The Duke & Duchess of Sussex with Oprah II - Interview, March 7th-9th 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There are headlines in America about Archie's title and mixed race. This is exactly what Meghan implied. It is time to remove the Sussex title.

At this point that would only be playing into their narrative and I doubt the Queen actually wants to do that for a number of reasons.

I'm surprised (but not really) though that Harry and Meghan didn't take the opportunity to say that they weren't going to use their own titles any more for PR purposes.

It should definitely be officially corrected though. That the only reason all of William's children are HRH Prince/ss is because of concern that George would be Georgina and not entitled to HRH whilst a younger brother *would* be.

That none of the Queen's other Great-grandchildren have titles and even her actual male line grandchildren are addressed as children of an Earl. It has nothing to do with singling Archie out for his heritage.

And makes them look obsessed with the titles they claim don't matter.

The Queen and Prince Philip were not behind "concerns" about the colour of Archie's skin, says Oprah Winfrey.

The talk show host said Prince Harry had insisted she tell people his grandmother and grandfather were not involved.

https://news.sky.com/story/queen-an...omments-about-colour-of-archies-skin-12239751

Now he says it. After giving people hours to throw his elderly grandparents under the bus. How thoughtful of him. And-yes- I saw on social media that it must have been Philip. And suggested here.

I really don’t buy that this happened the way the Sussexes said it did anyway. If anything was even said at all.

I haven't seen the interview , I doubt I will , but I have seen /heard 'snippets ' on news programs. I don't understand how Harry can say he has been 'cut off financially ', when they wanted to be financially independent ???

It won't be something they have to worry about for a while, but I hope by the time the next royal relationship reaches engagement stage, the BRF has developed a concrete, non-negotiable, non-arguable process for onboarding would-be royal spouses.

I can't help but feel so much of this could have been prevented if there had simply been more preparation and adjustment time. Kate and Sophie both had it - Meghan should have had it as well.

And I make no claims as to who was to blame for her not having it. Sadly, it is water under the bridge now...

Oh, so their office did try to stop the stories from coming out. More lies, lies, lies...

We don't know what happened, who said it and what exactly was said, but is it possible that Harry simply didn't understand genuine concern coming from someone? Something along the lines of William saying he would be nervous if one of his children were gay, but he would support them either way, he's just worried because of the added pressure.

Or it's simply something they made up, because they wanted to play the race card. I don't know. It just... the more people analyze the interview, the more things simply does not make sense or are completely untrue.

It could also have been mere, harmless speculation about whom the baby would look like, the mom or the dad. I can see how Harry or Meghan can turn it all about the race/colour. They've done so in the past.

Last edited:
There seems to be a lot of curiosity and sympathy for these two on Social Media with many young people particularly questioning the validity and purpose of the Monarchy. Sadly in today's digital age it is so easy to influence consumers with a narrative. I think this is an incredibly dangerous moment for the Monarchy and something must be done to refute these outrageous lies that they are peddling.

Did H say that Charles started to refuse to take his calls? I'm surprised because I think that Charles was always too indulgent with them.. esp Harry.. but evidently, even C got fed up with being pestered...Sounds like H had a hissy fit when the Bank of Dad closed down?

I am surprised too. My take has always been that Charles was too worried about his children liking him, which is why he was not a disciplinarian. I can't believe it was just about money though. Obviously, he funded Harry for a while and the people of Canada paid the security bill for a while. How long should a person who is a multimillionaire and not working for anyone expect others to pay his bills?

There seems to be a lot of curiosity and sympathy for these two on Social Media with many young people particularly questioning the validity and purpose of the Monarchy. Sadly in today's digital age it is so easy to influence consumers with a narrative. I think this is an incredibly dangerous moment for the Monarchy and something must be done to refute these outrageous lies that they are peddling.

It really isn't. Give it a week. People will forget it. There's a lot going on in the world for anyone to fixate on this.

At this point that would only be playing into their narrative and I doubt the Queen actually wants to do that for a number of reasons.

I'm surprised (but not really) though that Harry and Meghan didn't take the opportunity to say that they weren't going to use their own titles any more for PR purposes.

It should definitely be officially corrected though. That the only reason all of William's children are HRH Prince/ss is because of concern that George would be Georgina and not entitled to HRH whilst a younger brother *would* be.

That none of the Queen's other Great-grandchildren have titles and even her actual male line grandchildren are addressed as children of an Earl. It has nothing to do with singling Archie out for his heritage.

And makes them look obsessed with the titles they claim don't matter.

There's a problem leaving someone who resents your family in the line of succession. IDK if they play into their narrative. Remove the title and he should be axed from the line of succession. Moving forward - Archie and their kids should not have titles since they don't want to be part of the royal family and they have slandered the Royal Family.

It really isn't. Give it a week. People will forget it. There's a lot going on in the world for anyone to fixate on this.

Course they will and everything with the royal famy tends to be an inigition of anger against them.and then with time people have a more balanced view.

I mean even Diana. Panorama, the book, her death. People hated the royal family but time moved on a rare picture of her was reached. And they are not Diana.

I read that the day after the abdication that Wallis woke up to find him looking at her going: what are we going to do today? And in that instance she saw her future.

Harry...similar I can see. I probably would have refused to take his calls too to protect my own well being. I have refused to take calls because call was too much.

I rather think the "former friend of Harry's mum" who becaem a confidante was Fergie. And she helped Meghan with trying to come to terms with the adversary she was shown by some members of the staff. Like most of Sarah's projects (apart from her daughters) this one didn't work out as well.

I think it's name dropping, "see how close I was with the royals"

Course they will and everything with the royal famy tends to be an inigition of anger against them.and then with time people have a more balanced view.

I mean even Diana. Panorama, the book, her death. People hated the royal family but time moved on a rare picture of her was reached. And they are not Diana.

I read that the day after the abdication that Wallis woke up to find him looking at her going: what are we going to do today? And in that instance she saw her future.

Harry...similar I can see. I probably would have refused to take his calls too to protect my own well being. I have refused to take calls because call was too much.

@Bold: One documentary made a good point about how even during the time of Diana's death people wanted to see MORE of the royalty (Where's our Queen!?), and not less of it.

[...]

I wonder how much longer they'll drag this out. I can see others wanting interviews and offering them money.

All this while Harry claims to love his Grandmother :whistling:

And yeah it was obviously Fergie because we know how close Harry/Fergie are. But let's be real the way they announced their pregnancy at Eugenie's wedding was crappy. Meghan claimed to know Eugenie lol before (Not buying this) maybe she heard of her or seen her at someone's inner circle.

I do think the Royal Family has to respond.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm.

First of all, I didn't see the interview, so I wish to thank all of you for your comments and informative thoughts which helped me get the general idea of the interview.

I am left with one question: If they wanted privacy, why didn't they move to a farm in Idaho and raise chickens instead of going on Oprah?

This privacy thing makes no sense to me.

Because they NEVER wanted privacy in the first place.

The firestorm is going to calm down but the damage will be lasting. This issue will be raised whenever there is a major milestone for the royal family. For example, for next year's jubilee, there will be a lot of discussion about how and whether Meghan and Harry will take part and clips of this interview will resurface.

I don't understand the purpose or what this was supposed to accomplish. It can't be undone. I think his family will forgive him but the scars will remain.

[...]

I want to point out that Meghan said she wanted to go somewhere to get help. They may have said no but ai can see why. The place would have been bombarded. That is different from saying no to help someone could have been hir2d to see her daily I am sure.

Archie should never be a Prince...and would not have been at birth.

Whether we are team believer or team sceptic no conclusion ever answers all the phenomena that occur. And when we think we know all we have is doubt.

I believe her perspective. But I dont necessarily now believe that that perspective is anywhere near the truth.she may have asked to go somewhere to retain her mental health. Be told no but offered mabynother options. But all she heard was no and freaked out.

One thing I am sure of she shouldnt have reported something third hand. You should never repeat what someone tells you ever.

Meghan's claim that she was suicidal while pregnant and was denied help is very serious, and I hope the UK press probes that further as it requires clarification.

One thing that bothers me though is that, while H&M make serious allegations like the suicide claim, they also say other things which, quite frankly, look absurd , narcissistic or paranoid like implying that Archie not getting a title he was never entitled to was somehow linked to the fact that he is biracial; or suggesting the RF was scared of Meghan's star power (and how she was fabulous at the job) and was afraid she might become a new Diana.

I haven't seen the interview , I doubt I will , but I have seen /heard 'snippets ' on news programs. I don't understand how Harry can say he has been 'cut off financially ', when they wanted to be financially independent ???

It appears that they can't keep up with their own lies, they really should pick a narrative and stick with it.

There's a problem leaving someone who resents your family in the line of succession. IDK if they play into their narrative. Remove the title and he should be axed from the line of succession. Moving forward - Archie and their kids should not have titles since they don't want to be part of the royal family and they have slandered the Royal Family.

It might be time for the UK to introduce a residency requirement, similar to what Denmark has. Kids have to be raised and educated in the country to be included in the succession.

Because they wanted to be financially independend when and how it fit them? Of course with their security bill covered by someone else, be it British or Canadian people, because that's how they imagined things.

It could also have been mere, harmless speculation about whom the baby would look like, the mom or the dad. I can see how Harry or Meghan can turn it all about the race/colour. They've done so in the past.
Or that. By judging Harry's reaction to that question, it might've looked like that, then Meghan overreacted when he said it to her, he didn't want to sound insensitive by correcting here and now we have this deadly offense on our hands. Lord...

Harry reminds me more of John Lennon than anybody else. How he went from being a charming, affable Beatle boy to dissing Beatles at every point after he met Yoko. He became angry and nasty, all the Beatle charm was gone.

watching it right now.
so, she really dared to attack Kate-wow, [...] when O. asks if Kate supported etc her and the pictures from wimbledon look like....
M. doesnt say simply :yes. but she says, things often look different from what they are.......
and then this story about Kate making her cry, though Kate is a good person-aha!?
Wow, this is really really -without words-

Let's see if HM still insists they are loved members of the family. [...]

The race card- any intelligent adult should see through this poor strategy.

Meghan tries to act Diana, it is so obvious, but poor. Not sure if Harry is in to this consciously or just knodding to everything Meghan wants (Meghan gets?)
Suicidal thoughts while being pregnant, all this..... disgusting.
Rumours without substances, talking about who?, when?, what?.....

I really don't care if some US people try to get away rom their country's big troubles, not knowing much about european culture or british monarchy itself anyway, but any other
especially european people should and will just ignore [...]

That is not going to happen. Meghan's favorability rating in the UK (before this interview) was -14. William's is +65. the Queen's is +64 and Kate's is +57.

More significantly, mainstream politicians in the UK don't want to abolish the monarchy because the Queen is a ceremonial, powerless figurehead and, replacing her with an elected President, even if he/she is more like the President of Ireland than the POTUS, would risk taking power away from the Prime Minister and the cabinet.

Some Commonwealth realms, most notably Australia and New Zealand, have strong republican movements supported by at least one mainstream party, and may well become republics during Charles' reign. In the UK, or even in Canada, there isn't really much mainstreamt support for a republic, so I don't expect significant changes in the near future.

Agreed. British public never seemed to like Meghan much anyway. Even Trump was praised by the Guardian readers when he told them to pay for their own security.

This was all about getting American public on their side coz they seemed to have angered them as well when they decided to tell whom they should be voting for. Harry looked SO uncomfortable in that video. Ugh.

Last edited:
Agreed. British public never seemed to like Meghan much anyway. Even Trump was praised by the Guardian readers when he told them to pay for their own security.

This was all about getting American public on their side coz they seemed to have angered them as well when they decided to tell whom they should be voting for. Harry looked SO uncomfortable in that video. Ugh.

I think the British public were willing to accept Meghan as they were happy for Harry and hoped everything would work out well for them. However, I do think that there was an underlying suspicion of her motives and authenticity which her behaviour culminating in this interview has confirmed.

The firestorm is going to calm down but the damage will be lasting. This issue will be raised whenever there is a major milestone for the royal family. For example, for next year's jubilee, there will be a lot of discussion about how and whether Meghan and Harry will take part and clips of this interview will resurface.

I don't understand the purpose or what this was supposed to accomplish. It can't be undone. I think his family will forgive him but the scars will remain.

I don't think Philip will forgive him and Meghan will definitely forever be on the outs. He never forgave Sarah for what she did. I don't know about the rest of them. If Charles was already to the point where he wasn't taking Harry's calls then it might be a long hard road back. Sadly there are somethings you can't come back from.

Boris Johnson is holding a press conference at 4pm, because this is the day of the first stage of relaxing restrictions - schools have reopened, and people are now able to meet a friend outdoors. I can't imagine he's very pleased that all this is happening at the same time, but reporters are bound to bring it up and he's then going to be in a difficult position - I assume he'll respond with something along the lines of "Racism is unacceptable". The Archbishop of Canterbury hasn't said anything, and I doubt he will.

I think including a residency requirement would be awkward, because it'd look like it was directed at Archie. None of this mess is his fault. He's just an innocent little kid who's going to grow up knowing that his parents had a very public falling out with his maternal grandfather and then slagged his paternal family off on the world's most-watched TV talk show. Which is rather a shame.

Regarding the allegation that a family member made a comment about what "color" their children's skin would be:

I believe the comment was made.

My mother is biracial (half Chinese, half Welsh/English) and I strongly resemble her, and when I married a white man, both my mother and mother-in-law openly speculated "how much" of my maternal ancestry would "come out" in our kids.

I don't say this to justify anything, but to explain that I believe it because I think many people think it's a very acceptable topic to discuss. I don't think people are aware of how hurtful it is. The first question my mom had when I called with each of my babies being born was "What color hair? What do the eyes look like?" (I will say my mother-in-law showed more restraint.)

watching it right now.
so, she really dared to attack Kate-wow, how evil. when O. asks if Kate supported etc her and the pictures from wimbledon look like....
M. doesnt say simply :yes. but she says, things often look different from what they are.......
and then this story about Kate making her cry, though Kate is a good person-aha!?
Wow, this is really really -without words-

Let's see if HM still insists they are loved members of the family. Which would proof a lot of masochism.

The race card- any intelligent adult should see through this poor strategy.

Meghan tries to act Diana, it is so obvious, but poor. Not sure if Harry is in to this consciously or just knodding to everything Meghan wants (Meghan gets?)
Suicidal thoughts while being pregnant, all this..... disgusting.
Rumours without substances, talking about who?, when?, what?.....

I really don't care if some US people try to get away rom their country's big troubles, not knowing much about european culture or british monarchy itself anyway, but any other
especially european people should and will just ignore this little brats.

You can be a good person and still sometimes do a crappy thing in the moment.

I really think much of what happened to H and M was through the courtiers.

I think the British public were willing to accept Meghan as they were happy for Harry and hoped everything would work out well for them. However, I do think that there was an underlying suspicion of her motives and authenticity which her behaviour culminating in this interview has confirmed.

It all began with the climate change preaching, and taking the private jet immediately after. Their hypocrisy was laid bare for everyone to see.

Perhaps this is one of those parsing things? Like Harry wanted to be financially independent from the British taxpayers and their expectations but sincerely thought dad would keep giving him money and pay for security.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom