The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2021, 08:31 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
and what does she mean by the insitution??
Early in the interview she makes a distinction between 'the family' and 'the institution'. So whoever she made the request to wasn't a family member but presumably would be someone senior enough to grant or deny her request "to go somewhere".

Old 03-09-2021, 08:35 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellydofc View Post
Harry might be hurt but he said he wanted to be financially independent. He decided he didn't want to be a working royal. He's a 36 year old man. Did he really think his dad was going to keep footing the bill when he walked away? If so he's either incredibly naÔve or incredibly entitled. Either way going on tv and throwing his father and brother under the bus isn't going to get his dad to pay for his security and will in fact probably end his relationship with his father and brother for all time. Maybe this is the ultimate case of be careful what you wish for because Harry's sure got his freedom and independence now.

He seems to me to be both naive and entitled. Harryís image as a regular, down to earth guy is well and truly gone.

Totally agree- he asked for freedom and independence. He got it. Turns out he didnít like what that meant. What a shock: he and Meghan didnít plan ahead.

Old 03-09-2021, 08:36 AM
Aristocracy

Also, Meghan said that there is a difference between rude and racist. Absolutely right. I'm not even sure if I would consider "Waity Katie" a rude insult.

Still, I would like to point out that there is a woman in the RF who had to endure all types of sexist slurs and that's Camilla. I've lost the count of how many times she and Diana have been compared on the sole basis of look. And yes that's sexism because, afaik, that never happened with Mark Phillips and Timothy Laurence. Yes, different people, different spotlights, differente situations, but different genders too.

I say that without taking anything away from Meghan's claims. I hope that if there will be any investigations on her allegations, everyone involved cooperates so to clarify things.
Old 03-09-2021, 08:40 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purrs View Post
Now days no. Canadians have not used "God Save the Queen" routinely since the 1960s, before our centennial in 1967 - "O Canada" is our national anthem & it is always sung. I'm 65, I was in grade 2 in 1964 when they stopped singing every morning in classrooms. (I still can sing the first verse.) Its usage at sporting events/special occasions seems to have stopped at that time too. I think it's only used at Royal visits now. They also stopped putting up pictures of the British Royal Family in classrooms then. Some older schools with older buildings still have a picture of the Queen in the school hallways but it has long ceased to be routine (and never was in French Canada). There was less of an emphasis on Canada's British heritage in the 60s & more an emphasis on 2 founding peoples (English & French), then later a recognition that many Canadians don't have either heritage (British heritage is a minority here in Toronto) and increasing recognition of indigenous people.

(I'm a retired teacher BTW).

God Save The Queen is still played though during royal tours, isn't it ?

And I believe the Governor General of Canada is normally greeted with the so-called Vice Regal Salute, which includes the first six bars of "God Save the Queen" immediately followed by the first four and last four bars of "O Canada".

See below God Save The Queen followed by the Vice Regal Salute interpreted on the 75th anniversary of D-Day. The Salute is played upon the departure of the Governor General.

In particular, in connection with military ceremonies, it is important to note that Canada's Constitution Act, 1867 (formerly, the British North America Act, 1867) states that:

Quote:

15. The Command-in-Chief of the Land and Naval Militia, and of all Naval and Military Forces, of and in Canada, is hereby declared to continue to be vested in the Queen.
Moreover, the National Defence Act states that

Quote:
14 The Canadian Forces are the armed forces of Her Majesty raised by Canada and consist of one Service called the Canadian Armed Forces.
Old 03-09-2021, 08:40 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Scot View Post
I don't think it's unusual for wealthy families to financially support their children.

Those children also didnít set up a website publicly announcing that they wanted to be financially independent and informing their family and world what their new role in the family business was going to be.

Harry got what he claimed to want. Except he didnít really. Like everything else with him and Meghan seemingly-everything had to be their way- or not all. Compromise is probably a word they wouldnít understand even if they looked it up in the dictionary.
Old 03-09-2021, 08:43 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
I think what was pretty much said was that Harry is very much aware that he is entitled to the same protection, lifestyle and manner of address as William. I think if they try to take the title from him - they are likely to go to court over it.

They should have just given them everything they wanted. In a way I feel the royal family is been held hostage and blackmailed here.

He definitely was not entitled to the same lifestyle as William. He never was.
Old 03-09-2021, 08:49 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
When you are desperately miserable and feeling suicidal you quite obviously are not thinking straight.

It might be that Meghan, finding that she suspected some staff of leaks to the tabloids, went to the HR dept to see if news of her visit to them and her obvious distress would somehow get known to the senior staff, and thus they would lay off their tittle tattling to journalists about everything and anything she did.

It would be a desperate and somewhat illogical move but maybe she was feeling that desperate and vulnerable. None of us know what her feelings were during those months.

It was obvious from what she said that Meghan was in a really dark place during her pregnancy, something surely that is deserving of sympathy.
I have a great deal of sympathy for what Meghan went through and hope that she is in a better place, although she seems quite angry and bitter. Unfortunately, that can be a symptom of depression. I hope she can find peace and rest.

Quote:
Harry seems to have also suffered from depression at that time, it was even noted as late as October 2019 while on the Africa tour.

Perhaps he too was floundering for a while, not knowing what to do for the best, or who to contact without the vile tabloids getting hold of it. And I can imagine the meal they all would have made of that bit of news.
Possible, but neither of them said that Harry was floundering at that time. It is hard to know how to help another person who is deeply depressed - Charles faced the same struggles with Diana - but that is part of being married. As other have pointed out, Harry has had similar issues and knows how the system works. Harry admitted that he was embarrassed to go to his family - which I can understand but not to the point that he didn't help his wife when he recognized she was suffering. The only excuse he would have is if he couldn't handle his own affairs, which I haven't seen any evidence of.

I find it very strange that she went to HR but never talked to Harry about being hospitalized or not being left alone. As long as we are speculating, it's also possible that she did talk to Harry and he was more concerned about being embarrassed (as he admitted he was) than getting her help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno
The accusation is very serious and needs further investigation.
It might be helpful to conduct a review to evaluate whether they should develop a policy to allow HR to help family members, but I think that in this case, the HR people were between a rock and a hard place. Our initial reaction may be that the person she spoke with should have reported it to someone and helped her. But in my organization, these types of calls are very confidential. It's not just that Meghan's request may have been leaked to the media but also that palace employees may be deterred from asking for help because of fears that the request wouldn't be kept confidential.
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
She does seem to ramble incoherently... and says a lot of things that dont make any sense...

She seems pretty capable of being articulate when she wants to be. So....Iím thinking she did this on purpose.
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
I really would have liked more information about the request for help - what she asked for and who she asked it to
For example - was this to a doctor, the royal family or a staff member, did she till them her condition and that she needed a hospital or did she say I need a break or a leave of absence. Did she say mental institution or Santa Barbara Spar

If it was a doctor he is in serious trouble - but I don't think it was. I think she ask a member of staff - possible for PA.
My guess is that she told a member of staff, not a doctor, that she wanted to go to a spa like place out of the UK and was told the logistics for that would be incredibly complicated and it would be better for her to see someone how could come to the palace. We also don't know by the way if Meghan told this person she was suicidal or that she was feeling depressed or blue or stressed. Their answer might have some bearing on what she told them in the first place and their feeling that it would be better handled "in house".

I still highly doubt anyone flat out told her she just could not receive any help at all. I do believe she might have been told that getting the specific help she wanted would be difficult or impractical. I can also see how she could have taken this and run with it. I do believe what the doctor said on Irish tv that H&M got stuck in a cycle with one another and shutting everyone else out. Sadly I don't see that ending any time soon.
Royal Highness

Lol, ours has 17? verses, but we only ever sing the first ( and rarily the 6th).
Still, while I don't know the lyrics to the British anthem (something with God safe the Queen repeatedly), I do immediately recognise the music. Just as I do the US, French or German anthems. Plenty of sportsevents to get familiar with the music.
Quote:
That's like the American National Anthem, my guess is most people don't know there are three verses. We sure as heck never sing them.
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin9 View Post
Those children also didnít set up a website publicly announcing that they wanted to be financially independent and informing their family and world what their new role in the family business was going to be.

Harry got what he claimed to want. Except he didnít really. Like everything else with him and Meghan seemingly-everything had to be their way- or not all. Compromise is probably a word they wouldnít understand even if they looked it up in the dictionary.
This is funny, isn't it? They put up this elaborate website, stating that they want to be financially independent, and when Charles said "okay, be financially independent" they got angry at him?

British (nor Canadian) public would never accept paying for their security when they're not working royals. Hey, they barely accept paying for security of working royals. I don't understand why this is even an issue to anyone here.
Old 03-09-2021, 08:53 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
Well Meghan claims Kate wrote her an apology letter. No doubt she kept it. Seems Meghan kept a lot of paper trails because she likely knew she might need them.

Iím not surprised the interview was a ratings hit. People love to claim they donít care but most the time the ones who scream the loudest are the 1st to tune in.

Itís been quite the reaction though. Very fascinating debates all over the place.

I donít think watching the interview implies people care. It indicates curiosity.
Old 03-09-2021, 08:55 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
God Save The Queen is still played though during royal tours, isn't it ?
And I believe the Governor General of Canada is normally greeted with the so-called Vice Regal Salute, which includes the first six bars of "God Save the Queen" immediately followed by the first four and last four bars of "O Canada".

Yes, it is still sung at Royal tours and that is the first few bars. However the majority of Canadians under 65 don't know the words & have never sung it. Living here in Toronto, I doubt Meghan was ever exposed to it, let alone given the opportunity to learn either the words or tune when living here. (Yes I know "My Country Tis of Thee" is the same tune but I don't know how many Americans know it.)

However, I don't understand why she didn't ask Harry to teach her how or google it if no one taught her directly when they decided to marry. Part of moving to another country is learning to adapt to their culture. Especially anyone joining the British Royal Family would have the expectation of hearing it played frequently and she should tried to learn it out of respect for the institution she was joining. I find her passivity in this area quite surprising.
Old 03-09-2021, 08:58 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I do believe what the doctor said on Irish tv that H&M got stuck in a cycle with one another and shutting everyone else out. Sadly I don't see that ending any time soon.
I think its thr most on point thing anyone has said and smacks of absolute truth. Harry lost his Mum and through all those years could not protect her.

I think in the long term it is worrying and potentially totally damaging. I hope they continue to receive support.

I think to a certain extent William has the same thing with his wife and kids but Kate isn't damaged and had a secure upbringing and they are not clinging to eachother codependently. And codependency in parents can negatively impact on children so like I said I hope they continue to get support.
Old 03-09-2021, 09:00 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yashal View Post
I think he had Oprah made that clarifying statement because he knew many would think of the DoE.

People were already speculating online about Philip by the time Harry issued the statement. Philip was getting thrown under the bus. Just another example of how utterly thoughtless theses 2 are.
Old 03-09-2021, 09:00 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyflo View Post
Early in the interview she makes a distinction between 'the family' and 'the institution'. So whoever she made the request to wasn't a family member but presumably would be someone senior enough to grant or deny her request "to go somewhere".
Nobody says "I went to the institution".. it doesn't make any sense. If she said "I went to the Private Secretary" or "I went to the queen".. it would make sense...
Old 03-09-2021, 09:03 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fem View Post
This is funny, isn't it? They put up this elaborate website, stating that they want to be financially independent, and when Charles said "okay, be financially independent" they got angry at him?

British (nor Canadian) public would never accept paying for their security when they're not working royals. Hey, they barely accept paying for security of working royals. I don't understand why this is even an issue to anyone here.
I still can't help but think they meant financially independent of the British taxpayers so we when can work/come to the UK whenever we feel like. And keep super tight control over our image and PR. But we DON'T want to be financially independent of Charles. He can keep footing the bill forever and so can William when he becomes king.
Old 03-09-2021, 09:04 AM
Royal Highness

Thing is some people simply don’t want to be healed and whole as being damaged gives them validation, attention and a reason to act the way they do.Being a professional victim is very lucrative as a career.
Old 03-09-2021, 09:04 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin9 View Post
I donít think watching the interview implies people care. It indicates curiosity.
Exactly, it's the same reason people slow down on the highway to look at a car crash.
Old 03-09-2021, 09:06 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaryllus View Post
Thing is some people simply donít want to be healed and whole as being damaged gives them validation, attention and a reason to act the way they do.Being a professional victim is very lucrative as a career.
In which you seek a partner who needs to be needed and both are trapped in a circle that you don't want to be freed from. Unconsciously.

I think really we should just feel sorry for them and ashamed of ourselves for reading those articles.

Closed Thread