The Duke & Duchess of Sussex with Oprah III - Post-Interview, March 9th 2021 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
William stating the BRF are not racist will land very well... I am sure. I think it was an unfair thing to toss at him. Not like he could really ignore it though.

Well, he can thank his brother for putting him in this position. What a horrible, horrible thing to do to his brother and grandparents he claims to respect very much.

Harry and Meghan did the right thing giving that interview. I see that now more than ever and I believe every single word they said, ALL OF IT!

They also did the right thing by stepping down and leaving the UK. And Harry should prevent the rest of the BRF from having any contact with his children. It's not good for them.

The public was led to believe that Harry and Meghan didn't want Archie to have an HRH title. That was to save face because the reality was that he wasn't going to be an HRH at birth. The Queen wasn't going to take any action to make that happen. It would only happen when Charles became King. And Meghan stated that that was possibly going to be changed. Archie's lack of the HRH title at birth was another bone of contention between the monarchy and the Sussexes. It is clear that Meghan and Harry wanted him to have the HRH title at birth. It seems that Meghan and Harry's time as working royals was death by a thousand cuts, and this was one of those cuts. I wonder if the Royal family was aware that it was all adding up.

Harry and Meghan’s communication skills are sorely lacking- as this interview made quite clear with the things they admitted they never discussed with the family. So, I doubt it.

I know that when Harry and Meghan moved to Canada Trudeau said the Canadian government would provide security. The Canadians made a stink and he said they wouldn't.

The thing is that if they did continue providing the security they would have been criticized for wasting tax payers money. As they removed it - they are criticized for taking it away from a non-white member of the family.

There is a rule for who gets security, titles and funds from the various money sources - it is not open for twitter and public opinion, regardless of the color of the royal's skin. Unfortunately they is not how the press to running this story for their own agenda's.

Harry and Meghan did the right thing giving that interview. I see that now more than ever and I believe every single word they said, ALL OF IT!

They also did the right thing by stepping down and leaving the UK. And Harry should prevent the rest of the BRF from having any contact with his children. It's not good for them.

If they did the right thing, why are they talking on TV to defend their position? If they knew they were right, why not just get on with their new lives.
Do you really believe that Meghan and harry were married, 3 days before their official wedding?? Do you really believe that her husband could not advise her that she needed to curtsy to the queen?
Do you believe Harry when he said during their engagement that the RF were the "family she had never had"? Because if that was true, then all they said at this interview can't be true can it?

Should they not use their titles anymore in order to distance themselves from such a ''racist'' family too? That would be coherent, right?

You believing it doesn't make it true. Their statements about race being the reason for titles and security are easily provable lies. So is the bit about the secret wedding. When someone tells several obvious lies in a discussion, it's foolish to take them at their word regarding other claims they make that can't be proven either way.

Thank you, some clear sense on this matter.

As with the security question, there is an answer or explanation for all the points raised but Meghan and especially Harry is choosing not to understand.

Instead inferring things that are not true to amplify their grievances.

Who knew a title was so important to an independent minded woman.

Interesting, isn’t it. Apparently that title was very important to independent Meghan. (Meghan earned a living. Best I can tell that’s why the word is being applied to her. That’s not unusual these days or a particularly notable achievement for a woman.)

The Oprah's interview has somehow made it into the weekly Business of the House in the House of Commons :lol: :cool:

Hansard has now uploaded the transcript for today (Thursday 11th March) and some online social media and Daily Express has picked this up.

Sir David Amess (Conservative MP for Southend West) raised a question to his colleague, the Leader of the House of Commons, Jacob Rees-Mogg on the possibility of having a debate on the role of the monarchy. The backbencher at one point criticised Harry & Meghan for airing family conflict.

Sir David used his question to the Leader of the House to heap praise on Her Majesty and her hard work after nearly 70 years on the throne.

He said: "Will my Right Honourable Friend find time for debate on the role of the monarchy?

"During such a debate, I would very much hope that the argument could be made that it is never wise for a family dispute to be aired in public with everyone getting damaged by the fallout.

"Perhaps during such a debate, we can celebrate the fact that we are so blessed to have had as our monarch for 70 years compared to the alternative of having a president as our head of state which we very nearly had under Tony Blair."

At one point in his response, Jacob Rees-Mogg recited the first two verses of the National Anthem. Hint: It's not the verse starting with "Thy choicest gifts in store". I know some people might think that he could be making a subtle dig at Meghan on the National Anthem, given that he has defended The Queen in his fortnightly podcast on Conservative Home. Some cynics however view it as a indirect scathing attack on Harry & Meghan, because he deliberately chose the rare second verse with elements of enemies in it. In their mind the "enemies" is implied to Harry & Meghan, however, it could have been republicans or those who oppose the monarchy/royal family.

Mr Rees-Mogg simply replied by reciting the national anthem after noting such a debate would steal all the time away from the legislative discussion.

He said "Were we to have a debate to praise our sovereign lady, it would take up all the legislative time available in this House. So all I would say is God save our gracious Queen, long live our noble Queen, God save the Queen. Send her victorious, happy and glorious, long to reign over us, God save the Queen.

"O Lord our God arise, scatter her enemies and make them fall.

"Confound their politics, frustrate their knavish tricks, on Thee our hopes we fix. God save us all."

Rees-Mogg shuts down calls for Royal Family debate with national anthem 'God save Queen'
JACOB REES-MOGG rejected calls for a debate on the role of the monarchy by starting to sing the national anthem in the Commons.
https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1...ily-debate-God-Save-the-Queen-video-latest-VN

A video from Richard Wheeler's twitter account. Wheeler is the parliamentary editor of PA media.
Richard Wheeler @richard_kaputt
Commons Leader Jacob Rees-Mogg showed his support for the Queen by delivering a spoken-word rendition of the national anthem...
11:09 PM · Mar 11, 2021·Twitter Web App​

From a royal fan and watcher on instagram:
@windsor.royal.family
Leader of the House of Commons Jabob Rees Mogg recites God Save The Queen
In response to question on Harry and Meghan’s Oprah interview.
12h​
https://www.instagram.com/p/CMSxoubnjzy/

The atmosphere and conversation itself was light-hearted with laughters across the chamber. At the end of the video, the Shadow Leader of the House, Valarie Vaz quipped "How is he allowed to say it?". Even the Speaker, Sir Lindsay Hoyle, appeared to be shocked especially with his delayed response of "Right". :lol: ?

Here is the Hansard for the Business of the House. The conversation is at the very end.
https://hansard.parliament.uk/commo...6A9-449D-92B5-4C4530836EDD/BusinessOfTheHouse

On a side note, the full words to the national anthem is can be found at Classic FM. Surprisingly, the verse starting with "Thy choicest gifts in store" is the fifth one, despite the fact it was often sung as the second verse (e.g. in Last Night of the Proms)
https://www.classicfm.com/discover-music/british-national-anthem-lyrics/

Last edited:
And now for an eye opener Sussex reality check. As Harry and Meghan are now private citizens living and working in the United States of America, as taxpayers, they have also been handed the privilege of paying for Former President Donald J. Trump's security while he golfs. :D

Don't know why but that hit my funny bone. I need coffee.

You believing it doesn't make it true. Their statements about race being the reason for titles and security are easily provable lies. So is the bit about the secret wedding. When someone tells several obvious lies in a discussion, it's foolish to take them at their word regarding other claims they make that can't be proven either way.

And you not believing it doesn't mean Meghan is lying either. We agree to disagree. I am not debating this any further.

The Duke & Duchess of Sussex with Oprah III - Post-Interview, March 9th 2021 -

There are press reports about it - as with most things in the press, they may be accurate or they may just be rumours.

Prince William has just spoken to Sky News:

"We are very much not a racist family," he said after a question from Sky News.

And when asked if he had spoken to his brother yet, the Duke of Cambridge replied: "I haven't spoken to him yet but I plan to."

Meghan must be thrilled. She’s the one who brought this up. So I imagine she’s enjoying the fallout more than anyone.

I really feel for the entire family having to defend themselves like this- all because Harry and Meghan couldn’t keep private matters private.

I’m not at all surprised William hasn’t spoken to Harry yet. He may well need to calm down first.

Last edited:
If they did the right thing, why are they talking on TV to defend their position? If they knew they were right, why not just get on with their new lives.
Do you really believe that Meghan and harry were married, 3 days before their official wedding?? Do you really believe that her husband could not advise her that she needed to curtsy to the queen?
Do you believe Harry when he said during their engagement that the RF were the "family she had never had"? Because if that was true, then all they said at this interview can't be true can it?

I believe that the reason few/none of these explosive allegations were made in "Finding Freedom" is that H/M were still anticipating some sort of financial assistance from Charles.

Something definitive has been said or done to let them know that there will be no assistance.

So...they decided it was as good a time as any to pull the trigger with the Oprah interview?

Btw...The Sun newspaper listed all the trips Meghan has made abroad during her engagement and time in the BRF.. most notably her post wedding visit to Lake Como to spend time with the Clooneys(along with Harry) and her NYC trip for her baby shower. There was an additional trip to Italy for Misha Nonoo's wedding, and the South of France to holiday with Elton John.

How did these trips happen without a passport? Why didn't Oprah ask?:sad:

By acting (she's good at that, remember?) like an adult and addressing the comment with the person who made it. She chose not to give enough information to allow others to make a real judgment about whether it was racist or not, but either way, that's how grown-ups handle things when relatives say things they find offensive.

Exactly. Meghan didn’t bother to communicate with the person who supposedly said it.....just with millions of people. She chose to be vague about what was said so no one can render an opinion. Of course- she doesn’t really know what happened either because- she wasn’t even there. But- let’s throw the entire family under the bus anyway and make EVERYONE defend themselves. As William just had to.

That says a lot about Meghan as a person. And it’s all bad. She has no business talking about compassion or kindness. She clearly doesn’t understand the meaning.

Meghan was called ruthless by someone (Richard Kay?) in an article. I would agree. This is a very good example of just how she operates. She’s not someone I’d want to know.

Btw...The Sun newspaper listed all the trips Meghan has made abroad during her engagement and time in the BRF.. most notably her post wedding visit to Lake Como to spend time with the Clooneys(along with Harry) and her NYC trip for her baby shower. There was an additional trip to Italy for Misha Nonoo's wedding, and the South of France to holiday with Elton John.

And at least some of these trips were made while she was in a deep suicidal depression and felt so isolated she could only tell HR about it. I don't mean to make light of anyone's struggle, I just think this struggle has been exaggerated.

On a more serious note, compared to what just happened in the House of Commons, HIH Archduke Karl von Habsburg of Austria has made a comment to Austria’s largest newspaper “Kronen Zeitung” on the subject of Harry & Meghan's interview with Oprah.

He said the global interview is completely inappropriate. He thinks the dissonance and conflicts should be dealt privately, whether it's discussion or clarification. He called this interview an "internal gossip and garbage"
Oskar Aanmoen [Flag of Norway] @OAanmoen
HIH Archduke Karl von Habsburg of Austria describes the Sussex-interview as gossip and garbage.
He has made the following comment to Austria’s largest newspaper “Kronen Zeitung”
#HarryandMeghanOprah
#MeghanAndHarry
6:42 PM · Mar 11, 2021·Twitter Web App​

Picture of the translated comment by the Archduke of Austria

Well they got what they wanted. No one stopped them from leaving the family and no one is forcing them to go back. I thought the narrative they turned down the prince title made them look sympathetic- like they really wanted to live like normal people. Harry stomping his feet reminded me of prince andrew stomping his feet and demanding a paid royal role for his daughters- not a good look.

Well they got what they wanted. No one stopped them from leaving the family and no one is forcing them to go back. I thought the narrative they turned down the prince title made them look sympathetic- like they really wanted to live like normal people. Harry stomping his feet reminded me of prince andrew stomping his feet and demanding a paid royal role for his daughters- not a good look.

THey never had an offer of the "Prince" title.. Archie will be a HRH PRince when his grandfather becomes King.. unless by then Harry rejects the whole idea of royal titles.
they chose not to use Harry's secondary title of Lord Dumbarton for A.
but I doubt if it was really because they wanted to live like normal people.. they were just trying to pretend. (or maybe they were sulking becuase they HADNT been offered HRH for Archie.. and were like "oh well we wont let him use ANY title."

I agree, if they were that unhappy then leaving was the right thing to do. Of course they could have left once they had agreed their exit strategy with his family and then they might have got the security and a lot of other things they wanted. Or at least realised they couldn't stay in Canada (or NZ/AUS etc) before.

We also know that the SA trip was a trial run to see if they wanted to live there and Samantha Cohen was prepared to pack up her life and go with them but it turns out it wasn't suitable either.

However if it's the right thing to do to leave and cut off all contact, why do they insist on keeping their titles and get angry when their son isn't made HRH (which makes him a public person whether they like it or not) even though they were already planning to leave and get angry when their public patronages are taken away? Why is Harry complaining that the Bank of Daddy shut down?

Announce they will hence forth be known as Harry and Meghan M-W for a new start making their own way in life.

Also whilst I'm sure his family are very difficult in many respects, nothing was made of the chaos and pain HER family were causing at the time, which surely contributed to their depression.

As for William, he probably couldn't ignore the question and probably didn't WANT to ignore it, despite the fact that a comment from 4-5 years ago (probably) remembered differently by two people without context shouldn't be a headline around the world right now.

Diana once said that she and Charles worked very hard to ensure William and Harry were treated equally.

At one time I thought this was laudable, but in retrospect, I'm wondering if Charles and Diana made a mistake in not emphasizing there would be a difference in status for their sons?

Diana once said that she and Charles worked very hard to ensure William and Harry were treated equally.

At one time I thought this was laudable, but in retrospect, I'm wondering if Charles and Diana made a mistake in not emphasizing there would be a difference in status for their sons?

I dont know. It seems to me that Harry very much resents his status as second to William.. and feels that its not fair... and I think it has soured his relationship with his brohter. But I dont know if anything would help with that. Even if Chas and Diana tried to treat them equally within the family and as kids, there's going to come a time when it is clear to H that he's NOT ever going to be king.. and that he's not as privileged as his brother...and seems to me that he just cant' accept that, like he apparently can't accept that if he walks out of Royal life, he can't pop back in when it suits him, or continue to be supported by his father or the British taxpayer

By acting (she's good at that, remember?) like an adult and addressing the comment with the person who made it. She chose not to give enough information to allow others to make a real judgment about whether it was racist or not, but either way, that's how grown-ups handle things when relatives say things they find offensive.

The same way I react when some ignorant jerk at my synagogue says to me that my adopted son does not look Jewish, I ignore or I say, 'go away he as Jewish as you and I", you can't react the way she did to all the stupid remarks stupid people say

Last edited by a moderator:

Government employees who have service passports usually surrender those passports for storage at their respective department or agency. That is because they are only supposed to use those passports on official trips. I don't think Meghan's situation is exactly the same, but it is possible that members of RF who are issued official passports don't keep those passports with themselves all the time, but give it to some department within the Royal Household for safekeeping and collect it only when needed. It would be odd if Meghan was also asked to surrender her personal U.S. passport, but I don't think she would lie about that.

Anyway, I suspect the Palace most likely was only following some kind of standard procedure with respect to official passports, but, since we don't know all the facts (for example, if Meghan was also told not to use her personal passport anymore), it would be good if the Royal Household could provide some clarification.

Last edited:
Brilliant - I want the Queen Mary version of events, maybe the Tudors family feud or even the war of the Roses. Charles II, Queen Ann? It is like jerry Springer meets Horrible Histories.

This is brilliant

I dont know. It seems to me that Harry very much resents his status as second to William.. and feels that its not fair... and I think it has soured his relationship with his brohter. But I dont know if anything would help with that. Even if Chas and Diana tried to treat them equally within the family and as kids, there's going to come a time when it is clear to H that he's NOT ever going to be king.. and that he's not as privileged as his brother...and seems to me that he just cant' accept that, like he apparently can't accept that if he walks out of Royal life, he can't pop back in when it suits him, or continue to be supported by his father or the British taxpayer

He was also the one that gave the interview that claimed "no one really wants to be King" which he later apologised for and by his own admission was "trapped" all his life but didn't see it.

You can't claim your incredibly thankful to your incredible wife for helping lead you out of bondage whilst simultaneously complaining that you don't have as many perks as your brother who's in line for the top job.

In some ways he's right. If William announced he wanted out there would be a much bigger constitutional crisis and not just one H&M have created themselves. He gets his children all HRH and a separate court, walking first etc but he also has a heavier burden. One that Harry doesn't seem to want.

Harry could have stayed in the army, he could have theoretically pursued something else with or without Meghan or they could have said before the wedding that they didn't think they wanted to be full time working royals.

Or settled somewhere more modest and peaceful where they could live off their invested money, feel safe and seek effective counselling for their traumas without "having" to make deals with two of the biggest entertainment companies in the world.

I think people can seem okay to outsiders when dealing with a variety of mental health issues but that also means that those who aren't trained aren't likely to notice anything is wrong unless the person involved or those they've told actually asks the appropriate people for help.

I so it comes back to the interview being "their truth" without being THE factual truth.

I have been thinking about the interview and I believe that Harry and Meghan are going to continue to be a thorn in the side of the RF. Even though they said that this interview would be the last thing they would say on this subject, Janina Gavankar was given permission by Meghan to respond the "recollections may vary" part of the Queen's statement. So, it is obvious that H & M are not going to stop talking about the RF. I am wondering how the RF are going to be able to effectively deal with this as time goes on?

I was thinking about the racist allegations. If one is going to lodge an allegation like that- then name the person. Otherwise stay quiet. All it does is make the whole family suspect, and that’s unfair. Loved the DM article by the Lord Lituntant . If security is like that in the RF why were they surprised? I think Harry is jealous of William.

I have been thinking about the interview and I believe that Harry and Meghan are going to continue to be a thorn in the side of the RF. Even though they said that this interview would be the last thing they would say on this subject, Janina Gavankar was given permission by Meghan to respond the "recollections may vary" part of the Queen's statement. So, it is obvious that H & M are not going to stop talking about the RF. I am wondering how the RF are going to be able to effectively deal with this as time goes on?

I think that they've made a polite rebuttal of what was said, without getting into a fight. And i think if H and Meg go on attacking the RF nad doing it in such an incoherent way, people in the US will get wise ot them or get fed up with them...

I was thinking about the racist allegations. If one is going to lodge an allegation like that- then name the person. Otherwise stay quiet. All it does is make the whole family suspect, and that’s unfair. Loved the DM article by the Lord Lituntant . If security is like that in the RF why were they surprised? I think Harry is jealous of William.

One thing I believe Harry and Meghan were very aware of is that they knew that no matter what they said in the interview, the "institution" and the BRF would not play silly reindeer games back and forth. As this interview was geared to an American audience, who for the most part, have no inkling on how things work in a British monarchy (I sure didn't before I found TRF) or how the hierarchy of the line of succession works or have a clue even how British titles and styles work and other talking points that a lot of us have seen to be as full of holes as swiss cheese, their "truth" found a market and is believed.

In order to communicate truth, you have to speak to people in a language that they understand. Harry and Meghan banked on the fact that Americans don't understand the language of the British monarchy. ?

I don't know if I'd say Harry is jealous of William and wants what he has but I do believe that Harry and Meghan believed that they could have the best of both worlds. Give up the 5% funding from the Sovereign Grant and work part time for the "Firm" yet do their own thing in the US still living on the 95% that Charles doles out to them. They lost the "Firm" part and didn't really regret that as they figured they could go ahead with Archewell and "do good". They never expected the Bank of Daddy to close it's doors.

Not only do they have to survive and thrive on their own two feet but they're going to have all the headaches that adults in the real world have. Taxes, finding medical health coverage (they don't have an employer to provide that), schooling and tuition, upkeep and paychecks for staff and maintenance of their home along with utilities, their security detail and everything else. If they have "people", they will be "people" they have to pay for. There's no such thing as a free lunch for the Sussexes anymore. The ducal title may open doors but it ain't going to float the bills. ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom