The Duke & Duchess of Sussex with Oprah III - Post-Interview, March 9th 2021 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Could you tell me the title of that article? I am not a subscriber to the telegraph, but I want to look it up in the archives. Thanks.

The title of that article is: American 'supermarket tabloid' celebrity gossip magazines used on Oprah to show British media bias

Could you tell me the title of that article? I am not a subscriber to the telegraph, but I want to look it up in the archives. Thanks.

"American 'supermarket tabloid' celebrity gossip magazines used on Oprah to show British media bias".

Of the examples used by Oprah Winfrey to illustrate British media bias:

13 of the headlines were from US or Australian publications including National Enquirer, US Weekly, In Touch & Star

only 9 out of the 23 British examples were from print editions, the rest online

headlines not shown in full context ie suggesting something was racist when it was clearly not. In fact often the very reverse.

I understand that Oprah Winfrey is not a serious reporter but rather an entertainer so I guess this sort of thing is par for the course.

Last edited:
How horrible for William to have journalists - and this was the royal reporter from Sky News, not someone less reputable, for lack of a better way of putting it - shouting "Are the Royal Family racist?" at him.

I think William made the whole issue worse by responding. I woke up alerts on phone about this. I believe the royal family should have never responded and let the story die down. Even the Queen's response was classy and dignified.
However if royals keep responding angrily ala William the press is going to continue to have a field day and this back and forth is not a good look for the monarchy. It is beneath them .

I think William made the whole issue worse by responding. I woke up alerts on phone about this. I believe the royal family should have never responded and let the story die down. Even the Queen's response was classy and dignified.
However if royals keep responding angrily ala William the press is going to continue to have a field day and this back and forth is not a good look for the monarchy. It is beneath them .

It didn't come across as angry to me. He first answered whether he had talked to his brother (saying he didn't but would) and second paused for a second before calmly stating that they are 'very much' not a racist family after which he continued walking making sure there wouldn't be any further exchange.

He's damned if he does & he'll be damned if he doesn't ie "prince doesn't refute accusation that RF is racist" would be the headline.

The real culprit here is Harry Windsor not the Duke of Cambridge. He has created this hateful situation.

If it wasn't so serious it would be almost funny a la Father Ted "I hear you're a racist now Father".

He's damned if he does & he'll be damned if he doesn't ie "prince doesn't refute accusation that RF is racist" would be the headline.

The real culprit here is Harry Windsor not the Duke of Cambridge. He has created this hateful situation.

If it wasn't so serious it would be almost funny a la Father Ted "I hear you're a racist now Father".

No he should have done what Charles did and keep silent and ignore them. I agree this was created by Harry & Meghan but William is a key player- senior member of the royal family and as such has the responsibility to uphold the dignity of the monarchy. Sinking to H&M' level and responding to questions yelled by reporters is not the way to go.

The Queen issued a formal statement and that should have been respected and been the end of it.

It didn't come across as angry to me. He first answered whether he had talked to his brother (saying he didn't but would) and second paused for a second before calmly stating that they are 'very much' not a racist family after which he continued walking making sure there wouldn't be any further exchange.

I'm not surprised that he took the opportunity to deny that his family is racist, I was taken aback that he commented on whether he had talked to Harry - William's usually very discrete.

His manner was calm. But if you take his answers together, he is disputing Harry and Meghan's allegations and emphatically stating that he plans to talk to Harry. I don't think it will be a pleasant discussion.

Would she have been eligible to a UK diplomatic passport without being a UK citizen? How does that normally work? I assume some ambassadors might also have a spouse who is not from the country s/he is representing.

I don't know the answer, but it was something I was curious about when Megan married Harry. (I tend to be fascinated with the diplomatic side of the monarchy).

I don't think it has ever been stated what passport Megan traveled with for their official trips (Australia/Pacific, Morocco & South Africa), and perhaps it is not for public consumption, especially if it was not something that was typically done for spouses of U.K. foreign service personnel. (The Queen, for example, does not need a passport or driving license, though only the reigning monarch has this exception.)

I have guessed that it may have been a specially issued passport, in order to avoid normal customs at arrival, and also, to avoid visa issues. (I do know that U.S. citizens need a visa for Australia, but it can be obtained electronically, so in theory, Megan could have entered on her U.S. passport).

I do not believe that Megan's U.S. passport was held by palace staff for any malicious reason at all. However, I think it is obvious that many people on both sides assumed things, and thought they were being understood, when there was actually massive confusion and anxiety.

Obviously it's going to be a very long time before there is a future spouse marrying a working royal, but I hope there is a slow and steady on-boarding process sensitive to cultural differences when it does happen.

No he should have done what Charles did and keep silent and ignore them. I agree this was created by Harry & Meghan but William is a key player- senior member of the royal family and as such has the responsibility to uphold the dignity of the monarchy. Sinking to H&M' level and responding to questions yelled by reporters is not the way to go.

The Queen issued a formal statement and that should have been respected and been the end of it.

Charles wasn't asked the same questions. IIRC, the question to Charles was about what he thought about the interview. William was asked yes or no questions.

Interesting points. I remember the "exotic DNA" article. It wasn't very well put, but, as the article says, it was actually meant in a positive way. And it wasn't dissimilar to several articles that mentioned Carole Middleton having the blood of "sturdy Durham coal miners" or words to that effect.

A particularly egregious example was from the Daily Mail where there was a clearly racist headline - but only half of it was shown.

The other half of the headline showed very clearly that this was a comment from a particular individual (partner of a small political party) & the report was about what a horrible person she was for having said it - "shocking..disgusting racist remarks".

How is this not dishonest of Oprah Winfrey? She clearly had an agenda.

I'm sure that most fair minded people can agree that this is the fault of Harry Windsor.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not surprised that he took the opportunity to deny that his family is racist, I was taken aback that he commented on whether he had talked to Harry - William's usually very discrete.

His manner was calm. But if you take his answers together, he is disputing Harry and Meghan's allegations and emphatically stating that he plans to talk to Harry. I don't think it will be a pleasant discussion.

I’m not surprised he took the opportunity to refute the allegation either. Ignoring the question would almost look worse IMO. This is his family and that was the most damaging thing the Sussexes said about them.

I imagine their future conversation won’t be pleasant . Plus- William may understandably be wary that anything he says could be leaked to the press by them. If he didn’t have trust issues before with Harry, he may well now.

On William talking to Harry... who wants bet money on the calm well trained Prince disappearing and the Soldier in barracks taking his place ;)

Harry could use some Big brother tough love right about now.

I agree that William was damned if he did, damned if he didn't. I don't expect him to keep answering the questions thrown at him.

Some of the media are respecting HMs statement, many others are still saying this needs to be addressed in public and won't be satisfied until the culprit has been identified and/or the whole family apologises for everything.

I think William was fine today and it's definitely understandable if someone shouts that at you over that mess of a mis told/remembered 2nd hand story to respond just briefly. He didn't launch into a rant that destroyed HMs statement.

But in the spirit of the very funny Father Ted episode AND the Panorama interview, trying too hard to defuse the initial issue publicly will only result in a huge mess and more excuses for Oprah exclusives.

Charles wasn't asked the same questions. IIRC, the question to Charles was about what he thought about the interview. William was asked yes or no questions.
It's not about whether the questions were of the same caliber or not. Reporters are going use every public engagement to throw questions to the royals- keep the story in the headlines and milk the interview. The royals should keep silent and ignore the reporters. The Queen has already spoken unbehalf of herself and the family. That should be the end all.

I'm sure that most fair minded people can agree that this is the fault of Harry Windsor.

There is a saying " You can't control what people do- you can only control how you respond". William's response should have been no response. The Queen has already spoken.

I think William very calmly said what he needed to say (especially considering he's known to have a bit of the family temper himself), but he did it with his game face on and I also don't expect him to answer everything else that gets yelled. We'll see if there's less yelled.

There is still a pandemic on. There are far more important things people are concerned about other than the [...] Duke and Duchess.

I agree that William was damned if he did, damned if he didn't. I don't expect him to keep answering the questions thrown at him.

No I don't either. It will just make things worse in the end. Tempting as it might be.

manipulation

I just feel the whole interview was constructed to push the Queen and the POW into a corner and force them to give the Sussex's everything they want:
1. Money
2. Paid protection detail
3. Princely titles for their children, GV convention or not.

Obviously, privacy is not and has never been on the agenda.

Just my opinion.

Ana

The Telegraph

We’re all living Meghan’s truth now
Like Alice through the looking glass, we are required to believe impossible things before breakfast

MADELINE GRANT
11 March 2021 • 8:42am
Madeline Grant

Just days after JFK’s assassination, Jackie Kennedy crafted a glittering fairytale about her husband’s presidency. “There will be great presidents again,” the grieving widow told Life Magazine in a now-iconic interview, “but there will never be another Camelot.”

Her words soon passed into the cultural lexicon; before long few remembered that the term had never been used during JFK’s tenure. The Camelot myth beguiled America for decades and resonates to this day.

I was strangely reminded of it as I listened to Meghan Markle “speaking her truth” in another famous interview. Certainly, the myth-maker’s hand on the scales was more obvious this time. Instead of King Arthur and his knights, there was Disney, via the Duchess’s ham-fisted reference to The Little Mermaid. In place of Jackie’s delicate breathy tones, we had Harry’s stumbling Estuary English and Meghan’s doe-eyed Californian corporatese.

Yet this was an equally calculated attempt to mythologise the couple and redefine their place in history. Alongside the fairytale references were overt parallels between the Duchess and Princess Diana – perhaps even with Princess Latifa, the captive daughter of Dubai’s royal family. Just as Jackie Kennedy dictated the terms of her interview, Oprah Winfrey proved a compliant interrogator, offering performative expressions of shock at things anyone familiar with Royal protocol would have understood.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/03/11/living-meghans-truth-now/

Actually I don't believe that he sounded angry at all. He answered with a short reply but I didn't hear any anger. If anything I thought that he sounded remarkably calm.

Last edited:
Is that what Andrew says to Beatrice and Eugenie, or does he pay for their security?

And regarding Andrew, does anyone know if his security is paid for by the British government now that he has stepped back from being a working royal? If not, does he pay for it himself? Does the Queen pay for it?

You said "and yes Charles could have paid privately, but again why?"

Because this is an issue that Harry is deeply unhappy about. As he said, he felt let down by his father. We can discuss all day whether or not Charles should pay for it. All that matters is that Harry believes that it should be paid for, either by the public or by his father. He said in the interview that he should have security because he was born into the royal family. To say he should keep working as a working royal to have security, is to say he should remain trapped as a working royal for the rest of his life.

Do you think that the Queen and Charles liked hearing Harry and Meghan say that they were worried about security? Do you think that Charles liked hearing Harry say that his father stopped taking his calls, cut him off financially, and let him down? Especially since the Queen and Charles are both very wealthy and could afford to pay for security. I think it shows a lack of awareness on Charles part of the depth of his son's feelings. Well, he knows it now. I'm assuming that Charles cares about Harry. Of course, maybe he doesn't care. They cut him adrift and the result is you get an interview like this.

Andrew fought for his girls to have a working paid role in the royal family and he didn't get that. As far as I've seen they don't have security - I've not seen them photographed with security lately. I don't know if Andrew has security or not - he has a worse public image than Meghan and Harry so if anyone needs security it's him.

I don't know how to post it here but the Mail Online put up a facebook video refuting Meghan and Harry's claims about the royal family.

Also I heard there was more unaired footage that they were going to show next week - more than two hours? How much could they possibly have to say?

I thought William answered very calmly and don’t blame him in the slightest for feeling the need to respond. If a reporter shouts “Are you a racist family?” at you how can you just walk past and say nothing? I’m sure it is frustrating enough to not be able to sit down for 2 hours and tell your side of the story.

I don't know how to post it here but the Mail Online put up a facebook video refuting Meghan and Harry's claims about the royal family.

Also I heard there was more unaired footage that they were going to show next week - more than two hours? How much could they possibly have to say?

Oh I'm sure there's no end to their destructive tendencies. They probably enjoy all the attention & sympathy from some of the great & good of the USA.

Victimhood is a heady brew. Almost as satisfying as revenge.

Omid is now quoting parts of emails Meghan sent to palace staff - not really "having their say then moving on" then at all?
https://www.harpersbazaar.com/celebrity/latest/a35783710/meghan-markle-prince-harry-interview-essay/

The couple’s exasperation came to a head in January 2020, when Kensington Palace urgently requested that Prince Harry cosign a statement against an “offensive” newspaper report stating Prince William “constantly bullied” the Sussexes before their decision to step away. “Well, if we’re just throwing any statement out there now, then perhaps KP can finally set the record straight about me [not making Kate cry],” Meghan emailed an aide, according to a source, asking why side of the story public image was never considered important to anyone. But, as with many requests made by the couple, her suggestion was ignored.

Interesting they sue over a letter being printed in the papers but are happy to leak emails out there. Oh wait, these two are full of flip flops and about turns.

I'm not seeing very many people outside the celebrity crowd defending them. Except for people who hate the royal family anyway and they like the fact she's bringing them down.

And I'm not seeing their usual celebrity buddies - Ellen, Elton John, George Clooney, Tyler Perry, etc - coming out in their defense. Just Serena Williams.

The Duke & Duchess of Sussex with Oprah III - Post-Interview, March 9th 2021 -

The Telegraph

Like Alice through the looking glass, we are required to believe impossible things before breakfast

MADELINE GRANT
Madeline Grant

Just days after JFK’s assassination, Jackie Kennedy crafted a glittering fairytale about her husband’s presidency. “There will be great presidents again,” the grieving widow told Life Magazine in a now-iconic interview, “but there will never be another Camelot.”

Her words soon passed into the cultural lexicon; before long few remembered that the term had never been used during JFK’s tenure. The Camelot myth beguiled America for decades and resonates to this day.

I was strangely reminded of it as I listened to Meghan Markle “speaking her truth” in another famous interview. Certainly, the myth-maker’s hand on the scales was more obvious this time. Instead of King Arthur and his knights, there was Disney, via the Duchess’s ham-fisted reference to The Little Mermaid. In place of Jackie’s delicate breathy tones, we had Harry’s stumbling Estuary English and Meghan’s doe-eyed Californian corporatese.

Yet this was an equally calculated attempt to mythologise the couple and redefine their place in history. Alongside the fairytale references were overt parallels between the Duchess and Princess Diana – perhaps even with Princess Latifa, the captive daughter of Dubai’s royal family. Just as Jackie Kennedy dictated the terms of her interview, Oprah Winfrey proved a compliant interrogator, offering performative expressions of shock at things anyone familiar with Royal protocol would have understood.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/03/11/living-meghans-truth-now/

Thanks. That was appropriately scathing for the most part.

Their “ be kind” slogan is a hypocritical joke now IMO.

I don’t think this author much cares for Meghan’s “truth” either. One of the worst phrases in recent years. As if there are versions of the truth.

Omid is now quoting parts of emails Meghan sent to palace staff - not really "having their say then moving on" then at all?
https://www.harpersbazaar.com/celebrity/latest/a35783710/meghan-markle-prince-harry-interview-essay/

The couple’s exasperation came to a head in January 2020, when Kensington Palace urgently requested that Prince Harry cosign a statement against an “offensive” newspaper report stating Prince William “constantly bullied” the Sussexes before their decision to step away. “Well, if we’re just throwing any statement out there now, then perhaps KP can finally set the record straight about me [not making Kate cry],” Meghan emailed an aide, according to a source, asking why side of the story public image was never considered important to anyone. But, as with many requests made by the couple, her suggestion was ignored.

Interesting they sue over a letter being printed in the papers but are happy to leak emails out there. Oh wait, these two are full of flip flops and about turns.

Very interesting read. Kensington Palace released a statement denying the Duchess of Cambridge uses botox, but wouldn't release a statement when the media was perpetuating a significant lie to the major detriment of a senior Royal? A statement over botox? Seriously? Something so damn trivial. Wow. No, of course The Firm weren't fuelling hate toward Meghan :whistling::whistling::whistling:

I'm not seeing very many people outside the celebrity crowd defending them. Except for people who hate the royal family anyway and they like the fact she's bringing them down.

And I'm not seeing their usual celebrity buddies - Ellen, Elton John, George Clooney, Tyler Perry, etc - coming out in their defense. Just Serena Williams.

What about this from Hilary Clinton? Is this the exception rather then the norm? She sounds incredibly ill informed.

The Telegraph

MADELINE GRANT
Madeline Grant

“I wasn’t interested in grandeur”, cries the woman in the $4500 dress. Like Alice through the looking glass, we are required to believe impossible things before breakfast. We must trust that an intelligent modern woman neglected to perform even a cursory google of her future husband – a prince no less – before their first date. We must lionise a couple who insist they are being kind and respectful, even as they carelessly cast suspicion around their relatives and compound the Queen’s anxieties at a traumatic time. We are expected to agree that people who are richer than Croesus, wielding vast cultural influence, are unambiguous victims. ....

This is the part of the interview I seriously rolled my eyes at. Either Meghan or Harry discussing how they aren't interested in grandeur is extremely tone deaf. You both are multi-millionaires - spare me the non-interest in grandeur.

Quite. I suspect they'd be furious if William or Charles spoke about their feelings on either of their (H&M) mental states or other of their personal business yet they spilled everything on international TV.

As for the "making Kate cry" story. The original journalist is sticking to her guns about it. It's possible both of them got upset and cried because it was an extremely emotional time with the wedding, Kate's pregnancy and being post partum, Meghan's family chaos etc. Kate seems to have been the one to reach out and apologise but she certainly hasn't been forgiven.

I do get their frustration, I'm sure there was a lot of KP protecting Will and Kate, especially once Harry and Meghan moved over to BP which handles things very differently but none of this from Oprah, Scobie, Janina (who I like as an actress and its so weird to see her caught up in Royal watching stuff) is going to make it any better. For *them* as well as Harry's family.

At some point it will end up crashing down for them and get even uglier as they're now most famous for the most lurid gossip since the Wars of the Wales. I'm really not sure they're actually happy in their new life otherwise they wouldn't base it on lashing out at the old one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom