The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2021, 09:13 AM
Heir Apparent

Diana once said that she and Charles worked very hard to ensure William and Harry were treated equally.

At one time I thought this was laudable, but in retrospect, I'm wondering if Charles and Diana made a mistake in not emphasizing there would be a difference in status for their sons?

Old 03-11-2021, 09:22 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Diana once said that she and Charles worked very hard to ensure William and Harry were treated equally.

At one time I thought this was laudable, but in retrospect, I'm wondering if Charles and Diana made a mistake in not emphasizing there would be a difference in status for their sons?
I dont know. It seems to me that Harry very much resents his status as second to William.. and feels that its not fair... and I think it has soured his relationship with his brohter. But I dont know if anything would help with that. Even if Chas and Diana tried to treat them equally within the family and as kids, there's going to come a time when it is clear to H that he's NOT ever going to be king.. and that he's not as privileged as his brother...and seems to me that he just cant' accept that, like he apparently can't accept that if he walks out of Royal life, he can't pop back in when it suits him, or continue to be supported by his father or the British taxpayer

Old 03-11-2021, 09:28 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by UglyAmerican View Post
By acting (she's good at that, remember?) like an adult and addressing the comment with the person who made it. She chose not to give enough information to allow others to make a real judgment about whether it was racist or not, but either way, that's how grown-ups handle things when relatives say things they find offensive.
The same way I react when some ignorant jerk at my synagogue says to me that my adopted son does not look Jewish, I ignore or I say, 'go away he as Jewish as you and I", you can't react the way she did to all the stupid remarks stupid people say
Old 03-11-2021, 09:53 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post

Btw...The Sun newspaper listed all the trips Meghan has made abroad during her engagement and time in the BRF.. most notably her post wedding visit to Lake Como to spend time with the Clooneys(along with Harry) and her NYC trip for her baby shower. There was an additional trip to Italy for Misha Nonoo's wedding, and the South of France to holiday with Elton John.

How did these trips happen without a passport? Why didn't Oprah ask?

Government employees who have service passports usually surrender those passports for storage at their respective department or agency. That is because they are only supposed to use those passports on official trips. I don't think Meghan's situation is exactly the same, but it is possible that members of RF who are issued official passports don't keep those passports with themselves all the time, but give it to some department within the Royal Household for safekeeping and collect it only when needed. It would be odd if Meghan was also asked to surrender her personal U.S. passport, but I don't think she would lie about that.

Anyway, I suspect the Palace most likely was only following some kind of standard procedure with respect to official passports, but, since we don't know all the facts (for example, if Meghan was also told not to use her personal passport anymore), it would be good if the Royal Household could provide some clarification.
Old 03-11-2021, 09:59 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Brilliant - I want the Queen Mary version of events, maybe the Tudors family feud or even the war of the Roses. Charles II, Queen Ann? It is like jerry Springer meets Horrible Histories.
This is brilliant
Old 03-11-2021, 10:15 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
I dont know. It seems to me that Harry very much resents his status as second to William.. and feels that its not fair... and I think it has soured his relationship with his brohter. But I dont know if anything would help with that. Even if Chas and Diana tried to treat them equally within the family and as kids, there's going to come a time when it is clear to H that he's NOT ever going to be king.. and that he's not as privileged as his brother...and seems to me that he just cant' accept that, like he apparently can't accept that if he walks out of Royal life, he can't pop back in when it suits him, or continue to be supported by his father or the British taxpayer
He was also the one that gave the interview that claimed "no one really wants to be King" which he later apologised for and by his own admission was "trapped" all his life but didn't see it.

You can't claim your incredibly thankful to your incredible wife for helping lead you out of bondage whilst simultaneously complaining that you don't have as many perks as your brother who's in line for the top job.

In some ways he's right. If William announced he wanted out there would be a much bigger constitutional crisis and not just one H&M have created themselves. He gets his children all HRH and a separate court, walking first etc but he also has a heavier burden. One that Harry doesn't seem to want.

Harry could have stayed in the army, he could have theoretically pursued something else with or without Meghan or they could have said before the wedding that they didn't think they wanted to be full time working royals.

Or settled somewhere more modest and peaceful where they could live off their invested money, feel safe and seek effective counselling for their traumas without "having" to make deals with two of the biggest entertainment companies in the world.

I think people can seem okay to outsiders when dealing with a variety of mental health issues but that also means that those who aren't trained aren't likely to notice anything is wrong unless the person involved or those they've told actually asks the appropriate people for help.

I so it comes back to the interview being "their truth" without being THE factual truth.
Old 03-11-2021, 10:28 AM
Serene Highness

I have been thinking about the interview and I believe that Harry and Meghan are going to continue to be a thorn in the side of the RF. Even though they said that this interview would be the last thing they would say on this subject, Janina Gavankar was given permission by Meghan to respond the "recollections may vary" part of the Queen's statement. So, it is obvious that H & M are not going to stop talking about the RF. I am wondering how the RF are going to be able to effectively deal with this as time goes on?
Old 03-11-2021, 10:29 AM
Heir Apparent

I was thinking about the racist allegations. If one is going to lodge an allegation like that- then name the person. Otherwise stay quiet. All it does is make the whole family suspect, and that’s unfair. Loved the DM article by the Lord Lituntant . If security is like that in the RF why were they surprised? I think Harry is jealous of William.
Old 03-11-2021, 10:47 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by duchessrachel View Post
I have been thinking about the interview and I believe that Harry and Meghan are going to continue to be a thorn in the side of the RF. Even though they said that this interview would be the last thing they would say on this subject, Janina Gavankar was given permission by Meghan to respond the "recollections may vary" part of the Queen's statement. So, it is obvious that H & M are not going to stop talking about the RF. I am wondering how the RF are going to be able to effectively deal with this as time goes on?
I think that they've made a polite rebuttal of what was said, without getting into a fight. And i think if H and Meg go on attacking the RF nad doing it in such an incoherent way, people in the US will get wise ot them or get fed up with them...
Old 03-11-2021, 10:52 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseroyal View Post
I was thinking about the racist allegations. If one is going to lodge an allegation like that- then name the person. Otherwise stay quiet. All it does is make the whole family suspect, and that’s unfair. Loved the DM article by the Lord Lituntant . If security is like that in the RF why were they surprised? I think Harry is jealous of William.
One thing I believe Harry and Meghan were very aware of is that they knew that no matter what they said in the interview, the "institution" and the BRF would not play silly reindeer games back and forth. As this interview was geared to an American audience, who for the most part, have no inkling on how things work in a British monarchy (I sure didn't before I found TRF) or how the hierarchy of the line of succession works or have a clue even how British titles and styles work and other talking points that a lot of us have seen to be as full of holes as swiss cheese, their "truth" found a market and is believed.

In order to communicate truth, you have to speak to people in a language that they understand. Harry and Meghan banked on the fact that Americans don't understand the language of the British monarchy.

I don't know if I'd say Harry is jealous of William and wants what he has but I do believe that Harry and Meghan believed that they could have the best of both worlds. Give up the 5% funding from the Sovereign Grant and work part time for the "Firm" yet do their own thing in the US still living on the 95% that Charles doles out to them. They lost the "Firm" part and didn't really regret that as they figured they could go ahead with Archewell and "do good". They never expected the Bank of Daddy to close it's doors.

Not only do they have to survive and thrive on their own two feet but they're going to have all the headaches that adults in the real world have. Taxes, finding medical health coverage (they don't have an employer to provide that), schooling and tuition, upkeep and paychecks for staff and maintenance of their home along with utilities, their security detail and everything else. If they have "people", they will be "people" they have to pay for. There's no such thing as a free lunch for the Sussexes anymore. The ducal title may open doors but it ain't going to float the bills.
Old 03-11-2021, 10:54 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Scot View Post
Nobody is saying that Charles should totally fund Harry's life in the U.S. Harry and Meghan reached lucrative deals with Spotify and Netflix. But the security being taken away from Harry and his family is a sore spot. Harry said it happened suddenly and he had no idea that it was going to be taken away. A major part of the interview was Harry and Meghan talking about security. My opinion is that Charles ignores the depth of Harry's feelings about this and his feeling of being let down by his father at his own peril. He will be estranged from his son forever.
It’s obvious that you are a very devoted fan of Harry and Meghan, and I was in the past, but I disagree the suggestion that Charles should pay for security because Harry really wants him to is analogous to a parent giving a toddler ice cream because the toddler really wants it. At some point, all of us have to realize that other people’s feelings are as important as their own.

With respect to the cost of security, that was part of the discussion when Meghan and Harry jumped the gun and announced that they were going to “step back” as senior royals.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-51040751

Queen Mathilde pointed out that Canada had initially offered to pay for their security but the offer was withdrawn when the taxpayers objected (post 538). I can’t blame them because according to the article below, the Canadian taxpayers spent at least $40,000 for about six weeks of security. What were the Canadians going to receive in exchange for paying their security?
https://observer.com/2020/06/prince-...ian-taxpayers/

As an aside, Harry and Meghan had more than a month’s notice that their security was going to be cut off – and the discussions were going on before this announcement was made.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-51636835

My guess is that it never occurred to Harry and Meghan that Canada would (or could) withdraw its offer. Harry didn’t want to pay for it himself and, even though it was Harry’s choice to walk away and lose his public funded security, he called Dad demanding that Dad shell out the money for his security.

I understand that Harry and Meghan are at a higher risk because he was born into the royal family. But at the same time, Harry’s money (including payments from Netflix and Spotify) is also due to his royal status. He wants all of the advantages but none of the disadvantages. That is not how life works.

Even more outrageous is that after publicly trashing his father, Harry had the nerve to express his intention of making “healing” their relationship a priority. This is the equivalent of someone punching you knowing that you won’t punch back and then refusing to apologize while saying that he hopes you can still be friends. If his relationship with his father is truly a priority, he would have refrained from making it worse.

I suspect that although Charles is still angry, he will forgive Harry (and probably already has). Harry will continue to be a very loved son, but Harry has a lot of work to do to heal the relationship. The first thing that Harry should do is drop the demand that Charles pay for his bills and the last thing that Charles should do is to agree to pay them.
Old 03-11-2021, 11:05 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post
I suspect that although Charles is still angry, he will forgive Harry (and probably already has). Harry will continue to be a very loved son, but Harry has a lot of work to do to heal the relationship. The first thing that Harry should do is drop the demand that Charles pay for his bills and the last thing that Charles should do is to agree to pay them.
Perhaps, even, with Charles refusing to open the bank account for security or anything else, Charles is actually giving his son the kind of love that he really needs right now. Tough love.

It's one thing for a parent to step in and help out their children in times of dire need but to enable a child from growing into an independent adult (as we know is something Harry has stated that can be quoted verbatim) is a horse of a totally different color.

You don't always get what you want but sometimes you get what you need.
Old 03-11-2021, 11:06 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I think that they've made a polite rebuttal of what was said, without getting into a fight. And i think if H and Meg go on attacking the RF nad doing it in such an incoherent way, people in the US will get wise ot them or get fed up with them...
Thank you. Yes, Hollywood and the press in the US are very fickle. They love people one minute and hate them the next. I really don't think Harry and Meghan realize that. Harry was a well-loved prince and did an excellent job in his royal engagements. If H& M had remained working royals and had continued to do their job, eventually the UK press would have settled down. It did so for Camilla, who was probably the most hated woman in the UK at one point, so it certainly would have for them eventually. It is sad that Harry and Meghan could not ignore the parts of press coverage they did not like and concentrate on the largely goodwill of the people (as I observed it) toward them.
Old 03-11-2021, 11:10 AM
Majesty

Quote:
It

I expect he will forgive Harry but I cant help feeling that if he stopped taking H's calls, that is a sign that while parental love hasn't vanished, he is very very very fed up with and disappointed with Harry.. and I question whether he will want to see him for some time unless Harry changes his attitude. Im not sure if he continued to help H out financially this past year.. but if he did, I'd say that that was all that he should be expected to do, tide him over for a bit until he and Meghan found paying work of some kind. Whereas I get the feeling that Harry, in spite of saying they wanted to have a professional incoeme had no real intention of working and no real idea of what he could do.. (and he still hasnt).....
Old 03-11-2021, 11:24 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
It’s obvious that you are a very devoted fan of Harry and Meghan, and I was in the past, but I disagree the suggestion that Charles should pay for security because Harry really wants him to is analogous to a parent giving a toddler ice cream because the toddler really wants it. At some point, all of us have to realize that other people’s feelings are as important as their own.

With respect to the cost of security, that was part of the discussion when Meghan and Harry jumped the gun and announced that they were going to “step back” as senior royals.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-51040751

Queen Mathilde pointed out that Canada had initially offered to pay for their security but the offer was withdrawn when the taxpayers objected (post 538). I can’t blame them because according to the article below, the Canadian taxpayers spent at least $40,000 for about six weeks of security. What were the Canadians going to receive in exchange for paying their security?
https://observer.com/2020/06/prince-...ian-taxpayers/

As an aside, Harry and Meghan had more than a month’s notice that their security was going to be cut off – and the discussions were going on before this announcement was made.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-51636835

My guess is that it never occurred to Harry and Meghan that Canada would (or could) withdraw its offer. Harry didn’t want to pay for it himself and, even though it was Harry’s choice to walk away and lose his public funded security, he called Dad demanding that Dad shell out the money for his security.

I understand that Harry and Meghan are at a higher risk because he was born into the royal family. But at the same time, Harry’s money (including payments from Netflix and Spotify) is also due to his royal status. He wants all of the advantages but none of the disadvantages. That is not how life works.

Even more outrageous is that after publicly trashing he father, Harry had the nerve to express his intention of making “healing” their relationship a priority. This is the equivalent of someone punching you knowing that you won’t punch back and then refusing to apologize while saying that he hopes you can still be friends. If his relationship with his father is truly a priority, he would have refrained from making it worse.

Also, as I understand, the RF does not even decide who receives security. It is the Metropolitan police who determine the threat level and who in the RF needs it. Am I correct in that? I think I remember reading it.
Old 03-11-2021, 11:27 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Also, as I understand, the RF does not even decide who receives security. It is the Metropolitan police who determine the threat level and who in the RF needs it. Am I correct in that? I think I remember reading it.
That is correct. The RPOs work for the Metropolitan Police and not for the royals, themselves.
Old 03-11-2021, 11:28 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I expect he will forgive Harry but I cant help feeling that if he stopped taking H's calls, that is a sign that while parental love hasn't vanished, he is very very very fed up with and disappointed with Harry.. and I question whether he will want to see him for some time unless Harry changes his attitude.
Harry said that they were speaking again but I suspect that Harry is back to waiting for phone calls to be returned.

I agree that this interview will cause a wide chasm with the whole family that will probably not completely heal. How can they trust that Harry will keep anything private now. Even if Harry never does an interview, they have to worry that he will tell Meghan and if she doesn't spill the beans, she'll get her friends to do it.
Old 03-11-2021, 11:31 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Generally speaking yes. Of course the queen and heir and their consorts will always have security.. because by the very nature of their position they are high risk. Harry as a working royal and an ex solider would be high risk while working - but that might change over time. Andrew I think has lost his security now that he's not a working royal. So did Bea and Eugenie.. they weren't considered high risk and economies needed to be made.
Fergie lost her security when she divorced.. but Diana kept hers although she wasn't considered a workign royal but she was a high profile and deemed to be at risk....
Old 03-11-2021, 11:32 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseroyal View Post
I agree. The biggest problem for the family now is that Harry and Meghan have probably already shared the name with their talkative friends, so it will be leaked out eventually.

Even if their friends manage to keep it quiet, which I doubt, the next time Meghan and Harry feel slighted they will do another interview.
Old 03-11-2021, 11:33 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Harry said that they were speaking again but I suspect that Harry is back to waiting for phone calls to be returned.

I agree that this interview will cause a wide chasm with the whole family that will probably not completely heal. How can they trust that Harry will keep anything private now. Even if Harry never does an interview, they have to worry that he will tell Meghan and if she doesn't spill the beans, she'll get her friends to do it.
I agree. I think that if Harry had acted calmly and sensibly, Charles would have continued some kind of allowance.. discreetly -.from his own money... if he really felt his son was doing his best to have a new and fairly private life...
but it seem as if even back some months ago, He could not put up with Harry ranting and demanding money... and cut him off.

Closed Thread