The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #1001  
Old 03-09-2021, 05:36 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 8,387
When you are desperately miserable and feeling suicidal you quite obviously are not thinking straight.

It might be that Meghan, finding that she suspected some staff of leaks to the tabloids, went to the HR dept to see if news of her visit to them and her obvious distress would somehow get known to the senior staff, and thus they would lay off their tittle tattling to journalists about everything and anything she did.


It would be a desperate and somewhat illogical move but maybe she was feeling that desperate and vulnerable. None of us know what her feelings were during those months.


It was obvious from what she said that Meghan was in a really dark place during her pregnancy, something surely that is deserving of sympathy.


Harry seems to have also suffered from depression at that time, it was even noted as late as October 2019 while on the Africa tour.


Perhaps he too was floundering for a while, not knowing what to do for the best, or who to contact without the vile tabloids getting hold of it. And I can imagine the meal they all would have made of that bit of news.


The two of them obviously did get help for Meghan eventually and IMO it may well have been Diana’s old friend who ultimately provided it.
__________________

  #1002  
Old 03-09-2021, 05:41 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: St Thomas, U.S. Minor Outlying Islands
Posts: 3,951
The response from the leader of the major opposition party:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...ns-says-labour

Quote:
The Labour leader, Keir Starmer [...] said it was “really sad to see the family in turmoil like this” and that it was a bigger issue in Britain than just the royal family.

Speaking during a visit to a school in Dagenham, east London, Starmer said: “The issues that Meghan has raised of racism and mental health are really serious issues. It is a reminder that too many people experience racism in 21st-century Britain. We have to take that very, very seriously.

“Nobody, but nobody, should be prejudiced [against] because of the colour of their skin or because of their mental health issues. This is bigger than the royal family. For too many years we have been too dismissive and too willing to put these issues to one side.”


The shadow education secretary, Kate Green, said Meghan’s accusations were “really distressing, shocking”.

Green told Sky News: “And if there are allegations of racism then I would expect them to be treated by the palace with the utmost seriousness, and fully investigated.”
__________________

  #1003  
Old 03-09-2021, 05:46 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLV View Post
I find the issue about the security rather strange.
Yes I know that Andrew pays for his and his daughters security and that P. Anne and P. Edward only get it while performing official duties. But none of them are high-risk persons, like Charles, William and Harry are.
I find it very strange that the court decided during the pregnancy that baby Sussex would not get security. In this (alone) I understand Harry being upset. This is not about hierarchy, this is about threat-level. I would think it absolutely normal for Archie to have security (as the child of a highrisk person). Once they left, yes, then it is their own problem. But at that moment, they were still going to be fulltime RF-members.
The Met do a threat assessment on everyone.

Archie would get security when he was a child because his parents did as working royals. I think they probably meant growing up and at school it would cease or be reconsidered. But again their narrative is murky on this.

Their other point was that Canada unsurprisingly didn't want to continue paying for their security when they lived there privately and again unsurprisingly no one wanted them being the official representatives in Canada who also earn a lot of money as they may have originally tried to be.

Charles seems to have picked up the tab for a while but then stopped doing so. That's fair enough as the Duchy isn't made of money. Theoretically if they can buy a $14 million mansion then they could afford security or to prioritise one or the other.

Just as every other famous person who's also controversial doesn't get taxpayer funded security has to.

In theory whilst a terrorist kidnapping for example Eugenie or Louise or Zara wouldn't cause a threat to the succession, it would still make a tragic, terrible point world wide and they're easier to get to - which I guess is why Andrew paid for security so whilst the threat to H&M is higher because they're high profile others are probably also vulnerable to various threats and aren't covered.

I understand them worrying about security of course but I don't think there was a "well Charles should just pay for it" easy answer.
  #1004  
Old 03-09-2021, 05:47 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 7,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
A very large audience of 11.3 million viewers watched the ITV broadcast in the UK of Oprah’s interview with Harry and Meghan. It was reported that ITV was hoping for 7 million max.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...-for-u-k-s-itv

Yes, that is huge for the UK market.
  #1005  
Old 03-09-2021, 05:50 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,813
Strictly type ratings, impressive.
  #1006  
Old 03-09-2021, 05:53 AM
SLV's Avatar
SLV SLV is offline
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Posts: 1,678
Ah, from what I gathered from reading here (I didn't see the interview), I understood that they said that baby S would not get any security at all.
What you say makes much more sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
The Met do a threat assessment on everyone.

Archie would get security when he was a child because his parents did as working royals. I think they probably meant growing up and at school it would cease or be reconsidered. But again their narrative is murky on this.

Their other point was that Canada unsurprisingly didn't want to continue paying for their security when they lived there privately and again unsurprisingly no one wanted them being the official representatives in Canada who also earn a lot of money as they may have originally tried to be.

Charles seems to have picked up the tab for a while but then stopped doing so. That's fair enough as the Duchy isn't made of money. Theoretically if they can buy a $14 million mansion then they could afford security or to prioritise one or the other.

Just as every other famous person who's also controversial doesn't get taxpayer funded security has to.

In theory whilst a terrorist kidnapping for example Eugenie or Louise or Zara wouldn't cause a threat to the succession, it would still make a tragic, terrible point world wide and they're easier to get to - which I guess is why Andrew paid for security so whilst the threat to H&M is higher because they're high profile others are probably also vulnerable to various threats and aren't covered.

I understand them worrying about security of course but I don't think there was a "well Charles should just pay for it" easy answer.
  #1007  
Old 03-09-2021, 06:06 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: St Thomas, U.S. Minor Outlying Islands
Posts: 3,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
I get their security concerns but we don't know what made Charles reach potential breaking point. It's ridiculous to expect him (or the tax payer) to fund security for a mansion in California indefinitely. There were rumours that he was bankrolling everything in 2020 and Duchy money isn't unlimited.
That is correct. It was reported in January 2020 that the Prince would continue to fund the Sussexes for one year.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-fa...y-meghan-year/

At the time, 67% of the public believed the Duke and Duchess should not continue to receive income from the Duchy of Cornwall and 66% believed their security should not be government funded.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics...rry-and-meghan
  #1008  
Old 03-09-2021, 06:51 AM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Neverland, Austria
Posts: 74
I wonder why no one picked up on Meghan's constant change of her personality in her interviews and outings and the very actressy-teary eyed looks on Oprah. Like you saw the pictures and you see a very confident woman and here she's so dowe-y all the time, so sad, so subtle. Not a hint of other traits of personality, she downplayed it all, her enthusiasm as well. Also she didn't say what they'd exactly do, it's almost like they have no clue.
Oprah was easy on them. They should have brought happy moments because they sure had some. It wasn't all gloomy. No harsh questions.
Also Meghan seems to be happy now while Harry is sour, angry and definitely not happy.
It's clear as well they have no idea what to do with themselves now and decided to get revenge at the Firm.
  #1009  
Old 03-09-2021, 06:54 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
When you are desperately miserable and feeling suicidal you quite obviously are not thinking straight.

It might be that Meghan, finding that she suspected some staff of leaks to the tabloids, went to the HR dept to see if news of her visit to them and her obvious distress would somehow get known to the senior staff, and thus they would lay off their tittle tattling to journalists about everything and anything she did.


It would be a desperate and somewhat illogical move but maybe she was feeling that desperate and vulnerable. None of us know what her feelings were during those months.


It was obvious from what she said that Meghan was in a really dark place during her pregnancy, something surely that is deserving of sympathy.


Harry seems to have also suffered from depression at that time, it was even noted as late as October 2019 while on the Africa tour.


Perhaps he too was floundering for a while, not knowing what to do for the best, or who to contact without the vile tabloids getting hold of it. And I can imagine the meal they all would have made of that bit of news.


The two of them obviously did get help for Meghan eventually and IMO it may well have been Diana’s old friend who ultimately provided it.

I have empathy for everyone within the royal system. And I also have empathy for Meghan over her mental health.

But I just don't believe that she was refused help. I can well believe she was refused the type she wanted however.

As for the racist comment. Context is everything and I am no the wiser what was said seeing as it came third hand.

I wouldn't wish royal life on anyone and why then Meghan would want her children to have HRH tie is beyond me.

The interview was somewhat incoherent and actually I am as concerned about the pair of them as always.i hope they are getting help.

I dont presume to know what goes on behind anyones door but I do consider them to be pretty unstable and some of what was said is factually untrue.
  #1010  
Old 03-09-2021, 07:02 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 9,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
As I understand it, the Royal Family has a team of doctors. No-one would expect them to ring the local surgery to book an appointment.


Does anyone imagine that Prince Philip consulted the HR department before he was admitted to hospital with heart problems, or that Kate consulted the HR department before she was treated for hyperemesis gravidarum?


If Meghan was struggling with her mental health, surely she should have consulted a doctor. If she was unsure what to do, surely Harry should have consulted a doctor. If she didn't want the rest of the Royal Family to know, that wouldn't have been an issue. Doctors take the Hippocratic oath. They are not allowed to discuss a patient's medical issues with other people.
Yes this is nonsense. She could have asked her obstetriican for advice as to how to progress with her depression... and get treatment.
  #1011  
Old 03-09-2021, 07:02 AM
Lilyflo's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: England, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,207
Lots of drama on UK television this morning. Piers Morgan stormed off in a temper while being criticised for his obsession with Meghan. Later, Meghan's father was on and admitted he lied to her and threatened to go to the press every 30 days until she speaks to him.

Meanwhile, here's an amusing but also serious review of the Oprah interview in The Irish Times:
https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/t...lete-1.4504502
  #1012  
Old 03-09-2021, 07:03 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Scotland, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,127
If anybody has access watch Dr. Hillary on Good Morning Britain from this morning . He made some interesting points , I will not discuss here but worth a watch. It is only a few minutes but made me think.
  #1013  
Old 03-09-2021, 07:11 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyflo View Post
Lots of drama on UK television this morning. Piers Morgan stormed off in a temper while being criticised for his obsession with Meghan. Later, Meghan's father was on and admitted he lied to her and threatened to go to the press every 30 days until she speaks to him.

Meanwhile, here's an amusing but also serious review of the Oprah interview in The Irish Times:
https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/t...lete-1.4504502
Article is hilarious. But ai dont think Harry and Meghan will win though. I dont think anyone can really.
  #1014  
Old 03-09-2021, 07:25 AM
csw csw is offline
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Columbus, United States
Posts: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallo girl View Post
If anybody has access watch Dr. Hillary on Good Morning Britain from this morning . He made some interesting points , I will not discuss here but worth a watch. It is only a few minutes but made me think.
It can be viewed here:
  #1015  
Old 03-09-2021, 07:39 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
Posts: 331
The Times

Meghan and Harry interview: the shocking claims

It's basically just list of some points Meghan and Harry made during the interview (not fact-checking one), except for the part about crying prior to the wedding where there's additional note.
Quote:
The Duchess of Cambridge made Meghan cry before the wedding
The story that she had made Kate cry days before the wedding had been a “turning point”, the duchess said. It was also not true, she said. “The narrative with Kate — which didn’t happen — was really, really difficult … I think that’s when everything changed, really.

“The reverse happened. And I don’t say that to be disparaging to anyone because it was a really hard week of the wedding. She was upset about something, but she owned it, and she apologised. She brought me flowers and a note, apologising. She did what I would do if I knew that I hurt someone, right, to just take accountability for it.”

Explaining the incident, the duchess added: “A few days before the wedding, she was upset about something … about flower girl dresses, and it made me cry, and it really hurt my feelings. I don’t think it’s fair to her to get into the details of that, because she apologised.”

Describing Kate as “a good person”, she added: “I’m not sharing that piece about Kate in any way to be disparaging to her. I think it’s really important for people to understand the truth. I would hope that she would have wanted that corrected.”

However, other accounts of the incident are at odds with Meghan’s version. The Times has been told that the Duchess of Cambridge left the bridesmaids’ dress fitting in tears. The following day she took a bunch of flowers to Nottingham Cottage, Harry and Meghan’s home at the time, as a peace offering. According to Vanity Fair in an article last summer, Kate was told in uncertain terms it was not enough. A source told The Times that Meghan slammed the door in Kate’s face.
Quite possibly their "source" is the same as the one with bullying allegation.
  #1016  
Old 03-09-2021, 07:45 AM
An Ard Ri's Avatar
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: An Iarmhí, Ireland
Posts: 32,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyflo View Post
Lots of drama on UK television this morning. Piers Morgan stormed off in a temper while being criticised for his obsession with Meghan. Later, Meghan's father was on and admitted he lied to her and threatened to go to the press every 30 days until she speaks to him.

Meanwhile, here's an amusing but also serious review of the Oprah interview in The Irish Times:
https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/t...lete-1.4504502
It was shown on Irish TV last night @ 9.30pm and is all over the media here too,I'd be interested to see the viewing figures in the Irish Republic.
  #1017  
Old 03-09-2021, 07:48 AM
Lilyflo's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: England, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,207
I've heard and read several comments expressing disbelief about Meghan saying that when she had suicidal thoughts, she wasn't able to have help when she requested it. That's not exactly what she said. She actually said that her request to go somewhere for help was denied on the grounds that it wouldn't look good. She didn't say she was unable to see a doctor or therapist, this was a specific request for what sounds like a residential stay in a clinic. She talked of how frightening these thoughts were and that she was afraid to be left alone with them so I can understand how she might want some 24/7 treatment in a specialist environment. In order to have that, she'd have to liaise with 'the institution' as they'd be managing the security and comms. It isn't something that she could just do herself or that Harry could arrange for her privately, unlike some therapy sessions.
  #1018  
Old 03-09-2021, 07:50 AM
ACO ACO is offline
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 3,758
Well Meghan claims Kate wrote her an apology letter. No doubt she kept it. Seems Meghan kept a lot of paper trails because she likely knew she might need them.

I’m not surprised the interview was a ratings hit. People love to claim they don’t care but most the time the ones who scream the loudest are the 1st to tune in.

It’s been quite the reaction though. Very fascinating debates all over the place.
  #1019  
Old 03-09-2021, 07:51 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by csw View Post
I think that is a brilliant and true point. I need him as a GP.

Two damaged people who buik6y a wall around themselves and everything and anything anyone did was negative.

Tragedic and I do think they will continue to have problems. It is very sad.
  #1020  
Old 03-09-2021, 07:55 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyflo View Post
I've heard and read several comments expressing disbelief about Meghan saying that when she had suicidal thoughts, she wasn't able to have help when she requested it. That's not exactly what she said. She actually said that her request to go somewhere for help was denied on the grounds that it wouldn't look good. She didn't say she was unable to see a doctor or therapist, this was a specific request for what sounds like a residential stay in a clinic. She talked of how frightening these thoughts were and that she was afraid to be left alone with them so I can understand how she might want some 24/7 treatment in a specialist environment. In order to have that, she'd have to liaise with 'the institution' as they'd be managing the security and comms. It isn't something that she could just do herself or that Harry could arrange for her privately, unlike some therapy sessions.
In the normal world though that is a last resort. As it should be. They could have paid for her to have a therapist 7 days a week and even hired someone as a life coach to be with her fulltime.

But I think no illicted a horrendous response to them and that is all they heard.

Thry are very damaged people. And in Harry's case the British Public who demanded things from him growing up played a part in that.
__________________

Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Duke & Duchess of Sussex with Oprah III - Post-Interview, March 9th 2021 - Marengo The Electronic Domain 746 03-12-2021 05:30 AM




Popular Tags
american archie mountbatten-windsor asia baby names birth britain britannia british british royal family british royals buckingham palace camilla camilla's family camilla parker-bowles camilla parker bowles china china chinese ming dynasty asia asian emperor royalty qing chinese clarence house colorblindness commonwealth countries coronation crown jewels customs daisy doge of venice dresses duchess of sussex duke of sussex edward vii gemstones george vi gustaf vi adolf hello! henry viii history hypothetical monarchs jack brooksbank japan jewellery kensington palace king edward vii książ castle lili mountbatten-windsor line of succession list of rulers medical meghan markle monarchy mongolia mountbatten names nara period plantinum jubilee pless politics portugal prince harry princess eugenie queen consort royalty of taiwan solomon j solomon spanish royal family st edward sussex swedish queen taiwan thai royal family united states wales


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:36 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises
×