The Duke & Duchess of Sussex with Oprah II - Interview, March 7th-9th 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe that, but maybe he really is the most threatened member of the family due to his military work in Afghanistan against the Taliban.Corona lead to forget that the IS fighters are still in business and killing the "warrior prince", his wife or son probably is still high on their agenda, they just can't travel so anonymously anymore.

And it is a fact that Harry was more than just the "spare" but an active soldier for the British government, that he earned some of his medals in an actual war where he risked his life for the idea of democracy. (While having a police protection officer with him...)

I hate to be horrid but Harry isn't the "spare" anymore. The fact is after William, there's George, Charlotte and Louis. If anyone is a spare it's Charlotte and Louis.

Was he at risk when he fought, absolutely. But I don't think Harry gets security for life on someone else's pound because he once fought in against the Taliban. No one, absolutely no one is stopping him from paying for it for himself. The man is not broke. He inherited money from his mother, his great grandmother and apparently had money outside of that. And his father footed the bill for all of 2020. And he and Meghan are living in a $14 million dollar mansion.

There are people in this world who are legitimately broke. People who don't know how they're going to put food on the table and yes, some of those people also have legitimate security concerns. So I'm tired of hearing whining about how someone else should pay for the security of people who are legitimately wealthy. Their problem is they don't want to live an even slightly less posh lifestyle. If they did they COULD afford to pay for their security. It's time for Harry and Meghan to GROW UP and accept some responsibility for their actions!

I believe the "down to earth" Harry was simply a PR product from ELF and the palace, similar to what Mark Bolland did to Prince Charles.

yep - and what others did for Princess Diana and what they are currenlty doing for William and Kate. Everything we know of most royals is the cleverly crafted PR image. That is also true for celebrities and politicians.

I hate to be horrid but Harry isn't the "spare" anymore. The fact is after William, there's George, Charlotte and Louis. If anyone is a spare it's Charlotte and Louis.

Was he at risk when he fought, absolutely. But I don't think Harry gets security for life on someone else's pound because he once fought in against the Taliban. No one, absolutely no one is stopping him from paying for it for himself. The man is not broke. He inherited money from his mother, his great grandmother and apparently had money outside of that. And his father footed the bill for all of 2020. And he and Meghan are living in a $14 million dollar mansion.

from the bits I've gleaned H seems to be saying that he and Meg only took the Netflix deal when Charles stopped paying or stopped taking their phone calls. And they moved to LA when Canada stopped paying his security costs. so I think they DO seem to think that other people (does not really matter who!) should fund them indefinitely and its only when those people pulled the plug that they were willing to try and earn a living themselves...

Edward had issues early on. So did sophie. If harry and meghan had stuck it out they might have adjusted as well.

I do know Edward and Sophie had to give up their jobs and there was some growing pains there. But he doesn't seem to have the second son problem for being resentful that his position would lessen in life. If anything his issue was that he wanted to keep working but he gave up the production company easily as Sophie did her job and there were no grumbling interviews, no over the top behavior.

I think that there's a grain of truth in H's image.. it would be hard to put up a completely false one. He's got a bit of a core of decency, but he's not bright and he's unstable.. and I think that marriage, instead of stablising him, is making him more and more volatile and rousing up old issues with his family....

but I had a feeling with Harry a few years back, before he married, that he tried too hard to be loved.. that it mattered too much to him to be popular with the people he met through his work.. Its good to care to an extent but Harry was too desperate for admiration and validation...So perhaps over time he began to feel "I knock myself out to be liked and yet Im not liked by everyone.." or "I try really hard but my wifes not as popular as she should be and I'm sick of working away and not getting universal admiration..."

Considering that Sentebale and Invictus were created shortly after his Nazi outfit scandal and his Las Vegas pictures respectively, one has to wonder if this "Hero Harry" persona was even real.

I read some more about it and it's really a sad situation.
I would like to star by saying I really liked Meghan at the beginning, I thought she was amazing and I was waiting to see the amazing things they would have done and I hope they will manage to be happy with their kids and do all the good things the have the power to do.
For what concern the racist remark, I actually think it likely happened in a way or another, maybe due to ignorance or insensitivity. Western society is inherently racist and even though is changing I'm afraid it will be still a long process so I have no doubt many people, especially in the upper class, may say certain things without realizing the consequences and how wrong and hurtful it may be (Harry himself is an example of that). I want to point out I don't think that's a justification.
But by being so vague and contradictory they (she?) knew full well that now everyone from Charles to Princess Michael will be deemed a terrible person.
I hope such a thing will be investigated.
For what concern the mental health remarks, again I'm no one to diminish her struggle and understand that maybe she was not in her right mind on how to ask for help but Harry make me roll my eyes. He is a full grown adult, I can understand the shame, I really do, but you are not a child Harry, you could help your wife without having to ask dad.
I do agree with the TV doctor saying that now they are probably closed in their own beliefs and they reason "you are all with me or you are my enemy". I hope they receive help and have a strong support system (I have my doubt but let's hope).
For the money complaint, I really cannot feel sympathy. Harry has (had?) a lot of money to allow a more than comfortable life and Meghan is (was?) also quite wealthy so either they start to live more modestly or they get a job.
They really expected Charles to finance them for life? Do they really expected the half in half out to work? They wanted the best of both worlds?
I can understand the concern about security because white supremacy is sadly a thing but I think that the palace thought process was "Archie will be protected by his parents' and the family's protection system and then we'll see" And at this point either Harry would have paid or if there were serious threat I can see Charles paying or even still the crown due to high risk level.
The title thing is actually so obviously misleading that made me cringe but I have to give it to Meghan, she is very good with words. Either being very direct or creating a salad full of holes but giving people hints on how to fill them to fit her idea.
Another thing that let me shocked is how naive they both seemed. They are both almost 40 and yet is all a "we weren't told". Harry lived his entire life within the monarchy, I cannot think him so ignorant on certain things and Meghan presented herself as this very smart, accomplished and strong woman so I really cannot think she didn't do her homeworks. I think they thought they should be treated like W&K but without the responsibility of W&K, I don't know if Meghan believed she could shape the monarchy to herself but surely they think they could play by their own rules.
In conclusion, it is definitely an interview tailored for the American public.
It's sad that they burned bridges like this, I hope they still have Doria and good friends and they are able to find their peace and happiness with Archie and their baby girl.

Harry said that he only made the Netflix and Spotify deals because Charles cut him off. So if making those types of deals wasn't his plan, what was his plan? How else did he think he could make enough money to be financially independent in the style to which he wanted to live.

This whole Netflix revelation is what makes me think that neither Harry or Meghan thought things through very well. Sure, they made the million dollar contract with Netflix but that million wasn't intended to be free and clear income for the Sussexes to live on. It was paid to the couple with the understanding that they'd deliver something for it. Maybe my thinking is wrong but with that contract, isn't it up to Harry and Meghan now to produce something with that million? People don't work on putting a production into being a reality for free.

It was my understanding that a lot of what they were planning on promoting centered around mental health. After that interview, it's apparent that neither Harry or Meghan are in any position to proselytize on mental health and how to attain it, gain professional help and recognize it as a problem when they've bared to the world the mess their own mental states are/were in.

They had no Plan B to back up being financially independent. I don't believe they have any inkling of a Plan B now. You have to spend money to make money especially if you're going the philanthropic route. Meghan, herself, stated (IIRC) that it was her funds from her acting career that allowed her to branch into "giving back".

One thing I know is that Charles floated the bill for their lifestyle as working senior royals. They *were* appreciated but they were never, ever going to reach the pinnacle of importance that surrounded William and his family. Each year, for Charles' annual financial report, it's listed how much he pays out for the work his family does. It's listed as a business expense and is tax deductible unlike his personal expenditures which he pays income tax on. So floating Harry and Meghan as non-working senior royals would move Charles' payments from business expenses to personal expenses. He couldn't "claim" them any longer as a business expense. I'm not surprised that Charles decided to stop the money flow to Harry and Meghan. They wanted to be on their own and that's exactly what they got.

I expect to see Archewell stalled or moving very slowly from here on out as they try to figure out how exactly they're going to finance it. Appearing on talk shows is a possibility but the more they do something like that, the less credible they're going to become as a force to "do good". They'll come across as desperately trying to keep their own lives afloat in a cutthroat world.

It's a dog eat dog world and they've been handed Milk Bone underwear. :D

I wonder if they regret it? Harry gave that non confrontational interview with James after the oprah interview and they had oprah say that the queen and phillip didn't make the controversial statement. It implies to me harry knew he went too far.
I would be surprised if Harry doesn't regret it, or at least feel it went too far. He certainly looked miserable, and seemed agitated by certain questions when he realized they had come up with Meghan (the race conversation(s) in particular).

Even before it aired, I didn't understand why Meghan had half the airtime entirely by herself. It's his family they walked away from and so many people already blame her for the couple leaving, so just for optics I think if he was fully onboard then he should have been sitting there with her the entire time to lend credence and support to what she was saying.

I would be surprised if Harry doesn't regret it, or at least feel it went too far. He certainly looked miserable, and seemed agitated by certain questions when he realized they had come up with Meghan (the race conversation(s) in particular).

Even before it aired, I didn't understand why Meghan had half the airtime entirely by herself. It's his family they walked away from and so many people already blame her for the couple leaving, so just for optics I think if he was fully onboard then he should have been sitting there with her the entire time to lend credence and support to what she was saying.

he may well be embarrassed because he knows that a lot of what was said was far from 100% true. And how does it gibe with the Corden interview where he's saying "the queen gave Archie a waffle iron" and implying that he loves and is close to his family...if he's now saying his family are cold, unfair, racist, not taking his phone calls, that they re all "trapped" in their roles etc.

Well, I think H &M has cemented their future in terms of tv gigs and the like.

No matter what BP say, nothing excuses racism. I can well imagine a remark like that been said, probably without the realisation that it is racist. It still doesn’t excuse it.

So this will run and run with the hunt for who it is. l can’t imagine them even visiting the UK again. Its a terrible way to get back at your family so publicly.

he may well be embarrassed because he knows that a lot of what was said was far from 100% true. And how does it gibe with the Corden interview where he's saying "the queen gave Archie a waffle iron" and implying that he loves and is close to his family...
He repeated that he loves his family and also that he's close to The Queen.

if he's now saying his family are cold, unfair, racist, not taking his phone calls, that they re all "trapped" in their roles etc.
You're putting words into his mouth. He didn't say all those things about "his family". They were specifics about some individuals.

Last edited by a moderator:
What they did and accused and implied is the exact opposite of loving your family. Unless your idea of love is seriously abusive and warped. Normal people don’t throw your elderly sick grandparents and father under a bus much less let their spouse.

Considering that Sentebale and Invictus were created shortly after his Nazi outfit scandal and his Las Vegas pictures respectively, one has to wonder if this "Hero Harry" persona was even real.

Of course "Hero Harry" isn't real but he didn't create that persona did he. He's a complex mix of faults and virtues as we all are and if you listen to what he says and observe what he does, you see something of the genuine person rather than the caricature created by the press, which puts people on a pedestal to be worshipped and then knocks them down to be vilified.

I don't know if anyone before said that but I just want to add it's really unfair when they bring in the conversation those who cannot answer in a similar way. Kate just won't tell her side of the story. Charles will keep his mouth shut as hes supposed to, too. The palace may issue a statement but that will be all. The Windsors can feel betrayed now. Before it was just a hard to cope with life choice of Harry and Meghan, now it's much more. A family should deal with internal problems on its own. And if anything criminal happened, there are procedures.
I wonder why did they do this interview? They don't need to explain themselves. I thought they wanted to have a normal, private life.
To expose racism in the UK, the brutality of the media or that the Firm is really a corporation with all corporate abusive characteristics? We already know this!
It seems to me like just another part of the show. Preview of the whole new season, the US edition.

You're putting words into his mouth. He didn't say all those things about "his family". They were specifics about some individuals.

If you love your family and you're close to them you don't go on tv and have this kind of interview about them. I'm sorry, but this is very much a case of actions speaking louder than words.

Yes but those individuals are his family.

Of course "Hero Harry" isn't real but he didn't create that persona did he. He's a complex mix of faults and virtues as we all are and if you listen to what he says and observe what he does, you see something of the genuine person rather than the caricature created by the press, which puts people on a pedestal to be worshipped and then knocks them down to be vilified.

I agree with the first part of your statement. Harry has always been the royal that most people can imagine having a beer with. I think he is genuine and really cares passionately about his causes.

However, it is not the press which is knocking people down to be vilified in this case.

If you love your family and you're close to them you don't go on tv and have this kind of interview about them. I'm sorry, but this is very much a case of actions speaking louder than words.

I've said before the interview that I didn't think they should be doing it and I haven't been reluctant to criticise some of their actions but I will respond with facts if people put statements into their mouths that don't match what was actually said.

Sure, they made the million dollar contract with Netflix but that million wasn't intended to be free and clear income for the Sussexes to live on. It was paid :

100 Million. More than enough to pay for their own security for the rest of their lives.

You can love your family and do things that really hurt them - I know I have. Harry and Meghan are obviously very unhappy and bitter. They truly believe that they have been wronged by his family and went on the attack. The problem is where to go from here because I do think that Harry loves his family but he has to understand that his family now feels that they have been wronged by Harry and Meghan.

I truly hope that the family can mend. As a mother, I believe that Charles in particular will forgive Harry - it might take some time. But it will happen, if it already hasn't. That doesn't mean the family is not angry or that they will fully trust them again. In fact, I think the family would be wise to be very careful about their communications with the couple.

100 Million. More than enough to pay for their own security for the rest of their lives.

My mistake. I hope that they can come up with something for Netflix that is actually going to work in their favor. I do believe that people would have paid more attention to their work if they had refrained from doing that interview. ?

I am sorry but that statement was... interesting. Clearly not as clear cut as some think. I rather that not had said anything because wow.

To mention race but not the mental health aspect? The silence is deafening.

Do you guys remember Harry's swastika armband?

I am sorry but that statement was... interesting. Clearly not as clear cut as some think. I rather that not had said anything because wow.

To mention race but not the mental health aspect? The silence is deafening.

The statement says "recollections may vary" which to me means they think some of what Megs and Haz said is bullshit. And for all we know, that includes the "no one listened to my mental health problems" accusations.

Last edited:

I get the feeling it’s Harry that is at the heart of stirring up the hornets nest about the alleged racist remark. Meghan was very confident in discussing a comment, (which she described as multiple conversations), that she heard about second hand. With Meghan talking about it to Oprah and the public this is now a conversation we’re hearing about third hand. My main question is still whether Harry interpreted the remark correctly and then described it accurately to Meghan. Whatever he said to her, she took it and ran with it.

And again, by their own admission, neither of them ever addressed the issue with the person in question. Why not? I truly can’t think of a legitimate reason to not have a private discussion with their family member but instead decide to make vague accusations in public several years later.

That was short, to the point and I think fairly generous.

Basically, all that was said was they've heard what Harry and Meghan have had to say. They're saddened to hear what they had to say but aren't going to feed into the accusations and play ping pong. The ball was lobbed across the table and allowed to fall to the floor. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom