The Duke & Duchess of Sussex with Oprah II - Interview, March 7th-9th 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think there'll be a day that Harry will regret this interview. I can't see those two lasting and I think his relationship with his family is over. This is so sad, especially for his kids.

I can't see Harry's relationship with his sibling, cousins and other relatives being what it once was after this interview. They might forgive but they won't forget. :sad:

I honestly can't see how the BRF can't come out and comment on some of what has been said.

What should they say, though? If they get into a back and forth, he said/she said scenario by refuting the specific claims Meghan made, it will draw things out even more, which Meghan would love. I did not think Meghan and Harry would be willing to degrade themselves to this extent in their pursuit of money and fame. The British Royal Family, both the institution and the individual family members, should say nothing beyond the standard “no comment.” There’s no reason for them to be pulled down into this trash.

The First Amendment doesn't protect against defamation claims if what you said is patently false and was said with malicious intent. The burden of proof will be on the accuser though in the US, not on the defendant.

On the other hand, as a matter of jurisdiction, given that the interview was given in the US, I don't know if she could be sued in the UK too.

You are correct about civil suits but you mentioned criminal defamation, and Meghan is not in danger of criminal prosecution. The royal family could sue, but they couldn't prosecute her.

I know and that's not forget The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester, The Duke and Duchess of Kent and Princess Alexandra are not getting younger either.

Prince Michael of Kent is not a working royal, but do represent The Queen in some public occasions, but even he is getting older.

I think they're all to old to keep working once Charles starts to rule. Anne could carry on. I think we all know Andrew is out so that kind of only leaves Edward and Sophie. Unless they bring in the younger generation but they didn't want to do that. I think it has to be E & S and I think they'll be phased in at the Jubilee.

Last edited:
If what she is saying is in fact true- thank goodness! If she had stayed she would have killed herself
Meghan not only burned the bridge, she dynamited the debris, incinerated it, and shot it into space, never to return.

I think there'll be a day that Harry will regret this interview. I can't see those two lasting and I think his relationship with his family is over. This is so sad, especially for his kids.

I also think that Harry will regret this interview.
I also don't see Harry and Meghan's wedding going on very long. And the relationship with the family can end, and that is sad.
Harry why did you agree to give this interview?

Meghan comparing herself to The Little Mermaid, who loses her voice because she falls in love with a prince.

I agree. Diana regretted her Panamora interview and Charles regretted his with Jonathan Dimbleby. Too bad Harry didn't think of that when he talks about history repeating itself.

Not even after. The damaging comment, the Kate made her cry and I doubt William would ever forgive him.

I think Kate should have just issued a statement denying the rumor. Quashed it. Over and done with. I don't understand why this did not happen.

I would think Meghan talking about Kate at all would be enough for William to hit the ceiling. But then you factor in everything else she said.....

And I don’t even want to think about Philip’s reaction.

So everyone should keep believing that Meghan made Kate cry?

You are correct about civil suits but you mentioned criminal defamation, and Meghan is not in danger of criminal prosecution. The royal family could sue, but they couldn't prosecute her.

I edited out criminal shortly thereafter, as it was not the right word.

I can't see Harry's relationship with his sibling, cousins and other relatives being what it once was after this interview. They might forgive but they won't forget. :sad:

He was supposed to be quite close with Eugenie. Eugenie seems to be VERY family oriented. I can’t see this going down well with her.

Can Beatrice or Eugenie occupy that place? or even the Counts of Wessex and Princess Anne ...

I should have put The Earl and Countess of Wessex and Princess Anne in my post. Thanks for the reminder ;)

Funny enough, I only just watched a Channel 5 documentary on Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie which was released October 2020 (but only recently published on Youtube). One of the commentators actually did speculate that one day Beatrice and Eugenie could step up to the plate. This was given after Prince Philip retired, Harry & Meghan leaving senior working roles and Andrew's role suspended. Hence four working royals out. Hint: This happens towards the end of the documentary

Prince Harry brought out how over 70 MPs spoke out in solidarity against the horrific treatment received in the press but no one member of his family did.....Yikes!

Very interesting.

Harry says that the Royal Family is "a very trapping environment that a lot of them are stuck in. They have the mentality of 'this is how it is. We've all been through it. You can't change it.'"

Says what is difference for Meghan was the race element. In other words, the treatment Meghan received was different to the treatment everyone else had endured. Says the family should have showed public support to Meghan. Says Parliament showed support to Meghan but his family did not.

On his family: "That hurts."

Of his family: "How scared they are of the tabloids turning on them."

Says tabloids "control [the family] by fear" and this is the reason the institution survives.

Quite a whine-fest.

Did anyone else think Meghan's face looked strangely immobile?
[...]

This is really funny, she is now into fairy tales, 'The Little Mermaid" who fell in love with a prince and lost her voice, but it's a happy ending, she gets her voice back at the end.

Last edited by a moderator:
I should have put The Earl and Countess of Wessex and Princess Anne in my post. Thanks for the reminder ;)

Funny enough, I only just watched a Channel 5 documentary on Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie which was released October 2020 (but only recently published on Youtube). One of the commentators actually did speculate that one day Beatrice and Eugenie could step up to the plate. This was given after Prince Philip retired, Harry & Meghan leaving senior working roles and Andrew's role suspended. Hence four working royals out.

It would be ironic if this was how Andrew got what he always wanted. Ie a role for his daughters as working royals. But I still think it will mostly be Edward and Sophie that will slot in.

I just think: if Diana were alive, which side would she be in this story? it's interesting, but we'll never know.

So everyone should keep believing that Meghan made Kate cry?

I think Meghan should have shut up period. Not discussed it at all. ALL of this garbage was completely unnecessary. I have no respect for Meghan for giving this interview. None.

And I have no idea if what Meghan said was true at all. I’m sure not inclined to take her word for it. She’s not going to give an interview that makes herself look bad. Why should I take Meghan’s word for anything?

Wait, am I dreaming or Harry thinks that his family turned on Meghan, because they thought she was going to be as loved and successful as Diana was?

This is really funny, she is now into fairy tales, 'The Little Mermaid" who fell in love with a prince and lost her voice, but it's a happy ending, she gets her voice back at the end.

I wonder if she ever read the real fairy tale because that does NOT have a happy ending. The little mermaid actually doesn't get the prince and turns to seafoam.

Reactions: Fem
So Harry thought the UK government should provide 24/7 security while his family lived permanently in Canada ? Or did he think that the Canadians should do it?

I wonder how the reaction to that statement will be in Canada.

And how exactly is he safer in California where everybody still knows where he lives and he has no government security either?

Meghan comparing herself to The Little Mermaid, who loses her voice because she falls in love with a prince.

That particular fairy tale didn't end well, did it?

Last edited:
Diana became an 'outsider' I think she would sympathize with the Sussexes. Diana even contemplated buying a home in California.

Seriously? Meghan does have a flair for the dramatic. I’m just rolling my eyes reading this.

Thanks to people who are watching. I never could have sat through this.

I don't think the palace should respond. They would only be giving more prominence to Harry and Meghan. It is best for BRF to ignore this interview.

I agree. The palace should totally ignore this. If they give an unprecedented response, that will give Meghan more fuel, which is what she wants. I saw a few comments where it was speculated about this playing on the ignorance of the American people. It does not matter one bit what the American people think (and I am American). It only matters what the people of the UK think about the Royal Family.

I agree. Diana regretted her Panamora interview and Charles regretted his with Jonathan Dimbleby. Too bad Harry didn't think of that when he talks about history repeating itself.

Neither Harry nor Meghan seem to think long term before doing anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom