The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2021, 03:52 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
I think I read at the time that it was Charles suggested them. He has a wide range of knowledge, interests and friendships from all over the world. It's incredibly unfair that he's one of the ones that people are automatically assuming "it's him!".

Not to mention he was publicly very welcoming to Meghan and her mother when her father let her down.
Yeah, Charles was woke before woke was a thing. He was among the first to speak about climate change, and was laughed at.

Old 03-12-2021, 04:27 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Ester View Post
For all of their talks of kindness, they have managed to cost two people their jobs, just for having a different opinion from H&M. They are now literally terrorizing the British press.
I think it's part of a wider "culture war", but, yes, it's very unfair that two people have lost their jobs just for expressing an opinion. All that the head of the Society of Editors did was say that the British press wasn't racist. And, whilst Piers Morgan isn't a very likeable character, it isn't an offence to say that you don't believe someone.

It's not unusual for the Mirror, the Star or the Sun, and especially the Mirror, to run a front page headline of "Liar" with a picture of a senior politician under it. In fact, hardly a day goes by without a journalist saying that they don't believe a word that some politician or other says, and that's not unique to the UK. Since when was it obligatory to leave your job for saying that you don't believe what someone said?

Old 03-12-2021, 04:54 AM
Serene Highness

Chris Ship is now another mouth piece for Meghan, interestingly enough he didn't mention the leaked e mails this morning, but he did say that Meghans purpose in all this is to open the discussion of racism in Britain.
He obviously wants scoops and has decided to be Team Meghan to get them, I have yet to hear him speak about any of the contradictions in the interview.
Meghan will release something else by the weekend, for the person who wants privacy she loves the headlines.
Old 03-12-2021, 04:57 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Observer7 View Post
Harry's family can like it or lump it. Harry and his wife have moved on.
If they have moved on, how are they doing an hour's interview complianing about his family? going back over things that happened years ago.
Old 03-12-2021, 05:16 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
I think it's part of a wider "culture war", but, yes, it's very unfair that two people have lost their jobs just for expressing an opinion. All that the head of the Society of Editors did was say that the British press wasn't racist. And, whilst Piers Morgan isn't a very likeable character, it isn't an offence to say that you don't believe someone.

It's not unusual for the Mirror, the Star or the Sun, and especially the Mirror, to run a front page headline of "Liar" with a picture of a senior politician under it. In fact, hardly a day goes by without a journalist saying that they don't believe a word that some politician or other says, and that's not unique to the UK. Since when was it obligatory to leave your job for saying that you don't believe what someone said?

I agree that the head of the Society of Editors shouldn't have been fired, I think that he defended the British press in a very measured way and he had every right to do it, since they were branded as racist as a whole.

I disagree about Piers though. I think it's not about calling her a liar per se, but it was about the specific subject. Most media are really careful about suicide coverage - and rightfully so, because you have to assume that suicidal people are watching. He also had the opportunity to apologize but didn't want to - he should have just apologized, given a message that there is help out there if you are feeling like you don't want to live anymore and named some resources.
Old 03-12-2021, 05:25 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC21091968 View Post
The reason why I'm sceptical of Meghan's claim of racism, because of lack of context & evidence and discrepancy between Harry & Meghan's recount. I believed in evidence and innocence until proven guilty. There has been cases of false allegations, where innocent lives have been ruined, whilst people believing all victims. Look at the social media and public support thrown at Jussie Smollett after the "allege assault" hate crime, before the police investigation. There is also the incident at Smith College. +

Don't get me wrong, racism should be called out and the perpetrator should be punished and held accountable. However, we need to look at the details, context and evidence before any judgements could be made. I don't think Meghan is lying and there might be some elements of truth to the racism incident. However, Oprah should have pressed on Harry and Meghan in getting every single details and evidence like what Andrew Neil would have done to his guests.
Meghan started out with claiming that a comment was made by "someone in the family" about what color of skin the Sussex child may be born with. She didn't even hear the person say it. It was relayed to her by Harry. They refused to name the person because "it could be damaging". What is more damaging is by alluding to something that someone said that may or may not be deemed "racist" actually ended up as a charge of racism not only on the royal family entirely but on the entire British monarchy. One person *may* have been responsible for a serious racist remark that sincerely was out of line but because *one* person made a remark, the blanket of the charge has been laid on a wider group of people and it's continuing to grow to a focus on racism in Great Britain. One spark of a comment without context lit a flame.

This makes me believe that the *purpose* of bring up the remark and deliberately saying they weren't naming names was to generate a pall of suspicion on *all* of them. We saw William being questioned. William should never have had to state publicly that "the royal family is not racist". Meghan threw out a seed in the hopes of planting something that would grow into sentiments of discord. She purposely, in my eyes, tried to bring a subject that is controversial and a very huge problem globally to the forefront by painting everyone with the same brush that *maybe* that one person making the remark should be painted with. That, to me, is opposite of "be kind".

There are different ways and means of making a difference in this world. This interview that Harry and Meghan have given is not a good example of how it's done. It's proof to me to that when they sit there and point fingers at others, the other three fingers on their hands are pointing right back at them. None of what they've laid out in that interview should ever have been put into the public domain. It served no purpose in the long run. It does tell the world that this couple isn't all happy, joy and light as we've thought they were with their new life. They *are* remaining in the public limelight these days but it's not for the reasons they'd hope to be. I hope they can sort themselves and their lives out and genuinely be happy but I think they have a long road to go before that happens.
Old 03-12-2021, 05:30 AM
Administrator

Since discussion has moved on from the Oprah interview and the immediate aftermath, this thread will now be closed.

Discussion about Harry & Meghan may now take place in the Duke & Duchess of Sussex & Family - General News March 2021 thread:

https://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...1-a-48372.html