The Duke & Duchess of Sussex with Oprah II - Interview, March 7th-9th 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So I just watched the interview- and am really confused . I thought it wouldn’t change my opinion. It did. It changed my whole view of royalty.
What shook me was the conversation about Archie’s skin color. I’d love to know who made that comment.
Through the years, I’ve known a lot of wonderful people and friends who support the British Royal Family. I know in my heart that these supporters are not racist- against anyone- black, pink, purple. So I’m confused.
I believe the Queen is not racist. I’m really confused.

Of course not every supporter of the monarchy (which is currently the majority of the UK) is racist!

The Queen herself has had 95 years in the public eye and has never proven herself to be racist. Literally yesterday she was publicly championing the work of the Commonwealth and embracing diversity and unity. The Commonwealth is majority people of colour.

Charles has never had a problem meeting people from a diverse range of backgrounds and has spoken about wanting to be "Defender of Faith" not "Defender of THE Faith".

We don't know who is supposed to have made the remark about the baby's skin tone, Meghan and Harry can't even agree on when it was said and Meghan only heard in 2nd hand anyway. We have no context for it - we don't even know if the person who said it was being malicious, ignorant, worried or curious. They've just thrown that out there and refused to comment further except to say it wasn't HM or PP. It's unfair because it's a shadow over everyone. If you really think it was malicious racism you should call it out and let the person defend themselves or acknowledge that they were ignorant and are very sorry.

There are a lot of things in this interview that are out of context and need to be/have been fact checked. Like most of the things to do with Archie have been proven incorrect.

Last edited:
So I just watched the interview- and am really confused . I thought it wouldn’t change my opinion. It did. It changed my whole view of royalty.
What shook me was the conversation about Archie’s skin color. I’d love to know who made that comment.
Through the years, I’ve known a lot of wonderful people and friends who support the British Royal Family. I know in my heart that these supporters are not racist- against anyone- black, pink, purple. So I’m confused.

As Harry has now pointed out retroactively, the Queen and Prince Philip had nothing to do with the discussion of Archie's skin colour. I still think that they should say who it was - otherwise the whole Royal Family gets blamed for it, which I don't think is fair.

Finished watching it and well...meh.

I mean the racism claim is the big one. And will need to be dealt with. But the rest...even the suicidal claims...she would have been offered help. I don't believe she was denied any help.

The obsession with the title and security too was a little odd and they contradicted eachother.

How can there possibly be any diplomatic fallout? Are we supposed to see Boris Johnson expressing an opinion on Juan Carlos's tax affairs, or Vladimir Putin saying that he doesn't think Willem-Alexander and Maxima should have gone to Greece?

Meghan's just said "I lost my father, I lost a baby ...". How can she possibly compare a miscarriage to falling out with her father? One's a tragic act of nature, the other's the result of human behaviour.

And where was Harry whilst she was dealing with mental health issues? He was happy enough to kick up a fuss over a tiara, but he apparently wasn't able to contact a doctor or counsellor for help for Meghan?

I don't believe her when she said that she had mental health issues. Perhaps, she was disappointed and a little sad, but that does not equate to being suicidal.

Last edited:
I just heard that it wasn’t HM or PP! WHEW!
Of course I would never say that all supporters of the BRF are racist. It’s untrue and unkind.
But if it’s true that there is a racist culture in the institution how can so many people who I know are good support them?
BTW- I still do. But now I’m looking at- not up.

I hate political correctness to such degree you can't say anything about Meghan. To me she contradicts herself all the time and is simply lying. What is interesting, what's the best strategy from the palace?
I believe this will be a no-story in a year. H&M will leech from using the royals but will be irrelevant and damaged goods.

I just heard that it wasn’t HM or PP! WHEW!
Of course I would never say that all supporters of the BRF are racist. It’s untrue and unkind.
But if it’s true that there is a racist culture in the institution how can so many people who I know are good support them?
BTW- I still do. But now I’m looking at- not up.

There's a wonderful song from Avenue Q, a musical - "Everyone's A Little Bit Racist".

It's true, but it doesn't mean there isn't good that outweighs it. Same for the BRF as anywhere else.

As Harry has now pointed out retroactively, the Queen and Prince Philip had nothing to do with the discussion of Archie's skin colour. I still think that they should say who it was - otherwise the whole Royal Family gets blamed for it, which I don't think is fair.

I think that’s their point though (even though they claim they don’t want to single that person out). Saying who it is puts the blame on one person, being vague puts the blame on the institution, and it’s the institution itself that they have a problem with.

Finished watching it and well...meh.

I mean the racism claim is the big one. And will need to be dealt with. But the rest...even the suicidal claims...she would have been offered help. I don't believe she was denied any help.

The obsession with the title and security too was a little odd and they contradicted eachother.

I just watched a second time, it's like watching a train wreck, even the Windsors were not as bad, they never said a single derogatory word about the Royal House, just quietly retired.

I think that’s their point though (even though they claim they don’t want to single that person out). Saying who it is puts the blame on one person, being vague puts the blame on the institution, and it’s the institution itself that they have a problem with.

Not so much the racist remark as they also seemed to tie it in with Archie not being a prince, which is patently not true.

I don't believe her when she said that she had mental health issues. Perhaps, she was disappointed and a little sad, but that does not equate to being suicidal.

I don’t think that any of us at this distance and not knowing Meghan personally, can say what state her mental health was in. No-one but the person themselves can say how they are feeling at a particular time. The partner may guess, and a psychiatrist can diagnose but nobody really knows but the individual.

And I believe Meghan when she says she felt suicidal, just as I believe she was extremely miserable for much of that last year in the UK.

I understand why you are concerned but Oprah failed to ask Harry about his history of making racist comments. There is a difference between being insensitive and being racist. Most people make comments they didn't realize would be offensive from time to time.

She does love the dramatic statements and grand hyperbole does she not? Honestly it sounds to me she is dicing and adding parts of Diana’s life story, mixing with inflammatory statements about race and beating in her own life events to make a tragedy stew. A thick , sour, salty , mushy hot mess thrown at the Queens face.

It was a very sad interview. I can't help but think that Meghan saw her time in Britain through the tinted glasses of depression or mental illness.

Many families discuss what a new baby will inherit. The talk of brown eyes, curls, freckles, temper etc. is a sign of intimacy - that you can talk skin colour, to me, seems a respectful acknowlegement of the baby's heritage.

For a couple who could easily seek their own obstetrician, hospital etc. it seems implausible that Harry did not know how to find help for his wife who was suffering with mental anguish and suicidal thoughts.

I feel terribly sad for the BRF. I think the British public will see the interview for what it was... a nasty self centred expose aimed at American viewers.

Harry and Meghan need to seek counselling for their own happiness. Adults are responsible for their own happiness.

I just watched a second time, it's like watching a train wreck, even the Windsors were not as bad, they never said a single derogatory word about the Royal House, just quietly retired.

Isn't it weird when you think the Windsors behaved better? I never thought I'd say that in a million years. I swear the Queen Mum is rolling over in her grave that her great grandson has behaved worse than David.

I definitely believe that she had serious mental issues and mental stress. Just being pregnant throws the hormonal system into a whirlwind of emotions. The extent of being "suicidal" can be many different things. One thing I know, if someone says that they've never thought of suicide, they're lying. We all think of it at bad times but we know not to act on it. Meghan knew enough about what was going on with her to seek help. The question is what kind of help did she really want?

To go to a "rehab" away from the stressful environment as in a "celebrity spa and health clinic", I could see that being nipped in the bud. The security concerns alone would be astronomical. I'm positive that if she really wanted to, she could have found a professional that would have worked with her discreetly and no one would have been the wiser and she most certainly could have afforded to float the bill herself. That's why when she stated she was refused help, I can't buy it. Perhaps she didn't get the help she deemed she wanted the way she wanted it.

Isn't it weird when you think the Windsors behaved better? I never thought I'd say that in a million years. I swear the Queen Mum is rolling over in her grave that her great grandson has behaved worse than David.

David was the king. And walked away. And caused more upheaval than this. I don't think the Queen Mum would be looking at Harry just yet.

David was the king. And walked away. And caused more upheaval than this. I don't think the Queen Mum would be looking at Harry just yet.

Yes, but David went quietly and Harry is talking to the press. I believe the Queen Mum took issue with both Diana and Charles doing that so I can't think she'd look fondly at Harry walking away, talking to the press and then saying horrible things about the family. I don't think the rank would matter all that much.

I definitely believe that she had serious mental issues and mental stress. Just being pregnant throws the hormonal system into a whirlwind of emotions. The extent of being "suicidal" can be many different things. One thing I know, if someone says that they've never thought of suicide, they're lying. We all think of it at bad times but we know not to act on it. Meghan knew enough about what was going on with her to seek help. The question is what kind of help did she really want?

To go to a "rehab" away from the stressful environment as in a "celebrity spa and health clinic", I could see that being nipped in the bud. The security concerns alone would be astronomical. I'm positive that if she really wanted to, she could have found a professional that would have worked with her discreetly and no one would have been the wiser and she most certainly could have afforded to float the bill herself. That's why when she stated she was refused help, I can't buy it. Perhaps she didn't get the help she deemed she wanted the way she wanted it.

I think that's probably it. I'm not surprised she was suffering but we know several members of the BRF who have sort therapy and have really been on the fore front of championing mental health, I don't believe its all for show. James Middleton admitted to going to family therapy for terrible depression that included Kate as well.

Not being able to go to the clinic you want is a far cry from not being able to get ANY help.

They could have had the best therapists in the country visiting daily and no one would be any the wiser.

I do think The Firm is a very difficult place to be at the best of time and at least somewhat dysfunctional and probably needs to put a lot of things in place and possibly conduct more than one investigation but I don't believe this one sided interview either.

Yes, but David went quietly and Harry is talking to the press. I believe the Queen Mum took issue with both Diana and Charles doing that so I can't think she'd look fondly at Harry walking away, talking to the press and then saying horrible things about the family. I don't think the rank would matter all that much.

It's not the rank, it's the responsibility. When the king decides to go, and makes your desperate, panicky husband the new king with no preparation and almost no word, I think it's a bigger crisis than talking to the media.

I did not watch the interview - I fell asleep ?, rather I am reacting to two specific things based on the BBC live recaps (link) during the interview.

1. The comment regarding Archie's possible skin tone and connecting it to him not being given a Prince title. There's incongruity between Meghan and Harry's versions. Meghan, by her own admission, said that she was not present for the skin tone conversations.

Meghan refers to conversations plural regarding Archie's title and his skin tone occurring in "tandem" during her pregnancy. Harry states that it was a single conversation that took place when they were dating. Needless to say, a single conversation is one too many, but Meghan gets a huge side-eye from me for retconning it from a single conversation when the Sussexes started dating into several conversations during her pregnancy - unless Harry is the one misrepresenting things.

Here are the relevant passages from bbc.com, emphasis mine:

21:04 7 Mar
Meghan: One royal was concerned how dark Archie's skin would be

Oprah asks Meghan about why she thinks the Royal Family didn't want to make Archie a prince.

"Why do you think that is? Do you think it's because of his race? I know that's a loaded question." says Oprah.

"I can give you an honest answer," says Meghan.

"In those months when I was pregnant, all around this same time so we have in tandem the conversation of he won't be given security, he's not going to be given a title, and also concerns and conversations about how dark his skin might be when he was born."

Oprah asks her who said that.

Meghan doesn't answer, and Oprah asks again. "There are several conversations about it," says Meghan. The conversation was with Harry, she says, and about how dark the baby's going to be "potentially and what that would mean or look like".

She refuses to say who it is, saying: "I think that would be very damaging to them."

Meghan adds: "That was relayed to me from Harry. Those were conversations that family had with him. And I think it was really hard to be able to see those as compartmentalised conversations."```

21:52 7 Mar
Harry asked by family about baby's race

Oprah asks Harry about Meghan's earlier comments, saying members of the Royal Family had asked about the race of their future children.

"That conversation, I am never going to share," Harry replies.

"At the time it was awkward, I was a bit shocked," he says, adding that this conversation took place "right at the beginning" of their relationship.
2. Harry stated that his family was initially welcoming to Meghan but things changed after the Australian tour. It should be noted that Jason Knauf sent his email alleging bullying during the early days of the tour. Furthermore there have been reports of a couple of incidents that happened during the Australian tour which then begs the question, did attitudes towards Meghan change due to some form of jealousy, or were there other reasons for the change in attitude?

Here is the relevant passage from bbc.com:

22:07 7 Mar
Harry: It all changed after the Australia tour

Harry says Meghan was received "far better than (he) expected" in the beginning of their public relationship.

He says that the Prince of Wales and the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge were "really welcoming".

"But it all changed after the Australia tour."

Australia was the couple's first official royal tour since getting married in May 2018.

"It was the first time the family got to see how incredible she was at the job. And that brought back memories," Harry says, referencing Diana, Princess of Wales' tour of Australia in 1983.

This was also referenced in the latest scene of Netflix's The Crown.

Harry and Meghan say they have watched some of the popular series when asked by Oprah.

"I just wish that we would all learn from the past," Harry adds.

1. Without the full context of the ' colour' of Archie comment , it is hard to determine if it was tactless, rude , or blatantly racist. Now everybody is being accused even a 99 year old seriously ill man who served his country his whole adult life.

2. Williams children are the only great grandchildren to have titles, so the rules were not changed to exclude Archie. ( Why did Oprah not ask about the other great grand children)

3. Why would you not approach your doctor or family on a health matter , instead you go to HR, who deal with the staff. Do you not have a doctor, your husband leads on a mental health initiative. ( Simple question )

4,There wasn't a problem getting her passport to go NY, South of France, Lake Como.
You have a PA who organises your travel and deals with all the incidentals on your behalf including sorting out the travel arrangements. ( was she locked in and not permitted to travel )

5. Nobody asked her to stand outside the hospital to pose, well they refused to provide any information re the birth so there was no way there was going to be a photocall. I had always thought the private birth, christening and god parents were all about they wanted Archie brought up below the radar more or less a private citizen. Or as it now seems them stamping their feet in a tantrum because he was not to be titled a prince. Would it have been different if he had been given the title prince.

6. I wasn't allowed to go to lunch with my friends. Was she locked in the rooms.

7. The secret wedding... possibly a blessing, but not a secret wedding. They would have been permitted a low key wedding if they had wanted. You need 2 witnesses in this country to be married legally, she forgot about that.

My personal opinion is that Meghan has been very selective in what she said, positioning things in such a way to have full impact. I am disappointed that Oprah did not do her homework better and challenge them on some of the statements. Meghan very much wanted to put over the poor me message and Oprah either fell for it or was happy to run with it for the ratings. Channelling Diana etc. I am not saying life was easy for her, but I am not a journalist and I can pick holes in her argument.

Last edited:
"I just wish that we would all learn from the past," Harry adds.

Says Harry while giving a pot-shotting interview à la his mum.

It's not the rank, it's the responsibility. When the king decides to go, and makes your desperate, panicky husband the new king with no preparation and almost no word, I think it's a bigger crisis than talking to the media.

Fair enough

Queen Claude said:
2. Harry stated that his family was initially welcoming to Meghan but things changed after the Australian tour. It should be noted that Jason Knauf sent his email alleging bullying during the early days of the tour. Furthermore there have been reports of a couple of incidents that happened during the Australian tour which then begs the question, did attitudes towards Meghan change due to some form of jealousy, or were there other reasons for the change in attitude?

That's a very interesting point.

A snap poll of UK adults conducted by YouGov March 8:
From what you have read and heard, do you think Harry and Meghan’s two hour interview with Oprah Winfrey was appropriate or inappropriate?

It was appropriate 21%
It was inappropriate 47%
Don’t know 31%​
The link contains breakdowns by age, gender, political party, region, and social grade.

So those adults were commenting on something they had not yet viewed for themselves, but had read or heard about through the lenses of the British Press, tabloids, royal commentators and self proclaimed ‘experts’? The vast majority of the British media have been very critical of the Sussexes for at least a year, so the above result is hardly unexpected!

I don't think they can be stripped of their titles without feeding into Meghan's narrative. I think the best we can hope is that once Charles assumes the thrones they amend things to say that going forward only the children of the eldest child will receive titles. So in this case just George's children. I also wouldn't mind if their were no Duchies for Charlotte or Louis when they married.

Actually, that may have been what Meghan meant when she said that "they" were talking about changing the rules on titles. I wonder if although this forum has been discussing a slimmed down monarchy for years, Harry didn't realize that if the monarchy was slimmed down, his children may not be working royals when William is king. I'm sure he knew on some level but it could have been different when Archie was born and it stopped being hypothetical.

Actually, that may have been what Meghan meant when she said that "they" were talking about changing the rules on titles. I wonder if although this forum has been discussing a slimmed down monarchy for years, Harry didn't realize that if the monarchy was slimmed down, his children may not be working royals when William is king. I'm sure he knew on some level but it could have been different when Archie was born and it stopped being hypothetical.

So he's having the Andrew problem?

He just had to look at his cousins and he would have realised that his children would be on the side lines of royal duty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom