The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #1081  
Old 03-09-2021, 09:48 AM
Kellydofc's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Out in the country, United States
Posts: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
I agree, What DID he think he was going to do for the rest of his life, if he only did the Netflix deals when Charles cut off funding? THey said they wanted to leave to have a professional income. Did they not intend then to do some kind of work to earn that income? Or did they think that Dad and the British Tax payer would fund them forever, paying his security and paying him and Meghan an income for life??
or is all this a farrago of lies and misinformation?
Meghan should know that Arch would not be a Prince or HRH until Charles became king and that security has nothing to do with his race or with his having a title.. as a child he would share in their security as long as they were wroking royals.. but when he grew up, or went to school its possible that she and H would have to pay for the security.. but it has nothing to do iwht his racial origin or his having a title or not. Did she really not understand that?? Or does she understand perfectly well but is saying this to make the RF look bad and relying on the fact that the American public wont know the finer points?
I think Harry sincerely thought Charles and then William would pay for his family forever. I don't think it sunk in for him when he walked away that was it. I don't know what Andrew's financial situation is but I suspect that's where Harry's mind went. Because that's the second son he has reference to but of course Harry wouldn't have all the scandal so he'd be better off than Andrew. I just don't think he thought he family were serious about the slimmed down monarchy and that if he said he wanted to be financially independent he would actually have to be that.

As for Meghan I think she understands everything perfectly well with a couple of exceptions. 1. I think she thought she could make herself as important as Kate. 2. I think she thought she could pressure the monarchy into changing into giving her that equal position. When she's found out she couldn't she got out of the whole thing.

Instead she's chosen to make herself popular in America, there's a reason most of the interview was with her. There's a reason for the word salad. There's a reason for her tying Archie's race to his security and lack of a title and it's because those issues are such hot topics right now in the US. She knows she's lost in the UK. She's not popular there, and even Harry's popularity has taken a huge hit the last few years and I think this interview is going to make them even less so.

I think she's always wanted celebrity and now they have the added pressure of needing to be popular because they have to make their image sell. So she picked topics that were hot button issues in the US, race and mental health and lean into them. She also leaned into the US's general anti-monarchy feelings, calling the family "the Institution". I also think this is why the subtle allusions to Diana were brought in. Diana is still wildly popular in the US. I think the whole interview was a US marketing ploy for Meghan and she played it pretty darn well.
__________________

  #1082  
Old 03-09-2021, 09:49 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 9,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Scot View Post
Meghan mentioned that she emailed them, so she probably still has the emails.
if that's the case then she can prove by showing the emails whom she asked and what they siad in reply. SO why not name names?
__________________

  #1083  
Old 03-09-2021, 09:56 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 9,202
[QUOTE=Kellydofc;2378645]I think Harry sincerely thought Charles and then William would pay for his family forever. I don't think it sunk in for him when he walked away that was it. I don't know what Andrew's financial situation is but I suspect that's where Harry's mind went. Because that's the second son he has reference to but of course Harry wouldn't have all the scandal so he'd be better off than Andrew. I just don't think he thought he family were serious about the slimmed down monarchy and that if he said he wanted to be financially independent he would actually have to b/QUOTE]

What on earth does harry think "financially independent" and "making a professional income " MEAN? Surely he realized that if he wanted these 2 things he would have to work for the money.. that the RF wasn't going to fund him forever, and that the tax payer wasn't going to fund him at all.
As for the slimmed down monarchy, Harry and Meg were meant to be part of it.. but it DID mean that his children would probably NOT be part of it and neither would Will's younger children.
It kind of reveals I think that the sudden dash to the US in March last year, was because they had suddenly realised that the Can Govt weren't going to help out any more and they had to dash off and find a freebie house for a bit and then, when Charles probably finally pulled the plug, they had to find some deal that would bring in money...
  #1084  
Old 03-09-2021, 09:56 AM
Kellydofc's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Out in the country, United States
Posts: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Scot View Post
Children of a former President get protection until they are 16 years old.
And according to this Washington Post story, President Trump extended Secret Service protection to his adult children and their spouses after he left office.

In the days before he left office, President Donald Trump instructed that his family get the best security available in the world for the next six months, at no cost — the protection of the U.S. Secret Service.

According to three people briefed on the plan, Trump issued a directive to extend post-presidency Secret Service protection to his four adult children and two of their spouses, who were not automatically entitled to receive it.

Trump also directed that three key officials leaving government continue to receive the protection for six months: former treasury secretary Steven Mnuchin, former chief of staff Mark Meadows and former national security adviser Robert C. O’Brien, two people familiar with the arrangement said.

Under federal law, Trump, his wife, Melania Trump, and their 14-year-old son are the only members of his immediate family entitled to Secret Service protection after they leave office. The couple will receive it for their lifetimes, and Barron is entitled to protection until he turns 16.

Trump wanted every family member who had been protected by the Secret Service during his administration to be covered for six additional months, according to the people familiar with his directive, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to describe security arrangements.

That means the expensive, taxpayer-funded security will continue for daughter Ivanka Trump and her husband, Jared Kushner; son Donald Trump Jr.; son Eric Trump and his wife, Lara Trump; and daughter Tiffany Trump.

The 24-hour protection will focus on Trump’s grown children, although his grandchildren will receive protection that derives from being in proximity to their parents.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...8bf_story.html
Yes, Trump did do this and A LOT of people are super pissed about it. Including most people on the left. It was a MASSIVE thing for days on Twitter. I'm pretty lefty and everyone I knew was saying was a HUGE overstep this was for Trump because it was so unprecedented. Which is why I now find it so funny that so many of these people are now screaming that Harry's family should have his security paid for not by his dad but by the Queen. Ugh hypocrisy drives me nuts.
  #1085  
Old 03-09-2021, 09:57 AM
RosieStroud's Avatar
Commoner
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Stroud, United Kingdom
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellydofc View Post
I think Harry sincerely thought Charles and then William would pay for his family forever. I don't think it sunk in for him when he walked away that was it. I don't know what Andrew's financial situation is but I suspect that's where Harry's mind went. Because that's the second son he has reference to but of course Harry wouldn't have all the scandal so he'd be better off than Andrew. I just don't think he thought he family were serious about the slimmed down monarchy and that if he said he wanted to be financially independent he would actually have to be that.



As for Meghan I think she understands everything perfectly well with a couple of exceptions. 1. I think she thought she could make herself as important as Kate. 2. I think she thought she could pressure the monarchy into changing into giving her that equal position. When she's found out she couldn't she got out of the whole thing.



Instead she's chosen to make herself popular in America, there's a reason most of the interview was with her. There's a reason for the word salad. There's a reason for her tying Archie's race to his security and lack of a title and it's because those issues are such hot topics right now in the US. She knows she's lost in the UK. She's not popular there, and even Harry's popularity has taken a huge hit the last few years and I think this interview is going to make them even less so.



I think she's always wanted celebrity and now they have the added pressure of needing to be popular because they have to make their image sell. So she picked topics that were hot button issues in the US, race and mental health and lean into them. She also leaned into the US's general anti-monarchy feelings, calling the family "the Institution". I also think this is why the subtle allusions to Diana were brought in. Diana is still wildly popular in the US. I think the whole interview was a US marketing ploy for Meghan and she played it pretty darn well.


IMHO this is probably a very succinct summary of the truth of the matter.
  #1086  
Old 03-09-2021, 09:57 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 830
I wonder if they regret it? Harry gave that non confrontational interview with James after the oprah interview and they had oprah say that the queen and phillip didn't make the controversial statement. It implies to me harry knew he went too far.
  #1087  
Old 03-09-2021, 09:58 AM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Unspecified, United States
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post

Harry seems to have also suffered from depression at that time, it was even noted as late as October 2019 while on the Africa tour.


Perhaps he too was floundering for a while, not knowing what to do for the best, or who to contact without the vile tabloids getting hold of it. And I can imagine the meal they all would have made of that bit of news.
I think you are right about this. When I was watching the film about the Africa tour, I noticed that Harry looked exhausted and distracted. Near the end, before they were interviewed by Tom Bradby, Meghan was on a stage about two feet high. Harry came towards her and it looked like he didn't even have the strength to hop on the stage with her. Meghan reached out to him and pulled him on the stage with her. After that, he spoke to Tom Bradby. It was then that I realized what was going on with Harry.
  #1088  
Old 03-09-2021, 10:00 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarebaby View Post
Looking for clarification and thoughts on two things. First, Meghan said that she was up in the middle of the night googling the British National Anthem. Given that she lived in Canada for seven years as an adult working there, would she not have been exposed to that anthem many times? I'm not sure about the answer to this, would love to hear from some Canadians.
Also, she said her passport was taken away, but I recall her going to New York, on her own, for a fairly lavish baby shower. Is it possible royals don't actually need passports, or how would that work? Thanks.
How long was she living in Britain at the time? She must have heard numerous time by then
  #1089  
Old 03-09-2021, 10:01 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 9,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenMathilde View Post
I wonder if they regret it? Harry gave that non confrontational interview with James after the oprah interview and they had oprah say that the queen and phillip didn't make the controversial statement. It implies to me harry knew he went too far.
I'd like to believe that, but Harry seems out of control and one has the feeling that he doesn't know what he's saying any more. Perhaps in occasional moments he realises that his and M's speeches ARE going to be the final straw and alienate him for mahy years to come, from his birth family.. and I think he may worry about that....
  #1090  
Old 03-09-2021, 10:02 AM
Kellydofc's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Out in the country, United States
Posts: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
its very interesting... I think that Harry may have jibbed at selling toasters on the shopping channel.. (he was born a prince after all)...
but he believed that Dad would supply money, eternally.. that the tax payer would pay security.. Tthey would do an odd public appearance for money.. and would pop up now and again making a donation to charity or putting in a day at a homeless shelter.. and that they'd still (when Covid was over,) pop over to UK and do an odd royal event or charity event there.. just to keep their names alive...
AND of course they would do their little pod casts telling people to vote and commuting on American and Commonwealth politics...and Meghan will do the odd narrating a documentary job for money. but It seems like full time money earning wasn't really their plan...
Add in Prince/Princess titles for their children from the moment they were born and I think what you described is exactly what the plan was, 100%.
  #1091  
Old 03-09-2021, 10:05 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Washington, United States
Posts: 1,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Scot View Post
Children of a former President get protection until they are 16 years old.
And according to this Washington Post story, President Trump extended Secret Service protection to his adult children and their spouses after he left office.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...8bf_story.html
Interesting. You are correct on children of former presidents under the age of 16. However, notwithstanding the Washington Post article, Federal law (3 USC Section 102 note), limits expenses for security and travel related expenses to the former president and spouse.
Edited for space.
  #1092  
Old 03-09-2021, 10:09 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Somewhere, United States
Posts: 1,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinsara View Post
Also vague. She's pointing fingers but not making specific accusations, and it makes it harder to refute her.


You’re right. Meghan threw a lot of nasty comments and insinuations out there without being specific. Makes it hard to refute and allows her to keep playing the victim. That’s a role she’s good at. I thought “strong, independent” women didn’t do that.....

The supposed racist incident was the exact same thing. Intended to do maximum damage, but being deliberately vague under the pretext of being “nice” enough not to call said person out by name. Well done, Meghan. Well done. I understand. (That’s setting aside the fact Harry and/or Meghan lied about it. And they did lie. On purpose, not remembering correctly, whatever. But lied just the same. They couldn’t agree on when or how many times.)
  #1093  
Old 03-09-2021, 10:11 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Somewhere, United States
Posts: 1,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenMathilde View Post
I wonder if harry thought quitting the way he did would force the family to give him what he wanted and he became angry when they didn't take the bait.

I think so. I thought part of the point of the website was to force the BRF’s hand to give them exactly what they wanted. It’s partly why they announced something as a done deal that wasn’t.
  #1094  
Old 03-09-2021, 10:18 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Washington, United States
Posts: 1,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Scot View Post
I think you are right about this. When I was watching the film about the Africa tour, I noticed that Harry looked exhausted and distracted. Near the end, before they were interviewed by Tom Bradby, Meghan was on a stage about two feet high. Harry came towards her and it looked like he didn't even have the strength to hop on the stage with her. Meghan reached out to him and pulled him on the stage with her. After that, he spoke to Tom Bradby. It was then that I realized what was going on with Harry.
I'm sure that the situation was very difficult for both of them. These foreign tours are a lot more exhausting than they look. It would have been very hard on Harry to see Meghan so depressed and stressed. But that doesn't relieve him of the basic responsibility to his family. if they can figure out how to talk to a reporter, they can figure out how to talk to a physician. I assume that Meghan was seeing her doctor regularly so I am not sure why this didn't come up during appointments.

If Harry was too ashamed to ask the family for help, there is not much the family can do about it. I'd be even more sympathetic if they had used the interview to acknowledge that even he had trouble asking for help rather than lashing out at his employees and family.

People have to want help and accept the most effective help available. As I posted before, people all over the world, with fewer resources than Harry and Meghan, manage to find help. Sadly too many don't. It's a real crisis.
  #1095  
Old 03-09-2021, 10:19 AM
Claire's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Scot View Post
Meghan mentioned that she emailed them, so she probably still has the emails.
okay - what ? Is that mentioned in the interview - can you give me the time stamp. That is interesting. There was a court case in the US. People who email mental concerns to their employers - they are doing it for a paper trail. It was a fraud - they were doing it to sue later. A doctor pointed out people that people that are suicidal will write or talk, they will rarely email. Even in today times - they will rather leave notes on voice mail about bad news then place it in an email - it is human nature. Unless you have alterative motives - like setting up a systematic pattern of neglect and irresponsibility.
  #1096  
Old 03-09-2021, 10:22 AM
Kellydofc's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Out in the country, United States
Posts: 472
[QUOTE=Denville;2378650]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellydofc View Post
I think Harry sincerely thought Charles and then William would pay for his family forever. I don't think it sunk in for him when he walked away that was it. I don't know what Andrew's financial situation is but I suspect that's where Harry's mind went. Because that's the second son he has reference to but of course Harry wouldn't have all the scandal so he'd be better off than Andrew. I just don't think he thought he family were serious about the slimmed down monarchy and that if he said he wanted to be financially independent he would actually have to b/QUOTE]

What on earth does harry think "financially independent" and "making a professional income " MEAN? Surely he realized that if he wanted these 2 things he would have to work for the money.. that the RF wasn't going to fund him forever, and that the tax payer wasn't going to fund him at all.
As for the slimmed down monarchy, Harry and Meg were meant to be part of it.. but it DID mean that his children would probably NOT be part of it and neither would Will's younger children.
It kind of reveals I think that the sudden dash to the US in March last year, was because they had suddenly realised that the Can Govt weren't going to help out any more and they had to dash off and find a freebie house for a bit and then, when Charles probably finally pulled the plug, they had to find some deal that would bring in money...
I don't know if Harry really knows what he's doing anymore. I have the sneaking suspicion the slimmed down monarchy sounded fine to him in theory until Archie was born. Then my guess is talk became real. There might have been a conversation about the fact that Archie wouldn't have security past a certain point in his life unless Harry and Meghan paid for it themselves. That his father and mother would be expected to provide for him fully themselves, ie granddad would not pay for him to attend Eton.

There has to be a point where no matter how much you claim you're trapped you realize you're not the spare anymore. There's actually a decent line of people between you and the throne and all your privileges are going to slip away. That your children will never have the same level of privilege you did. So perhaps Harry just panicked a bit. Maybe it all became a bit to real and it was almost a case of "I'll quit before I'm fired" but without any real plan in place.

And since Meghan clearly wasn't getting what she wanted out of the royal side of things perhaps they just goaded one another on. However, I don't think for one single moment it ever crossed either of their minds Charles would financially cut them off.
  #1097  
Old 03-09-2021, 10:23 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Manchester, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,337
Regarding money, Harry said himself that he'd inherited money from Diana. Diana got a very substantial divorce settlement, and is also known to have inherited a considerable amount of money from her wealthy grandmother. He's hardly scratching around for a few pence to put in the gas meter. He's probably far wealthier than any of the Queen's younger children are ever likely to be.

I've no idea what's going on in Harry's head. He's said on international TV that his dad stopped taking his phone calls. His wife's had a go at their sister-in-law. He's accused the entire Royal Family of failing to support them, and let them all fall under suspicion of racism. He's let people think that his grandmother, who loves Archie, who's devoted her entire life to the multi-racial Commonwealth, denied Archie the title of prince because of racism.

With Diana, I think that, even though most people now agree that the Panorama interview as a mistake, people felt that "hell hath no fury like a woman scorned", and that she was hitting out because she felt that Charles hadn't tried to make their marriage work, and people can understand that, but I think people are struggling to understand why Harry's done this.
  #1098  
Old 03-09-2021, 10:23 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: N/A, Bulgaria
Posts: 361
The Netflix deal revelation impressed me very much, but alas, the wrong way. I was never a great believer in their producing abilities and I was a little sceptical about the devotion behind their flowery words. Looks like I was right to be sceptical. They only had their belief that they would do a good job for the world that kept them to some extent in my good books, as preaching and irritating as it was. Now, it's clear that their desire to do good was only sparkled when it dawned upon them that they'd really have to be independent and Charles won't foot the bill indefinitely. I have less wish than ever to see the things they want to "share" with us since this burning desire to spread their good in the world seems to only have appeared after they discovered how expensive life was without Charles' purse.


Harry was born to this position? He inherited the risk? Why, he inherited some incredible perks with it. As I understand it, it was never meant to cover his expenses in a life at a place like California. If he had trouble understanding it, he only needed to remember the clamour around Eugenie's gap year. Of course, I see him as self-important enough to not really take notice of the changes around other people, including the cousin he is supposedly so close to.
  #1099  
Old 03-09-2021, 10:24 AM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Unspecified, United States
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
if that's the case then she can prove by showing the emails whom she asked and what they siad in reply. SO why not name names?
She will, when the Palace announces that they will be doing an investigation. As I am sure they will be announcing soon, similar to their investigation into why the bullying charges weren't addressed. However, we won't see the final reports of those investigations.

Or, maybe there will be a leak to the Press, similar to the leak of Jason Knauf's name and the bullying investigation. That could happen, right?
  #1100  
Old 03-09-2021, 10:24 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 7,071
Richard Kay today in the Daily Mail calling on H&M's HRH to be removed.


https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-monarchy.html
__________________

Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Duke & Duchess of Sussex with Oprah III - Post-Interview, March 9th 2021 - Marengo The Electronic Domain 746 03-12-2021 05:30 AM




Popular Tags
american archie mountbatten-windsor background story baptism birth britain britannia british royal family british royals brownbitcoinqueen camilla camilla parker-bowles camilla parker bowles carolin china chinese ming dynasty asia asian emperor royalty qing commonwealth countries countess of snowdon customs doll dresses dubai duchess of sussex duke of sussex earl of snowdon edward vii family tree general news thread george vi gradenigo gustaf vi adolf hello! highgrove history hochberg house of windsor jack brooksbank jewellery książ castle line of succession list of rulers luxembourg meghan markle monarchy nepal nepalese royal jewels pless prince constantijn prince harry princess alexia (2005 -) princess chulabhorn walailak princess of orange princess ribha queen consort queen elizabeth ii queen maxima royal ancestry royal jewels royalty of taiwan solomon j solomon speech sussex suthida swedish queen taiwan thai royal family tradition uae customs united states united states of america wales


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:22 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises
×