The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2021, 11:54 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Scot View Post
It sounds like your company doesn't have an Employee Assistance Program (EAP). Many companies do so that an employee can go to them for help. It is a confidential program. Meghan said that her union as an actress had an EAP. So that was her frame of reference for going to Human Resources.
In 20+ years I've worked in many different industries and honestly have never run across anything run by an HR department that provided any kind of medical assistance.

Frankly Meghan should have had some frame of reference for medical care in the UK because she had obviously received OBGYN care. I have to assume she didn't go to the HR department to get that. I still honestly believe she didn't convey the severity of the situation and only asked to be sent to a facility out of the country. When that request was turned down she didn't peruse other avenues of treatment.

Old 03-09-2021, 11:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by texankitcat View Post
This isn’t a naive sheltered 18 year old. This is a 39:year old strong independent feminist who had a career and managed her own life for man6 years. This is a woman who fights for women to have their own voice, and yet was incapable of taking responsibility to pick up the phone and contact her doctor for a discreet referral? She was completely dependent on other people to help her, speak for her, protect her, etc? That just doesn’t ring true for me.
Exactly, Meghan was a strong independent woman prior to entering the royal family. That she claims to have suffered so much and was so badly broken is significant. The couple said things had to be done the way "The Firm" does them. She also spoke about how she was told sge would've been "protected "--- but eventually that didn't happen.

Old 03-10-2021, 12:12 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
When someone is in a crisis and says they feel like they " don't want to be here anymore"hospitalized- in home treatments don't work- they need to be hospitalized. After stabilization then arrangements can be made for outpatient treatment. Meghan claimed she was begging for help and "nothing was being done" that implies they didn't even try to get her as you suggested private in-home care. Those are serious charges and like I have been saying it definitely
warrants and inquiry and procedures need to be reformed if it is in fact true.
And that's the thing. We don't know it is true. We have two people's account. Two people who no offense to you have an agenda of their own and that is to garner as much sympathy from the public as possible. Two people who knew going in that the BRF weren't going to make a huge public statement refuting what they said which means they can say pretty much whatever they wish.

Do I think Meghan made absolutely everything up? No. I think there's a kernel of truth in the narrative the Sussexes are weaving. Do I think they're HIGHLY shading and twisting things to suit their narrative, yes. There's just to many things about the whole story that don't add up for the story to be the complete and utter truth IMO.

And the reality is as much as the public may scream and shout right now this will be handled privately so we won't know if there's a change in internal procedures at Buckingham Palace or Clarence House or Kensington. Nor will Harry or Meghan because their days as working royals are over. According to their interview something they apparently never had intensions of being from the word go.
Old 03-10-2021, 12:13 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by texankitcat View Post
This isn’t a naive sheltered 18 year old. This is a 39:year old strong independent feminist who had a career and managed her own life for man6 years. This is a woman who fights for women to have their own voice, and yet was incapable of taking responsibility to pick up the phone and contact her doctor for a discreet referral? She was completely dependent on other people to help her, speak for her, protect her, etc? That just doesn’t ring true for me.
But this strong, independent 39-year-old feminist was not at full strength and not thinking straight; she was suffering from mental issues so serious that she was having suicidal thoughts at the time. She needed help and when she asked for it, it was denied. Leaving aside for the moment why Harry wasn't providing the help she needed, why did she go to HR? She wasn't an employee, she was a member of the royal family. Unless in fact there is some sort of employer/employee structure set up for the working royals that provides some sort of tax benefit. Maybe there really is a "Firm". That possibility only just occurred to me and would explain the approach to "HR". This whole business is making me ask questions about how the BRF actually runs: where there is a formal, legal, structure. But surely there would be a record of that. And now I need to follow that up.
Old 03-10-2021, 12:25 AM
Serene Highness

Britain Elects with did some polls after the Oprah's interview on the 9th March with 1056 adults. This was done between J.L.Partners and the Daily Mail. The survey has a series of questions with breakdowns based on age, gender and regions in which are found in the spreadsheet. Unfortunately, I cannot attached the spreadsheet to this post.

J.L. Partners website (the first link from the top): https://www.jlpartners.co.uk/polling-results

Britain Elects has also tweeted out the overall/generalised results. I have slightly changed the spacing and formatting to make it shorter.
Britain Elects @BritainElects
Public opinion towards... (Positive / Negative)
The Queen: 79% / 15%
Prince Philip: 59% / 32%
Prince Charles: 52% / 41%
Prince William: 78% / 16%
Catherine: 71% / 15%
Prince Harry: 54% / 40%
Meghan: 41% / 49%
via @JLPartnersPolls, 09 Mar
10:38 AM · Mar 10, 2021·TweetDeck
https://twitter.com/BritainElects/st...32451223859200
Public opinion towards Prince Andrew:
Positive: 10%
Negative: 83%
via @JLPartnersPolls
https://jlpartners.co.uk/polling-results
10:42 AM · Mar 10, 2021·TweetDeck
https://twitter.com/BritainElects/st...33318199025664
"The monarchy should be abolished"
Agree: 29%
Disagree: 50%
Neither agree/disagree: 14%
via @JLPartnersPolls
10:47 AM · Mar 10, 2021·TweetDeck
https://twitter.com/BritainElects/st...34661806563332
Do you believe that Meghan was the victim of racism within the Royal Family?
I believe: 34%
I do not believe: 41%
10:55 AM · Mar 10, 2021·TweetDeck
https://twitter.com/BritainElects/st...36708920516608
Do you believe that Meghan was the victim of racism within the country at large?
I believe: 37%
I do not believe: 44%
https://twitter.com/BritainElects/st...36770388090880
Which statement comes closest to your view?
Harry and Meghan are more out of touch than the Queen/Royal Family: 31%
The Queen/Royal Family are more out of touch than Harry and Meghan:43%
via @JLPartnersPolls
10:59 AM · Mar 10, 2021·TweetDeck
https://twitter.com/BritainElects/st...37733236707334
Old 03-10-2021, 12:28 AM
Courtier

Honestly, it makes zero sense for Meghan to go to "the institution's" HR for this kind of assistance. She knew, by then, since she was pregnant, that her healthcare wasn't handled by BP's HR department.
Old 03-10-2021, 12:37 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC21091968 View Post
Britain Elects with did some polls after the Oprah's interview on the 9th March with 1056 adults. This was done between J.L.Partners and the Daily Mail. The survey has a series of questions with breakdowns based on age, gender and regions in which are found in the spreadsheet. Unfortunately, I cannot attached the spreadsheet to this post.

J.L. Partners website (the first link from the top): https://www.jlpartners.co.uk/polling-results

Britain Elects has also tweeted out the overall/generalised results. I have slightly changed the spacing and formatting to make it shorter.
Public opinion towards... (Positive / Negative)
The Queen: 79% / 15%
Prince Philip: 59% / 32%
Prince Charles: 52% / 41%
Prince William: 78% / 16%
Catherine: 71% / 15%
Prince Harry: 54% / 40%
Meghan: 41% / 49%
10:38 AM · Mar 10, 2021·TweetDeck
Public opinion towards Prince Andrew:
Positive: 10%
Negative: 83%
via @JLPartnersPolls
https://jlpartners.co.uk/polling-results
10:42 AM · Mar 10, 2021·TweetDeck
https://twitter.com/BritainElects/st...33318199025664
"The monarchy should be abolished"
Agree: 29%
Disagree: 50%
Neither agree/disagree: 14%
via @JLPartnersPolls
10:47 AM · Mar 10, 2021·TweetDeck
https://twitter.com/BritainElects/st...34661806563332
Do you believe that Meghan was the victim of racism within the Royal Family?
I believe: 34%
I do not believe: 41%
10:55 AM · Mar 10, 2021·TweetDeck
https://twitter.com/BritainElects/st...36708920516608
Do you believe that Meghan was the victim of racism within the country at large?
I believe: 37%
I do not believe: 44%
https://twitter.com/BritainElects/st...36770388090880
via @JLPartnersPolls
10:59 AM · Mar 10, 2021·TweetDeck
https://twitter.com/BritainElects/st...37733236707334
Wow that last question:

via @JLPartnersPolls
Old 03-10-2021, 12:42 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Scot View Post
Wow that last question:

via @JLPartnersPolls
And yet the Queen, Philip, William & Kate all have higher approval ratings than Harry, and Harry only barely nips in ahead of Charles. Meghan's approval ratings, as well as the answers to the racism questions, are also telling. I'm not sure why this question's response seems to be such an outlier to the rest of the poll's results.
Old 03-10-2021, 12:52 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnystar View Post
And yet the Queen, Philip, William & Kate all have higher approval ratings than Harry, and Harry only barely nips in ahead of Charles. Meghan's approval ratings, as well as the answers to the racism questions, are also telling. I'm not sure why this question's response seems to be such an outlier to the rest of the poll's results.
And this is why I'm puzzle by the overall flow of results

Unless the term "out of touch" is interpreted differently (i.e. financially rather than the royal family's opinions/action). For example, The Queen might be out of touch from British working class in terms of wealth, but she recognised her privileges and used these opportunity to serve the nation and her people. The public recognises and admires her dedication to public services as the nation's head of state and hence the high rating.

Harry and Meghan maybe more in touch and relatable with society based on the poll figures, but that does not translate to admiration. Perhaps that's the reason why they do not have a high positive opinions.

Again, this is my opinion and interpretation.
Old 03-10-2021, 01:13 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopoldine View Post
I read in a book (Royals at War by Dylan Howard) that during her pregnancy she went to a very posh spa, (Heckfield Place in Hampshire) and separately also had a course of acupuncture, availed herself of massage therapy and aromatherapy, did chanting and consulted a numerologist. I don't think she was prevented from getting psychiatric help, I think that the palace didn't like her chosen venue which was probably in another country.
There is, even with the 'heads together' campaign, a stigma about mental health. Its one thing for a member of the royal family to see a therapist. But it would be another for a member of the RF to check into some where for mental health. A therapist can quietly come to the palace or to Frogmore, a stay at a mental health hospital or retreat is another matter all together.

Sadly there may very well be members of the 'firm' who think mental health is not something to be spoken of. And certainly not to be made public.

Its one thing to go to a spa and have accupuncture. Nothing remotely 'taboo' about that. Mental health sadly is another matter. Especially if tabloids got a hold of it.
Old 03-10-2021, 01:25 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnystar View Post
I agree. It always does seem like the Royal Family is out of touch with the realities of life. Maharani Gayatri Devi spoke of the first time she visited a village. She said she was being exposed to a whole new world. Royals in their castles are definitely out of touch.

What is more damning is that given all their relatability, Meghan and Harry are not that far behind in this poll. Only 13%.
Old 03-10-2021, 01:26 AM
Heir Presumptive

What I wonder: she had that private babyshower in NY while she was pregnant. Why not ask her friends for help? Or the friends she had met of Harry? She had email contact, why wasn't there someone she could have asked? She could have gone anonymously to a ex-pat forum for Americans in the UK and ask there. Or find out who runs the charity Harry was representing and had a private talk with them? She had managed so much in private during her time at KP, why did she not use any of these contacts to help her? I don't get that, really I don't. She can't have been so helpless and naive during that time, she had a personal assistent eg.
Old 03-10-2021, 01:38 AM
Heir Apparent

I think there is a lot more to the claims no one helped her and she contacted the Palace HR team. On one hand I don't believe Meghan would claim she got in touch if she didn't as that is too easily verifiable and the Palace could easily come out and say "no you didn't". It is rather like her comment about her passport and car keys being taken away - IMO this refers at most to the fact such items would be held by staff for safe keeping (and for the passport so it can be accessed by staff when needed) but it was turned in the interview into something much more dramatic and sinister to suit the narrative at play. It may be factually true but is taken out of context. That is the same here I believe. The Palace HR team wouldn't book a member of the RF into a facility, it is not their role to and this may be what was said, in the kindest way and with support, but taken well out of context. I mean would you expect Joe Biden to contact the White House HR department if he experienced the same? I don't believe the family or any palace official wouldn't help her, the RF have made mental health a huge part of their work and whatever else you say about Palace aides the "most senior" ones aren't completely stupid to refuse a member of the RF help for an issue they are championing. Given how much Charles wanted to support them and his own experiences and those of his sons I'm sure if she had mentioned it to him he would have helped. It just doesn't add up to me.
Old 03-10-2021, 01:46 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Oprah: You wanted freedom from . . . from that life? You wanted freedom to make your own money. You wanted freedom to make deals with Netflix and Spotify. But you also wanted to serve the Queen?
Quote:
Harry: Yeah, we didn’t want to . . . we didn’t want to give up, or we didn’t want to turn our backs on the associations and the people that we  . . . that we’ve been supporting.
Translation, for once in Harry's life they didnt give in to anything he demanded. They didnt want him to sell out hisnvconnection to royalty while working for his family. Does he not realize how this would look?

Question, why would H+M want to stay and work with people who are racist and made them feel trapped? They didnt stayy because the royals didnt give in to their demands
Old 03-10-2021, 01:49 AM
Aristocracy

Just a thought on the racist comment conversation. Assuming that Harry’s recollection is accurate (and I believe that it is), that the conversation occurred i the run-up to their engagement, it could have gone something like this:

“With all the negativity in the tabloids about Meghan’s race, it could get a lot worse for your kids, especially if their skin color is too dark. Are you and Meghan prepared to deal with this?”

Not a racist comment in and of itself (I believe), but just a recognition that racism does exist and could present problems for them they may not have considered.
Old 03-10-2021, 01:54 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
There is, even with the 'heads together' campaign, a stigma about mental health. Its one thing for a member of the royal family to see a therapist. But it would be another for a member of the RF to check into some where for mental health. A therapist can quietly come to the palace or to Frogmore, a stay at a mental health hospital or retreat is another matter all together.

Sadly there may very well be members of the 'firm' who think mental health is not something to be spoken of. And certainly not to be made public.

Its one thing to go to a spa and have accupuncture. Nothing remotely 'taboo' about that. Mental health sadly is another matter. Especially if tabloids got a hold of it.
I only mentioned the massages etc. because to me, these pregnancy treatments were indicative of someone who would not hesitate at all to seek the appropriate self-help.

I don't think a heavily pregnant HRH would be permitted to go stay in a foreign treatment center or hospital for any length of time, and that might have been specifically what she wanted.

It is common in NYC to see a therapist or psychiatrist and not hide it. California as well.
Old 03-10-2021, 02:07 AM
Heir Presumptive

In the end, I think what Harry and Meghan tried to show "the world", that is: the media and their readers who love Royal gossip (including stories about avocados) what they made out of a beloved prince and his bride, who once was an independent woman with a career. They learned not to trust the people working at BP (as "they lie for their principals instead of speaking the truth about another member of the family"), they didn't help and the main family with Prince Charles in the front row did not use their influence to defend them and to help Meghan but cut them off when they fled the Uk. Their way to see the situation, their experiences, their life.

I understand them, I understand Charles and William, I see the "little flight" Andrew and his family made from BP to their own "palace" Royal Lodge and I am convinced that if the media had not pursued Meghan in such a terrible, terrible way they could have found a solution for Harry and Meghan to stay and keep working. They already had their private home away from the others, their own charitable endeavours, their own field of work for the Commonwealth and it could have worked out if the media (and their readers) had allowed them one moment of peace to sort through all of this. IMHO, of course.
Old 03-10-2021, 02:17 AM
Heir Presumptive

Surely if you need mental health help, you speak to your doctor about it who refers you to the experts.
Old 03-10-2021, 03:03 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarlita View Post
Surely if you need mental health help, you speak to your doctor about it who refers you to the experts.
That's the way it works here if you want to see a psychiatrist, and if you want to be able to claim a Medicare rebate for seeing a psychologist, but you can make an appointment directly with a psychologist, and I think therapists are psychologists, not psychiatrists. But I wonder if it works the same way in England, or in the US?
Old 03-10-2021, 03:25 AM
Serene Highness

I've been treated for depression and anxiety myself. I got no sympathy from my employer: they even complained that I was attending medical appointments during working hours, which I didn't have much choice about - doctors and counsellors' surgeries aren't supermarkets and don't open 24 hours. So I sympathise with anyone with mental health problems. But I find it very hard to believe that anyone would say that it "wouldn't be a good look" for Meghan to get help. Who would even have known? Medical professionals are banned from revealing information about patients. Has anyone ever, ever seen a tabloid interview with a doctor or counsellor, spilling the beans about their celebrity patients?

Many famous people have chosen to speak out about their health problems, but that's been their choice. William and Harry have both spoken out about mental health problems.

Closed Thread