The Duke & Duchess of Sussex with Oprah II - Interview, March 7th-9th 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A shame. Harry has confirmed what was obvious to many for quite some time- his relationship with his father and brother is strained to the point of being non-existent. It seemed to cause him physical pain to discuss these relationships and he ducked the question about his brother twice before answering it on the third attempt.

Another thing that I didn't see mentioned: he bizarrely implied that his mother left him money because she "foresaw" the situation that unfolded.

She left money to both of them. Harry is truly a piece of work.

But let's be honest, backlash from who? Americans? It will be interesting to see how it plays tomorrow in Britain.

I can't imagine the UK public cares. But William and Kate may not be visiting America ever again.

I didn't take it as them trashing the family. They did not speak disparagingly of anyone- even when Oprah pressed for names- none were given.

I was a bit unsure, but now I am glad that they spoke their truth because clearly the palace was bent on having the press vilify Meghan by continuing to publish false stories about her.
I don't fault them for leaving - they were obviously unhappy. I don't understand why they needed to publicize their "truth." They have these huge deals, they have a beautiful child and another on the way. They can do what they want but why trash their family. What positive outcome can come from this interview. They will generate negative headlines for the royal family for a while but what do they gain from that?

I wouldn’t either. Harry doesn’t seem to have grasped the seriousness of what he’s done.

All I see is a horrific betrayal of his family and the institution they’ve devoted their lives to.

And I see jealousy

Speak for yourself. I predict that the ratings will be huge.

The British press has been eating them alive anyway so nothing has changed. I think this interview will opened up alot of people's eyes on how the British press operates

The ratings will be huge. I have no doubt. I never said that they wouldn't be.

That shouldn't be confused with people actually caring.

IDK strip those titles somehow.

I wouldn't care if they kept the titles if they just stopped with this kind of stuff. I mean it's a sad day when I feel like the Duke and Duchess of Windsor behaved better. I mean he might of complained a lot but he had the tact to do it in private. He didn't do it in any of his published interviews.

But I could see how stripping the titles just makes the BRF look more petty. So perhaps they just need to cut H&M off. I do wonder what Harry's going to do though since he's apparently gone through all of Diana's money and I don't foresee any money coming from his father or brother ever again. Harry might have to go get a job.

The American's will buy it because again their support stems from AA women who love that a "Black woman" married a Prince. Also American's are naïve on the Royal Family.

So what happens when this is over? Will they go into hiding forever?

I expect that, at least, Meghan is hoping for a rebuttal, so it can continue and get them another interview. Oprah already said that she will be back tomorrow with some thoughts of her own. I will watch and update.

:previous:
Meghan still receives royalties from film and television work, but that's probably only going to cover the bare necessities, not the security and the house and comfortable lifestyle Harry was accustomed to. And Meghan was not going to go back to acting which made her independently wealthy. That was a different life for Meghan, which she had given up. As Meghan said, their were a lot of losses. M&H's love has to be so strong to have gotten through all of this. Probably some forces were hoping their marriage wouldn't sustain in the face of all of this. As Harry told us, the money his mother left him is what largely helped to pay for security, and then the Netflix and Spotify deals helped them purchase the Montecito home most likely.

Interesting. With respect to finances, didn't Charles pay his bills and Harry lost financing that is giving to working royals. Is Harry complaining because Charles stopped paying his bills after the deal with Netflix?

If you were listening carefully, you would know that the chronology is the security and financing were cut off when they were still in Canada. Harry and Meghan did not have a plan in place. They had to do something about getting out of Canada, with no security or job prospects there, and the borders in danger of closing soon due to COVID. If they didn't have very good friends with means, they would have encountered a lot more difficulty making it together outside of the firm.

The firm obviously thought M&H wouldn't be successful outside the firm, and expected them, or at least Harry to come back. Two royal reporters actually tweeted that they were told by their palace sources this expectation about the firm hoping and expecting Harry would come back, even if alone. That was tweeted, and the tweets are available.

There were even cartoons at the time of Sussexit parodying M&H as not going to make it financially away from the firm.

Last edited:
Nonetheless, some of Meghan's accusations were very serious, especially that she was literally under house arrest, suffering from suicidal thoughts and was denied any help because she was not a "paid member of the Family" ?

Furthermore, the parts about the race issue were really damaging.
I agree these are serious accusations - i just don't believe they are factual. For example, being under house arrest: Other members of the royal family move around freely. There are pictures of Catherine out shopping and with her kids. Was Harry subject to house arrest too?

Denying her mental health counselling also rings false. Other members of the family, including Harry were able to get it. Even if payment was an issue, she had her own money.

With respect to race, if the other claims aren't accurate, it makes many of her complaints on race suspect.

Love how Harry assumes his brother and dad are trapped. Maybe they actually are happy? But nope goes right out to speak for them because of his narrative.

Or maybe, because they’re adults, William and Charles know that life is a series of compromises and trade offs, and that it’s usually more complex than feeling either totally happy or totally trapped. Harry and Meghan both showed some pretty adolescent thought processes tonight.

If you were listening carefully, you would know that the chronology is the security and financing were cut off when they were still in Canada. Harry and Meghan did not have a plan in place.

I wasn't able to watch the first part live - that is why I asked. I didn't want to start in the middle so I will watch it later.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know this. What is the point?
The point is, you said that Zara can't be compared to Harry (considering their lack of officially paid security), because she was never a working royal. Well, here's an example of a working royal couple who do not have the 24/7 security that Meghan and Harry were expecting.

Aren't they all broke? They all live and survive off tax payers- if that goes away they would be all broke ala Harry.

Well, Charles has his farms in Cornwall which make quite a good income and William has his inherence from Diana so not all their money comes from the tax payers. Harry has just gone through all his money from Diana which was millions.

Most of us knew what they were going to say, i.e.

1. That Meghan was "in danger" and that Harry had to take her out of the country "to save her".

2. That the RF and Firm are afraid of confronting the tabloid press.

3. That the Family became afraid of Meghan when they saw "how incredible she was" at the job and how she could turn into a new Diana, and that caused a change of attitude towards her (Harry even explicitly mentioned the Australia tour as a turning point).

4. That they genuinely wanted to stay and make things work, but it became unbearable for Meghan specifically. Furthermore, they never planned to have a commercial career in the US; they just need to make money because they were cut off financially and couldn't afford security.

Their fans will probably believe all of the above. Others will be more critical. Either way, considerable damage has been done already.

Last edited:
I wouldn't care if they kept the titles if they just stopped with this kind of stuff. I mean it's a sad day when I feel like the Duke and Duchess of Windsor behaved better. I mean he might of complained a lot but he had the tact to do it in private. He didn't do it in any of his published interviews.

But I could see how stripping the titles just makes the BRF look more petty. So perhaps they just need to cut H&M off. I do wonder what Harry's going to do though since he's apparently gone through all of Diana's money and I don't foresee any money coming from his father or brother ever again. Harry might have to go get a job.

What are you talking about? Harry and Meghan have a $25 million deal with Spotify and a $150 million deal with Netlfix.

Maybe I have my sarcasm meter turned off.

She left money to both of them. Harry is truly a piece of work.

Didn't he also get money from the Queen Mum? I think that she set up trust funds for all of her grandchildren and great-grandchildren except Charles and William because they would inherit the crown.

I'm the most sad for Harry and all the pain and disappointment he's had to suffer after finally finding the love of his life and during times which should have been the happiest for a young couple. This after the trauma he went through in his teens and twenties. There's only so much the psyche can take. I'm glad he was strong enough to overcome it all and assert himself. As he said, and I believe it's true, Diana was watching over him. Harry made the best decision for himself and his core family, after being loving and supporting to his relatives all of his life, despite the fraught problems of royal life. And he and Meghan still wanted to serve. It's all so complicated on so many levels.

I'm so glad they both found the courage and fortitude to come out on the other side. They have strong friendships which have also meant a lot during these difficulties. This goes to show that life is complicated for everyone underneath the surface.

I didn't take it as them trashing the family. They did not speak disparagingly of anyone- even when Oprah pressed for names- none were given.

I was a bit unsure, but now I am glad that they spoke their truth because clearly the palace was bent on having the press vilify Meghan by continuing to publish false stories about her.

So they care more about her public image than their own family? My experience is that complaining about your family and friends never ends well. It's usually better to work out disagreements privately.

Well, Charles has his farms in Cornwall which make quite a good income and William has his inherence from Diana so not all their money comes from the tax payers. Harry has just gone through all his money from Diana which was millions.

The family has private wealth, and I’d bet Harry and Meghan are fine, financially, they just don’t have enough to fund the lifestyle Harry is accustomed to and they both seem to feel they deserve.

As I remember, security was being paid for by Canadian taxpayers as it was the RCMP providing protection and not the Royal protection forces from the UK. The government decided to forgo paying for the security when taxpayers found out. So, I think that security was actually stopped being paid for the minute they left as 'senior' royals but was paid for by the Canadian government instead of the British one.

They always should have paid for their own protection imo as they were no longer working royals.

If Meghan is Little Mermaid then the "man in grey" is Sebastian and we all know how stressed the latter was throughout that whole movie just trying to deal with the incorrigible, stubbornness of the former.... ???

I can't imagine the UK public cares. But William and Kate may not be visiting America ever again.

Eh, they'll visit again eventually. I don't think it will be for a good many years - once the pandemic ends, they'll probably be hitting up the Commonwealth nations first - Canada, Australia, New Zealand, the Caribbean - and then Europe as well as Africa. They've been to the US a few times but there isn't a pressing need to visit the US in the next 3-5 years, perhaps a bit longer. Maybe in 7 years, they'll hit the Sussexes stomping grounds for the 2028 Olympics in LA.?

I agree these are serious accusations - i just don't believe they are factual. For example, being under house arrest: Other members of the royal family move around freely. There are pictures of Catherine out shopping and with her kids. Was Harry subject to house arrest too?

Denying her mental health counselling also rings false. Other members of the family, including Harry were able to get it. Even if payment was an issue, she had her own money.

With respect to race, if the other claims aren't accurate, it makes many of her complaints on race suspect.

Obviously, no one said 'house arrest.' Quite clearly, there's just not the same level of freedom if you are told that you can't take lunch with friends, and this or that is a problem, which means Meghan experienced some loneliness when Harry was away. That's understandable.

We do all remember what it was like for Diana, and the isolation and loneliness she felt. And Diana didn't have an attentive husband. Despite being a member of the aristocracy, Diana was so young when she married and even she had no idea of what it would truly be like on the inside.

In this whole saga of history repeating itself, I'm the most sad for Harry and all the pain and disappointment he's had to suffer after finally finding the love of his life and during times which should have been the happiest for a young couple. This after the trauma he went through in his teens and twenties. There's only so much the psyche can take. I'm glad he was strong enough to overcome it all and assert himself. As he said, and I believe it's true, Diana was watching over him. Harry made the best decision for himself and his core family, after being loving and supporting to his relatives all of his life, despite the fraught problems of royal life. And he and Meghan still wanted to serve. It's all so complicated on so many levels.

I'm so glad M&H both found the courage and fortitude to come out on the other side. They have strong friendships which have also meant a lot during these difficulties. This goes to show that life is complicated for everyone underneath the surface.

So they care more about her public image than their own family? My experience is that complaining about your family and friends never ends well. It's usually better to work out disagreements privately.

JMO...think they just want to be always in the limelight, sad really.

I guess now the Oprah interview is over with no more new updates from the BBC live reporting. There were at least 40,000 people viewing the live reporting page.

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/uk-56271580

Chris Ship has also live tweeted the whole Oprah's interview, if anyone is interested. Yes, he did stay up and watched the whole interview between 1-3am.

He did tweeted out that he had double espresso and watched the interview in his ITV's office next to the coffee machine.

Last edited:
The family has private wealth, and I’d bet Harry and Meghan are fine, financially, they just don’t have enough to fund the lifestyle Harry is accustomed to and they both seem to feel they deserve.

Yeah, I'm sure they're fine financially and have more money than most of us will ever dream of. Harry's just going to have to learn to live more modestly. And they're going to have to let stuff go like the security. I don't doubt this has been a huge change for him but life is change.

As I remember, security was being paid for by Canadian taxpayers as it was the RCMP providing protection and not the Royal protection forces from the UK. The government decided to forgo paying for the security when taxpayers found out. So, I think that security was actually stopped being paid for the minute they left as 'senior' royals but was paid for by the Canadian government instead of the British one.

They always should have paid for their own protection imo as they were no longer working royals.
Oh yes, I forgot about that one. So Harry basically omitted this whole issue of citizens of Canada not wanting to pay for non-working royals and made it seem like it was his family who made that decision. Wow.

I saw the interview just now. As you all know, I have a different perspective on the Sussexes and Megxit than many on the Forum. There were a few bombshells in there. Many of the things Harry and Meghan spoke about, the royal system and individuals being trapped within it, I have long suspected.

Also the deal that the British Press has with the royals ?you stroke our back, we?ll stroke yours, you write a great article about us, you?ll get access next time? we?ve seen, time and time again with Junor etc. The replies also, when Harry asked for some help and public support from other royals against the tabloid bullying ?We can?t do anything. That?s just the way it is?. rang true as well.

As we have seen many times in the past, the tabloids have to set up a narrative of hero and a villain, and in Meghan they had the perfect foil to set up against Kate, older, divorced, biracial, American actress, and they ran with it as she mentioned.

And the senior royals ARE trapped in ?The System?. It?s inevitable until the whole system of monarchy crumbles. And it will, eventually.

I?m glad that the little Sussex family are now settled and happy and content, after the dark period they?ve been through. Im happy that the Queen wasn’t attacked and that Harry was discreet about his father (apart from Charles not taking his calls, and his brother.

As for their new baby being a girl that is a wonderful surprise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom