The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2021, 01:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin9 View Post
That’ll just lead to mud slinging and drag this horror out. These were private issues. They should have stayed that way.

This response was very good. I imagine it took some time to craft it. It was well thought out IMO.
Agree, i would even go as far to say that the royals *did* learn from the past and know a public response has never yet worked out well..

Old 03-09-2021, 01:27 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
Also the way we view things are different. Less competition on networks back in 1995 than 2021 in the era of streaming. Either way that is quite a number.

Just glad they did release a statement. It was needed since the royals are still going out on engagements and they don't need to be ambushed with questions.

It has been stated.
Also there was no build up. It was just announced a couple of days before. Totally out of the blue. Best kept secret.

Old 03-09-2021, 01:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post
Interesting point. I didn't realize this but it makes sense that Harry and Meghan were not paid $100 million but were given it to produce things and have to pay the cost of the production and they could pay themselves a salary. They have spent $20+ million buying a house and paying for the renovations at Frogmore. I wonder if they are only now beginning to realize that they even with Spotify and Netflix, they are going to run out of money.

I just hope that, if they do run out of money, Charles doesn't cave and bail them out.
Old 03-09-2021, 01:30 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseroyal View Post
They should respond in public. They won’t. That’s one of the problems.
Whatever else they say it just becomes a war of words and spirals downward. This way it cuts it off at the knees. They're not responding to H&M so they're not giving them any ammo. Sometimes the only way to stop a fight is to not engage.
Old 03-09-2021, 01:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

The Duke & Duchess of Sussex - Interview with Oprah March 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by moby View Post
Though I thought they would not issue a statement but provide media lines, I was correct in my guess that the statement would mention these elements:

Race issue to be taken seriously

Matters to be dealt with privately

That line about Harry Meghan being much loved members of the family.

However, the “recollections may vary” line is genius. Props to their comms team for that succinct but loaded line.

It was genius indeed. “Recollections may vary” was, as you said, succinct but loaded. Spoke volumes about how they feel, but keeping it classy and without calling the Sussexes liars outright. And recollections can and do vary. Their PR team sure earned their paycheck IMO.

I can only imagine what they’re all saying privately.....
Old 03-09-2021, 01:33 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
It sill beggars belief that they would tell her she could not have it. It might be difficult to arrange, but they could have done it, and i find it hard to believe that having supported Harry and Diana when they had mental health issues they would not do the same for her...
Just spitballing here, but is it possible she had a specific place in mind? Something that might have seemed to the folks in charge, inappropriate, like a private spa-like clinic in Switzerland or something? It does indeed beggar belief that she would be told she couldn't have ANY help.
Old 03-09-2021, 01:38 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
The doctor makes real good statements that explain why Meghan (and Harry) did not take on any help with their depression. The worst for me was that they feared the didgnosis would become public information leading the media into a new, negative frenzy. I can imagine how captured they felt in their gilded cage when they couldn't even be sure that their call for help to a doctor would stay confidental.

It would be okay to tell that, IMHO. But I think we never learned of the real reasons of their struggle with Prince Charles and thus it is diffuclt to put that into perspective. Harry is very angry with his father and the way he feels reduced to a second class-family member. IMHO he still suffers from what he saw in Afghanistan, so getting protection for his family is an extremely important point for him. Meghan and their son being POCs makes them even more endangered. We don't know what Harry took with him in beliefs what really happened to his mother, but he surely saw what the British state is able to do in war times. Meghan maybe saw "On her Majesty's Secret Service" or any of all the other movies dealing with MI5 or 6 (or whatever) and both might have really felt threatened for their life. And Diana died because she did not have police protection, we shouldn't forget that, as noone checked to see if she was securely belted into the car on her last travel.

IMHO both suffer from tough cases of anxiety. Maybe telling the world at the cost of their bonds to Harry's family was a cry out to the world about how they feel. I am just sorry that the world will not give them what they need. Only they themselves can give them their inner peace back and I hope they take the time and medical help to reach that.
This is why they are angry and bitter. They feel that the world owes them the adulation they want
Old 03-09-2021, 01:38 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I just hope that, if they do run out of money, Charles doesn't cave and bail them out.
I hope so too.
Old 03-09-2021, 01:39 PM
Royal Highness

[QUOTE=Kellydofc;2378736]
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenMathilde View Post

I do know Edward and Sophie had to give up their jobs and there was some growing pains there. But he doesn't seem to have the second son problem for being resentful that his position would lessen in life. If anything his issue was that he wanted to keep working but he gave up the production company easily as Sophie did her job and there were no grumbling interviews, no over the top behavior.
Edward was born way down the succession - he was spare to the spare. He was told as a child that that only contribution he could make to the family was to die in a war. He never ever had a position. He was left alone by Uncle Dickie and not moddlling by the Queen Mother. Charles and Andrew were both placed under the wing of a senior office from about 15 to shape and mould them. (As was William and Harry) When Edward left school, the Duke of Edinburgh asked to see the officer that was Edward's mentor - only to have the palace reply that would have been you sir. No one had told him.
Old 03-09-2021, 01:40 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I hear you but Charles would have to consider their security, after all, they are his children and grandchildren. I can see him placing conditions such as moving back to the UK and living in one of the estates, where there is already security. Maybe also an NDA. There is no way that they could become working royals, but Charles, like Andrew, would probably pay for security when they leave the estate.
Old 03-09-2021, 01:40 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy7 View Post
Everyone in the UK knew he wasnt going to be a Prince on birth. The title he would have used was Lord or Earl of Dumbarton. It was there decision not to use this and that was reported.
I am not buying it. It's an excuse. If that was the case, the title issue would have come up by Megan and Harry. They have explained why THEY did not want it for their son. Meghan said that they did not have the right to make that decision for Archie or take that from him.

I am not debating it further. As I said, it's just an excuse for not doing the right thing.
Old 03-09-2021, 01:43 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarebaby View Post
Just spitballing here, but is it possible she had a specific place in mind? Something that might have seemed to the folks in charge, inappropriate, like a private spa-like clinic in Switzerland or something? It does indeed beggar belief that she would be told she couldn't have ANY help.
I do tend to think she wanted to go to a spa out of the country and that was the sticking point. I just can't believe she was told she couldn't get any help and I can't believe that as a mid-30 year old woman with access to her own private doctor and OBGYN and a husband who was the patron of mental health organizations she couldn't find any help that way either. The whole mental health story sounds off.
Old 03-09-2021, 01:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
that's not the point. Other men risked htier lives, they dont get police protection. he got police protection because he was a working royal.. by his own choice, he stopped being a working royal....

In the times I talked about he was not a working Royal but a working soldier and still had protection because he was endangered in this role. My point was that this time influenced Harry's view on the risks he and his wife and son face, no matter if they are working Royals or not. I think the clash came as they moved away from the UK because of the media and living overseas, neither the British police (payed by the taxpayer) nor the guest states' police wanted to step in and Charles did not want to pick up the tab for security in a foreign country when they could have lived securely in Frogmore.

I guess Charles did not understand just how important the fight against the hostile media and the need for security would be for both Meghan and Harry in their depression-anxiety bubble. IIRC Harry actually saw soldiers being killed right beside him and that could have led to PTSD and when he saw what happened to his wife, the way that old-fashioned institution reacted to her new ideas and her way to like to live, they both got into the fangs off anxiety. Maybe Harry wants back and though this would be a way to make it happen? By forcing his father to change his stance on thinking about the importance of both his sons? I don't know but I don't think they would have said these things if they weren't really hurt and angry about what had happened to them.

Mind, they are not the victims here, but I don't think Harry realised what he was doing at all and even being able to finance their life in the US is not all he wants. Yep, he is pampered and thought he could keep his cake and feast on it at the same time, he wasn't aware just how bad the prize would be he has to pay and just wanted to give his wife whatever she wanted but I think they are paying a prize and this was their stupid try to get the Royal family to finally understand why they acted as they did.. And maybe find some peace with them. They still have the heart of the queen and that's something. That poor lady! That strange British concept of how the RF lives with the unpolite and lying media is so not understandible for me.

They need new rules for what the media is allowed to write, so that the lot of "invented" stories with their harsh focuses against people stop. Oh, if there are scandals etc. they have to be written about but stories like these avocado-stories, only written to mow people down have to stop. IMHO, of course.
Old 03-09-2021, 01:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Great statement by BP. It is generous enough people can’t really complain about it- acknowledge and move on in private- perfect. The line about “accounts vary” is royal speak for liars but H&M can hardly shout out about it given how polite and mild it is versus everything they said. Love as well how they didn’t release anything immediately, perfect way to handle it!
Old 03-09-2021, 01:53 PM
Gentry

The Royals are probably reeling but the statement is very well written and gives no ammunition to M&H. Charles started doing engagements, life goes on and it happened very quickly. Meghan might be very angry that after less than 2 glory days they're running out of steam. People have a short attention span.
Btw, they fell in love but both were destructive and basically they both were depressed during their time together and still can't stop talking about the firm and find happiness with Archie, lovely home and themselves. It's sad. Also really it seems they have no idea what projects to do and what image to choose.
Old 03-09-2021, 01:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by principessa View Post
Just amazing.
Simple, empathic enough but throwing major shade at the same time. Love it !
A nice, gloved middle finger, with a cup of tea ...
Old 03-09-2021, 02:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

''Some accounts may vary'' is saying you don't care and you don't believe what they're saying...
Old 03-09-2021, 02:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
Imo that was a classy comment:
acknowledging their pain
sympathizing
leaving the door open for reconciliation

but at the same time not
being defensive
lashing back at H&M

I agree with your summary of their statement. As expected, there was the statement acknowledging that the family will always love them.
Old 03-09-2021, 02:04 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarebaby View Post
I think you might be right. Especially that she stated in the interview she "needed to go somewhere" to get help. Strange wording if you mean therapy sessions.
Old 03-09-2021, 02:07 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Observer7 View Post
I am not buying it. It's an excuse. If that was the case, the title issue would have come up by Megan and Harry. They have explained why THEY did not want it for their son. Meghan said that they did not have the right to make that decision for Archie or take that from him.

I am not debating it further. As I said, it's just an excuse for not doing the right thing.
This is a good explanation of the issue. It's from the BBC which is one of the world's premier broadcasters:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-563259...e%20of%20Wales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post

They need new rules for what the media is allowed to write, so that the lot of "invented" stories with their harsh focuses against people stop. Oh, if there are scandals etc. they have to be written about but stories like these avocado-stories, only written to mow people down have to stop. IMHO, of course.
Well this is one of those perennial topics. And a matter for Parliament. One person's reform is another person's censorship.

At least we don't have those partisan tv news networks that some places do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
Great statement by BP. It is generous enough people can’t really complain about it- acknowledge and move on in private- perfect. The line about “accounts vary” is royal speak for liars but H&M can hardly shout out about it given how polite and mild it is versus everything they said. Love as well how they didn’t release anything immediately, perfect way to handle it!
Yes I agree. It's interesting that there was no use of any titles in the statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
Just amazing.
Simple, empathic enough but throwing major shade at the same time. Love it !
A nice, gloved middle finger, with a cup of tea ...
I wish I'd come up with that! I have quote envy.

Closed Thread