The Duke & Duchess of Sussex with Oprah II - Interview, March 7th-9th 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree, What DID he think he was going to do for the rest of his life, if he only did the Netflix deals when Charles cut off funding? THey said they wanted to leave to have a professional income. Did they not intend then to do some kind of work to earn that income? Or did they think that Dad and the British Tax payer would fund them forever, paying his security and paying him and Meghan an income for life??
or is all this a farrago of lies and misinformation?
Meghan should know that Arch would not be a Prince or HRH until Charles became king and that security has nothing to do with his race or with his having a title.. as a child he would share in their security as long as they were wroking royals.. but when he grew up, or went to school its possible that she and H would have to pay for the security.. but it has nothing to do iwht his racial origin or his having a title or not. Did she really not understand that?? Or does she understand perfectly well but is saying this to make the RF look bad and relying on the fact that the American public wont know the finer points?

I think Harry sincerely thought Charles and then William would pay for his family forever. I don't think it sunk in for him when he walked away that was it. I don't know what Andrew's financial situation is but I suspect that's where Harry's mind went. Because that's the second son he has reference to but of course Harry wouldn't have all the scandal so he'd be better off than Andrew. I just don't think he thought he family were serious about the slimmed down monarchy and that if he said he wanted to be financially independent he would actually have to be that.

As for Meghan I think she understands everything perfectly well with a couple of exceptions. 1. I think she thought she could make herself as important as Kate. 2. I think she thought she could pressure the monarchy into changing into giving her that equal position. When she's found out she couldn't she got out of the whole thing.

Instead she's chosen to make herself popular in America, there's a reason most of the interview was with her. There's a reason for the word salad. There's a reason for her tying Archie's race to his security and lack of a title and it's because those issues are such hot topics right now in the US. She knows she's lost in the UK. She's not popular there, and even Harry's popularity has taken a huge hit the last few years and I think this interview is going to make them even less so.

I think she's always wanted celebrity and now they have the added pressure of needing to be popular because they have to make their image sell. So she picked topics that were hot button issues in the US, race and mental health and lean into them. She also leaned into the US's general anti-monarchy feelings, calling the family "the Institution". I also think this is why the subtle allusions to Diana were brought in. Diana is still wildly popular in the US. I think the whole interview was a US marketing ploy for Meghan and she played it pretty darn well.

Meghan mentioned that she emailed them, so she probably still has the emails.

if that's the case then she can prove by showing the emails whom she asked and what they siad in reply. SO why not name names?

I think Harry sincerely thought Charles and then William would pay for his family forever. I don't think it sunk in for him when he walked away that was it. I don't know what Andrew's financial situation is but I suspect that's where Harry's mind went. Because that's the second son he has reference to but of course Harry wouldn't have all the scandal so he'd be better off than Andrew. I just don't think he thought he family were serious about the slimmed down monarchy and that if he said he wanted to be financially independent he would actually have to b/QUOTE]

What on earth does harry think "financially independent" and "making a professional income " MEAN? Surely he realized that if he wanted these 2 things he would have to work for the money.. that the RF wasn't going to fund him forever, and that the tax payer wasn't going to fund him at all.
As for the slimmed down monarchy, Harry and Meg were meant to be part of it.. but it DID mean that his children would probably NOT be part of it and neither would Will's younger children.
It kind of reveals I think that the sudden dash to the US in March last year, was because they had suddenly realised that the Can Govt weren't going to help out any more and they had to dash off and find a freebie house for a bit and then, when Charles probably finally pulled the plug, they had to find some deal that would bring in money...

Children of a former President get protection until they are 16 years old.
And according to this Washington Post story, President Trump extended Secret Service protection to his adult children and their spouses after he left office.

In the days before he left office, President Donald Trump instructed that his family get the best security available in the world for the next six months, at no cost — the protection of the U.S. Secret Service.

According to three people briefed on the plan, Trump issued a directive to extend post-presidency Secret Service protection to his four adult children and two of their spouses, who were not automatically entitled to receive it.

Trump also directed that three key officials leaving government continue to receive the protection for six months: former treasury secretary Steven Mnuchin, former chief of staff Mark Meadows and former national security adviser Robert C. O’Brien, two people familiar with the arrangement said.

Under federal law, Trump, his wife, Melania Trump, and their 14-year-old son are the only members of his immediate family entitled to Secret Service protection after they leave office. The couple will receive it for their lifetimes, and Barron is entitled to protection until he turns 16.

Trump wanted every family member who had been protected by the Secret Service during his administration to be covered for six additional months, according to the people familiar with his directive, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to describe security arrangements.

That means the expensive, taxpayer-funded security will continue for daughter Ivanka Trump and her husband, Jared Kushner; son Donald Trump Jr.; son Eric Trump and his wife, Lara Trump; and daughter Tiffany Trump.

The 24-hour protection will focus on Trump’s grown children, although his grandchildren will receive protection that derives from being in proximity to their parents.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...ef3e9e-5b3c-11eb-b8bd-ee36b1cd18bf_story.html

Yes, Trump did do this and A LOT of people are super pissed about it. Including most people on the left. It was a MASSIVE thing for days on Twitter. I'm pretty lefty and everyone I knew was saying was a HUGE overstep this was for Trump because it was so unprecedented. Which is why I now find it so funny that so many of these people are now screaming that Harry's family should have his security paid for not by his dad but by the Queen. Ugh hypocrisy drives me nuts.

I think Harry sincerely thought Charles and then William would pay for his family forever. I don't think it sunk in for him when he walked away that was it. I don't know what Andrew's financial situation is but I suspect that's where Harry's mind went. Because that's the second son he has reference to but of course Harry wouldn't have all the scandal so he'd be better off than Andrew. I just don't think he thought he family were serious about the slimmed down monarchy and that if he said he wanted to be financially independent he would actually have to be that.

As for Meghan I think she understands everything perfectly well with a couple of exceptions. 1. I think she thought she could make herself as important as Kate. 2. I think she thought she could pressure the monarchy into changing into giving her that equal position. When she's found out she couldn't she got out of the whole thing.

Instead she's chosen to make herself popular in America, there's a reason most of the interview was with her. There's a reason for the word salad. There's a reason for her tying Archie's race to his security and lack of a title and it's because those issues are such hot topics right now in the US. She knows she's lost in the UK. She's not popular there, and even Harry's popularity has taken a huge hit the last few years and I think this interview is going to make them even less so.

I think she's always wanted celebrity and now they have the added pressure of needing to be popular because they have to make their image sell. So she picked topics that were hot button issues in the US, race and mental health and lean into them. She also leaned into the US's general anti-monarchy feelings, calling the family "the Institution". I also think this is why the subtle allusions to Diana were brought in. Diana is still wildly popular in the US. I think the whole interview was a US marketing ploy for Meghan and she played it pretty darn well.

IMHO this is probably a very succinct summary of the truth of the matter.

I wonder if they regret it? Harry gave that non confrontational interview with James after the oprah interview and they had oprah say that the queen and phillip didn't make the controversial statement. It implies to me harry knew he went too far.

Harry seems to have also suffered from depression at that time, it was even noted as late as October 2019 while on the Africa tour.

Perhaps he too was floundering for a while, not knowing what to do for the best, or who to contact without the vile tabloids getting hold of it. And I can imagine the meal they all would have made of that bit of news.
I think you are right about this. When I was watching the film about the Africa tour, I noticed that Harry looked exhausted and distracted. Near the end, before they were interviewed by Tom Bradby, Meghan was on a stage about two feet high. Harry came towards her and it looked like he didn't even have the strength to hop on the stage with her. Meghan reached out to him and pulled him on the stage with her. After that, he spoke to Tom Bradby. It was then that I realized what was going on with Harry.

Looking for clarification and thoughts on two things. First, Meghan said that she was up in the middle of the night googling the British National Anthem. Given that she lived in Canada for seven years as an adult working there, would she not have been exposed to that anthem many times? I'm not sure about the answer to this, would love to hear from some Canadians.
Also, she said her passport was taken away, but I recall her going to New York, on her own, for a fairly lavish baby shower. Is it possible royals don't actually need passports, or how would that work? Thanks.

How long was she living in Britain at the time? She must have heard numerous time by then

I wonder if they regret it? Harry gave that non confrontational interview with James after the oprah interview and they had oprah say that the queen and phillip didn't make the controversial statement. It implies to me harry knew he went too far.
I'd like to believe that, but Harry seems out of control and one has the feeling that he doesn't know what he's saying any more. Perhaps in occasional moments he realises that his and M's speeches ARE going to be the final straw and alienate him for mahy years to come, from his birth family.. and I think he may worry about that....

its very interesting... I think that Harry may have jibbed at selling toasters on the shopping channel.. (he was born a prince after all)...
but he believed that Dad would supply money, eternally.. that the tax payer would pay security.. Tthey would do an odd public appearance for money.. and would pop up now and again making a donation to charity or putting in a day at a homeless shelter.. and that they'd still (when Covid was over,) pop over to UK and do an odd royal event or charity event there.. just to keep their names alive...
AND of course they would do their little pod casts telling people to vote and commuting on American and Commonwealth politics...and Meghan will do the odd narrating a documentary job for money. but It seems like full time money earning wasn't really their plan...

Add in Prince/Princess titles for their children from the moment they were born and I think what you described is exactly what the plan was, 100%.

Children of a former President get protection until they are 16 years old.
And according to this Washington Post story, President Trump extended Secret Service protection to his adult children and their spouses after he left office.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...ef3e9e-5b3c-11eb-b8bd-ee36b1cd18bf_story.html

Interesting. You are correct on children of former presidents under the age of 16. However, notwithstanding the Washington Post article, Federal law (3 USC Section 102 note), limits expenses for security and travel related expenses to the former president and spouse.
Edited for space.

Last edited:
Also vague. She's pointing fingers but not making specific accusations, and it makes it harder to refute her.

You’re right. Meghan threw a lot of nasty comments and insinuations out there without being specific. Makes it hard to refute and allows her to keep playing the victim. That’s a role she’s good at. I thought “strong, independent” women didn’t do that.....

The supposed racist incident was the exact same thing. Intended to do maximum damage, but being deliberately vague under the pretext of being “nice” enough not to call said person out by name. Well done, Meghan. Well done. I understand. (That’s setting aside the fact Harry and/or Meghan lied about it. And they did lie. On purpose, not remembering correctly, whatever. But lied just the same. They couldn’t agree on when or how many times.)

I wonder if harry thought quitting the way he did would force the family to give him what he wanted and he became angry when they didn't take the bait.

I think so. I thought part of the point of the website was to force the BRF’s hand to give them exactly what they wanted. It’s partly why they announced something as a done deal that wasn’t.

I think you are right about this. When I was watching the film about the Africa tour, I noticed that Harry looked exhausted and distracted. Near the end, before they were interviewed by Tom Bradby, Meghan was on a stage about two feet high. Harry came towards her and it looked like he didn't even have the strength to hop on the stage with her. Meghan reached out to him and pulled him on the stage with her. After that, he spoke to Tom Bradby. It was then that I realized what was going on with Harry.

I'm sure that the situation was very difficult for both of them. These foreign tours are a lot more exhausting than they look. It would have been very hard on Harry to see Meghan so depressed and stressed. But that doesn't relieve him of the basic responsibility to his family. if they can figure out how to talk to a reporter, they can figure out how to talk to a physician. I assume that Meghan was seeing her doctor regularly so I am not sure why this didn't come up during appointments.

If Harry was too ashamed to ask the family for help, there is not much the family can do about it. I'd be even more sympathetic if they had used the interview to acknowledge that even he had trouble asking for help rather than lashing out at his employees and family.

People have to want help and accept the most effective help available. As I posted before, people all over the world, with fewer resources than Harry and Meghan, manage to find help. Sadly too many don't. It's a real crisis.

Meghan mentioned that she emailed them, so she probably still has the emails.

okay - what ? Is that mentioned in the interview - can you give me the time stamp. That is interesting. There was a court case in the US. People who email mental concerns to their employers - they are doing it for a paper trail. It was a fraud - they were doing it to sue later. A doctor pointed out people that people that are suicidal will write or talk, they will rarely email. Even in today times - they will rather leave notes on voice mail about bad news then place it in an email - it is human nature. Unless you have alterative motives - like setting up a systematic pattern of neglect and irresponsibility.

I think Harry sincerely thought Charles and then William would pay for his family forever. I don't think it sunk in for him when he walked away that was it. I don't know what Andrew's financial situation is but I suspect that's where Harry's mind went. Because that's the second son he has reference to but of course Harry wouldn't have all the scandal so he'd be better off than Andrew. I just don't think he thought he family were serious about the slimmed down monarchy and that if he said he wanted to be financially independent he would actually have to b/QUOTE]

What on earth does harry think "financially independent" and "making a professional income " MEAN? Surely he realized that if he wanted these 2 things he would have to work for the money.. that the RF wasn't going to fund him forever, and that the tax payer wasn't going to fund him at all.
As for the slimmed down monarchy, Harry and Meg were meant to be part of it.. but it DID mean that his children would probably NOT be part of it and neither would Will's younger children.
It kind of reveals I think that the sudden dash to the US in March last year, was because they had suddenly realised that the Can Govt weren't going to help out any more and they had to dash off and find a freebie house for a bit and then, when Charles probably finally pulled the plug, they had to find some deal that would bring in money...

I don't know if Harry really knows what he's doing anymore. I have the sneaking suspicion the slimmed down monarchy sounded fine to him in theory until Archie was born. Then my guess is talk became real. There might have been a conversation about the fact that Archie wouldn't have security past a certain point in his life unless Harry and Meghan paid for it themselves. That his father and mother would be expected to provide for him fully themselves, ie granddad would not pay for him to attend Eton.

There has to be a point where no matter how much you claim you're trapped you realize you're not the spare anymore. There's actually a decent line of people between you and the throne and all your privileges are going to slip away. That your children will never have the same level of privilege you did. So perhaps Harry just panicked a bit. Maybe it all became a bit to real and it was almost a case of "I'll quit before I'm fired" but without any real plan in place.

And since Meghan clearly wasn't getting what she wanted out of the royal side of things perhaps they just goaded one another on. However, I don't think for one single moment it ever crossed either of their minds Charles would financially cut them off.

Regarding money, Harry said himself that he'd inherited money from Diana. Diana got a very substantial divorce settlement, and is also known to have inherited a considerable amount of money from her wealthy grandmother. He's hardly scratching around for a few pence to put in the gas meter. He's probably far wealthier than any of the Queen's younger children are ever likely to be.

I've no idea what's going on in Harry's head. He's said on international TV that his dad stopped taking his phone calls. His wife's had a go at their sister-in-law. He's accused the entire Royal Family of failing to support them, and let them all fall under suspicion of racism. He's let people think that his grandmother, who loves Archie, who's devoted her entire life to the multi-racial Commonwealth, denied Archie the title of prince because of racism.

With Diana, I think that, even though most people now agree that the Panorama interview as a mistake, people felt that "hell hath no fury like a woman scorned", and that she was hitting out because she felt that Charles hadn't tried to make their marriage work, and people can understand that, but I think people are struggling to understand why Harry's done this.

The Netflix deal revelation impressed me very much, but alas, the wrong way. I was never a great believer in their producing abilities and I was a little sceptical about the devotion behind their flowery words. Looks like I was right to be sceptical. They only had their belief that they would do a good job for the world that kept them to some extent in my good books, as preaching and irritating as it was. Now, it's clear that their desire to do good was only sparkled when it dawned upon them that they'd really have to be independent and Charles won't foot the bill indefinitely. I have less wish than ever to see the things they want to "share" with us since this burning desire to spread their good in the world seems to only have appeared after they discovered how expensive life was without Charles' purse.

Harry was born to this position? He inherited the risk? Why, he inherited some incredible perks with it. As I understand it, it was never meant to cover his expenses in a life at a place like California. If he had trouble understanding it, he only needed to remember the clamour around Eugenie's gap year. Of course, I see him as self-important enough to not really take notice of the changes around other people, including the cousin he is supposedly so close to.

Last edited:
if that's the case then she can prove by showing the emails whom she asked and what they siad in reply. SO why not name names?

She will, when the Palace announces that they will be doing an investigation. As I am sure they will be announcing soon, similar to their investigation into why the bullying charges weren't addressed. However, we won't see the final reports of those investigations.

Or, maybe there will be a leak to the Press, similar to the leak of Jason Knauf's name and the bullying investigation. That could happen, right? :lol:

It can be viewed here:

The doctor makes real good statements that explain why Meghan (and Harry) did not take on any help with their depression. The worst for me was that they feared the didgnosis would become public information leading the media into a new, negative frenzy. I can imagine how captured they felt in their gilded cage when they couldn't even be sure that their call for help to a doctor would stay confidental.

It would be okay to tell that, IMHO. But I think we never learned of the real reasons of their struggle with Prince Charles and thus it is diffuclt to put that into perspective. Harry is very angry with his father and the way he feels reduced to a second class-family member. IMHO he still suffers from what he saw in Afghanistan, so getting protection for his family is an extremely important point for him. Meghan and their son being POCs makes them even more endangered. We don't know what Harry took with him in beliefs what really happened to his mother, but he surely saw what the British state is able to do in war times. Meghan maybe saw "On her Majesty's Secret Service" or any of all the other movies dealing with MI5 or 6 (or whatever) and both might have really felt threatened for their life. And Diana died because she did not have police protection, we shouldn't forget that, as noone checked to see if she was securely belted into the car on her last travel.

IMHO both suffer from tough cases of anxiety. Maybe telling the world at the cost of their bonds to Harry's family was a cry out to the world about how they feel. I am just sorry that the world will not give them what they need. Only they themselves can give them their inner peace back and I hope they take the time and medical help to reach that.

Regarding money, Harry said himself that he'd inherited money from Diana. Diana got a very substantial divorce settlement, and is also known to have inherited a considerable amount of money from her wealthy grandmother. He's hardly scratching around for a few pence to put in the gas meter. He's probably far wealthier than any of the Queen's younger children are ever likely to be.

Agreed and he also seemed to be under the impression that although he had this money, he shouldn't have to pay his own expenses. The very definition of wanting to have your cake and eat it too.

Real talk, if even most of these suppositions are true How in world did he get so spoiled and entitled and out of touch with reality? None of the other Great Grandchildren behave like this .

IMHO this is probably a very succinct summary of the truth of the matter.

Agreed. It was all very well stated.

The subject matter- race, mental health in particular- were designed for maximum effect with the American audience. Oprah was surprised Meghan went there with race. I’m not. Of course, she did.

This was all very strategic.

One of the reasons I’m not really inclined to sympathize with them about anything is because they so pointedly wanted to play the victim, wanted sympathy, wanted to throw the BRF under the bus.

And of course- in the end- they want money.

I don't know if Harry really knows what he's doing anymore. I have the sneaking suspicion the slimmed down monarchy sounded fine to him in theory until Archie was born. Then my guess is talk became real. There might have been a conversation about the fact that Archie wouldn't have security past a certain point in his life unless Harry and Meghan paid for it themselves. That his father and mother would be expected to provide for him fully themselves, ie granddad would not pay for him to attend Eton.

There has to be a point where no matter how much you claim you're trapped you realize you're not the spare anymore. There's actually a decent line of people between you and the throne and all your privileges are going to slip away. That your children will never have the same level of privilege you did. So perhaps Harry just panicked a bit. Maybe it all became a bit to real and it was almost a case of "I'll quit before I'm fired" but without any real plan in place.

And since Meghan clearly wasn't getting what she wanted out of the royal side of things perhaps they just goaded one another on. However, I don't think for one single moment it ever crossed either of their minds Charles would financially cut them off.

I am not too certain - Harry was well aware that he was part of Charles slimmed down plan. They were informed - they know who was in and who was out. I think it has more to do with the role they were to play in that slim downed monarchy. It is one thing to say were chopping off these royals - another thing to realize that with them gone you are essentially doing their role. I really think he saw the life of the lower royals as demeaning and unglamorous.

Richard Kay today in the Daily Mail calling on H&M's HRH to be removed.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-Meghans-interview-winners-hate-monarchy.html

Frankly it amuses me that some serious people in Britain actually believe the Sussex situation may affect the diplomatic relationship between the US and the UK. I suppse they overestimate the importance that the US public, much less the US government, attach to royalty news, which is mostly seen just as celebrity gossip on the other side of Atlantic.

Thank you for posting. It is striking to read Richard Kay write something somewhat sympathetic to Charles.

I agree with Mr Kay they should no longer have HRH's it is frankly amusing to me that in America where the institution of monarchy is not understood at all and if it is it is seen as the celebrity that is so craved there... there appears to no questions asked ... what part did these 2 play in this ... because there are always 3 sides to any story your, mine and the truth and I do not believe 50v% of what these 2 have to say not at all

Last edited:
Real talk, if even most of these suppositions are true How in world did he get so spoiled and entitled and out of touch with reality? None of the other Great Grandchildren behave like this .

That's an interesting question especially since he was supposed to be the most "down to earth" of them all.

I've suspected that when I saw her black eyeliner which was very similar to the one Diana had on Panorama, Meghan KNEW what she was doing.

She will, when the Palace announces that they will be doing an investigation. As I am sure they will be announcing soon, similar to their investigation into why the bullying charges weren't addressed. However, we won't see the final reports of those investigations.

Or, maybe there will be a leak to the Press, similar to the leak of Jason Knauf's name and the bullying investigation. That could happen, right? :lol:

I'm sure there will be leaks but if Harry and Meghan can discuss their truth, the focus of the investigations should be able to reveal theirs, and leaks may be the only way they can do so. It's not like they can take a basket of muffins to Oprah's home and get on an international broadcast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom