The Duke & Duchess of Sussex with Oprah II - Interview, March 7th-9th 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMHO, which was confirmed by Meghan's own words yesterday, she needed more time. As was claimed by many posters since the news of the engagement, a year or two in UK before the engagement would do her a world of good. She had absolutely no idea how the BRF works, how the day-to-day work looks like, how familial relations are, she had no support system in place. And how could she, she was engaged and jumped into the royal work a month after moving to UK. At that point they were in a serious relationship for a year, and they were doing things long distance. Had they given this more time, she would know what she was getting into.

And before I'm attacked, yes, I think there is a lot that the palace, and by that I mean the Sussexes/Cambridges offices did wrong. I understand why no one would think to lead a 35-year old former actress by hand, but they both clearly needed more support in place. Though we will never know if the advice and support was there, they just weren't willing to take it and use it, as it didn't fit their views. Meghan once claimed she ignored her friends' advice, so why not do the same with palace officials?

My guess is they didn’t want or like the advice they were given, as you suggested.

And if they didn’t get EXACTLY what they wanted, how they wanted it....that translated to no support at all.

As you said, Meghan ignored her own friends advice.

While it seems like Americans, particularly celebrities and the media, are rallying around her and calling for the abolishment of the monarchy,

This is one thing that annoys the heck out of me about my country. What right do we have to say about how anyone should run their country? If the British people were saying we should get rid of our Constitution and have a Parliamentary system with a monarchy Americans would be up in arms. Yet somehow we feel we're entitled to tell others how to run their countries all because as it turns out some people aren't suited to be royal?

Some people aren't suited to be in films but I don't suggest burning down the entire film industry.

I don't really think there was institutional racism against Meghan in the family. I just think it was different than she thought it would be. I also firmly believe she thought she'd be able to step in and they'd change the family to suite her. When they didn't she and Harry left. I also think they thought the royals would eventually take them back and are now shocked, bitter and angry that hasn't happened and seemingly never will. This interview is their payback.

The thing I find most extraordinary is Harry seems to think he'll be able to mend bridges. Surely he can't be that naïve. Maybe he sees this as a lesser faux pas than what Edward VIII did? I think he's horribly miscalculated.

Last edited:
Catherine seems very grounded and to have done quite well marrying into the BRF. So- IMO- that right there says a lot about Meghan’s version of events.

Given that Harry and Meghan couldn’t get their stories straight on the race issue....that just makes me wonder what else was off about their story. Like all of it. If race came up at all- I’d about bet what was actually said and meant were pretty different than what the Sussexes said. They had to bring up race as a selling point of this interview.

I don’t buy for one second that Meghan was denied mental health help. We know for a fact Harry has gotten some. Not to mention how much the family talks about it.

I can see Charles needing a time out from Harry after his behavior. Harry sounds very entitled- and likely someone difficult to have a calm conversion with once he sets mind to something. He’s bitter over a year later.

Kate was not faced with William being called a "race traitor" for marrying her. Psychos were not threatening her online because she didn't have fair skin and blue eyes. I have seen some of the comments of these cockroaches on message boards.

They are not to be believed tbh.

And also don't forget. Kate had an entire decade to apprentice.:cool:

ICAM about the PoW needing a Harry break. He has always struck me as spoiled and entitled.

The skin colour comment was a rotten thing to say. Either don't mention it at all or say the person's name to give them the right to reply otherwise it casts a shadow over the whole family. I can't believe that Harry sat there and allowed Meghan to drag his family through the mud like this. She has no relationship with her own relatives, outwith her mother, and she is pretty much making sure he won't with his now either.

Catherine seems very grounded and to have done quite well marrying into the BRF. So- IMO- that right there says a lot about Meghan’s version of events.

I can see Charles needing a time out from Harry after his behavior. Harry sounds very entitled- and likely someone difficult to have a calm conversion with once he sets mind to something. He’s bitter over a year later.

Did H say that Charles started to refuse to take his calls? I'm surprised because I think that Charles was always too indulgent with them.. esp Harry.. but evidently, even C got fed up with being pestered...Sounds like H had a hissy fit when the Bank of Dad closed down?

A few reporters have weighed in on the claims from Harry and Meghan that the press team didn’t defend them.

@byEmilyAndrews: Meghan says the press team didn’t defend her when “things weren’t true.” That is just not right. The press team with whom I interacted defended them again & again & again, told me things were wrong (so didn’t publish) & indeed tried to stop me when true.

@danwootton: In another new clip on CBS, Meghan tells Oprah the institution gave her only one chance to kill a media story (her dad Thomas’ pap pics scandal). That’s untrue. Communications staff for Buckingham Palace tried to stop many stories running on her behalf, some of which were true.

Last edited:
The skin colour comment was a rotten thing to say. Either don't mention it at all or say the person's name to give them the right to reply otherwise it casts a shadow over the whole family. I can't believe that Harry sat there and allowed Meghan to drag his family through the mud like this. She has no relationship with her own relatives, outwith her mother, and she is pretty much making sure he won't with his now either.
My thoughts exactly. She had only her mother at her wedding, now she has alienated Harry's whole family from him. Shocking

If they can't say the name, I am inclined to believe it is a lie. Would they lie? Of course they would because no one can contradict them without a name.

Wallis Simpson.. The nazi loving Wallis?
Meghna isn't all that, but she sure as hell isn't as bad as a literal Nazi.

I will give you that Meghan isn't a Nazi. At the same time David and Wallis didn't leave and then proceeded to publicly throw the entire Royal Family under the bus. So while Wallis did have her flaws and, I can't believe I'm saying this because I am no Wallis fan, but yes, I do think in this instance she and Edward VIII had more class.

It's done. We survived. I think this interview has done more damage than I thought it would.

1. It's always "ME ME ME ME ME" with those two. Never about serving, never about duty, never about anyone other than themselves.

2. I do not believe anyone in the palace turned down a pregnant woman with suicidal thoughts asking for help. Like WTF, here's the Oscar and Pinocchio nose.

3. They are not as stable financially as I thought - or their lifestyle is costing them much more than they can afford.

Yes.
Last night I couldn't sleep and I watched some extracts taken from the interview. It was like watching a bad soap opera (culebrón we call it here). The falsehood, the bad acting and the previous arrangement with the interviewer were obvious. I suppose she couldn't get what she wanted and now is trying to make the most damage she can.
Today is the Women's Day. We have millons of women in the world who really suffer, who try to make the best for their family and the society. Women that have real reasons to complain and don't. They work and fight for a better world, against racism, against violence, against poverty. To watch and hear MM saying "she has a voice and was silenced" from her place of privilege and hipocrisy is hard to do today.

I hope this comment will remain here for a while. I don't usually post and the last time I wrote something of this sort (wasn't offensive at all, this one is harder) it was deleted. Now I'm reading very good and smart posts from other participants and I hope that will allow mine to stay.

Wallis Simpson.. The nazi loving Wallis?

Meghna isn't all that, but she sure as hell isn't as bad as a literal Nazi.

In that way- of course not.

But Wallis didn’t get on the radio or tv and do what Meghan just did. From that POV- yes- Wallis looks better IMO.

This might be a good theory behind that. Maybe after hearing that Archie will not receive royal protection, they wanted the rules bent and him to be given the royal title - which he was not.

But also... Beatrice, Eugenie, Peter, Zara, Louise or James, Viscount Severn do not have protection either and they're completely fine.

Their mothers aren’t so much in the public eye and reviled by so many, nor are they subject to racist threats.

Except Princess Anne is a working Royal and Prince Andrew was too.

My problem is she implying she was going to commit suicide, but then attending Royal events the same night. This is in her mind and no one can contradict it. She could have said it to Harry to get him to leave.

I will give you that Meghan isn't a Nazi. At the same time David and Wallis didn't leave and then proceeded to publicly throw the entire Royal Family under the bus. So while Wallis did have her flaws and, I can't believe I'm saying this because I am no Wallis fan, but yes, I do think in this instance she and Edward VIII had more class.

There are stories that the reason Edward was made Governor of the Bahamas during the war is that he was conspiring with the Reich to be a puppet king in the event of a Nazi invasion (which would probably have resulted in his brother and nieces' deaths) and they had to get them right out of the way.

I think a lot of this interview is a deliberately misleading and some outright false statements mixed in with some genuine grievances with the intent of taking a flamethrower to "The Firm" because they didn't get what they want but they aren't yet as bad as those two.

My thoughts exactly. She had only her mother at her wedding, now she has alienated Harry's whole family from him. Shocking
Sounds like Harry’s family isn’t doing much to support his marriage and his child. It honestly sounds like a pretty toxic situation, one that Harry had no say in being born into.

I haven't and won't watch it but please correct me if I am wrong:

The only real allegation of the royal family's racism is the confused story about the unnamed family member who supposedly speculated on what there children would look like. - I find it hard to believe this happened. If Harry did look away when he was asked about it, it could be that he was reacting to being caught in a lie.

Most of their complaints were that the family wasn't supportive enough and didn't understand understand when Harry tried to teach them about racism. If Harry wants to relinquish the advantages he has due to white privilege, he can do so at anytime. They can donate their ill gotten gains to scholarship programs for those in need.

Meghan wouldn't correct inaccurate stories about her but would have for others. I don't think that is true. I think the palace comms people felt that the issue of who made whom cry was not important in the grand scheme of things. The reason for that policy is that if the palace starts disputing untrue stories about Meghan, they have to start denying all untrue stories because if they don't, the media will say that the palace's silence on a particular story is a confirmation. That would start the process of the tabloids making up all sorts of stories and seeing what sticks. I think that would have been worse for Meghan and Harry.

Worst of all, now that Meghan and Harry have spread the story about the unnamed royal, there media speculation about who it was and all senior royals are under suspicion. So Meghan, who was the victim of untrue stories, has made the royals who didn't say it (if anyone did) the subject of untrue stories. Good job, Meghan. As an aside, one poster said that Harry was surprised when Oprah asked about this and looked away. If that is true, could his body language indicate that he was caught in a lie?

With respect to Meghan's mental health. I am very sympathetic. She was pregnant, newly married, had to relocate, in a completely new lifestyle and feeling vulnerable. But I don't buy her story. She was prevented from going out because of the staff? Where was her supposedly supportive, loving husband? He didn't have that many engagements away from her. Why didn't he arrange for them to get out? Which leads to why didn't he get his wife help? He said that he didn't want to talk to his family about it because he was ashamed, but how did that stop him from calling a mental health expert to help his suicidal wife.

Finally, am I supposed to feel sorry for a man who received more than $20 million (I can't remember the exact amount) from his mother's settlement with Charles because he had to start paying his own bills? Do they realize that many people are facing financial ruin because of the pandemic. If they don't have enough money, sell the mansion, buy a more modest house in a gated community with a good security system and pay for private security when you go out. A lot of celebrities with less money do just that.

I'm really surprised at their issues about the titles, security and race. Doesn't Harry know how things work?

Since 1917 great-grandchildren of the monarch don't get titles, 4 of his cousins don't have titles and Meghan&Harry said that THEY didn't accept the titles for Archie because they want him to have a "normal life". What's up with that? We all know this rule, did they want archie to be a lord/viscount/earl? or they refused those titles because they wanted him to be a prince?

Also, Harry's cousins and their kids don't have paid security and if they do, their parents pay for it. Did they want Charles to pay for their security in Canada/USA?

Has it been mentioned how the press has holiday parties at the Palace? Harry didn't really seem to take the bait on that and build upon it and the few reporters I saw on Twitter said they have never been invited to a party.

Their mothers aren’t so much in the public eye and reviled by so many, nor are they subject to racist threats.

Agreed. Harry has legitimate concerns for his family's safety but the other royals do not have as much money as Harry and Meghan do.

The Duke & Duchess of Sussex - Interview with Oprah March 2021

Kate was not faced with William being called a "race traitor" for marrying her. Psychos were not threatening her online because she didn't have fair skin and blue eyes. I have seen some of the comments of these cockroaches on message boards.

They are not to be believed tbh.

And also don't forget. Kate had an entire decade to apprentice.[emoji41]

ICAM about the PoW needing a Harry break. He has always struck me as spoiled and entitled.

No one forced Meghan to read everything that was said about her. She could have- and should have- ignored it IMO. It was garbage. There are a lot of sick people online. We see that every day. Meghan claimed she could block out the noise. Clearly not. Lots of celebrities don’t read what’s written about them. Which is smart.

Kate had a lot of time to adapt, agreed. She chose that path. Meghan made her own choices. I’m not going to feel sorry for Meghan that she chose- regardless of why- to jump in the way she did. (She did it across the board, and she didn’t have to.) Especially if she’s going to whine and cry about it now. Best I can tell, Meghan did EXACTLY what she wanted- and it didn’t work out.

Harry- to me anyway- had an image of being down to earth, one of the guys. When that website went live- I saw a lot of cracks. It’s only gone downhill from there.

Last edited:
There are headlines in America about Archie's title and mixed race. This is exactly what Meghan implied. It is time to remove the Sussex title.

A few reporters have weighed in on the claims from Harry and Meghan that the press team didn’t defend them.

@byEmilyAndrews: Meghan says the press team didn’t defend her when “things weren’t true.” That is just not right. The press team with whom I interacted defended them again & again & again, told me things were wrong (so didn’t publish) & indeed tried to stop me when true.

@danwootton: In another new clip on CBS, Meghan tells Oprah the institution gave her only one chance to kill a media story (her dad Thomas’ pap pics scandal). That’s untrue. Communications staff for Buckingham Palace tried to stop many stories running on her behalf, some of which were true.

I think her concern is that if the comms people couldn't keep the media from printing something, they should have publicly denied it. That is not how the royal family operates.

And also don't forget. Kate had an entire decade to apprentice.:cool:

From what I understand many people told Harry and Meghan they were going to fast and to take more time before they got married, including William. Clearly Harry and Meghan chose not to listen to anyone. In retrospect, it seems clear all that advice was correct. It would be easy to say it's not because H&M are still married but given the overall results they probably should have waited longer.

O to be a fly on the wall at the Kensington Palace or the Clarence House! :lol:

Oh, so their office did try to stop the stories from coming out. More lies, lies, lies...
I haven't and won't watch it but please correct me if I am wrong:

The only real allegation of the royal family's racism is the confused story about the unnamed family member who supposedly speculated on what there children would look like. - I find it hard to believe this happened. If Harry did look away when he was asked about it, it could be that he was reacting to being caught in a lie.
We don't know what happened, who said it and what exactly was said, but is it possible that Harry simply didn't understand genuine concern coming from someone? Something along the lines of William saying he would be nervous if one of his children were gay, but he would support them either way, he's just worried because of the added pressure.

Or it's simply something they made up, because they wanted to play the race card. I don't know. It just... the more people analyze the interview, the more things simply does not make sense or are completely untrue.

I want to point out that Meghan said she wanted to go somewhere to get help. They may have said no but ai can see why. The place would have been bombarded. That is different from saying no to help someone could have been hir2d to see her daily I am sure.

Archie should never be a Prince...and would not have been at birth.

Whether we are team believer or team sceptic no conclusion ever answers all the phenomena that occur. And when we think we know all we have is doubt.

I believe her perspective. But I dont necessarily now believe that that perspective is anywhere near the truth.she may have asked to go somewhere to retain her mental health. Be told no but offered mabynother options. But all she heard was no and freaked out.

One thing I am sure of she shouldnt have reported something third hand. You should never repeat what someone tells you ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom