The Duke & Duchess of Sussex with Oprah III - Post-Interview, March 9th 2021 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nobody is saying that Charles should totally fund Harry's life in the U.S. Harry and Meghan reached lucrative deals with Spotify and Netflix. But the security being taken away from Harry and his family is a sore spot. Harry said it happened suddenly and he had no idea that it was going to be taken away. A major part of the interview was Harry and Meghan talking about security. My opinion is that Charles ignores the depth of Harry's feelings about this and his feeling of being let down by his father at his own peril. He will be estranged from his son forever.

It’s obvious that you are a very devoted fan of Harry and Meghan, and I was in the past, but I disagree the suggestion that Charles should pay for security because Harry really wants him to is analogous to a parent giving a toddler ice cream because the toddler really wants it. At some point, all of us have to realize that other people’s feelings are as important as their own.

With respect to the cost of security, that was part of the discussion when Meghan and Harry jumped the gun and announced that they were going to “step back” as senior royals.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-51040751

Queen Mathilde pointed out that Canada had initially offered to pay for their security but the offer was withdrawn when the taxpayers objected (post 538). I can’t blame them because according to the article below, the Canadian taxpayers spent at least $40,000 for about six weeks of security. What were the Canadians going to receive in exchange for paying their security?
https://observer.com/2020/06/prince-harry-meghan-markle-canada-security-costs-canadian-taxpayers/

As an aside, Harry and Meghan had more than a month’s notice that their security was going to be cut off – and the discussions were going on before this announcement was made.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-51636835

My guess is that it never occurred to Harry and Meghan that Canada would (or could) withdraw its offer. Harry didn’t want to pay for it himself and, even though it was Harry’s choice to walk away and lose his public funded security, he called Dad demanding that Dad shell out the money for his security.

I understand that Harry and Meghan are at a higher risk because he was born into the royal family. But at the same time, Harry’s money (including payments from Netflix and Spotify) is also due to his royal status. He wants all of the advantages but none of the disadvantages. That is not how life works.

Even more outrageous is that after publicly trashing his father, Harry had the nerve to express his intention of making “healing” their relationship a priority. This is the equivalent of someone punching you knowing that you won’t punch back and then refusing to apologize while saying that he hopes you can still be friends. If his relationship with his father is truly a priority, he would have refrained from making it worse.

I suspect that although Charles is still angry, he will forgive Harry (and probably already has). Harry will continue to be a very loved son, but Harry has a lot of work to do to heal the relationship. The first thing that Harry should do is drop the demand that Charles pay for his bills and the last thing that Charles should do is to agree to pay them.

Last edited:
I suspect that although Charles is still angry, he will forgive Harry (and probably already has). Harry will continue to be a very loved son, but Harry has a lot of work to do to heal the relationship. The first thing that Harry should do is drop the demand that Charles pay for his bills and the last thing that Charles should do is to agree to pay them.

Perhaps, even, with Charles refusing to open the bank account for security or anything else, Charles is actually giving his son the kind of love that he really needs right now. Tough love.

It's one thing for a parent to step in and help out their children in times of dire need but to enable a child from growing into an independent adult (as we know is something Harry has stated that can be quoted verbatim) is a horse of a totally different color.

You don't always get what you want but sometimes you get what you need. ?

I think that they've made a polite rebuttal of what was said, without getting into a fight. And i think if H and Meg go on attacking the RF nad doing it in such an incoherent way, people in the US will get wise ot them or get fed up with them...

Thank you. Yes, Hollywood and the press in the US are very fickle. They love people one minute and hate them the next. I really don't think Harry and Meghan realize that. Harry was a well-loved prince and did an excellent job in his royal engagements. If H& M had remained working royals and had continued to do their job, eventually the UK press would have settled down. It did so for Camilla, who was probably the most hated woman in the UK at one point, so it certainly would have for them eventually. It is sad that Harry and Meghan could not ignore the parts of press coverage they did not like and concentrate on the largely goodwill of the people (as I observed it) toward them.

It

I expect he will forgive Harry but I cant help feeling that if he stopped taking H's calls, that is a sign that while parental love hasn't vanished, he is very very very fed up with and disappointed with Harry.. and I question whether he will want to see him for some time unless Harry changes his attitude. Im not sure if he continued to help H out financially this past year.. but if he did, I'd say that that was all that he should be expected to do, tide him over for a bit until he and Meghan found paying work of some kind. Whereas I get the feeling that Harry, in spite of saying they wanted to have a professional incoeme had no real intention of working and no real idea of what he could do.. (and he still hasnt).....

It’s obvious that you are a very devoted fan of Harry and Meghan, and I was in the past, but I disagree the suggestion that Charles should pay for security because Harry really wants him to is analogous to a parent giving a toddler ice cream because the toddler really wants it. At some point, all of us have to realize that other people’s feelings are as important as their own.

With respect to the cost of security, that was part of the discussion when Meghan and Harry jumped the gun and announced that they were going to “step back” as senior royals.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-51040751

Queen Mathilde pointed out that Canada had initially offered to pay for their security but the offer was withdrawn when the taxpayers objected (post 538). I can’t blame them because according to the article below, the Canadian taxpayers spent at least $40,000 for about six weeks of security. What were the Canadians going to receive in exchange for paying their security?
https://observer.com/2020/06/prince-harry-meghan-markle-canada-security-costs-canadian-taxpayers/

As an aside, Harry and Meghan had more than a month’s notice that their security was going to be cut off – and the discussions were going on before this announcement was made.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-51636835

My guess is that it never occurred to Harry and Meghan that Canada would (or could) withdraw its offer. Harry didn’t want to pay for it himself and, even though it was Harry’s choice to walk away and lose his public funded security, he called Dad demanding that Dad shell out the money for his security.

I understand that Harry and Meghan are at a higher risk because he was born into the royal family. But at the same time, Harry’s money (including payments from Netflix and Spotify) is also due to his royal status. He wants all of the advantages but none of the disadvantages. That is not how life works.

Even more outrageous is that after publicly trashing he father, Harry had the nerve to express his intention of making “healing” their relationship a priority. This is the equivalent of someone punching you knowing that you won’t punch back and then refusing to apologize while saying that he hopes you can still be friends. If his relationship with his father is truly a priority, he would have refrained from making it worse.

Also, as I understand, the RF does not even decide who receives security. It is the Metropolitan police who determine the threat level and who in the RF needs it. Am I correct in that? I think I remember reading it.

Also, as I understand, the RF does not even decide who receives security. It is the Metropolitan police who determine the threat level and who in the RF needs it. Am I correct in that? I think I remember reading it.

That is correct. The RPOs work for the Metropolitan Police and not for the royals, themselves.

I expect he will forgive Harry but I cant help feeling that if he stopped taking H's calls, that is a sign that while parental love hasn't vanished, he is very very very fed up with and disappointed with Harry.. and I question whether he will want to see him for some time unless Harry changes his attitude.
Harry said that they were speaking again but I suspect that Harry is back to waiting for phone calls to be returned.

I agree that this interview will cause a wide chasm with the whole family that will probably not completely heal. How can they trust that Harry will keep anything private now. Even if Harry never does an interview, they have to worry that he will tell Meghan and if she doesn't spill the beans, she'll get her friends to do it.

Generally speaking yes. Of course the queen and heir and their consorts will always have security.. because by the very nature of their position they are high risk. Harry as a working royal and an ex solider would be high risk while working - but that might change over time. Andrew I think has lost his security now that he's not a working royal. So did Bea and Eugenie.. they weren't considered high risk and economies needed to be made.
Fergie lost her security when she divorced.. but Diana kept hers although she wasn't considered a workign royal but she was a high profile and deemed to be at risk....

I was thinking about the racist allegations. If one is going to lodge an allegation like that- then name the person. Otherwise stay quiet. All it does is make the whole family suspect, and that’s unfair. Loved the DM article by the Lord Lituntant . If security is like that in the RF why were they surprised? I think Harry is jealous of William.

I agree. The biggest problem for the family now is that Harry and Meghan have probably already shared the name with their talkative friends, so it will be leaked out eventually.

Even if their friends manage to keep it quiet, which I doubt, the next time Meghan and Harry feel slighted they will do another interview.

Harry said that they were speaking again but I suspect that Harry is back to waiting for phone calls to be returned.

I agree that this interview will cause a wide chasm with the whole family that will probably not completely heal. How can they trust that Harry will keep anything private now. Even if Harry never does an interview, they have to worry that he will tell Meghan and if she doesn't spill the beans, she'll get her friends to do it.

I agree. I think that if Harry had acted calmly and sensibly, Charles would have continued some kind of allowance.. discreetly -.from his own money... if he really felt his son was doing his best to have a new and fairly private life...
but it seem as if even back some months ago, He could not put up with Harry ranting and demanding money... and cut him off.

And you not believing it doesn't mean Meghan is lying either. We agree to disagree. I am not debating this any further.

The actual law of the land of the United Kingdom makes it untrue.

Many hundreds of thousands if not millions of posts flooding social media around the world, show that the Sussexes interview worked to marvelous effect the way I fully believe it was intended. People became so enthralled in the emotions of what the couple was saying that when confronted with the actual, provable truth (for example, the Letters Patent), they flatly refuse to believe it.

As to William's comments today, this is the closest I believe I have ever come to seeing William lose his cool. Although he was remarkably composed when he responded, seeing William "snap" and respond to a thrown-out comment (other than a chatty-chatty, positive one) by a reporter is immensely out of character for him and speaks to exactly how much this situation if affecting him. I don't say any of this in a negative way. It very much impacted me to know how much the family must be affected. They are used to having questions like this thrown at them their entire lives and usually do not blink an eyelash. This got to him.

Compare to Harry when, egged on by a reporter in Africa who in a similar way was trying to get a reaction out of him, snapped back something to the effect of, "Did you really just ask that?"

I have been thinking about the interview and I believe that Harry and Meghan are going to continue to be a thorn in the side of the RF. Even though they said that this interview would be the last thing they would say on this subject, Janina Gavankar was given permission by Meghan to respond the "recollections may vary" part of the Queen's statement. So, it is obvious that H & M are not going to stop talking about the RF. I am wondering how the RF are going to be able to effectively deal with this as time goes on?

I don't think there is anything the royal family can do but keep somewhat of a distance. Just have bland interactions and meaningless chit chat when they get together until Meghan and Harry earn their trust, which will probably take years.

Interesting, isn’t it. Apparently that title was very important to independent Meghan. (Meghan earned a living. Best I can tell that’s why the word is being applied to her. That’s not unusual these days or a particularly notable achievement for a woman.)

Everything she said was selective and presented for drama and effect.
An example, they took my passport.......eyes down, bit lip, Oprah gasps in shock.
Now if she had said, the office hold the passports for convenience and the smooth organisation of trips but as an independent woman who has always been responsible for my actions/ travel etc I was surprised how that sign of independence meant so much to me. It didnt stop me travelling but it was a strange experience.
That would have made an interesting point to listen to but doesn't make for Oprah drama.

Tom Bradbury got the SA interview then he dropped hints about further interviews and books, then came the FF book , Oprah and now the actress friend letting slip with a smirk 're the e mail trails. It is all to keep the pot warm keep people interested. At the same time a warning to the family that we are not finished yet. They are using People to keep their name out there.

Last edited:
Generally speaking yes. Of course the queen and heir and their consorts will always have security.. because by the very nature of their position they are high risk. Harry as a working royal and an ex solider would be high risk while working - but that might change over time. Andrew I think has lost his security now that he's not a working royal. So did Bea and Eugenie.. they weren't considered high risk and economies needed to be made.
Fergie lost her security when she divorced.. but Diana kept hers although she wasn't considered a workign royal but she was a high profile and deemed to be at risk....

Perhaps I am misremembering but I thought that Diana was considered a working royal at the time. Charles stopped paying her personal bills but continued to pay for an official office for that reason. Regardless, it is a completely different situation because Diana moved into Kensington Palace, which has its own security, for her security but also for Harry and William's security when they were with her.

Harry is a son, brother and grandson. With time they may forgive if not forget and I don’t believe any of them is so mean and Petty as to hold all this against Archie and Sister. Now Meghan... She is neither family or a child to be given any inch. Henry and his children will be welcome eventually but she is almost certainly “cancelled” as the kids say today. Harry will have some hard choices in the coming years I fear.

?
I think what is really needed at this point is for Princess Ann to step in and address Harry and Meghan behavior and entitlement. Now THAT would be amazing! If she could take on a kidnapper with a good tongue lashing, she could certainly deal these two. She would have Harry clutching his pull ups and Meghan putting those curtsying lessons to good use within minutes. This is funny

Harry is a son, brother and grandson. With time they may forgive if not forget and I don’t believe any of them is so mean and Petty as to hold all this against Archie and Sister. Now Meghan... She is neither family or a child to be given any inch. Henry and his children will be welcome eventually but she is almost certainly “cancelled” as the kids say today. Harry will have some hard choices in the coming years I fear.

There is also the added surprise that with money coming in, a whole lot of that money is going to have to be going out paying their way. I don't think that's really anything that Harry's had to be concerned about before. That hit home to me with Harry joking in the video with James Corben stating "royals don't carry money". Harry is living in a totally different world from what he's had over 35 years. That's going to be a major eye opener for him.

Perhaps I am misremembering but I thought that Diana was considered a working royal at the time. Charles stopped paying her personal bills but continued to pay for an official office for that reason. Regardless, it is a completely different situation because Diana moved into Kensington Palace, which has its own security, for her security but also for Harry and William's security when they were with her.

well she had lost her HRH in the divorce and although she had an office and retained some charities, she wasn't anything like a full time working royal. She was in KP anyway, and it had security but she wanted to be free to go around London by herself...When Will and H were with her, their RPOS were there but Diana regarded RPOs as spies or people who intruded on her privacy...

They might forgive and forget but they're fool if they're ever alone with either of them again. Just like meghans father you can't trust Harry and Meghan not to run to the nearest reporter and say nasty things.

There is also the added surprise that with money coming in, a whole lot of that money is going to have to be going out paying their way. I don't think that's really anything that Harry's had to be concerned about before. That hit home to me with Harry joking in the video with James Corben stating "royals don't carry money". Harry is living in a totally different world from what he's had over 35 years. That's going to be a major eye opener for him.
I do think that this Netflix deal is not going to go well. Does Harry really have ideas for documentaries etc? Or will it all be Meghan? As you say, its probably come as a shock to him in the past year that he had to pay for security himself, pay his staff, pay the decorators and so on...(that's probably what freaked him out and drove him to ranting at Dad adn asking for more money)...
and if he and Meg don't have ideas or they dont do well, will Netflix continue with the deal?

I do think that this Netflix deal is not going to go well. Does Harry really have ideas for documentaries etc? Or will it all be Meghan? As you say, its probably come as a shock to him in the past year that he had to pay for security himself, pay his staff, pay the decorators and so on...(that's probably what freaked him out and drove him to ranting at Dad adn asking for more money)...
and if he and Meg don't have ideas or they dont do well, will Netflix continue with the deal?

If they had been smart, they should have produced the interview for Netflix instead of Harpo. They may still do one, but the first interview is the one with the most impact.

I do sincerely hope that their Netflix and Spotify contracts end up being a huge success as well as their work with the Archewell Foundation. In the business world they're in now, I think it's Meghan that has the most experience and knowledge and knows the ins and outs of how their lives will be now.

It's going to be a major adjustment for this couple. First after marriage, Meghan didn't mesh with Harry's world and now Harry needs to learn to mesh with Meghan's world. I do think they'll make it as a couple as what they do have is strong. Most couples couldn't face the roadblocks this couple seem to have had since day 1.

They're truly a "you and me against the world" kind of a couple. ?

I do sincerely hope that their Netflix and Spotify contracts end up being a huge success as well as their work with the Archewell Foundation. In the business world they're in now, I think it's Meghan that has the most experience and knowledge and knows the ins and outs of how their lives will be now.

It's going to be a major adjustment for this couple. First after marriage, Meghan didn't mesh with Harry's world and now Harry needs to learn to mesh with Meghan's world. I do think they'll make it as a couple as what they do have is strong. Most couples couldn't face the roadblocks this couple seem to have had since day 1.

well they will have to be money makers, these deals because I dont think Charles will put his hand in his pockets again unless H is virtually starving. And I doubted a year ago and I sitll doubt it,,, that h e has the least clue what he'll have to do when he needs to make money.. that he will have to work hard, come up with the goods and be tough. As for Meghan, she knows more about the business world than Harry but can she really come up with ideas that will sell and put them into action? She had a modest success as an actress but producing is another ball game and wit her new lifestyle she will need to make a hell of a lot more money...

well they will have to be money makers, these deals because I dont think Charles will put his hand in his pockets again unless H is virtually starving. And I doubted a year ago and I sitll doubt it,,, that h e has the least clue what he'll have to do when he needs to make money.. that he will have to work hard, come up with the goods and be tough. As for Meghan, she knows more about the business world than Harry but can she really come up with ideas that will sell and put them into action? She had a modest success as an actress but producing is another ball game and wit her new lifestyle she will need to make a hell of a lot more money...

There is also the variant that needs to be factored in that in the world they're hoping to succeed in, there's a whole lot of competition. On the global royal stage, the only "competition" they really had was overshadowing another royal doing something. They were popular and lauded as members of the British royal family. Although they're still royal, they'll need the top goods to pull in that popularity and admiration that was handed to them on a global scale.

This is why I stated that Harry and Meghan are now in a dog eat dog world and they've been handed Milk Bone underwear. The competition is going to be fierce.

I think what is really needed at this point is for Princess Ann to step in and address Harry and Meghan behavior and entitlement. Now THAT would be amazing! If she could take on a kidnapper with a good tongue lashing, she could certainly deal these two. She would have Harry clutching his pull ups and Meghan putting those curtsying lessons to good use within minutes. :lol:

Yes. And maybe the fact that The princess Royal doesn't do that will tell us something as well.

I don't get what they thought would happen when they quit. They act like they were told to leave.

I'm sorry, but Meghan has literally no experience in the world they have entered now. Sure, she was an actress, she did her fair share of things on the side... She also lived in a rented house in Toronto with her two dogs. Now, they are trying to play with the big boys - and it's a completely different ball game. Maybe they will find their way, but I wouldn't put much faith in Meghan's experience.

And well, being the "you and me against the world" kind of people often ends up badly, with isolating themselves from people who want to help them. If taken to the extreme, it's not good nor healthy.

I don't get what they thought would happen when they quit. They act like they were told to leave.

In a sense I suppose they were, They thought that the queen would allow them to move to Canada/US and spend as much time as they liked there and do what they liked.. and still come home and do a bit of royal work...but then they were told that they had to choose in or out, and they chose out..
which meant "living in Canada full time" and before very long they w ere told that they had to pay thier own security in Can or go.. so I suppose that was another shocks to them. I gather that that's why they borrowed the house from whoever it was, in LA and moved there.. and possibly that's when Charles started to say that he wasn't going ot pay for security etc or give them an allowance for life.

Yes. And maybe the fact that The princess Royal doesn't do that will tell us something as well.
yes it tells us that she is not oging to publicise any family rows....

Why should they forgive her? She didn't forgive her family. And she did the same thing to the royals they did to her

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom