The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2021, 03:27 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarebaby View Post
Looking for clarification and thoughts on two things. First, Meghan said that she was up in the middle of the night googling the British National Anthem. Given that she lived in Canada for seven years as an adult working there, would she not have been exposed to that anthem many times? I'm not sure about the answer to this, would love to hear from some Canadians.
Also, she said her passport was taken away, but I recall her going to New York, on her own, for a fairly lavish baby shower. Is it possible royals don't actually need passports, or how would that work? Thanks.
The British National Anthem is "God Save the Queen", the Canadian is "O Canada". I'm from Australia and we have 'Advance Australia Fair". Like most Canadians and Australian, most do not know the British National Anthem.

The passport question is interesting - because she travelled to New York twice - once for her baby shower and the second for Serena Williams US Open Finals

Old 03-09-2021, 03:29 AM
Nobility

Meghan’s father appeared on British TV this morning and commented on interview.
“Speaking to ITV's Good Morning Britain, Mr Markle said: "This is actually the first time I've heard her speak in four years.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/royal...-latest-vn/amp

Old 03-09-2021, 03:30 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Looking for clarification and thoughts on two things. First, Meghan said that she was up in the middle of the night googling the British National Anthem. Given that she lived in Canada for seven years as an adult working there, would she not have been exposed to that anthem many times? I'm not sure about the answer to this, would love to hear from some Canadians.
Also, she said her passport was taken away, but I recall her going to New York, on her own, for a fairly lavish baby shower. Is it possible royals don't actually need passports, or how would that work? Thanks.
I can't answer about Canada, although I know it is one of their anthems, I don't think it's something that she would necessarily know, at least off by heart. I don't think this is a big deal, we all have to google info on places we're considering moving to or dating someone from.

As to the other, well she/they went on many private trips abroad that we know about and maybe more that we don't don't. So if she didn't have access to her passport then it obviously didn't stop her from going anywhere she wanted. This isn't a "kidnapped princess" situation.

It's one of the many things that are "hang on...!" about the interview.

Quote:
I watched the interview last night with my husband and sister in law. We all agreed that regardless of whether you believe them or not, Meghan came across better than Harry. He couldn’t help but throw in catty remarks and came across as a spoiled petty brat complaining that his money train had been cut off so he had to get a job!
Well it's never edifying when a man in his mid 30s complains that the Bank of Dad has stopped paying out. Especially if he has recently stormed out of the family business under non amicable circumstances because he and his wife wanted to do things their own way.

Especially when they have trust funds from elsewhere and choose to spend it on other things.

I get their security concerns but we don't know what made Charles reach potential breaking point. It's ridiculous to expect him (or the tax payer) to fund security for a mansion in California indefinitely. There were rumours that he was bankrolling everything in 2020 and Duchy money isn't unlimited.
Old 03-09-2021, 03:30 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Yep - those nice jailers must have let her out for the tennis game and Baby shower and holidays to Europe. Also they must have let Ellen, Hillary Clinton and all those other celebrities in. Yep royals need passports. I have been told that the passport isnt removed from them - it is kept by the private secretary so that it is never forgotten when they travel. If they wanted it back they could have asked for it.

The problem with the British Anthem is eveyone in the world knows the first verse and only a very small percentage of the UK knows pass the 2nd verse.
Old 03-09-2021, 03:35 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
The national anthem is one verse, the tune would be familiar to her but not the words, it shouldn't take an actress long to learn the lines. I am sure the passport was held somewhere where the PA who organised travel etc could put their hands on it when required, it would have been somebody's job to ensure the paperwork for travel etc was in order. It is called organisation.
Other than the queen, passports are required, although I don't think they need to stand at passport control.

Simple explanations for most things, as a result maybe the more powerful genuine stuff could be lost , I do not think they have done themselves any favours.
Old 03-09-2021, 03:37 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Yep - those nice jailers must have let her out for the tennis game and Baby shower and holidays to Europe. Also they must have let Ellen, Hillary Clinton and all those other celebrities in. Yep royals need passports. I have been told that the passport isnt removed from them - it is kept by the private secretary so that it is never forgotten when they travel. If they wanted it back they could have asked for it.

The problem with the British Anthem is eveyone in the world knows the first verse and only a very small percentage of the UK knows pass the 2nd verse.
They don't sing the rest because it talks about hammering the Scots.....
Old 03-09-2021, 03:44 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I know the "Knavish tricks" verse off by heart because we had to learn it for a Scarlet Pimpernel production at school.

I've heard the five verses one somewhere which isn't ever sung for some understandable reasons. But I do like this:

Quote:
Lord make the nations see,
That men should brothers be,
And form one family,
The wide world o’er.
Old 03-09-2021, 04:00 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:

I think this applies to Australia as well, where most people know the first verse of Advance Australia Fair, but not so much on the 2nd verse. When I was at primary school, we sang both verses, but in high school, we hardly sang our national anthem (let along the second verse).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallo girl View Post
They don't sing the rest because it talks about hammering the Scots.....
I think the second verse is (according to the Official Royal Family website)
Quote:
Thy choicest gifts in store,
On her be pleased to pour;
Long may she reign:
May she defend our laws,
And ever give us cause,
To sing with heart and voice,
God save the Queen!
https://www.royal.uk/national-anthem

Also in Last Night of the Prom, as arranged by Benjamin Britten, both verses of God Save The Queen were sung. I found this arrangement very moving. This video below has the words as the subtitle, perhaps Meghan should have watched this video
Old 03-09-2021, 04:24 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
I know the "Knavish tricks" verse off by heart because we had to learn it for a Scarlet Pimpernel production at school.

I've heard the five verses one somewhere which isn't ever sung for some understandable reasons. But I do like this:
I am beginning to believe I was the only one taught all verses at school - I sang the whole song in a Scottish accent as my uniform was a kilt. I figured in was appropriate. The nuns must have really dislike my little 11 year self.
Old 03-09-2021, 04:38 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I have a feeling - and it's only a feeling - that her passport and keys symbolised her identity and freedom. After marrying in she was probably issued with some sort of diplomatic passport she used for travel and a special driving licence.
Old 03-09-2021, 04:39 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Scot View Post
I don't think it's unusual for wealthy families to financially support their children.
Not when said children specifically said that they wanted to be financially independent.
Old 03-09-2021, 04:43 AM
Serene Highness

She claimed that she had to "turn in" her keys. It wasn't clear whether she meant house keys, car keys or both, but she was making it sound like a prison. Are we supposed to believe that every time an adult member of the Royal Family wants to leave the building, they have to ask an aide to give them their keys?

A lot of people keep their passport in a locked safe, so that it doesn't get lost and it's difficult to find in case of a break-in. She possibly did give hers to an aide for safekeeping, but that doesn't mean that she wasn't allowed to have it back!
Old 03-09-2021, 04:51 AM
Majesty

Meghan's most damaging personal accusation is that she was potentially suicidal and the Palace was unresponsive or uncooperative when she sought help. The curious part is, however, that she apparently said she didn't seek help from her husband and didn't talk about her mental health issues with other family members. Instead she contacted the HR department, which allegedly said they could not help her because she was not an employee of the Royal Household.

Isn't that the same HR department that is now investigating the bullying accusations involving the Duchess and her former staff? The accusation is very serious and needs further investigation. It is also baffling that Harry didn't offer her help given his own history of having sought help from mental health professionals and his involment with mental health initiatives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyflo View Post
Re: the security - I hadn't really considered this fully before but given the risk level to H&M and Archie, I think they should have their security covered. It's not the same situation as others in the BRF who don't have 24/7 security because those others don't have the same high risk, which has been confirmed remains the same for H&M as when they were here. Given that Harry has stepped back and removed his family from the UK, it wouldn't be acceptable for the British tax-payer to fund it but the Queen (and the next monarch) can easily afford to fund it so they should and not be afraid of what the press might say about that.

They can't have publicly funded British security living full-time in California, can they? Or should Metropolitan Police Officers move to the USA to be with the Sussexes 24/7 ? When they were in Canada still as official working members of the RF, they were entitled to security provided by the RCMP (the Canadian federal police), but that changed with their change of status. I assume that applies also in the UK as there are actually clear rules about who is entitled to PPO protection and who is not.

Whether Prince Charles should agree to pay for their security with his own private funds or not is obviously a different matter, but I sympathize with other posters who said that asking for the PoW to pay for their private security is at odds with the couple's claim that they wanted to be financially independent. Anyway, they have now made lucrative deals with Netflix and Spotify which I assume allow them to afford private security.
Old 03-09-2021, 04:54 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincessJava View Post
The British National Anthem is "God Save the Queen", the Canadian is "O Canada". I'm from Australia and we have 'Advance Australia Fair". Like most Canadians and Australian, most do not know the British National Anthem.

The passport question is interesting - because she travelled to New York twice - once for her baby shower and the second for Serena Williams US Open Finals
Australians over a certain age know "God Save the Queen" very well as it was our National Anthem until 1984. When I was a child it was played in the cinema before the movies started and we all stood up for it. We stood up a lot for "God Save the Queen", and we also sang the second verse about "choicest gifts" though I don't recall being taught the others even though I did eventually find out about them.

I was a monarchist in my early adulthood and was cheesed off when the Labor Government changed our anthem and every time I had to sing it I would sing the second verse instead:

"When gallant Cook from Albion sail'd,
To trace wide oceans o'er,
True British courage bore him on,
Til he landed on our shore.
Then here he raised Old England's flag,
The standard of the brave;
"With all her faults we love her still"
"Britannia rules the wave."
In joyful strains then let us sing,
Advance, Australia fair."
Old 03-09-2021, 05:02 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
I have a feeling - and it's only a feeling - that her passport and keys symbolised her identity and freedom. After marrying in she was probably issued with some sort of diplomatic passport she used for travel and a special driving licence.
It is actually right - if you became president as well. Passport, bank cards, wallet all are locked up. So I think you have it on the mark there - however it is now been used as a removal of personal sovereignty and independence.
I think we need to ask Biden if he feels he is imprisoned. Any elected leader would be the same - are we holding everyone prisoner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Meghan's most damaging personal accusation is that she was potentially suicidal and the Palace was unresponsive or uncooperative when she sought help. The curious part is, however, that she apparently said she didn't seek help from her husband and didn't talk about her mental health issues with other family members. Instead she contacted the HR department, which allegedly said they could not help her because she was not an employee of the Royal Household.

Isn't that the same HR department that is now investigating the bullying accusations involving the Duchess and her former staff? The accusation is very serious and needs further investigation.
I don't don't really understand this - And i am not dismissing the importance of anyone feelings and sensitivities here.
But think of this clearly. If you are in any type of pain do you turn to your doctor, husband or employer. If you are having a nervous breakdown - doctor, husband or employer. If you are having suicidal throughs - doctor, husband or employer?
Maybe ai am just cynical and I would never go to my HR with anything - that is how you get fired.
But considering she had her own doctors for Archie's birth you would think she would have the ability to get a good therapist as well. And considering all of Harry's charities and links for mental health - she could have had any of these. Why go to HR? It doesn't make sense - its like the Queen calling the royal regiments vet to come look at her racing horses.
Old 03-09-2021, 05:17 AM
Majesty

A very large audience of 11.3 million viewers watched the ITV broadcast in the UK of Oprah’s interview with Harry and Meghan. It was reported that ITV was hoping for 7 million max.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...-for-u-k-s-itv

https://hotlifestylenews.com/tv-movi...rah-interview/
Old 03-09-2021, 05:22 AM
Aristocracy

I think the problem with Meghan is that she tend to speak in word salad and expect everybody to magically understand her.
Old 03-09-2021, 05:26 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyDrx View Post
I think the problem with Meghan is that she tend to speak in word salad and expect everybody to magically understand her.
She does seem to ramble incoherently... and says a lot of things that dont make any sense...
Old 03-09-2021, 05:26 AM
Royal Highness

I find the issue about the security rather strange.
Yes I know that Andrew pays for his and his daughters security and that P. Anne and P. Edward only get it while performing official duties. But none of them are high-risk persons, like Charles, William and Harry are.
I find it very strange that the court decided during the pregnancy that baby Sussex would not get security. In this (alone) I understand Harry being upset. This is not about hierarchy, this is about threat-level. I would think it absolutely normal for Archie to have security (as the child of a highrisk person). Once they left, yes, then it is their own problem. But at that moment, they were still going to be fulltime RF-members.
Old 03-09-2021, 05:29 AM
Serene Highness

As I understand it, the Royal Family has a team of doctors. No-one would expect them to ring the local surgery to book an appointment.

Does anyone imagine that Prince Philip consulted the HR department before he was admitted to hospital with heart problems, or that Kate consulted the HR department before she was treated for hyperemesis gravidarum?

If Meghan was struggling with her mental health, surely she should have consulted a doctor. If she was unsure what to do, surely Harry should have consulted a doctor. If she didn't want the rest of the Royal Family to know, that wouldn't have been an issue. Doctors take the Hippocratic oath. They are not allowed to discuss a patient's medical issues with other people.

Closed Thread