The Duke & Duchess of Sussex with Oprah II - Interview, March 7th-9th 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What are you saying? The security concern was not made up. Didn't you listen to what Harry said? His and his family's RPO security was pulled in Canada at a time when they did not have any plans in place. They had hoped initially to be able to live part-time in Canada, and still represent the Crown in some fashion. None of that worked out. Why are you saying that the security concern was made up? There were definite threats to their security, including death threats they had faced since the time of their marriage.

Honestly, they should have thought about all of this and had these conversations with Charles and the Queen before they made their "half in-half out" announcement in Jan 2020. Most folks around here said that at the time and have continued to maintain that position. It didn't work out because they thought they could, essentially, have their cake and eat it too. Why they didn't talk to Charles or the Queen beforehand, who knows? Maybe they thought they could force the BRF into giving in and, in that regard, it certainly didn't "work out". Whose fault is that? Seems to me that, ultimately, it's Harry's fault because he, clearly, didn't understand or accept his position within the BRF. It seems very obvious that Harry (and Meghan as a consequence of her marriage to him) thought he was not expendable. Guess he was wrong.

What next after a 'devastating' interview
Jonny Dymond

BBC royal correspondent

Meghan and Harry have upended the narrative created by Britain’s bestselling newspapers. They have revealed the terrible strains inside the palace. They have drawn a picture of unfeeling individuals lost in an uncaring institution. They have spoken of racism within the Royal Family.

This was a devastating interview. But Harry describing his brother and father as ‘trapped’, and Meghan revealing that she repeatedly sought help within the palace only to be rebuffed, is a body blow to the institution.

It’s not at all clear if and how the palace will respond. Many of the revelations are so personal that getting any reaction seems unlikely. The Queen has made clear repeatedly the affection in which the couple are still held.

As for the newspapers that the couple so despise - will they change their tune? It is not in their nature.

There were pages of bile in some Sunday newspapers prior to the interview. Meghan and Harry have given up on getting a fair hearing from many of the most popular publications. It seems highly unlikely that they will see anything published that will make them change their minds.

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/uk-56271580

The whole time I was thinking, Meghan is so happy with this interview. I feel she wants to be the one to bring down the Monarchy. :whistling:

Heaven knows what went on behind closed doors up to and including their exit...then knowing they were about to give an interview...
There’s a part of me that can’t help but think the Queen, father and brother aren’t as surprised or shocked at their behavior...JMO. Looking back at some pictures I see a strain on many a face. It’s sad

My question is, if they were so upset about Archie not having an HRH Prince title... why did they style him with nothing at all? Why not go with Earl of Dumbarton, which they could have easily used? That just strikes as an odd argument for me.

At first I thought the royal family had to say something but now I think it's best if they don't. I think it far better if they just somehow come out and show themselves as caring and loving towards one another and content in their position.

My question is, if they were so upset about Archie not having an HRH Prince title... why did they style him with nothing at all? Why not go with Earl of Dumbarton, which they could have easily used? That just strikes as an odd argument for me.

That's what it puzzles me as well. Archie could have also alternatively styled as Lord Archie Mountbatten-Windsor (as great-grandchildren of the monarch through male-line like Lord Frederick Windsor or son of a Royal Duke) if Harry and Meghan does not like Earl of Dumbarton

The whole time I was thinking, Meghan is so happy with this interview. I feel she wants to be the one to bring down the Monarchy. :whistling:

It survived the abdication, it survived the Annus Horribilis, it survived Diana's death, it will survive this.

If the monarchy ends, it will not be because one thing or person brings it down, but because the people of the UK collectively decide it's time to do something different. I personally think that day is going to come, but not for a while yet.

The issue of the titles is very interesting. It looks like a lot of stories were put out suggesting that it was M&H who did not want to give Archie a title, when apparently they were told that Archie wouldn't be titled. So that means even when Charles took the throne, Archie was not expected to become HRH Prince, as it is currently set in the law. So when Charles accedes to the throne, he will have to issue a new LP to reflect this change. I didn't catch whether it was stated that Archie wouldn't even receive the entitled Lord or Earl Dumbarton courtesy title. This is frankly a topic that most Americans don't understand anyway. That would be why Oprah couldn't ask that kind of follow-up question. She has no idea.

Had the Queen not stepped in, only George would have had the HRH Prince title. Charlotte and Louis would have had to wait until Charles was King to become HRH/Princess/Prince. But the Queen issued new LPs specifically for them.

It all looks like Harry & Meghan simply fell deeply in love, and thought it would work out in the long term within the firm. They truly wanted to do the work and represent the monarchy. Although it appeared early on as if there might be problems (since the discussion of what children might look like was put to Harry before he & Meghan were even married). This is something that's going to be discussed and dissected for a long time to come, no matter how the U.K. media tries to sweep it all away or confuse what was said.

Totally! Edward and Sophie's son is known as James, Viscount Severn. I've never even seen him referred to as James Mountbatten-Windsor. H&M could easily have done the same thing with Archie.

The Duke & Duchess of Sussex - Interview with Oprah March 2021

You’re asking them to make sense and make thoughtful decisions. I haven’t seen much evidence of those qualities from either one of them. My guess? They didn’t get their way and, having a temper tantrum on the subject, decided to go with nothing at all.

It survived the abdication, it survived the Annus Horribilis, it survived Diana's death, it will survive this.

If the monarchy ends, it will not be because one thing or person brings it down, but because the people of the UK collectively decide it's time to do something different. I personally think that day is going to come, but not for a while yet.

Exactly, if the monarchy can survived, abdication, Annus Horribilis and Diana's death, I don't see why the Monarchy won't survive.

The civil way a Monarchy could end (i.e. The Sovereign is no longer the head of state of United Kingdom) is through a referendum. The current Conservative government are mostly monarchist and have no interest in putting out another referendum (after the last one in 2016). Unless Labour come into power by winning a general election and declare that they are the party of republicanism & will implement it, I think the Monarchy is safe.

Last edited:
Finding freedom <—> FREEDOM FOUND…period!

This interview was:
1. Warranted
2. Needed (cleared up a lot of untruths; Meghan Was the one MADE TO CRY:whistling:
3. Imperative
4. Informative (Oprah came prepared)
5. Grounded
6. Truthful (their truth)
7. Sad (Meghan was not protected)
8. Endearing (Harry took care of his immediate family)
9. Happy (it’s a baby sis for Archie:))
10. Freeing (everyone is entitled to speak their truth; HAPPY THEY SPOKE OUT)

Great job Oprah and thanks to Meghan and Harry for being candid…:flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
That's what it puzzles me as well. Archie could have also alternatively styled as Lord Archie Mountbatten-Windsor (as great-grandchildren of the monarch through male-line like Lord Frederick Windsor or son of a Royal Duke) if Harry and Meghan does not like Earl of Dumbarton

I can't help but thinking that they thought if they couldn't have the title they wanted ie Prince they'd just give him no title. As if somehow that would show everyone.

It just feels like everything else they've done.

At first I thought the royal family had to say something but now I think it's best if they don't. I think it far better if they just somehow come out and show themselves as caring and loving towards one another and content in their position.

I tend to agree with that.

This interview was:
1. Warranted
2. Needed (cleared up a lot of untruths; Meghan Was the one MADE TO CRY:whistling:
3. Imperative
4. Informative (Oprah came prepared)
5. Grounded
6. Truthful (their truth)
7. Sad (Meghan was not protected)
8. Endearing (Harry took care of his immediate family)
9. Happy (it’s a baby sis for Archie:))
10. Freeing (everyone is entitled to speak their truth; HAPPY THEY SPOKE OUT)

Great job Oprah and thanks to Meghan and Harry for being candid…:flowers:

Considering that Meghan lied about giving personal information to the authors of "Finding Freedom", we don't know if what she said was actually the truth.

Last edited by a moderator:

So go forward as if nothing at all has happened? Put a face on it and pretend? There clearly are and have always been unpleasant things that go on behind the scenes in the royal family.

Certainly, M&H did not attack any staff or family as someone in the firm appeared to expect. They were generous in their comments about family members and they did not speak badly of staff in any personal way. M&H were reticent in some respects, but they spoke about the truths of their experience, and that's all any of us can do. Are M&H perfect? No. Is anyone else in the royal firm perfect? No.

I can't help but thinking that they thought if they couldn't have the title they wanted ie Prince they'd just give him no title. As if somehow that would show everyone.

So much of what they've done feels like the actions of petulant toddlers rather than two adults approaching 40. It reminds me of a time where I wanted a whole cake but my mother said I could only have a slice... it wasn't what I wanted so I refused to eat any cake at all.

TRF always play the long game. With everything going on in the world, I doubt this will be news in a week’s time.

IMO, H&M want them to respond because they get to stay atop the news cycle that way. Because, let’s face it- how many times are they going to be able to give this kind of interview and still keep public interest?

Fame is fleeting, you’re a high profile working member of the BRF for a lot longer...

I was trying to say that, but you articulated it so much better.

So go forward as if nothing at all has happened? Put a face on it and pretend? There clearly are and have always been unpleasant things that go on behind the scenes in the royal family.

Certainly, M&H did not attack any staff or family as someone in the firm appeared to expect. They were generous in their comments about family members and they did not speak badly of staff in any personal way. M&H were reticent in some respects, but they spoke about the truths of their experience, and that's all any of us can do. Are M&H perfect? No. Is anyone else in the royal firm perfect? No.

I think the difference between us is you tend to believe 95% of what H&M say and I tend to think 85% of what they say is highly shaded by how they want the public to see them. So yes, I think the royal family shouldn't comment on it in public.

I don't want or need another war of the Wales. I personally think Harry has irrevocably cut himself off from his family who I do not see as trapped or heartless monsters. If you do then that's your prerogative.

This interview was a load of hooey. These two seem like delusional narcissists to me. In my own opinion she comes off as a liar and a phoney. And he as a spoiled man child who didn't get his way.

Agree and I’ll add, jealous and spiteful

Here's the thing about the "title" - first off, it's not a TITLE, it's a STYLE. He wasn't going to get the HRH style because he wasn't a male-line grandchild of the monarch.

The only reason that HM issued the 2012 LP to give the HRH style to all of William's kids was because of the Act of Succession legislation that was wending its way through the Commonwealth realms to implement absolute primogeniture. The Queen wanted to ensure that the heir to the crown, whether it was a boy or a girl, was styled as HRH from birth and the 1917 LP didn't do that - it was the eldest son of the eldest son of the POW that got HRH and the rest of the eldest son of the POW's kids were styled like other male-line great-grandchildren of the monarch.

If Harry & Meghan were so concerned with Archie having a style, as others have pointed out, they could have styled him Archie, Earl of Dumbarton or Lord Archie Mountbatten-Windsor.

What they have made clear, in this interview, is that they only care about the HRH style.

And I really don't get their problems with the security for Archie. Just when was he going to need his own security detail? He would have whatever security his parents had whenever he was with them. And if there was a time when they weren't with him, presumably he would be at Frogmore Cottage and have the standard security detail that the house has. Until he started preschool, what need would he have for any separate security from his parents? Preschool was a few years off for him, at that time, the Metropolitan Police might have reassessed the threat risk and determined he needed an RPO while he was at school, or not. But, really... When would their kid need his own security detail for the first few years of his life?

So much of what they've done feels like the actions of petulant toddlers rather than two adults approaching 40. It reminds me of a time where I wanted a whole cake but my mother said I could only have a slice... it wasn't what I wanted so I refused to eat any cake at all.

This is it EXACTLY! But I think this is how they've approached the whole situation.

Meghan is goading the RF into retaliating. I hope they don't fall for the bait so that she can continue playing the victim. How this so-called beautiful and happening actress was jailed in a tower, a la Rapunzel. N now the evil "them" are jealous of all the love she receives, hence the nasty attacks continue.

Please someone PM a transcript of their interview when an outlet publishes it, thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom