The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2021, 08:04 PM
Courtier

Well I'll admit - I don't like Oprah and I thought she'd go fishing for dirt but I didn't expect Harry to take the bait.

Old 03-08-2021, 08:04 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post
Possibly. I can understand why Harry and Meghan were offended, if the remark actually was made. It's also possible that like the issue of the title for Archie, the Firm perpetrating falsehoods, William suggesting that Harry go slow, and the Firm denying Meghan mental health care, that the reality was very different but was reinterpreted to fit their agenda.
Why would the royal family deny Meghan mental health care??? I do not accept this. They certainly got Diana help in a prompt manner back in 1981 when she needed it.

Old 03-08-2021, 08:14 PM
Majesty

UK viewers were apparently scrambling at ITV Hub, an associate channel, to register/log in to view the Oprah interview but demand was so great the site crashed.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/142788...y-oprah-crash/
Old 03-08-2021, 08:16 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
In the scheme of things going forward into the future, I have to think that Harry and Meghan got what they wanted. Instant gratification. They've told their "side" of things with many points being obscured and no real context given to them. They've painted the picture that they've signed with Netflix because Daddy cut off the financial support which actually was compensation for working for the family "Firm" in the first place. They've set the world on fire with astounding ratings through the roof that people *cared* to hear what they had to say.

In the long run though, I believe this interview will be detrimental going forward and remembered much as Andrew's disastrous interview is remembered today long after it aired. They've basically said that the reason for the Netflix contract was to support what they needed. That, right there, lays to rest any idea that their motives for programming is to "make a difference". Like David and Wallis, they were front page news at the time of the abdication but as time passed, they were always deemed the "outliers" of the British Royal Family and pariahs. I'm afraid this is how Harry and Meghan are going to be perceived. They "once were important" and now they're not.

I wouldn't be one bit surprised if after all this, the British charities and incentives that they did retain, request their removal. I think they've burnt their bridges both in their professional lives as much as in their private lives.

All for instant gratification.
Absolutely agree Osipi, all for the world stage...
Old 03-08-2021, 08:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighGoalHighDreams View Post
Ah, but "the quotes" do not refer to repeated conversations.

Only Meghan refers to repeated conversations. Harry, who seemed to be genuinely shaken to his core to have it brought up, referred to "that conversation. I am never going to share." He looked like he had seen a ghost, and it seemed quite clear he was remembering a particular event.

My interpretation? There was one conversation- and most probably, one comment- made to Harry very early on when he was dating Meghan. This is what Harry recalled. He does not say whether it was about his future child being "too dark," either.

Later on, when Meghan was pregnant, he brought the comment up to her. This is probably the "repeated conversations" she remembers, and probably how she came to conflate the issues of that conversation with the issue of her baby's appearance- this is probably the context on it was introduced to her, and it may have been on multiple occasions.

And whether or not the comment(s) genuinely was about whether the baby would be "too dark" or one of the many other possibilities floated out there, a concern that he would be "too dark" is how Harry interpreted it, and how he conveyed it to Meghan.

This is my interpretation of what I saw last night.
I took a similar view. Though I also think it's possible that Harry had one particular conversation with a significant member of the family at an early stage, and it shook him quite a bit, and I think there could have been other inoffensive conversations with family members during the pregnancy: innocent musings about who Archie was going to look like. I think those later conversations might have reminded them - Harry, particularly - of the early conversation, and they took those innocent comments to be inspired by racism. This is all speculation though because they wouldn't tell us. They also don't seem to have been prepared for that line of questioning or they would have probably been better prepared to respond.
Old 03-08-2021, 08:29 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighGoalHighDreams View Post
Ah, but "the quotes" do not refer to repeated conversations.

Only Meghan refers to repeated conversations. Harry, who seemed to be genuinely shaken to his core to have it brought up, referred to "that conversation. I am never going to share." He looked like he had seen a ghost, and it seemed quite clear he was remembering a particular event.

My interpretation? There was one conversation- and most probably, one comment- made to Harry very early on when he was dating Meghan. This is what Harry recalled. He does not say whether it was about his future child being "too dark," either.

Later on, when Meghan was pregnant, he brought the comment up to her. This is probably the "repeated conversations" she remembers, and probably how she came to conflate the issues of that conversation with the issue of her baby's appearance- this is probably the context on it was introduced to her, and it may have been on multiple occasions.

And whether or not the comment(s) genuinely was about whether the baby would be "too dark" or one of the many other possibilities floated out there, a concern that he would be "too dark" is how Harry interpreted it, and how he conveyed it to Meghan.

This is my interpretation of what I saw last night.
Harry may have looked shaken because he’s either flat out lying or he knows full well he and Meghan are misrepresenting a conversation or comment one of his family members made several years ago, in private, to Harry alone.

This one may not even be on Meghan. Harry may have casually mentioned the conversation to Meghan some time after it occurred. Harry wasn’t exactly known for his cosmopolitan outlook before he started dating a biracial woman and saw the light, so who’s to say he didn’t embellish a little when he was retelling the story, either because he thought it was great fun, or because he knew Meghan wanted to hear something that confirmed what she wanted to believe about Harry’s family, (as well as the British press and the British people).

So Harry doesn’t say anything to the family member at the time. Meghan doesn’t say anything to them when she finds out. They’re both fine with talking about racism in public, specifically saying that listening and communication are important when addressing the issue and also talking about how these are such important conversations to have - so that applies to everyone except Harry’s family? The public gets communication and understanding, Harry’s family member, one of the only people in the UK who cannot effectively defend themselves or engage in any sort of raw personal discussion, gets a knife in the back on Oprah.
Old 03-08-2021, 08:30 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellydofc View Post
Andrew famously had quite the fit when he found out that Beatrice and Eugenie weren't going to be working royals. He spent years trying to persuade people that they should be paid from the civil lists, keep their security, have huge weddings, their children should have titles, the whole shebang.

That's what I meant by the Andrew problem.

thank you now I understand what he means
Old 03-08-2021, 08:31 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick View Post
Why would the royal family deny Meghan mental health care??? I do not accept this. They certainly got Diana help in a prompt manner back in 1981 when she needed it.
Who are ‘they’? I’ve never read that Prince Philip, the Queen, the QM etc were rushing around trying to get Diana the help she needed for her bulimia and other problems. The Staff at the time certainly weren’t asked about it.

Certainly Charles consulted his elderly friend the philosopher Van der Post about Diana’s mental issues and he suggested a couple of therapists who were later used, but no other royal stepped forward as far as I know.

IMO it wasn’t so much denying Meghan mental health care that the other royals were doing as ignoring it and carrying on as usual. I feel that by that stage Harry and the pregnant Meghan were desperate.

The Queen and Charles were far too busy always to see them so they could discuss their concerns (shades of Diana’s treatment there) Harry and his brother weren’t speaking, and Meghan wasn’t close to Kate. So family talks and consultations were out.

The couple didn’t trust the BP staff, Meghan apparently went to the head of HR, no help there, and so they consulted others. I believe that one of Diana’s best friends is now a psychologist or therapist and she may have been a conduit to finding other help or she may have helped Meghan directly. Meghan mentioned her in the interview, I think.
Old 03-08-2021, 08:44 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post

IMO it wasn’t so much denying Meghan mental health care that the other royals were doing as ignoring it and carrying on as usual. I feel that by that stage Harry and the pregnant Meghan were desperate.
Again, it is possible but the issue with this interpretation is that Harry and Meghan were adults in their mid-30s. They both had money, Harry has had counselling himself, and presumably, they could both use the internet. Why would it be necessary for the other royals to intervene?

Perhaps you are suggesting that the other royals should have kept tabs and intervened because Harry is so incompetent. I think it is safe to say that they probably didn't see Meghan that often. And, to the extent they noticed an issue, they thought it was a bad day for her (she was pregnant) and trusted that Harry would do whatever it took to protect his wife.

ETA - there are people all over the world who manage to seek help even though they do not have personal assistants.
Old 03-08-2021, 08:55 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Who are ‘they’? I’ve never read that Prince Philip, the Queen, the QM etc were rushing around trying to get Diana the help she needed for her bulimia and other problems. The Staff at the time certainly weren’t asked about it.

Certainly Charles consulted his elderly friend the philosopher Van der Post about Diana’s mental issues and he suggested a couple of therapists who were later used, but no other royal stepped forward as far as I know.

The Queen and Charles were far too busy always to see them so they could discuss their concerns (shades of Diana’s treatment there) Harry and his brother weren’t speaking, and Meghan wasn’t close to Kate. So family talks and consultations were out.

The couple didn’t trust the BP staff, Meghan apparently went to the head of HR, no help there, and so they consulted others. I believe that one of Diana’s best friends is now a psychologist or therapist and she may have been a conduit to finding other help or she may have helped Meghan directly. Meghan mentioned her in the interview, I think.
Except we know they got Harry help. And Harry is an adult who is the patron of more than one mental health organization. At what point do we accept that Harry and Meghan are 30+ year old adults and capable of picking up phones and calling a doctor themselves?

Do we really think the BRF would have not allowed Meghan to see her regular health care provider or OBGYN? If she had told this person she was depressed or suicidal do we really think they would have not gotten her help? I find it so hard to believe that Meghan really, honestly had no access at all to mental health care ESPECIALLY when Harry has been so open about getting therapy in the past. At the very least couldn't Harry have gotten on the phone and called his old therapist and asked for help or a referral? That's why this just doesn't ring true to me not because of Diana but because of Harry himself.

I think Meghan WAS offered help I just think it wasn't what she wanted. And I have a very sneaking suspicion that if you offer Meghan something and it isn't what she wants she'll turn the whole thing down. She wants all or she'll take nothing.
Old 03-08-2021, 08:55 PM
Courtier

Well you almost have to take a side now-M&H or the queen. H&M have made it impossible to be on both sides.
Old 03-08-2021, 09:05 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post
Possibly. I can understand why Harry and Meghan were offended, if the remark actually was made. It's also possible that like the issue of the title for Archie, the Firm perpetrating falsehoods, William suggesting that Harry go slow, and the Firm denying Meghan mental health care, that the reality was very different but was reinterpreted to fit their agenda.

This entire "we have been offended by someone suggesting that my son will have dark skin" is quite tedious. I will share with you my personal experience, my son is adopted, and quite a few relatives will always comment "oh, my he does not look Jewish at all". It's my choice to either get distressed or ignore. Most people are ignorant and insensitive, I just say my son is adopted and Jewish, go away. If you are happy and love your husband and child, you don't pay attention to silly stuff like this. There something else going on.
Old 03-08-2021, 09:06 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
Or it could have been an question actually rooted in concern based on their own family's experience that was unfortunately taken out of context. It's possible that it was made by a pair of grandparents who have grandchildren who are bi-racial, the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester. Their daughter Davina's children are Maori and Caucasian.
Coincidently, Lady Davina's children Senna Kowhai (b. 22 June 2010) and Tāne Mahuta (25 May 2012) were the first royal family members (in terms of nearest relative to the sovereign) being affected by the Succession to the Crown Act in 2015, since Tāne was born after 2011. Until 2015, Tāne was ahead of his older sister Senna. Now Senna is 32nd and Tāne is 33rd in line of succession.

Gary Lewis himself is not exactly from the middle or upper class. In fact he was described as a sheep-sheerer, builder or surfer by the press. Class was more of the differential factor than race, based on reading the articles.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...ri-surfer.html
https://web.archive.org/web/20160220...114878878.html
https://www.hellomagazine.com/royalt...vina-auckland/
Old 03-08-2021, 09:08 PM
Serene Highness

The latest from the Daily Mail: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...interview.html

I am saddened by this interview (which I haven't watched, but read the quotes). I didn't think it would be this bad. They have almost certainly burned their bridges with the royal family, and I get the sense that Meghan has a vendetta against the monarchy itself, that she sees it as an outmoded and racist UK institution which 'traps' its members and that she has convinced Harry of the same. She was careful not to criticize the Queen, probably because she recognizes how beloved and respected the Queen still is, but basically accused the other heirs to the throne and the rest of the BRF of racism.
Old 03-08-2021, 09:17 PM
Royal Highness

I feel so bad for Archie and his sister. This self absorbed behavior and professional victim shtick as well as this really surprising vindictive streak his parents have going on will color their parenting because the basic nature of people does not change upon having a kid Plus his parents have most likely cut him off from his cousins and adoring granddad. Meghan has no functional family relationship other than Doria
Old 03-08-2021, 09:45 PM
Heir Apparent

I just have a hard time believing the racism. Because if the monarchy- the system - not the members- were racist why wouldn’t the people do something?
I have and still respect the members of the Royal Family. I respect the concept of monarchy. But I don’t think I can look at it- something I admired - quite the same- and that hurts. I thought why should a duchess with all the material comforts and more complain? But no one should endure that- no one.
I’ve never been one to ooh and ahh over people- and I’ve never been disappointed by people I admire- and it hurts. I cried.
Old 03-08-2021, 09:48 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaryllus View Post
I feel so bad for Archie and his sister. This self absorbed behavior and professional victim shtick as well as this really surprising vindictive streak his parents have going on will color their parenting because the basic nature of people does not change upon having a kid Plus his parents have most likely cut him off from his cousins and adoring granddad. Meghan has no functional family relationship other than Doria
I feel bad for the kids too. I do wonder if Harry TRULY understands what he's done. He seems to still think he can repair things. I suspect Meghan knows they're on they're own despite the "I call the Queen" line but I wonder if Harry really understands.
Old 03-08-2021, 09:56 PM
Heir Apparent

BTW I don’t think the Duke and Duchess- especially her - are saints- either.
Old 03-08-2021, 09:57 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseroyal View Post
I just have a hard time believing the racism. Because if the monarchy- the system - not the members- were racist why wouldn’t the people do something?
I have and still respect the members of the Royal Family. I respect the concept of monarchy. But I don’t think I can look at it- something I admired - quite the same- and that hurts. I thought why should a duchess with all the material comforts and more complain? But no one should endure that- no one.
I’ve never been one to ooh and ahh over people- and I’ve never been disappointed by people I admire- and it hurts. I cried.
I don't think Meghan got what she wanted and that was for her and Harry to be equal to William and Kate. I don't think she REALLY understood the institution she was marrying into. She thought she could bend it to her will and when she found she couldn't she left and they've now done this interview which was contradictory, vague and with very few direct facts.

The fact is many people with loads of material comforts complain. I worked in a hotel and met many, many rich and famous people and to be frank and honest they spent more time telling me how they had been wronged than any middle class person I ever met.
Old 03-08-2021, 09:59 PM
Majesty

By the way, just a little report about the interview, which was shown on Australian TV last night on Channel 10. It won its slot in magnificent fashion with over one and a half million viewings (besides the streamings of course earlier in the day, as I did myself.) There was a great deal of interest shown in this here.

https://www.smh.com.au/culture/tv-an...09-p578zv.html

Closed Thread