The Duke & Duchess of Sussex with Oprah II - Interview, March 7th-9th 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm watching the interview on DK Tv right now.

It's actually one of the first time, I really listen to and watch Meghan.

Of course most of the impressions I get now, are picked up by the emotional side of my brain. The analytical side is till on though.

Oprah does impress me. Even though she doesn't press the questions, she does ask relevant questions - and her "reactions" goads out elaborations from Meghan.

I find it extremely difficult to believe that she as a well-educated, mature, intelligent women, did not do research about the family she was marrying into. Nor that she didn't prepare herself.
You cannot be that bloody naive! A fifteen year old girl might flow on clouds into the BRF - and adult woman? I don't buy it.

She did put a knife into Kate's ribs IMO. It was subtle, but the knife was there.

-Next segment starting.

Yougov poll -

Was the interview appropriate or inappropriate

appropriate - 21%
inappropriate - 47%
don't know - 31%

How much sympathy if any do you ave for Harry and Meghan
a lot - 12%
a fair amount - 17%
not very much - 23%
none at all - 33%
Don't know - 15%

How much sympathy for senior members of the RF
a lot - 16%
a fair amount - 23%
not very much - 25%
none at all - 20%
Don't know - 16%

Yougov poll -

appropriate - 21%
inappropriate - 47%
don't know - 31%

a lot - 12%
a fair amount - 17%
not very much - 23%
none at all - 33%
Don't know - 15%

a lot - 16%
a fair amount - 23%
not very much - 25%
none at all - 20%
Don't know - 16%

So it looks like most British people think it was inappropriate and don't have any sympathy for anyone.

Yougov poll -

appropriate - 21%
inappropriate - 47%
don't know - 31%

a lot - 12%
a fair amount - 17%
not very much - 23%
none at all - 33%
Don't know - 15%

a lot - 16%
a fair amount - 23%
not very much - 25%
none at all - 20%
Don't know - 16%

These figures seem to bear out other polls about the couple. Somewhere around a quarter are supportive. Of those who express an opinion it's about a third.

So it looks like most British people think it was inappropriate and don't have any sympathy for anyone.

The last question is an interesting one. If you take out the don't knows it's roughly fifty fifty.

Only one in five think it's appropriate. I wonder if that'll be reflected in the viewing figures.

The thing that really grinds me is that Harry claims to love his family -
Well spare a thought for the kids (children) that had to go to school in this mess today .
George, Charlotte, Louise and James. (And no I don't think kids George age are above making comments).

Well Done Harry.

How has he been vilified by Meghan though? This clip literally was the first time she publicly spoke of this man. Everything else was in court documents. I don't know what more this man can say other than he wants to see her and the kids --- and that aint happening.

He did stage pictures before the wedding. Fact. But my guess he will be annoyed that she didn't really mention him at all.

And how is that bad enough to justify Meghan of GHOSTING her own father who according to Meghan HERSELF, a kind and caring man who took care of her? Because she thinks that he was making money off of her? That's a bit rich considering she effectively is making money off of the BRF now.

The last question is an interesting one. If you take out the don't knows it's roughly fifty fifty.

Only one in five think it's appropriate. I wonder if that'll be reflected in the viewing figures.

True. I hadn't looked at that. So it seems more people are against them then are with them in the UK. Although the support for the Senior Royals isn't overwhelming. I wonder if that's because Charles and Camilla aren't popular? Do you think it would be higher if they had just asked about the Queen or Will and Kate?

I find it interesting that H&M were so openly hurt and upset at her father speaking out on TV about them yet feel it is okay to do the same to the Queen and RF. I don't see how most people could justify it to themselves in any rational way. They would get more sympathy speaking out about Thomas than the RF who never spoke out against H&M.

One thing that confuses me - Harry said Charles and William have learned to live with the 'toxic environment' of the royal family.

Who exactly is creating this toxic environment? The Queen? Members of the Household? The grey men? The government?

Surely, given what senior positions they hold, if Charles and William consider something to be toxic, they would have the ability to change it? Or is the royal bureaucracy such an immovable, all-controlling beast that the actual royals themselves have become cogs in its machine - puppets with no influence and no say over how things are done?

It all seems a bit odd.

If you think of the Japanese Imperial Household Agency and their power over the Imperial family.... is it still "odd"?

But I think what was the worst for Harry (and probably even more for his American wife) is the so ingrained fact in the whole system that the heir to the title is someone so much more valuable than the spare and his family. Once Meghan and Harry started to resent that, the environment became "toxic" for real because from then on they fought against the principle that is the base of the whole system. There is only one family member sitting on the throne and as she grew old, she shared a lot of things with her heir. Now Charles is the one to rule the institution, I believe, and he didn't want to accept that Harry needed more independence, more space, probably more money (hence the sentence about "Meghan should continue acting because you can't afford her otherwise").

Harry was born within the system as the second son, but due to his mother's way to raise them and later her death he was not taught to be the "spare" to William the heir. (IMHO, that's what I think). He took his privileges as a prince for something he has a right to, though I think he was given a certain leeway that Andrew didn't have. Andrew was an officer, he was gone for longer periods of time and Sarah had to stay home alone with much less money than Diana. We know how this ended. Charles I think made sure that Harry and Meghan had enough money, but of course Meghan had her own phases of shopping sprees. But I degress. I just wanted to point out that Harry IMHO never had a doubt in his life that Charles would stop giving him money and that his (and his family's )protection would be cared for.

As I said: Harry didn't IMHo realised that while the family is wealthy, it doesn't mean the spare gets more than the share which is set aside for a spare while the bulk goes to the heir.

Coming back to Andrew: he divorced the woman he really loves, IMHO, because there was no other way to get rid of her debts, after she had annoyed the queen and the Duke of E. so much. It may be good to remember that a memeber of the "court/firm" told the paps where they could get the pics of toe-sucking Sarah. She shouldn't have done that with her baby daughters present, IMHO, but well, old story. But still, toxic environment for a spare and his "independant" wife... IMHO Sarah is the friend of Diana's Meghan turned to (hence the name of "Fergie", which is the name Sarah is known by her friends, as I read) Probably the idea of a "secret marriage" came from Sarah, who I suspect had one of those with Andrew after their divorce. But I have no proof of that, it's just a gut feeling. Or why is she still living with Andrew now that the daughters they "wanted to raise together despite the divorce" both are married???

But to listen to Sarah is the wrong way IMHO if you want to stay within the inner cirlce and succeed there.

For me the pressure of the really hostile media on an American with a husband who wanted secretly out as well was the recipe for disaster. Plus Harry simply didn't understand how privileged he actually was, even when he was not as privileged as his brother William. He couldn't understand that the British Metropolitan police sent a group of protection officers with him to Afghanistan, but wouldn't protect his little son in Britain nor him in Canada/the US.

That must have hurt, I can understand that, but it is the same as it is for children of industrialist who don't want to join in the family business.

Ah, another thought: about the question of Meghan's suicidal depression. Once you have that, it is very difficult to say what of your behaviour is based on the mentall illness (which is an illness!) or on the way the patient wants to be treated. If Meghan was looking for advice how to get out of the palace environment into a private sanatorium (maybe even the US) I can imagine why she didn't get support. Getting in secret to a doctor to get pills and talks maybe wasn't what she wanted to do and nothing else was on offer to her.

I have been saying for a long time that I need proof to say something about Meghan and Harry and now I think I found that in this interview. Both IMHO are not used to be told "no" and to arrange their life around that. You can call that duty and service. They just didn't see what it meant to be a member of the BRF. Not just privileges, but service, even if the simple things were hard.

I once was in a similar position (not quite on that level, though, but I had chanpagne, luxurious suites and upgrades on flying as goodies, too!) and couldn't stand what was behind it, so I left. But I did accept that that was the end to the goodies as well! And did I needed them? No, I couldn't afford those little luxuries on my own quite well. So here you won't find sympathy for people praying water on expecting to drink wine and champagne for the rest of their lifes.

It might be a hard way they are going now and again, no sympathy because Harry's aunt Sarah went that way before.

I am just saddened they seem to be another of those (youngish) couples who didn't realise what they had before they gave it up in a snit. Back in the BRF they just had to do their duties and everything was good. Now with Netflix etc. they have to bring something to the audience to get the next contracts... Not sure if that is better.

I hope for their sake that their feeling of being on the winner side they have to have right now is based in reality. Maybe Meghan and Harry are really the guys to bring money to Netflix. I hope so, really I do! Maybe Harry has the TV-talent Edward thought he had. We'll see.

But I'm afraid it is too late for Charles to teach his princely son what it means to be the brother of the future king and not the heir himself.

I find it extremely difficult to believe that she as a well-educated, mature, intelligent women, did not do research about the family she was marrying into. Nor that she didn't prepare herself.
You cannot be that bloody naive! A fifteen year old girl might flow on clouds into the BRF - and adult woman? I don't buy it.

The British Royal Family is the most famous and most known family in the world. You must be totally starry-eyed not to know who they are.

I just watched a german documentary report about the interview. There a so called royal expert claims that the decision of Harry and Meghan for this interview was finally made after the announcement from February (regarding patronages and finalizing the Megxit). This announcement would have made Harry and Meghan so angry that they gave their okay to Oprah. But wasn't it clear that after beginning of the superivising period in April that after a year the whole process would be new valued. It was clear that after finalizing the Megxit some things would be changed for them. If this was the reason for the final decision to sit down in an interview with Oprah I must say: "You forgot what you have last year agreed!"

I guess from now we will never ever see the Sussex-family on british soil. Not even for the possible funerals of his grandparents or the coronation of his father.

I feel so sorry for Archie and his sister not to be able to build family ties with George, Charlotte and Louis or vice versa. Children are not guilty for the mistakes of their parents. They should have the possibility to share time together. I also feel so sorry for Harrys children that they possible won't have contact with their grandfather, stepgrandmother, great-grandparents, uncle, aunt and the rest of the royal family. In Germany there is a phrase: "It takes a village to raise a child!" But there must be also a family.

I really hope for Philip that this interview and its results will not worsen his health.

Well spare a thought for the kids (children) that had to go to school in this mess today .
George, Charlotte, Louise and James. (And no I don't think kids George age are above making comments).

Well Done Harry.

Exactly, the whole time I was thinking why would Harry & Meghan not considered the privacy other members of the Royal Family, given they are so adamant on protecting Archie. I would even extend this to Savannah Phillips, Isla Phillips and Mia Tindall. Lena is only 2 years old and probably stays at home.

I think Julia Hartley-Brewer somewhat agree with you :cool: :lol:
Julia Hartley-Brewer @JuliaHB1
Whose daft idea was it for this *two hour* #MeghanandHarryonOprah interview on ITV to start at 9 sodding pm on a Monday night when kids have gone back to school and some of us have alarm clocks set for 4.30am...? Grrrrrrr.
6:52 AM · Mar 9, 2021·Twitter for iPhone​

Well Done Harry.

It must be especially horrible for Louise and James because they and everyone they know are old enough to know and fully understand what's going on. As for George and Charlotte, I can't even imagine going to school where everyone tells you all how your uncle and aunt were saying horrible things about your entire family on tv for all the world to see. Even Louis must be aware that everyone in his family is upset.

And the saddest thing is we know this happened to William and Harry during the war of the Wales. I really think William is going to be extra careful of his kids and Kate now.

Watching the second segment.

Still good questions from Oprah.

Archie not being protected. I don't get that one.
He is a child. He was living in a guarded estate. He was mainly with his parents, who were protected.
Surely that would be an issue for when he became older or an adult.

Meghan feeling unhappy and depressed. I find that very believable. The circumstances and setting is irrelevant. It's how a person feels. You can sit on a pile of gold and be depressed!
Considering how she was flung into a completely new life - more or less deliberately unprepared it is IMO more than likely that she would become depressed.

Not getting help. She felt she didn't get help. Those whom she asked may have felt they did offer help on the basis of how they interpreted her call for help. That's impossible to say.

The race issue is pretty tenuous IMO. It's perception and meaning. Meaning: Wouldn't it be cute if your child was brown.
Perception: Racism!

Photo-op after the birth of Archie, none, because no one asked?!?
I remember it well. Half of Britain howled for photos!
Don't buy that one.

Last edited:
And how is that bad enough to justify Meghan of GHOSTING her own father who according to Meghan HERSELF, a kind and caring man who took care of her? Because she thinks that he was making money off of her? That's a bit rich considering she effectively is making money off of the BRF now.

Meghan didn't ghost him over the pictures. He admits that himself. She stopped talking to him due to everything he did the days leading up to the wedding. And then all he has done after it. This man also insulted Doria to a tabloid. I really have zero sympathy for that man.

He can say whatever he wants to say. Nothing has stopped him the last 2 years from doing so.

That is interesting but not really surprising. It is a bit hard to feel sympathy for a rich, famous family while so many people are hurting. It's like the South Africa interview, really tone deaf. This is why I think the royal family is better served not responding.

Last edited:
I typed several lines and deleted all of it (I'm shocked at some of the vile anti-BRF comments on social media, and just don't understand if H&M don't realize that their words feed these comments, or that they don't care)

but in the end all i'm left with is:

what do H&M think they gain by doing this...
This was the first thing my husband asked when I told him about the interview. And when I thought about it and couldn't come up with an answer, he said that people who for a long time felt misunderstood and hearing of wrong stories about them have a strong need to tell their side of the story. And then he said: But it never helps. You can only come to terms with yourself. And he is right in that. They reacted like pampered children who actually means something to people. But they will find out that they don't as memebers of the RF. They can only make them meaningful by doing good work for their emplyers now. Good luck with that!! I really mean: I wish you all the luck in the world.

How is it that no one here is blaming Charles for this mess?

Downing Street says Boris Johnson didn't watch the interview and that any questions arising from it should be handled by BP.

“I’ve always had the highest admiration for the Queen and the unifying role that she plays in our country and across the Commonwealth,” he told a news conference when asked about the allegations.

“As for the rest, all other matters to do with the royal family, I’ve spent a long time now not commenting on royal family matters and I don’t intend to depart from that today.”

https://www.reuters.com/article/bri...s-uks-johnson-praises-the-queen-idUSKBN2B01W9

But he is to blame for cutting them off, for not answering to the phone, not listening when Meghan was depressed, did nothing when she faced deep racism for years by the hands of the tabbloids and members of the family.

He is unofficial head of this family as Elizabeth gets older and older. This idea that Charles is some innocent bystander is absolutely foul. He hasn't been an innocent bystander the moment he married Diana.

Third segment on, soon bedtime.

Harry is on.

Still pointy questions from Oprah.

There is no question in my mind, that certainly Harry genuinely believe in their own narrative, that they were unfairly treated, that they got no support.

It is also clear that Harry (and Meghan) did decide to press ahead with their plans regardless. He said so clearly. And that there had been a huge row! Phone not being answered is indicative of a huge row.
There is no self-criticism from either of them.
There is no: In hindsight we made this and that mistake or we should have done this and that instead.
It's everybody else who are wrong and mean and don't understand.

There is a lot of emphasis on security. I don't quite get it. Security was gradually withdrawn after H&M left as senior working members of the BRF.
Such protection is taxpayer funded. And as private citizens their security becomes a private and local police matter.

Well, no need to see more.
I'm not particularly impressed. There was too much "poor me", too much blaming others and no self-reflection.
It will still be very damaging for the BRF though.
The main focus here in DK, to the extent that there is a focus (we have other things to be concerned about right now,) is the racist element.

Many will believe them, others want to throw things at the TV. There will be few inbetween.

I'm damned good at spotting micro-expressions! And I saw them...

Well Done Harry.

I am not sure he loves his family, but in his mind he wants to love them. You can't love your family and do these kind of things. He could have left without this spectacle.

But he is to blame for cutting them off, for not answering to the phone, not listening when Meghan was depressed, did nothing when she faced deep racism for years by the hands of the tabbloids and members of the family.

He is unofficial head of this family as Elizabeth gets older and older. This idea that Charles is some innocent bystander is absolutely foul. He hasn't been an innocent bystander the moment he married Diana.

How is he to blame? They chose to leave the Family and that is when he cut off their finances. What is Charles going to do? Harry is her husband. Charles didn't speak out when the press bashed Camila, his wife or Kate his daughter-in-law.

Last edited by a moderator:

-They wanted to be financially independant. They are now.
- At one point even a father can be very tired by his son's antics and not responding to the phone. Charles is a very busy man, Harry knows that.
- It was not the role of Charles to listen his daughter in law complaining about her state of mind. It was Harry's. Harry was seeing professionals for his own problems for years, so sure he knew how to deal with it.
- Charles's role is not to defend every single member of the family in the press. It's the moto " just go with it". His own wife was maybe the most hated woman on earth at one point. He probably told Meghan to carry on and keep calm.
- The marriage to Diana is totally irrelevent in this story.

Harry specifically said that he did not go to any members of the royal family with the request for Meghan to receive treatment for her depression/suicidal ideation. That actually stuck with me a lot -- Meghan said she was ashamed or scared to tell Harry, and then when he joined the interview he said that he did not go to his family with the information because he was also ashamed.

I don't think the fault lies with any one person, but honestly I think a lot of the interview highlighted Harry's reticence to actually express the severity of the issues directly to his family. And Meghan should perhaps be just as upset about that -- she was pregnant and suicidal and needed help, and instead of her husband going to family to ask for help, he and Meghan meandered through the royal household bureaucracy (who they clearly don't trust) because *he* -- not just she -- was too ashamed to make clear the extent of her difficulty.

Honestly, much of the interview highlighted for me how little Harry did to prepare Meghan, and how much he hesitated to speak up or push back when he had more standing to do so than she did -- for example, he said that the comment from a family member about their future child's skin tone was something that took him by surprise so he didn't say much to respond, but yet he felt the need to pass on this comment to Meghan without being willing to push back as a white man whose own family member it was?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom