The Duke & Duchess of Sussex with Oprah II - Interview, March 7th-9th 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I was really wrong as to how much Harry and Megan would spill about the family.

I truly thought there would be more restraint, as I (wrongly) assumed that Harry would want to continue a future relationship, however changed. Many of us come from dysfunctional and racist families, and some of us have ended familial relationships. Most of us don't do so on television, but Harry has had ample time to think this over. He must be ready to deal with the consequences.

I can't see Harry and Megan attending a single public event with the Queen from now on. I have no idea what will happen for Charles' coronation but that is still likely quite a ways away. I don't believe Archie's new sister will be christened in the UK, and I highly doubt Harry's family will be invited regardless.

I don't doubt a racist comment was made. But I also think that if you are going to say that someone was racist on international television, have the guts to identify them and be specific on when the comment was made, and let the cards fall where they may.

I'm hardly a Catherine fanatic, but going after her came off petty. I doubt William will ever forgive his brother.

I do also hope that William and Kate learn from this that they need to be very open and honest with Charlotte and Louis, from a young age, on what roles they can and cannot have, and how titles, funding, and security work for non-heirs, and specifically working and non-working royals. Royalty involves rank- there is no way of getting around it.

PM Boris Johnson, when asked about it today, confirming the long held tradition of British politicians of staying away from internal affairs of the RF (quote from the tabloid Daily Express ).

Tonight Mr Johnson praised the Queen for her work as sovereign but refused to be drawn on the racism accusations levelled at members of the family.

At a Downing Street press conference, he said: "I have always had the highest admiration for the Queen and the unifying role that she plays in our country and across the Commonwealth.

But on "all other matters to do with the Royal Family, I have spent a long time now not commenting on royal family matters and I don't intend to depart from that today".

He added: "I really think that when it comes to matters to do with the Royal Family the right thing for Prime Ministers to say is nothing, and nothing is the thing that I propose to say today about that particular matter."

Last edited:
Harry has had ample time to think this over. He must be ready to deal with the consequences.

You may be right, but I don't think their history indicates that. They had ample time to "think over" contentious issues like security when debating whether step back from royal work. Those issues were being discussed, and the discussions were taking too long for their liking, so they just publicly announced to the world that they were half-leaving, assuming that they'd be allowed to keep their security. Then when forced to choose, they chose to all-the-way leave, apparently still expecting someone else to pick up their security. Then they were shocked when that didn't happen, which is why they needed to do the Netflix deal. Then when the decided to finalize their exit earlier than the one-year deadline previously agreed so they could go on Oprah, they were shocked that they lost their remaining patronages and other official trappings. Accurately predicting consequences before dropping bombshells isn't something at which these two excel.

Actually Meghan's YouGov favorability rates were good until 2020. Polls showed British public were in favor of the couple's engagement and were not bothered by the fact that she was bi-racial and divorced.

Poll from Nov. 2017 regarding the engagement- https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politic...rts-british-reaction-prince-harrys-engagement

The couple's popularity drops in Oct. 2020.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/enterta.../10/28/royal-popularity-harry-and-meghan-drop

Interesting to look at how much Harry's popularity has dropped since the engagement. William and Kate's remains pretty steady though.

I watched the interview last night, then the TrueRoyaltyTV (live) discussion that was broadcast on Facebook, then CBS This Morning with Oprah and some additional clips. I've waded through all 34 pages of this thread.

What strikes me most is how loudly history is echoing here. How Harry's behavior is so reminiscent of Diana's (for good and ill); and how Meghan seems all too eager to be cast in the part of the Duchess of Windsor, right down to her appearance in the interview. Some of Diana's problems were, let's face it, of her own making. Same is true of Wallis, who was very unhappy (and very unfaithful) later in her marriage.

Without wanting to bash H&M too much (there's plenty of that on this thread already), they seem totally blind to the destructiveness of their behavior. I personally believe the damage they have done to the monarchy may be reversible but the damage they have done to family bonds probably isn't. I wish them the best, I guess, but I have little appetite in following them moving forward.

And what happens to the Palace "HR" investigation? Yikes. Not sure that can play out without being perceived as retaliation toward Meghan.

Last edited:
According a tweet from All Things Royal The Duchess of Cambridge was spotted driving into the court of Buckingham Palace. It is speculated she drove there for a crisismeeting.

Probably. It may indicate that they're not simply going to be silent over this and/or that they want to hash things out in person so everyone's on the same page.

Well, I was really wrong as to how much Harry and Megan would spill about the family.

I truly thought there would be more restraint, as I (wrongly) assumed that Harry would want to continue a future relationship, however changed. Many of us come from dysfunctional and racist families, and some of us have ended familial relationships. Most of us don't do so on television, but Harry has had ample time to think this over. He must be ready to deal with the consequences.

To be fair, few of us have the opportunity to go on television. It's only human to vent and complain, but at almost 40, both Harry and Meghan should know that publicly complaining when disagreements arise usually adds fuel to the fire. I know I have said this before, but I don't understand what they gain from it. They have their $100+ million deals, so why do this interview.

I don't doubt a racist comment was made. But I also think that if you are going to say that someone was racist on international television, have the guts to identify them and be specific on when the comment was made, and let the cards fall where they may.

I doubt it. If this was said, characterizing it as racist implies that the speaker had malicious intentions. Senior members of the royal family have been in the public eye for decades. I have seen no evidence that they are racists. Even Meghan says that the royal family was welcoming.

If this comment was made, it may have been insensitive and ignorant, but Harry has also said things that are insensitive and ignorant (in fact, I think there are multiple videos). We all do. Harry should have simply explained why he found that offensive and left it at that.

Of course they will respond. They really have no choice. It would be wise to take their time.

My criticism of Meghan and Harry is no secret here at TRF. I've maybe doubled my post count from the past decade plus just in my horror last night posting as I watched. If my tomatoes had been closer at hand, I would be missing a crucial ingredient for my dinner tonight.

But in the interest of listening to the interview with an open mind, the anthem was not something that struck me as odd at all. I think this was part of her larger point that there are just small, cultural things that generally, people might not think of that were part of her adjustment. Perhaps she was laying awake one night and in her panic realized, "I don't know the national anthem of the United Kingdom" and so she Googled it. Perhaps she realized she doesn't know whether people in the UK stand at attention, or face the flag with their heads bowed, or place their hands over their heart. Perhaps she felt ignorant asking her new husband. Surely my friends here at TRF will not tell me that there have not been times they should have asked questions but just felt too silly, even though they should not have.

The larger point I took away from this part of the interview was that there are many parts of culture that you take for granted when you are raised with it, that people who are new to the culture would not know. And this contributed to what she experienced in her adjustment to new life.

And what happens to the Palace "HR" investigation? Yikes. Not sure that can play out without being perceived as retaliation toward Meghan.

From what I understood of the Palace HR investigation it wasn't going to involve Meghan at all. It was just going to be an overall investigation into bullying in the Palace and to make sure there were policies put in place to make sure there couldn't be bullying in future.

I don't see how they could really do anything to Meghan anyway since she's not a working royal and she and Harry don't live there or seemingly interact that much with palace staff that much anymore. So I do think this is to make sure everything is being handled properly from the Palace's point of view.

I'd be interested in a new poll. Did this interview raise or lower their popularity? From someone like yougov.

The investigation was never supposed to be about Meghan but how senior staff handled the complaints. They can't quash that because Meghan gave a negative interview. But The Times seems confident that the complaints are accurate. Perhaps instead of the staff complaints being being publicized to counter the interview, it is possible that Harry and Meghan caught wind of the allegations and called their neighbor to create a distraction.

My assessment: At best, Meghan and Harry, but particularly Meghan, have very poor boundaries. This explains the need to share so much publicly. In my view, a mature person would not choose this route. Harry comes off as entitled, dependent and churlish, and Meghan comes off as very self-centered. (I am not negating their efforts at philanthropy and good works; I am talking about personality and relationships). I accept that she was subjected to racist attacks by the press and I accept that she was the victim of many microaggressions in her everyday relationships with the courtiers. It would be naieve not to recognize that. What I don't accept is that she/they were powerless to address it, seek psychological help, find solutions. They are nearing 40 years old. A public attack is not an effective way in the long term to solve problems.

Meghan's excitement about working for the Commonwealth (interview, commonwealth nations flowers on her veil) turned into condemning its colonial history (OK Harry said it but it's Meghan's voice saying it). The Commonwealth did emerge from a terrible history of colonization, and the Queen now sees it as a family of nations, giving voice to nations that might otherwise not have a voice. Somehow H and M wanted to focus on its evil underbelly, as if talking about it would erase it.

I give credit to Meghan for having a social conscience and trying to create change where change is needed. I do not give credit to her apparent desire to stick it to the Royal Family. We all have family members who make us cringe sometimes. We may challenge them directly or even cut them off. Most people don't see the need to publicize their family tensions, unless there is an other agenda at play.

So what is that agenda? I think we just need to ask, what is the payoff here?

That will tell you what their agenda was. I think it was both a need for attention and retribution for any perceived wrongs, and not getting what they wanted.

Finally, the people who I know who have lost a job or need money do not purchase/rent/lease a 14 million dollar mansion.

Yes I am curious why she didn't ask her fiance/husband to teach her the lyrics.

Add it to the growing list of things Harry should have taught Meghan as she was too naïve to learn herself.

Add it to the growing list of things Harry should have taught Meghan as she was too naïve to learn herself.

Harry himself is coming across as not knowing anything about royalty either. The whole Archie and title thing. :lol:

It will be interesting to see their statement. Meghan cleverly put it on record that she has a paper trail of some of these accounts she mentioned. Letters she wrote and wrote to her. She went to HR which would be on file. So I don't think it is as simple as claiming she is lying.

I personally think Meghan in her fragile state might remember things a bit differently. And at the same time it is very possible that inappropriate comments were made. It isn't like royals haven't been caught doing that before -- Harry included.

The whole thins is just sad that it has come to this point.

The larger point I took away from this part of the interview was that there are many parts of culture that you take for granted when you are raised with it, that people who are new to the culture would not know. And this contributed to what she experienced in her adjustment to new life.

The UK tabloid press in particular. Every country has its paps, but the UK red tops are a separate breed unto themselves. I wonder if Meghan truly understood what kind of treatment they were going to dish out, and just how nasty it might get. But again, that goes back to my point of her not being taught (or willing to learn) what to expect.

My criticism of Meghan and Harry is no secret here at TRF. I've maybe doubled my post count from the past decade plus just in my horror last night posting as I watched. If my tomatoes had been closer at hand, I would be missing a crucial ingredient for my dinner tonight.

But in the interest of listening to the interview with an open mind, the anthem was not something that struck me as odd at all. I think this was part of her larger point that there are just small, cultural things that generally, people might not think of that were part of her adjustment. Perhaps she was laying awake one night and in her panic realized, "I don't know the national anthem of the United Kingdom" and so she Googled it. Perhaps she realized she doesn't know whether people in the UK stand at attention, or face the flag with their heads bowed, or place their hands over their heart. Perhaps she felt ignorant asking her new husband. Surely my friends here at TRF will not tell me that there have not been times they should have asked questions but just felt too silly, even though they should not have.

I don't find it odd and unusual either that she wouldn't know the lyrics in the national anthem or what to do when the anthem is playing. I would expect she would have received coaching about things like that, but the UK Royal Household is actually a huge organization (much bigger than other European royal households) with many official duties. Maybe they took it for granted and, either ignored that she might actually not know the anthem, or thought it was something too trivial for them to even bother teaching her about.

On their baby's future skin color comment, assuming the quote is true, TBH I have heard comments like that myself many times in families with mixed race couples. They are not uncommon at all and, although Harry asked Oprah to say the comment didn't come from the Queen or Prince Philip, it is not far-fetched to assume that someone with their background or their children's background could have made it. It doesn't make them overt racists, especially when the quote is taken in context (which was not provided in this case), but shows lack of sensitivity and a culturally built-in racial bias.

Last edited:
This is something I was confused about. I wish we had gotten a little clarification on when the comments were made.

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry gave differing accounts of when a mystery member of the Royal Family raised concerns about how dark their baby's son skin might be.

The Duchess of Sussex said 'concerns and conversations about how dark his skin might be when he's born' happened 'in those months when was pregnant' with Archie.

But later when Prince Harry was asked about the exchange he appeared to suggest he heard the alleged slur from a royal figure earlier, before he and Meghan got married.

He said: 'That was right at the beginning, when she wasn't going to get security, when members of my family were suggesting that she carries on acting, because there was not enough money to pay for her, and all this sort of stuff.

'Like, there was some real obvious signs before we even got married that this was going to be really hard.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...racism-claims-clash-two-hour-Oprah-chat.html’

According a tweet from All Things Royal The Duchess of Cambridge was spotted driving into the court of Buckingham Palace. It is speculated she drove there for a crisismeeting.

Yes, BRF must be in meetings about the Harry and Meghan interview.

Duchess of Cambridge and Duchess of Cornwall were seen arriving at the palace for the meeting

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...amid-fall-onslaught-damaging-allegations.html

Well, we will just have to wait and see how all of this turns out. Family conflicts are nothing new in the British royal family. They have been going on since 1066. Look at the relationship between King Henry II and his sons, and the relationships that the sons had with each other. As Katherine Hepburn said in The Lion in Winter "What family doesn't have its ups and downs ?"

Time heals all wounds, and it has always been the destiny of younger sons to leave home and seek their fortunes abroad. Maybe sometime in the future, when all the commotion dies down, the Sussexes can find a useful diplomatic role as liaisons for the royal family in the U.S.A.

Last edited:
I'm also sceptical about it, as there is no senior working royal whom I can imagine saying something like that. And, even if anyone actually did wonder, I think they'd be more likely to look it up on Google than to say it to Harry's face. However, none of us can know what one person said to another when no-one else was there, so we can't say for certain.

But there's now going to be a lot of speculation, just as there always is when anyone says that "An unnamed Premier League footballer did this" or "An unnamed daytime TV personality said that" or anything else along those lines, which puts everyone in a very awkward position. People will be claiming that they know that it definitely wasn't one person, or that they know who it was but aren't going to say.

Indeed there is. Can you imagine being a member of the RF knowing that people will look at you wondering whether it was you.

What an unnecessary thing to say. Thank goodness he's made it plain it wasn't HM or Prince Philip. Talk about not thinking through the consequences of what you say.

Surely there needs to be a response to this allegation.

What possibilities does the Queen and the Royal Family now have? Revoking them from the line of succession, taking away the titles, terminating the right to live at Frogmore cottage, removing them from the Royal Family?

ACO, I also caught that she was inserting references to a paper trail.

Am I the only one, though, that thought she was being metaphorical when she referred to 'HR'? Is the consensus that she literally went to the Human Resources department that employees people for either the Royal Family or the buildings themselves, etc? I thought she was metaphorically suggesting she went to the family members who would be the equivalent of fulfilling that function.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom