The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #1101  
Old 03-09-2021, 10:28 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: alpine village, Germany
Posts: 2,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by csw View Post



The doctor makes real good statements that explain why Meghan (and Harry) did not take on any help with their depression. The worst for me was that they feared the didgnosis would become public information leading the media into a new, negative frenzy. I can imagine how captured they felt in their gilded cage when they couldn't even be sure that their call for help to a doctor would stay confidental.



It would be okay to tell that, IMHO. But I think we never learned of the real reasons of their struggle with Prince Charles and thus it is diffuclt to put that into perspective. Harry is very angry with his father and the way he feels reduced to a second class-family member. IMHO he still suffers from what he saw in Afghanistan, so getting protection for his family is an extremely important point for him. Meghan and their son being POCs makes them even more endangered. We don't know what Harry took with him in beliefs what really happened to his mother, but he surely saw what the British state is able to do in war times. Meghan maybe saw "On her Majesty's Secret Service" or any of all the other movies dealing with MI5 or 6 (or whatever) and both might have really felt threatened for their life. And Diana died because she did not have police protection, we shouldn't forget that, as noone checked to see if she was securely belted into the car on her last travel.



IMHO both suffer from tough cases of anxiety. Maybe telling the world at the cost of their bonds to Harry's family was a cry out to the world about how they feel. I am just sorry that the world will not give them what they need. Only they themselves can give them their inner peace back and I hope they take the time and medical help to reach that.
__________________

  #1102  
Old 03-09-2021, 10:30 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Washington, United States
Posts: 1,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
Regarding money, Harry said himself that he'd inherited money from Diana. Diana got a very substantial divorce settlement, and is also known to have inherited a considerable amount of money from her wealthy grandmother. He's hardly scratching around for a few pence to put in the gas meter. He's probably far wealthier than any of the Queen's younger children are ever likely to be.
Agreed and he also seemed to be under the impression that although he had this money, he shouldn't have to pay his own expenses. The very definition of wanting to have your cake and eat it too.
__________________

  #1103  
Old 03-09-2021, 10:35 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: bedford, United States
Posts: 1,658
Real talk, if even most of these suppositions are true How in world did he get so spoiled and entitled and out of touch with reality? None of the other Great Grandchildren behave like this .
  #1104  
Old 03-09-2021, 10:35 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Somewhere, United States
Posts: 1,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieStroud View Post
IMHO this is probably a very succinct summary of the truth of the matter.


Agreed. It was all very well stated.

The subject matter- race, mental health in particular- were designed for maximum effect with the American audience. Oprah was surprised Meghan went there with race. I’m not. Of course, she did.

This was all very strategic.

One of the reasons I’m not really inclined to sympathize with them about anything is because they so pointedly wanted to play the victim, wanted sympathy, wanted to throw the BRF under the bus.

And of course- in the end- they want money.
  #1105  
Old 03-09-2021, 10:36 AM
Claire's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,552
[QUOTE=Kellydofc;2378666]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post

I don't know if Harry really knows what he's doing anymore. I have the sneaking suspicion the slimmed down monarchy sounded fine to him in theory until Archie was born. Then my guess is talk became real. There might have been a conversation about the fact that Archie wouldn't have security past a certain point in his life unless Harry and Meghan paid for it themselves. That his father and mother would be expected to provide for him fully themselves, ie granddad would not pay for him to attend Eton.

There has to be a point where no matter how much you claim you're trapped you realize you're not the spare anymore. There's actually a decent line of people between you and the throne and all your privileges are going to slip away. That your children will never have the same level of privilege you did. So perhaps Harry just panicked a bit. Maybe it all became a bit to real and it was almost a case of "I'll quit before I'm fired" but without any real plan in place.

And since Meghan clearly wasn't getting what she wanted out of the royal side of things perhaps they just goaded one another on. However, I don't think for one single moment it ever crossed either of their minds Charles would financially cut them off.
I am not too certain - Harry was well aware that he was part of Charles slimmed down plan. They were informed - they know who was in and who was out. I think it has more to do with the role they were to play in that slim downed monarchy. It is one thing to say were chopping off these royals - another thing to realize that with them gone you are essentially doing their role. I really think he saw the life of the lower royals as demeaning and unglamorous.
  #1106  
Old 03-09-2021, 10:36 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Washington, United States
Posts: 1,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Richard Kay today in the Daily Mail calling on H&M's HRH to be removed.


https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-monarchy.html


Frankly it amuses me that some serious people in Britain actually believe the Sussex situation may affect the diplomatic relationship between the US and the UK. I suppse they overestimate the importance that the US public, much less the US government, attach to royalty news, which is mostly seen just as celebrity gossip on the other side of Atlantic.
Thank you for posting. It is striking to read Richard Kay write something somewhat sympathetic to Charles.
  #1107  
Old 03-09-2021, 10:37 AM
bertie5252003's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 3,643
I agree with Mr Kay they should no longer have HRH's it is frankly amusing to me that in America where the institution of monarchy is not understood at all and if it is it is seen as the celebrity that is so craved there... there appears to no questions asked ... what part did these 2 play in this ... because there are always 3 sides to any story your, mine and the truth and I do not believe 50v% of what these 2 have to say not at all
  #1108  
Old 03-09-2021, 10:40 AM
Kellydofc's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Out in the country, United States
Posts: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaryllus View Post
Real talk, if even most of these suppositions are true How in world did he get so spoiled and entitled and out of touch with reality? None of the other Great Grandchildren behave like this .
That's an interesting question especially since he was supposed to be the most "down to earth" of them all.
  #1109  
Old 03-09-2021, 10:40 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
Posts: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellydofc View Post
I think Harry sincerely thought Charles and then William would pay for his family forever. I don't think it sunk in for him when he walked away that was it. I don't know what Andrew's financial situation is but I suspect that's where Harry's mind went. Because that's the second son he has reference to but of course Harry wouldn't have all the scandal so he'd be better off than Andrew. I just don't think he thought he family were serious about the slimmed down monarchy and that if he said he wanted to be financially independent he would actually have to be that.

As for Meghan I think she understands everything perfectly well with a couple of exceptions. 1. I think she thought she could make herself as important as Kate. 2. I think she thought she could pressure the monarchy into changing into giving her that equal position. When she's found out she couldn't she got out of the whole thing.

Instead she's chosen to make herself popular in America, there's a reason most of the interview was with her. There's a reason for the word salad. There's a reason for her tying Archie's race to his security and lack of a title and it's because those issues are such hot topics right now in the US. She knows she's lost in the UK. She's not popular there, and even Harry's popularity has taken a huge hit the last few years and I think this interview is going to make them even less so.

I think she's always wanted celebrity and now they have the added pressure of needing to be popular because they have to make their image sell. So she picked topics that were hot button issues in the US, race and mental health and lean into them. She also leaned into the US's general anti-monarchy feelings, calling the family "the Institution". I also think this is why the subtle allusions to Diana were brought in. Diana is still wildly popular in the US. I think the whole interview was a US marketing ploy for Meghan and she played it pretty darn well.
I've suspected that when I saw her black eyeliner which was very similar to the one Diana had on Panorama, Meghan KNEW what she was doing.
  #1110  
Old 03-09-2021, 10:41 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Washington, United States
Posts: 1,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Scot View Post
She will, when the Palace announces that they will be doing an investigation. As I am sure they will be announcing soon, similar to their investigation into why the bullying charges weren't addressed. However, we won't see the final reports of those investigations.

Or, maybe there will be a leak to the Press, similar to the leak of Jason Knauf's name and the bullying investigation. That could happen, right?
I'm sure there will be leaks but if Harry and Meghan can discuss their truth, the focus of the investigations should be able to reveal theirs, and leaks may be the only way they can do so. It's not like they can take a basket of muffins to Oprah's home and get on an international broadcast.
  #1111  
Old 03-09-2021, 10:46 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 9,168
[QUOTE=Claire;2378678]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellydofc View Post

I am not too certain - Harry was well aware that he was part of Charles slimmed down plan. They were informed - they know who was in and who was out. I think it has more to do with the role they were to play in that slim downed monarchy. It is one thing to say were chopping off these royals - another thing to realize that with them gone you are essentially doing their role. I really think he saw the life of the lower royals as demeaning and unglamorous.
I think that when he got married, he began to realize that he and Meghan were going to be the second best couple.. that increasingly, they would get the duller jobs and Will and K would get the more glamorous ones. And that peeved him. I think he's saying that they tried to put Meghan down because she was too glamourous and popular and he and she didn't like being the second rank royals and that as the Camb kids grew up, they would be less and less interesting to the press and public.
  #1112  
Old 03-09-2021, 10:48 AM
Alisa's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: , United States
Posts: 2,914
I think the GMB episode was equally as explosive if not more than the actual interview itself.

Thomas Markle finally admitting that he lied to Meghan and that he will continue to play with the press until she speaks to him- yet he is there for her if she needs him was just laughable.

My favorite was though- Piers Morgan storming off set like a petulant child when he was called out on his constant criticism of Meghan.

You know the interview has a monumental impact when even the criticism are upset!
__________________
Those who plot the destruction of others often perish in the attempt. ---Phaedrus
  #1113  
Old 03-09-2021, 10:50 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 308
The part where Meghan said she had "forgiven" Kate annoyed me. "forgiven" is a big word, and should not be used in that context, it was not a case of Kate killing Meghan's favourite puppy
  #1114  
Old 03-09-2021, 10:51 AM
Kellydofc's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Out in the country, United States
Posts: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyDrx View Post
I've suspected that when I saw her black eyeliner which was very similar to the one Diana had on Panorama, Meghan KNEW what she was doing.
I also think this is why there was all the talk of Australia and how popular Meghan was in Australia and Harry's family being jealous about how Meaghan was going to be more popular than anyone else. This is very famously what happened when Charles and Diana went to Australia. Diana exploded and became much more popular than Charles. I think they're trying to set Meghan up to be the new Diana.

However, I don't think it will succeed. Meghan was just not as popular to begin with. They might win over segments over America. There's certainly many Americans baying for blood on social platforms. But there also seems to be a fair amount of cynicism too even here and in Britain I'm gathering support is about 50/50.
  #1115  
Old 03-09-2021, 10:52 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post
I'm sure there will be leaks but if Harry and Meghan can discuss their truth, the focus of the investigations should be able to reveal theirs, and leaks may be the only way they can do so. It's not like they can take a basket of muffins to Oprah's home and get on an international broadcast.
I mean they could, they just probably won't.

Everyone seems to be expecting some sort of statement tomorrow or later tonight after The Queen wanted more time to consider - or let the dust settle. So we'll see.

Quote:
I think that when he got married, he began to realize that he and Meghan were going to be the second best couple.. that increasingly, they would get the duller jobs and Will and K would get the more glamorous ones. And that peeved him. I think he's saying that they tried to put Meghan down because she was too glamourous and popular and he and she didn't like being the second rank royals and that as the Camb kids grew up, they would be less and less interesting to the press and public.
The probably would have got more boring jobs the older they got but for now they were given jobs and patronages that were important and seemed to suit them. Whilst Royal Tours are draining they're important and high profile and they had 3 of them in 18 months and we supposed to be the "International Commonwealth Couple" for the next 20 years or so.

I can definitely see a situation where someone said "you can't outshine the future King and Queen" and that could have caused hurt and a lot of frustration but the way he put it "everyone was so jealous because she was too popular" sounded very immature.
  #1116  
Old 03-09-2021, 10:52 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Philadelphia, United States
Posts: 5,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin9 View Post
The subject matter- race, mental health in particular- were designed for maximum effect with the American audience. Oprah was surprised Meghan went there with race. I’m not. Of course, she did.

This was all very strategic.
I was very disappointed that the Sussexes chose to play the race card, especially since I feel it was aimed at Charles. (The reference to one of the top people, but not the Queen or Philip?)

It's so contradictory to what we saw during the wedding- Charles walking Meghan down the aisle, Charles escorting Doria from the church- that I have difficulty believing it.
  #1117  
Old 03-09-2021, 10:54 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 7,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post
Interesting. You are correct on children of former presidents under the age of 16. However, notwithstanding the Washington Post article, Federal law (3 USC Section 102 note), limits expenses for security and travel related expenses to the former president and spouse.
Edited for space.

That should be a no-brainer actually. I suppose the citizens of most republics agree that official security is provided to the Head of State, his/her consort and underage children who live with them. It is also provided to former Heads of State and their spouses.


Monarchies already normally go beyond that. In addition to the monarch and his/her spouse and underage children, and former monarchs upon abdication or dowagers, they also protect the heir and his/her family (spouse and children), which makes sense in a system where succession to the office of Head of State is hereditary (again, it wouldn't be reasonable in a republic).

Beyond the aforementioned core group, however, who else should get official security in a Royal Family? All adult children of a monarch? All grandchildren, even when they are already of age? All great-grandchildren? Where does one draw the line? Most monarchies seem to be converging to extending security to adult children of a monarch in collateral line only when they are performing official duties on behalf of the Crown and not having taxpayer-funded security for royal grandchildren except the heir's children.



Honestly I don't know if any future arrangements were already being discussed for Archie (since he would still get protection anyway as a baby living with Harry and Meghan), but, in the sense that I described above, it would not be at all unreasonable to assume that he would not have state security for life and that would by no means have any relation to his skin color or his mother's skin color. On the contrary, it would be in line with current practice as applied to other family members (including some HRHs like the York princesses) and in line with the general trend in other European monarchies too. I don't know why Harry and Meghan made a big deal out it then, except for what appears to be a disproportionate sense of entitlement.
  #1118  
Old 03-09-2021, 10:55 AM
Kellydofc's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Out in the country, United States
Posts: 472
[QUOTE=Denville;2378687]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post

I think that when he got married, he began to realize that he and Meghan were going to be the second best couple.. that increasingly, they would get the duller jobs and Will and K would get the more glamorous ones. And that peeved him. I think he's saying that they tried to put Meghan down because she was too glamourous and popular and he and she didn't like being the second rank royals and that as the Camb kids grew up, they would be less and less interesting to the press and public.
He has the second son problem. I hope going forward William and Kate prepare Charlotte and Louis. So that they can be fully prepared when they're adults. Maybe they should talk to Edward because I have to say he seems to have adjusted pretty well to his role.
  #1119  
Old 03-09-2021, 10:56 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Somewhere, United States
Posts: 1,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Richard Kay today in the Daily Mail calling on H&M's HRH to be removed.


https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-monarchy.html


That was quite an article. Much of what he said, I agreed with.

I think calling Meghan “ruthless” was right on. She is.
  #1120  
Old 03-09-2021, 10:57 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
Posts: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellydofc View Post
That's an interesting question especially since he was supposed to be the most "down to earth" of them all.
I believe the "down to earth" Harry was simply a PR product from ELF and the palace, similar to what Mark Bolland did to Prince Charles.
__________________

Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Duke & Duchess of Sussex with Oprah III - Post-Interview, March 9th 2021 - Marengo The Electronic Domain 746 03-12-2021 05:30 AM




Popular Tags
abu dhabi american archie mountbatten-windsor baby names biography britain british british royal family british royals buckingham palace camilla's family camilla parker bowles carolin china chinese clarence house cpr doge of venice dresses dubai duchess of sussex duke of cambridge duke of sussex earl of snowdon elizabeth ii family life fashion and style general news thread george vi gradenigo harry and meghan hello! hereditary grand duchess stéphanie hereditary grand duke guillaume history hochberg hypothetical monarchs jewellery kensington palace king edward vii king willem-alexander list of rulers monarchy mountbatten names nepalese royal family plantinum jubilee pless prince charles of luxembourg prince harry princess alexia (2005 -) princess ariane princess chulabhorn princess dita princess eugenie princess laurentien princess of orange queen elizabeth ii queen louise queen victoria resusci anne royal jewels royalty of taiwan solomon j solomon spain thailand thai royal family uae customs united states welsh


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:52 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises
×