The Duke & Duchess of Sussex with Oprah II - Interview, March 7th-9th 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
She claimed that she had to "turn in" her keys. It wasn't clear whether she meant house keys, car keys or both, but she was making it sound like a prison. Are we supposed to believe that every time an adult member of the Royal Family wants to leave the building, they have to ask an aide to give them their keys?

A lot of people keep their passport in a locked safe, so that it doesn't get lost and it's difficult to find in case of a break-in. She possibly did give hers to an aide for safekeeping, but that doesn't mean that she wasn't allowed to have it back!

Meghan's most damaging personal accusation is that she was potentially suicidal and the Palace was unresponsive or uncooperative when she sought help. The curious part is, however, that she apparently said she didn't seek help from her husband and didn't talk about her mental health issues with other family members. Instead she contacted the HR department, which allegedly said they could not help her because she was not an employee of the Royal Household.

Isn't that the same HR department that is now investigating the bullying accusations involving the Duchess and her former staff? The accusation is very serious and needs further investigation. It is also baffling that Harry didn't offer her help given his own history of having sought help from mental health professionals and his involment with mental health initiatives.

Re: the security - I hadn't really considered this fully before but given the risk level to H&M and Archie, I think they should have their security covered. It's not the same situation as others in the BRF who don't have 24/7 security because those others don't have the same high risk, which has been confirmed remains the same for H&M as when they were here. Given that Harry has stepped back and removed his family from the UK, it wouldn't be acceptable for the British tax-payer to fund it but the Queen (and the next monarch) can easily afford to fund it so they should and not be afraid of what the press might say about that.

They can't have publicly funded British security living full-time in California, can they? Or should Metropolitan Police Officers move to the USA to be with the Sussexes 24/7 ? When they were in Canada still as official working members of the RF, they were entitled to security provided by the RCMP (the Canadian federal police), but that changed with their change of status. I assume that applies also in the UK as there are actually clear rules about who is entitled to PPO protection and who is not.

Whether Prince Charles should agree to pay for their security with his own private funds or not is obviously a different matter, but I sympathize with other posters who said that asking for the PoW to pay for their private security is at odds with the couple's claim that they wanted to be financially independent. Anyway, they have now made lucrative deals with Netflix and Spotify which I assume allow them to afford private security.

Last edited:
The British National Anthem is "God Save the Queen", the Canadian is "O Canada". I'm from Australia and we have 'Advance Australia Fair". Like most Canadians and Australian, most do not know the British National Anthem.

The passport question is interesting - because she travelled to New York twice - once for her baby shower and the second for Serena Williams US Open Finals

Australians over a certain age know "God Save the Queen" very well as it was our National Anthem until 1984. When I was a child it was played in the cinema before the movies started and we all stood up for it. :D We stood up a lot for "God Save the Queen", and we also sang the second verse about "choicest gifts" though I don't recall being taught the others even though I did eventually find out about them.

I was a monarchist in my early adulthood and was cheesed off when the Labor Government changed our anthem and every time I had to sing it I would sing the second verse instead:

"When gallant Cook from Albion sail'd,
To trace wide oceans o'er,
True British courage bore him on,
Til he landed on our shore.
Then here he raised Old England's flag,
The standard of the brave;
"With all her faults we love her still"
"Britannia rules the wave."
In joyful strains then let us sing,
Advance, Australia fair."

I have a feeling - and it's only a feeling - that her passport and keys symbolised her identity and freedom. After marrying in she was probably issued with some sort of diplomatic passport she used for travel and a special driving licence.

It is actually right - if you became president as well. Passport, bank cards, wallet all are locked up. So I think you have it on the mark there - however it is now been used as a removal of personal sovereignty and independence.
I think we need to ask Biden if he feels he is imprisoned. Any elected leader would be the same - are we holding everyone prisoner?

Meghan's most damaging personal accusation is that she was potentially suicidal and the Palace was unresponsive or uncooperative when she sought help. The curious part is, however, that she apparently said she didn't seek help from her husband and didn't talk about her mental health issues with other family members. Instead she contacted the HR department, which allegedly said they could not help her because she was not an employee of the Royal Household.

Isn't that the same HR department that is now investigating the bullying accusations involving the Duchess and her former staff? The accusation is very serious and needs further investigation.

I don't don't really understand this - And i am not dismissing the importance of anyone feelings and sensitivities here.
But think of this clearly. If you are in any type of pain do you turn to your doctor, husband or employer. If you are having a nervous breakdown - doctor, husband or employer. If you are having suicidal throughs - doctor, husband or employer?
Maybe ai am just cynical and I would never go to my HR with anything - that is how you get fired.
But considering she had her own doctors for Archie's birth you would think she would have the ability to get a good therapist as well. And considering all of Harry's charities and links for mental health - she could have had any of these. Why go to HR? It doesn't make sense - its like the Queen calling the royal regiments vet to come look at her racing horses.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:
I think the problem with Meghan is that she tend to speak in word salad and expect everybody to magically understand her.

I think the problem with Meghan is that she tend to speak in word salad and expect everybody to magically understand her.

She does seem to ramble incoherently... and says a lot of things that dont make any sense...

I find the issue about the security rather strange.
Yes I know that Andrew pays for his and his daughters security and that P. Anne and P. Edward only get it while performing official duties. But none of them are high-risk persons, like Charles, William and Harry are.
I find it very strange that the court decided during the pregnancy that baby Sussex would not get security. In this (alone) I understand Harry being upset. This is not about hierarchy, this is about threat-level. I would think it absolutely normal for Archie to have security (as the child of a highrisk person). Once they left, yes, then it is their own problem. But at that moment, they were still going to be fulltime RF-members.

As I understand it, the Royal Family has a team of doctors. No-one would expect them to ring the local surgery to book an appointment.

Does anyone imagine that Prince Philip consulted the HR department before he was admitted to hospital with heart problems, or that Kate consulted the HR department before she was treated for hyperemesis gravidarum?

If Meghan was struggling with her mental health, surely she should have consulted a doctor. If she was unsure what to do, surely Harry should have consulted a doctor. If she didn't want the rest of the Royal Family to know, that wouldn't have been an issue. Doctors take the Hippocratic oath. They are not allowed to discuss a patient's medical issues with other people.

When you are desperately miserable and feeling suicidal you quite obviously are not thinking straight.

It might be that Meghan, finding that she suspected some staff of leaks to the tabloids, went to the HR dept to see if news of her visit to them and her obvious distress would somehow get known to the senior staff, and thus they would lay off their tittle tattling to journalists about everything and anything she did.

It would be a desperate and somewhat illogical move but maybe she was feeling that desperate and vulnerable. None of us know what her feelings were during those months.

It was obvious from what she said that Meghan was in a really dark place during her pregnancy, something surely that is deserving of sympathy.

Harry seems to have also suffered from depression at that time, it was even noted as late as October 2019 while on the Africa tour.

Perhaps he too was floundering for a while, not knowing what to do for the best, or who to contact without the vile tabloids getting hold of it. And I can imagine the meal they all would have made of that bit of news.

The two of them obviously did get help for Meghan eventually and IMO it may well have been Diana’s old friend who ultimately provided it.

Last edited:
The response from the leader of the major opposition party:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...vestigate-into-meghan-allegations-says-labour

The Labour leader, Keir Starmer [...] said it was “really sad to see the family in turmoil like this” and that it was a bigger issue in Britain than just the royal family.

Speaking during a visit to a school in Dagenham, east London, Starmer said: “The issues that Meghan has raised of racism and mental health are really serious issues. It is a reminder that too many people experience racism in 21st-century Britain. We have to take that very, very seriously.

“Nobody, but nobody, should be prejudiced [against] because of the colour of their skin or because of their mental health issues. This is bigger than the royal family. For too many years we have been too dismissive and too willing to put these issues to one side.”

The shadow education secretary, Kate Green, said Meghan’s accusations were “really distressing, shocking”.

Green told Sky News: “And if there are allegations of racism then I would expect them to be treated by the palace with the utmost seriousness, and fully investigated.”

I find the issue about the security rather strange.
Yes I know that Andrew pays for his and his daughters security and that P. Anne and P. Edward only get it while performing official duties. But none of them are high-risk persons, like Charles, William and Harry are.
I find it very strange that the court decided during the pregnancy that baby Sussex would not get security. In this (alone) I understand Harry being upset. This is not about hierarchy, this is about threat-level. I would think it absolutely normal for Archie to have security (as the child of a highrisk person). Once they left, yes, then it is their own problem. But at that moment, they were still going to be fulltime RF-members.

The Met do a threat assessment on everyone.

Archie would get security when he was a child because his parents did as working royals. I think they probably meant growing up and at school it would cease or be reconsidered. But again their narrative is murky on this.

Their other point was that Canada unsurprisingly didn't want to continue paying for their security when they lived there privately and again unsurprisingly no one wanted them being the official representatives in Canada who also earn a lot of money as they may have originally tried to be.

Charles seems to have picked up the tab for a while but then stopped doing so. That's fair enough as the Duchy isn't made of money. Theoretically if they can buy a $14 million mansion then they could afford security or to prioritise one or the other.

Just as every other famous person who's also controversial doesn't get taxpayer funded security has to.

In theory whilst a terrorist kidnapping for example Eugenie or Louise or Zara wouldn't cause a threat to the succession, it would still make a tragic, terrible point world wide and they're easier to get to - which I guess is why Andrew paid for security so whilst the threat to H&M is higher because they're high profile others are probably also vulnerable to various threats and aren't covered.

I understand them worrying about security of course but I don't think there was a "well Charles should just pay for it" easy answer.

Strictly type ratings, impressive.

Ah, from what I gathered from reading here (I didn't see the interview), I understood that they said that baby S would not get any security at all.
What you say makes much more sense.
The Met do a threat assessment on everyone.

Archie would get security when he was a child because his parents did as working royals. I think they probably meant growing up and at school it would cease or be reconsidered. But again their narrative is murky on this.

Their other point was that Canada unsurprisingly didn't want to continue paying for their security when they lived there privately and again unsurprisingly no one wanted them being the official representatives in Canada who also earn a lot of money as they may have originally tried to be.

Charles seems to have picked up the tab for a while but then stopped doing so. That's fair enough as the Duchy isn't made of money. Theoretically if they can buy a $14 million mansion then they could afford security or to prioritise one or the other.

Just as every other famous person who's also controversial doesn't get taxpayer funded security has to.

In theory whilst a terrorist kidnapping for example Eugenie or Louise or Zara wouldn't cause a threat to the succession, it would still make a tragic, terrible point world wide and they're easier to get to - which I guess is why Andrew paid for security so whilst the threat to H&M is higher because they're high profile others are probably also vulnerable to various threats and aren't covered.

I understand them worrying about security of course but I don't think there was a "well Charles should just pay for it" easy answer.

I get their security concerns but we don't know what made Charles reach potential breaking point. It's ridiculous to expect him (or the tax payer) to fund security for a mansion in California indefinitely. There were rumours that he was bankrolling everything in 2020 and Duchy money isn't unlimited.

That is correct. It was reported in January 2020 that the Prince would continue to fund the Sussexes for one year.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-family/2020/01/19/prince-charles-fund-prince-harry-meghan-year/

At the time, 67% of the public believed the Duke and Duchess should not continue to receive income from the Duchy of Cornwall and 66% believed their security should not be government funded.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politic.../01/13/brits-side-queen-over-harry-and-meghan

I wonder why no one picked up on Meghan's constant change of her personality in her interviews and outings and the very actressy-teary eyed looks on Oprah. Like you saw the pictures and you see a very confident woman and here she's so dowe-y all the time, so sad, so subtle. Not a hint of other traits of personality, she downplayed it all, her enthusiasm as well. Also she didn't say what they'd exactly do, it's almost like they have no clue.
Oprah was easy on them. They should have brought happy moments because they sure had some. It wasn't all gloomy. No harsh questions.
Also Meghan seems to be happy now while Harry is sour, angry and definitely not happy.
It's clear as well they have no idea what to do with themselves now and decided to get revenge at the Firm.

When you are desperately miserable and feeling suicidal you quite obviously are not thinking straight.

It might be that Meghan, finding that she suspected some staff of leaks to the tabloids, went to the HR dept to see if news of her visit to them and her obvious distress would somehow get known to the senior staff, and thus they would lay off their tittle tattling to journalists about everything and anything she did.

It would be a desperate and somewhat illogical move but maybe she was feeling that desperate and vulnerable. None of us know what her feelings were during those months.

It was obvious from what she said that Meghan was in a really dark place during her pregnancy, something surely that is deserving of sympathy.

Harry seems to have also suffered from depression at that time, it was even noted as late as October 2019 while on the Africa tour.

Perhaps he too was floundering for a while, not knowing what to do for the best, or who to contact without the vile tabloids getting hold of it. And I can imagine the meal they all would have made of that bit of news.

The two of them obviously did get help for Meghan eventually and IMO it may well have been Diana’s old friend who ultimately provided it.

I have empathy for everyone within the royal system. And I also have empathy for Meghan over her mental health.

But I just don't believe that she was refused help. I can well believe she was refused the type she wanted however.

As for the racist comment. Context is everything and I am no the wiser what was said seeing as it came third hand.

I wouldn't wish royal life on anyone and why then Meghan would want her children to have HRH tie is beyond me.

The interview was somewhat incoherent and actually I am as concerned about the pair of them as always.i hope they are getting help.

I dont presume to know what goes on behind anyones door but I do consider them to be pretty unstable and some of what was said is factually untrue.

As I understand it, the Royal Family has a team of doctors. No-one would expect them to ring the local surgery to book an appointment.

Does anyone imagine that Prince Philip consulted the HR department before he was admitted to hospital with heart problems, or that Kate consulted the HR department before she was treated for hyperemesis gravidarum?

If Meghan was struggling with her mental health, surely she should have consulted a doctor. If she was unsure what to do, surely Harry should have consulted a doctor. If she didn't want the rest of the Royal Family to know, that wouldn't have been an issue. Doctors take the Hippocratic oath. They are not allowed to discuss a patient's medical issues with other people.
Yes this is nonsense. She could have asked her obstetriican for advice as to how to progress with her depression... and get treatment.

Lots of drama on UK television this morning. Piers Morgan stormed off in a temper while being criticised for his obsession with Meghan. Later, Meghan's father was on and admitted he lied to her and threatened to go to the press every 30 days until she speaks to him.

Meanwhile, here's an amusing but also serious review of the Oprah interview in The Irish Times:
https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/...ors-and-the-celebrities-is-complete-1.4504502

If anybody has access watch Dr. Hillary on Good Morning Britain from this morning . He made some interesting points , I will not discuss here but worth a watch. It is only a few minutes but made me think.

Lots of drama on UK television this morning. Piers Morgan stormed off in a temper while being criticised for his obsession with Meghan. Later, Meghan's father was on and admitted he lied to her and threatened to go to the press every 30 days until she speaks to him.

Meanwhile, here's an amusing but also serious review of the Oprah interview in The Irish Times:
https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/...ors-and-the-celebrities-is-complete-1.4504502

Article is hilarious. But ai dont think Harry and Meghan will win though. I dont think anyone can really.

If anybody has access watch Dr. Hillary on Good Morning Britain from this morning . He made some interesting points , I will not discuss here but worth a watch. It is only a few minutes but made me think.
It can be viewed here:

The Times

Meghan and Harry interview: the shocking claims

It's basically just list of some points Meghan and Harry made during the interview (not fact-checking one), except for the part about crying prior to the wedding where there's additional note.
The Duchess of Cambridge made Meghan cry before the wedding
The story that she had made Kate cry days before the wedding had been a “turning point”, the duchess said. It was also not true, she said. “The narrative with Kate — which didn’t happen — was really, really difficult … I think that’s when everything changed, really.

“The reverse happened. And I don’t say that to be disparaging to anyone because it was a really hard week of the wedding. She was upset about something, but she owned it, and she apologised. She brought me flowers and a note, apologising. She did what I would do if I knew that I hurt someone, right, to just take accountability for it.”

Explaining the incident, the duchess added: “A few days before the wedding, she was upset about something … about flower girl dresses, and it made me cry, and it really hurt my feelings. I don’t think it’s fair to her to get into the details of that, because she apologised.”

Describing Kate as “a good person”, she added: “I’m not sharing that piece about Kate in any way to be disparaging to her. I think it’s really important for people to understand the truth. I would hope that she would have wanted that corrected.”

However, other accounts of the incident are at odds with Meghan’s version. The Times has been told that the Duchess of Cambridge left the bridesmaids’ dress fitting in tears. The following day she took a bunch of flowers to Nottingham Cottage, Harry and Meghan’s home at the time, as a peace offering. According to Vanity Fair in an article last summer, Kate was told in uncertain terms it was not enough. A source told The Times that Meghan slammed the door in Kate’s face.

Quite possibly their "source" is the same as the one with bullying allegation.

It was shown on Irish TV last night @ 9.30pm and is all over the media here too,I'd be interested to see the viewing figures in the Irish Republic.

I've heard and read several comments expressing disbelief about Meghan saying that when she had suicidal thoughts, she wasn't able to have help when she requested it. That's not exactly what she said. She actually said that her request to go somewhere for help was denied on the grounds that it wouldn't look good. She didn't say she was unable to see a doctor or therapist, this was a specific request for what sounds like a residential stay in a clinic. She talked of how frightening these thoughts were and that she was afraid to be left alone with them so I can understand how she might want some 24/7 treatment in a specialist environment. In order to have that, she'd have to liaise with 'the institution' as they'd be managing the security and comms. It isn't something that she could just do herself or that Harry could arrange for her privately, unlike some therapy sessions.

Well Meghan claims Kate wrote her an apology letter. No doubt she kept it. Seems Meghan kept a lot of paper trails because she likely knew she might need them.

I’m not surprised the interview was a ratings hit. People love to claim they don’t care but most the time the ones who scream the loudest are the 1st to tune in.

It’s been quite the reaction though. Very fascinating debates all over the place.

It can be viewed here:

I think that is a brilliant and true point. I need him as a GP.

Two damaged people who buik6y a wall around themselves and everything and anything anyone did was negative.

Tragedic and I do think they will continue to have problems. It is very sad.

I've heard and read several comments expressing disbelief about Meghan saying that when she had suicidal thoughts, she wasn't able to have help when she requested it. That's not exactly what she said. She actually said that her request to go somewhere for help was denied on the grounds that it wouldn't look good. She didn't say she was unable to see a doctor or therapist, this was a specific request for what sounds like a residential stay in a clinic. She talked of how frightening these thoughts were and that she was afraid to be left alone with them so I can understand how she might want some 24/7 treatment in a specialist environment. In order to have that, she'd have to liaise with 'the institution' as they'd be managing the security and comms. It isn't something that she could just do herself or that Harry could arrange for her privately, unlike some therapy sessions.

In the normal world though that is a last resort. As it should be. They could have paid for her to have a therapist 7 days a week and even hired someone as a life coach to be with her fulltime.

But I think no illicted a horrendous response to them and that is all they heard.

Thry are very damaged people. And in Harry's case the British Public who demanded things from him growing up played a part in that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom