The Duke & Duchess of Sussex with Oprah II - Interview, March 7th-9th 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They said "recollections may vary" which to me means they think some of what Megs and Haz said are bullshit. And for all we know, that includes the "mental health" accusations.

I too think it's a polite way of saying they don't agree with H&M's accounting of things because let's face it they can't come right out and call them liars. And they weren't going to come out with a massive statement disputing the facts point by point.

Though I'm annoyed H&M fans are already bringing up Prince Andrew. I have no idea what he has to do with any of this.

I think that was a good statement.

They showed compassion for the struggles, pain and mental health problems Harry and Meghan talked about without judgement or trying to claim it didn't happen.

Politely called BS on other things without engaging in mud slinging and repeated that they're loved. The opposite of what the interview was.

Whether it will be enough, especially for the "racist royal" narrative who knows but it's a good start.

I sense something not said in that statement, something similar to "don't let the door hit ya..." I know it probably took BH hours to come up with just the right balance and in my opinion, they've succeeded. The economy of it is a striking contrast to the "two hours plus bonus features" of the Oprah interview. Same for the tone of each.

Once the adrenaline rush passes, I believe H&M will regret just how far they went in telling their "truth."

This whole Netflix revelation is what makes me think that neither Harry or Meghan thought things through very well. Sure, they made the million dollar contract with Netflix but that [100] million wasn't intended to be free and clear income for the Sussexes to live on. It was paid to the couple with the understanding that they'd deliver something for it. Maybe my thinking is wrong but with that contract, isn't it up to Harry and Meghan now to produce something with that [100] million? People don't work on putting a production into being a reality for free.
Interesting point. I didn't realize this but it makes sense that Harry and Meghan were not paid $100 million but were given it to produce things and have to pay the cost of the production and they could pay themselves a salary. They have spent $20+ million buying a house and paying for the renovations at Frogmore. I wonder if they are only now beginning to realize that they even with Spotify and Netflix, they are going to run out of money.

It's a dog eat dog world and they've been handed Milk Bone underwear. :D
More like they chose Milk Bone underwear.

I think that was a good statement.

They showed compassion for the struggles, pain and mental health problems Harry and Meghan talked about without judgement or trying to claim it didn't happen.

Politely called BS on other things without engaging in mud slinging and repeated that they're loved. The opposite of what the interview was.

Whether it will be enough, especially for the "racist royal" narrative who knows but it's a good start.

In the end, all it needs to be enough for is the UK and perhaps the Commonwealth. No other country has an impact on the day to day running of the UK and let's face it it's not like tourists aren't going to come, when we can again, because they're a little peeved at a system of government.

The economy of it is a striking contrast to the "two hours plus bonus features" of the Oprah interview. Same for the tone of each
Because the interview was a show, first of all...

Interesting point. I didn't realize this but it makes sense that Harry and Meghan were not paid $100 million but were given it to produce things and have to pay the cost of the production and they could pay themselves a salary. They have spent $20+ million buying a house and paying for the renovations at Frogmore. I wonder if they are only now beginning to realize that they even with Spotify and Netflix, they are going to run out of money.

More like they chose Milk Bone underwear.

Maybe that's why there's such a big stink to have dad keep paying for security? I think these two are going to have to figure out how to economize and quickly.

I don't think Meghan got what she wanted and that was for her and Harry to be equal to William and Kate. I don't think she REALLY understood the institution she was marrying into. She thought she could bend it to her will and when she found she couldn't she left and they've now done this interview which was contradictory, vague and with very few direct facts.

The fact is many people with loads of material comforts complain. I worked in a hotel and met many, many rich and famous people and to be frank and honest they spent more time telling me how they had been wronged than any middle class person I ever met.

My original attitude to Megan was suck it up buttercup. It’s not anymore, but I don’t think she’s a saint either.

I don't know if anyone before said that but I just want to add it's really unfair when they bring in the conversation those who cannot answer in a similar way. Kate just won't tell her side of the story. Charles will keep his mouth shut as hes supposed to, too. The palace may issue a statement but that will be all. The Windsors can feel betrayed now. Before it was just a hard to cope with life choice of Harry and Meghan, now it's much more. A family should deal with internal problems on its own. And if anything criminal happened, there are procedures.
I wonder why did they do this interview? They don't need to explain themselves. I thought they wanted to have a normal, private life.
To expose racism in the UK, the brutality of the media or that the Firm is really a corporation with all corporate abusive characteristics? We already know this!
It seems to me like just another part of the show. Preview of the whole new season, the US edition.

Yes, it's really the launch of The Real Housewives of Windsor, Montecito Edition.

I initially thought they wanted Archewell to be of the same ilk as the Clinton, Obama, BM Gates foundations. I was already skeptical because how does one do that without establishing credentials first... but now I'm thinking maybe they want a Kardashian/Jenner kind of empire all along, famous for being famous then branch out to several business ventures but wrapped up in some "be kind" messaging.

I thought it was a good statement- they took the high road. I'd steer clear of H&M. Don't let them near the family. Don't give them any amo.

In regard to Archie, whoever said it should be a shamed of themselves. What kind of thing is that to say to his parents? Secondly, to lie and make it seem as though it was Harry and Meghan that did not want Archie to have the title prince. And to not give it to him is just plan wrong. Now, I do care about tradition and rules or what happened in 1917. The Queen did it for William's children she should have done it for Harry's children as well. And she still should. I do not care where Archie is the in line of succession.

Having the first biracial royal baby in the family is something to be celebrated. And if who I suspect made those remarks to Harry, that person should be ashamed. If I were Harry, none of them would see those children again. They do not deserve to.

Last edited:
In regard to Archie, whoever said it should be a shamed of themselves. What kind of thing is that to say to his parents? Secondly, to lie and make it seems as though it was Harry and Meghan that did not want Archie to have the title prince. And to not give it to him is just plan wrong. Now, I do care about tradition and rules or what happened in 1917. The Queen did it for William's children she should have done it for Harry's children as well. And she still should. I do not care where Archie is the in line of succession.

Having the first biracial royal baby in the family is something to be celebrated. And if who I suspect made those remarks to Harry, that person should be ashamed. If I were Harry, none of them would see those children again. They do not deserve to.

Everyone in the UK knew he wasnt going to be a Prince on birth. The title he would have used was Lord or Earl of Dumbarton. It was there decision not to use this and that was reported.

How many versions of that simple statement were written. I am all for writing the most emotive you can first and peeling it back. It was an excellent statement and I am sure the first draft was something akin to

'I am sorry they have such a hard time but they drove us and our staff around the bend. We don't agree with the racism claim and you of anyo e has been caught out or racism it is Harry. We appreciate the Sussexes are very damaged and we will deal with it privately.'

The real kicker in it. Recollections vary.

I'm assuming that was not how it was put at the meetings over the last couple of days. Peeled back many times I think.

There was another program - Oprah did a morning show on CBS on Monday, talking about the interview, they also released some footage that didn't make it to the main interview.

Tabloids and racism:
Sussexes "snubbed" by the Queen:
Race factor:
Duchess of Sussex about her family:

Whoa.. I thought the Queen ran the show. Sounds like there’s one person running the show and the Queen and whoever they are they need to go!

My main question is still whether Harry interpreted the remark correctly and then described it accurately to Meghan. Whatever he said to her, she took it and ran with it.

And again, by their own admission, neither of them ever addressed the issue with the person in question. Why not? I truly can’t think of a legitimate reason to not have a private discussion with their family member but instead decide to make vague accusations in public several years later.

Yes, I agree. I said earlier that I put a lot of blame for the alleged racist conversation(s) with Harry. Classic white person approach that *he* is made uncomfortable/shocked by the comment so therefore avoids the awkward conversation with his family member, and then later feels the need to share the comment with Meghan, who will naturally be upset by it and is in a more vulnerable position to do anything about it (as biracial, and it not being her family). The burden should absolutely been on Harry to address any comment, and not to go to Meghan and let the two of them fret and stew about it together and feel more of a sense of persecution.

I realize they're very isolated now, so I'm not hoping that the two of them get upset with each other but I think Meghan should have been upset with Harry for his very poor handling of this (and seemingly other situations). By their own narrative, he failed to take some clear opportunities to protect her.

In regard to Archie, whoever said it should be a shamed of themselves. What kind of thing is that to say to his parents? Secondly, to lie and make it seems as though it was Harry and Meghan that did not want Archie to have the title prince. And to not give it to him is just plan wrong. Now, I do care about tradition and rules or what happened in 1917. The Queen did it for William's children she should have done it for Harry's children as well. And she still should. I do not care where Archie is the in line of succession.

Harry and Meghan disagreed with when and how it was allegedly said and Harry looked shocked that it came up. We're dealing with a 3rd hand account of a several year old conversation without any context what so ever. I think it's important to remember that.

I 100% agree racism is terrible and should be called out and stamped out but this isn't a clear cut accusation at all.

Harry and Meghan could have used Earl of Dumbarton or Lord Archie but chose not to. They wanted him to be a regular kid. That was said by their favourite leaker Omid Scobie.

It has not done Bea or Eugenie the slightest bit of public good to be HRH Princess. It just brings expectations that aren't met and a lot of public bitching about them. Peter, Zara, Louise and James have it easier.

The reason she did it for William's children is that she didn't want a situation where Lady Charlotte Windsor was the Queen in waiting whilst her younger brother was behind her in the succession but was HRH Prince George. That was fair for siblings.

It should also be noted that in the same time frame several European monarchs stripped their previously titled grandchildren and relatives of titles in order to slim down. It wasn't personal.

They did celebrate Archie's birth. There are lovely photos of HM and PP meeting him (with Doria) looking ecstatic. Harry gushed about zoom calls and presents from HM and the family on James Corden *after* he had filmed this interview.

It was also Meghan and Harry's wish to keep everything else about Archie as private and secret as possible. They didn't want him to be a public figure at all and even turned down an Australian firefighting helicopter being named after him because he wasn't royal.

Last edited:

The main reason that the LPs were issued for the Cambridge children before George was born is because under the existing LPs, if George had been Georgina, she wouldn't be entitled to hold an HRH or Princess until Charles became King. George, being born second, would be HRH and Prince simply because he was male. The problem was solved not only by amending the Act of Succession to absolute primogeniture but also ensured that all the children by the heir to the heir to the throne were titled from birth. This, I believe, is a consequence of Queen Elizabeth's very long reign on the throne regardless of the sex of the child. Great grandchildren of a monarch never really had to be considered much before. ?

It's not a personal thing at all. It's a matter of tradition and protocol within the hierarchy of the monarchy.

It should also be noted that in the same time frame several European monarchs stripped their previously titled grandchildren and relatives of titles in order to slim down. It wasn't personal.

Look at Sverre Magnus in Norway - he's the son of the heir apparent, but not even an HRH like his sister - only a 'mere' HH...

I wouldn't count on them making him a prince after all this. Or the girl a princess. Charles would have to do it when they turn 18 and according to harry he isn't even answering his calls.

I think that the statement from Buckingham Palace was very generous, considering that Harry and Meghan told outright lies about Archie being denied a title, that Meghan attacked Kate and that Harry went into some very personal details about his relationship with Prince Charles. I'm quite sure that Archie will always be a much loved member of the family, although sadly I'm not sure that the Queen will ever see him again, but I can imagine that a lot of unprintable things are being said about Harry and Meghan.

However, the alleged comments about skin colour are out there now, and people are speculating as to who it was. I've heard people saying that, if they don't name them, it means it must be Prince Charles or Prince William because they wouldn't bother protecting a less senior royal's reputation. That's utter nonsense, and I've never seen the slightest indication that either Charles or William hold racist views, but this is the situation that Harry's created. Unless someone admits that it was them, or unless the Palace says that Harry got it wrong (and, even then, it'd be their word against his), it's rather a mess.

The interesting thing about his is other TV networks and newspapers, magazine and journalists especially ones that wish to scoop Scobie to the 2nd book have already started. It will not be long before M&H are suing everyone in the US as well. And one can only wonder what they will dig up. They have irreversible created their own private hell.

Thanks. We know that there are more potential viewers than in 1995 but a lot of people watch online (I think they have a way to count the number). Regardless, but that just speaks to Diana's incredible popularity.

As someone who remembers it it was a different situation
Diana was going to be queen.

Thanks. We know that there are more potential viewers than in 1995 but a lot of people watch online (I think they have a way to count the number). Regardless, but that just speaks to Diana's incredible popularity.

Also the way we view things are different. Less competition on networks back in 1995 than 2021 in the era of streaming. Either way that is quite a number.

Just glad they did release a statement. It was needed since the royals are still going out on engagements and they don't need to be ambushed with questions.

It has been stated.

I wouldn't count on them making him a prince after all this. Or the girl a princess. Charles would have to do it when they turn 18 and according to harry he isn't even answering his calls.

My understanding is that it won't be a matter of Charles making their children princes and princesses, but he may issue a new LP that retroactively takes away their titles. Actually, I think he will issue a new LP but it would not be retroactive but would resolve the problem going forward. I think the Queen did not make Archie a prince in order to give Charles and William more flexibility to act as future circumstances dictate.

This thread has reached 60 pages within two days. This thread is now closed. You can continue the discussion in a new thread:

Duke and Duchess of Sussex: Post-Interview with Oprah.

You can use quotes from this thread in the new thread. Some posts have been moved. Please conmtact the mod. team if you want to see other posts removed too.

Apologies for any inconvenience.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom