replaces the Oprah with Meghan and Harry thread, which is now closed.

Members wishing to post their thoughts, comments and responses may do so in a constructive way and in a manner that promotes mature and thoughtful discussion. When posting, members are expected to act civilly, reasonably and responsibly both towards one another and towards the subject matter.

Members who do not comply with these requests will be warned and may be suspended.

The following subjects and types of posts are off-topic and unacceptable:

Off-topic remarks
Aggressive, sarcastic or disruptive tones
Agenda-driven posts or posts deemed to have intent to disrupt the thread
Arguing or back-and-forth discussions to the exclusion of others
Post that otherwise add nothing of merit, interest or benefit to the discussion
Speculation; especially but not exclusively speculation about the identity of the royal who referred to the skintone of the Sussex-baby

Any and all issues are to be directed to the moderating team via private message.

The pre-interview discussion can be found here.

The interview discussion can be found here.

Old 03-09-2021, 12:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Statement of the BRF:

https://twitter.com/byQueenVic/statu...348229/photo/1

I had a dream: Let's connect our thoughts together, than we have a mission, let's connect our feelings together, than we have a mood, let's connect our dreams together, than we have a vision and let's connect our mission, our mood and our vision together than we have a perfect life.
Old 03-09-2021, 12:35 PM

I'm new around here, but have been lurking for quite while. As a fierce royalist, as most of the people here I guess, I have to admit this was a devastating blow to the royal family, regardless if the allegations are false or not.

I've read people comparing this to the Panaroma interview, but imo this is much more damaging. In 1995, Diana, who was already separated by then, attacked Charles pretty hard, but not the institution itself. What H & M did this time goes beyond personal attacks, the interview exposes the whole institution of the monarchy, makes people question not only if Charles or William are fit to rule, but the actual existence of a monarchy in the UK.

Considering the political climate we are currently living , a racism accusation is the worst kind of accusation any public figure could get right now. People tend to buy the narrative of racism much more easily nowadays, proven or not. Pretty much, the Royal Family was put in a very difficult position, damned if they deny any misconduct (people would still be suspicious) and damned if they acknowledge even the minor wrongdoing (people would take that as proof every other accusation is also true).

I'm sure the royal aides are trying to come up with a response, I tend to think they will take the "we take the allegations very seriously and will do some internal investigation, etc" route. That might suffice for now, but I'm not sure if it's the right decision in the long run.
Old 03-09-2021, 12:35 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by principessa View Post
Nothing less than I expected. The Queen, Charles and William are class acts. They are keeping the door open.
Old 03-09-2021, 12:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Imo that was a classy comment:
acknowledging their pain
sympathizing
leaving the door open for reconciliation

but at the same time not
being defensive
lashing back at H&M
Old 03-09-2021, 12:53 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadieKelly View Post
I sense something not said in that statement, something similar to "don't let the door hit ya..." I know it probably took BH hours to come up with just the right balance and in my opinion, they've succeeded. The economy of it is a striking contrast to the "two hours plus bonus features" of the Oprah interview. Same for the tone of each.

Once the adrenaline rush passes, I believe H&M will regret just how far they went in telling their "truth."
How many versions of that simple statement were written. I am all for writing the most emotive you can first and peeling it back. It was an excellent statement and I am sure the first draft was something akin to

'I am sorry they have such a hard time but they drove us and our staff around the bend. We don't agree with the racism claim and you of anyo e has been caught out or racism it is Harry. We appreciate the Sussexes are very damaged and we will deal with it privately.'

The real kicker in it. Recollections vary.
Old 03-09-2021, 12:54 PM

Quote:

Good statement tbh. Deal with it privately and let them go forever.
Old 03-09-2021, 12:58 PM
Nobility

The Palace makes announcement.

“The race issues raised by the Duke and Duchess of Sussex are "concerning" and will be addressed by the family privately, Buckingham Palace has said.

In a statement, the Palace said "recollections may vary" but the claims made in their interview with Oprah Winfrey are "taken very seriously".

Meghan race issues 'taken very seriously' - Palace https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56340451
Old 03-09-2021, 12:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

I can't imagine the anger at the Palace over this, that statement was measured and restrained but you can sense the fury underlying it.
Old 03-09-2021, 01:00 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post
Nothing less than I expected. The Queen, Charles and William are class acts. They are keeping the door open.

It was very classy. And about the best they could do IMO in terms of a response.

It was horrible for Harry and Meghan to attack his family publicly like that knowing they would never truly respond in public.
Old 03-09-2021, 01:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Action is louder than words. I’m not buying this.
Old 03-09-2021, 01:02 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by tihkon2 View Post
The statement says "recollections may vary" which to me means they think some of what Megs and Haz said is bullshit. And for all we know, that includes the "no one listened to my mental health problems" accusations.

Indeed. I really liked the part about “recollections may vary.” I have no doubt they do. Very generously put though.
Old 03-09-2021, 01:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin9 View Post
It was very classy. And about the best they could do IMO in terms of a response.

It was horrible for Harry and Meghan to attack his family publicly like that knowing they would never truly respond in public.
They should respond in public. They won’t. That’s one of the problems.
Old 03-09-2021, 01:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
I'm assuming that was not how it was put at the meetings over the last couple of days. Peeled back many times I think.
oh yes, peeled back, asked feedback from a few people, slept on, rewritten, to convey just the right message.

Just like the Oprah interview was likely rehearsed, tried out, directions given, takes viewed and reshot, until it conveyed just the right message.

'Recollections may vary' is for me statement of the day
Old 03-09-2021, 01:04 PM
Aristocracy

You know I am still so angry over this interview, that I can barely think of anything else.

But, I do want to put into context one of the things they said: The comment about the color of their children's skin. I think it was a passing comment such as after being introduced to Meghan and chatting and then wondering aloud oh I wonder what shade of skin color the children will have? I think it was meant as a comment and NOT as a racial dig as Meghan is now making it out to be. Even Hsrry seemed uncomfortable with the fact that had come out. The BRF may have their faults but I have never seen them behave in any racist way before, and having a bi-racial member of the family was a wonderful addition to their working members.

Meghan, and Meghan alone, has chosen to make everything about race and most of what she uttered on her interview was a lie, and can be proven to be so. I sincerely hope that the family can recover from this and that H & M fade rapidly into the proverbial sunset.
Old 03-09-2021, 01:09 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
I think that was a good statement.

They showed compassion for the struggles, pain and mental health problems Harry and Meghan talked about without judgement or trying to claim it didn't happen.

Politely called BS on other things without engaging in mud slinging and repeated that they're loved. The opposite of what the interview was.

Whether it will be enough, especially for the "racist royal" narrative who knows but it's a good start.
I think it’s the best statement they could have made under the circumstances. They’ve made it clear that family matters will be dealt with in private, not in the public sphere.

It will never be enough for those who would love to see the BRF engaged in a public fight to the death with Harry and Meghan, either because they wish to see the monarchy harmed, or just for the entertainment value. It will also never be enough for those who feel even the mention of the word racism should result in an immediate public crucifixion.

The BRF showed that they’re willing to communicate with Harry and Meghan as family members but will not play a part in their new careers as professional victims. It was a gracious statement and one that was frankly much better than The Sussexes deserve.
Old 03-09-2021, 01:10 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseroyal View Post
They should respond in public. They won’t. That’s one of the problems.

That’ll just lead to mud slinging and drag this horror out. These were private issues. They should have stayed that way.

This response was very good. I imagine it took some time to craft it. It was well thought out IMO.
Old 03-09-2021, 01:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

IMO, the statement was well crafted. And I completely agree with many of you that the most telling part of the statement is "recollections vary".
Old 03-09-2021, 01:19 PM
Serene Highness

Though I thought they would not issue a statement but provide media lines, I was correct in my guess that the statement would mention these elements:

Race issue to be taken seriously
Matters to be dealt with privately
That line about Harry Meghan being much loved members of the family.

However, the “recollections may vary” line is genius. Props to their comms team for that succinct but loaded line.
Old 03-09-2021, 01:22 PM
Royal Highness

I am told that there is things afoot - but they will play nice for Prince Philip and the Queen. There is a bullying investigation to be done and the charity board will be looking into movement of funds from a charity to a not charity.
Afraid to say we have not heard the last of this by a long shot. Meghan still has lots of interviews in her - no doubt she is saving some stuff for the book tour.

Closed Thread