The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2021, 03:14 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess_Watcher View Post
The whole crying thing is so random. Did she cry because of something Kate did or was it just the moment? We don't know what Kate was upset about.

Also why would the Palace rebuke this?

All this vague stuff...

"Kate (weird since she is said to be called Catherine by her family) made me cry but I won't tell you how!"

"A member of the family made racist remarks but I won't tell you who!"

It only serves so that people can imagine all sorts of terrible things that Catherine might have said (but probably didn't)!

And by blaming no one for the racist remarks, she's effectively blaming all of them. Because again, everyone can now imagine who might have done it and put blame on that person - no matter if that is true or not.

Very interesting also her remarks of "You don't have to hate me if you love Kate, and you don't have to hate Kate if you love me" - while essentially provoking precisely that.

And finally: “If members of his family say, ‘Well, this is what happened to all of us,’ or if they can compare what the experience that I went through was similar to what has been shared with us—Kate was called Waity Katie waiting to marry William. While I imagine that was really hard, and I do, I can’t picture what that felt like. This is not the same. And if a member of this family will comfortably say, ‘We’ve all had to deal with things that are rude.’ Rude and racist are not the same."

Old 03-08-2021, 03:15 PM
Heir Apparent

I typed several lines and deleted all of it (I'm shocked at some of the vile anti-BRF comments on social media, and just don't understand if H&M don't realize that their words feed these comments, or that they don't care)

but in the end all i'm left with is:

what do H&M think they gain by doing this...

Old 03-08-2021, 03:18 PM
Heir Apparent

The entire interview was just so vile and vindictive. I thought they didn't want attention? The entire interview was just the two of them whining. It didn't make them look good.
Old 03-08-2021, 03:18 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
I completely get their desire for a small wedding.

However I wish she had described it as a blessing or that Lambeth Palace would actually comment (but I doubt they're going to) because a full recitation of vows and declaration of marriage "in the presence of God" shouldn't be done twice with the priest right there, legal signing and witnesses aside.

That is why I find it hard to believe that the Archbishop of Canterbury, as the most senior clergyman in the CoE, would go along with that farce, especially considering we are talking about a public wedding that cost millions, was televised worldwide and attended by the Queen and the RF?

I get that Harry and Meghan could consider having some "pretend wedding" in a secluded garden with no witnesses, but would the Archbishop indulge ?
Old 03-08-2021, 03:19 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
And if they didn't want a big wedding why didn't they just say so for goodness sake? I don't believe for a moment that people wouldn't have understood such a request.
That's the thing. I'm sure there was pressure on them (as there was on W&K) but if they had wanted to do a Zara or Peter I'm sure something could have been arranged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
That is why I find it hard to believe that the Archbishop of Canterbury, as the most senior clergyman in the CoE, would go along with that farce, especially considering we are talking about a public wedding that cost millions, was televised worldwide and attended by the Queen and the RF?

I get that Harry and Meghan could consider having some "pretend wedding" in a secluded garden with no witnesses, but would the Archbishop indulge ?
If there's more to this than stringing some fairy lights together, saying some personally written non binding vows and the ABC saying a sweet blessing for their life together this might get investigated further from a CofE POV not just "so it was a £30 million play then?!"

You really shouldn't say vows with your fingers crossed behind your back and Justin Welby does know that.
Old 03-08-2021, 03:21 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
I typed several lines and deleted all of it (I'm shocked at some of the vile anti-BRF comments on social media, and just don't understand if H&M don't realize that their words feed these comments, or that they don't care)

Sadly I don't think they care. More and more I suspect what they think they'll gain is support in America and a paycheck. I really hate to say this but here it goes. I think they're hoping to launch a Kardashian type empire. Oh, they'll start by putting a nice spin on it with charity but in 5 or so years I suspect it'll be very peak Kardashian.
Old 03-08-2021, 03:25 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess_Eleanor View Post

"A member of the family made racist remarks but I won't tell you who!"

And by blaming no one for the racist remarks, she's effectively blaming all of them. Because again, everyone can now imagine who might have done it and put blame on that person - no matter if that is true or not.
It's a smear against the RF.
Old 03-08-2021, 03:26 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post

Oh believe me, Harry and Meghan knows EXACTLY what they were doing, even if the British people sided with the BRF, they wouldn't care considering it's the Americans' support that they are banking on.
Old 03-08-2021, 03:29 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post

It's a good illustration of the great privilege that members of the RF have when they can just call up the Anglican version of the pope & have him pop round to their garden for a nice private wedding/blessing/whatever it was.
Old 03-08-2021, 03:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Think it was in the extras, where she said she was betrayed and has lost her father. He has every right to speak his side, IMO. The man has been vilified time and time again.
How has he been vilified by Meghan though? This clip literally was the first time she publicly spoke of this man. Everything else was in court documents. I don't know what more this man can say other than he wants to see her and the kids --- and that aint happening.

He did stage pictures before the wedding. Fact. But my guess he will be annoyed that she didn't really mention him at all.
Old 03-08-2021, 03:32 PM
Imperial Majesty

I'm watching the interview on DK Tv right now.

It's actually one of the first time, I really listen to and watch Meghan.

Of course most of the impressions I get now, are picked up by the emotional side of my brain. The analytical side is till on though.

Oprah does impress me. Even though she doesn't press the questions, she does ask relevant questions - and her "reactions" goads out elaborations from Meghan.

I find it extremely difficult to believe that she as a well-educated, mature, intelligent women, did not do research about the family she was marrying into. Nor that she didn't prepare herself.
You cannot be that bloody naive! A fifteen year old girl might flow on clouds into the BRF - and adult woman? I don't buy it.

She did put a knife into Kate's ribs IMO. It was subtle, but the knife was there.

-Next segment starting.
Old 03-08-2021, 03:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Yougov poll -

Was the interview appropriate or inappropriate

appropriate - 21%
inappropriate - 47%
don't know - 31%

How much sympathy if any do you ave for Harry and Meghan
a lot - 12%
a fair amount - 17%
not very much - 23%
none at all - 33%
Don't know - 15%

How much sympathy for senior members of the RF
a lot - 16%
a fair amount - 23%
not very much - 25%
none at all - 20%
Don't know - 16%
Old 03-08-2021, 03:40 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
Yougov poll -

appropriate - 21%
inappropriate - 47%
don't know - 31%

a lot - 12%
a fair amount - 17%
not very much - 23%
none at all - 33%
Don't know - 15%

a lot - 16%
a fair amount - 23%
not very much - 25%
none at all - 20%
Don't know - 16%
So it looks like most British people think it was inappropriate and don't have any sympathy for anyone.
Old 03-08-2021, 03:41 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
Yougov poll -

appropriate - 21%
inappropriate - 47%
don't know - 31%

a lot - 12%
a fair amount - 17%
not very much - 23%
none at all - 33%
Don't know - 15%

a lot - 16%
a fair amount - 23%
not very much - 25%
none at all - 20%
Don't know - 16%
These figures seem to bear out other polls about the couple. Somewhere around a quarter are supportive. Of those who express an opinion it's about a third.
Old 03-08-2021, 03:45 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellydofc View Post
So it looks like most British people think it was inappropriate and don't have any sympathy for anyone.
The last question is an interesting one. If you take out the don't knows it's roughly fifty fifty.

Only one in five think it's appropriate. I wonder if that'll be reflected in the viewing figures.
Royal Highness

The thing that really grinds me is that Harry claims to love his family -
Well spare a thought for the kids (children) that had to go to school in this mess today .
George, Charlotte, Louise and James. (And no I don't think kids George age are above making comments).

Well Done Harry.
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
How has he been vilified by Meghan though? This clip literally was the first time she publicly spoke of this man. Everything else was in court documents. I don't know what more this man can say other than he wants to see her and the kids --- and that aint happening.

He did stage pictures before the wedding. Fact. But my guess he will be annoyed that she didn't really mention him at all.
And how is that bad enough to justify Meghan of GHOSTING her own father who according to Meghan HERSELF, a kind and caring man who took care of her? Because she thinks that he was making money off of her? That's a bit rich considering she effectively is making money off of the BRF now.
Old 03-08-2021, 03:50 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
The last question is an interesting one. If you take out the don't knows it's roughly fifty fifty.

Only one in five think it's appropriate. I wonder if that'll be reflected in the viewing figures.
True. I hadn't looked at that. So it seems more people are against them then are with them in the UK. Although the support for the Senior Royals isn't overwhelming. I wonder if that's because Charles and Camilla aren't popular? Do you think it would be higher if they had just asked about the Queen or Will and Kate?
Old 03-08-2021, 03:53 PM
Heir Apparent

I find it interesting that H&M were so openly hurt and upset at her father speaking out on TV about them yet feel it is okay to do the same to the Queen and RF. I don't see how most people could justify it to themselves in any rational way. They would get more sympathy speaking out about Thomas than the RF who never spoke out against H&M.
Old 03-08-2021, 03:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sionevar View Post
One thing that confuses me - Harry said Charles and William have learned to live with the 'toxic environment' of the royal family.

Who exactly is creating this toxic environment? The Queen? Members of the Household? The grey men? The government?

Surely, given what senior positions they hold, if Charles and William consider something to be toxic, they would have the ability to change it? Or is the royal bureaucracy such an immovable, all-controlling beast that the actual royals themselves have become cogs in its machine - puppets with no influence and no say over how things are done?

It all seems a bit odd.

If you think of the Japanese Imperial Household Agency and their power over the Imperial family.... is it still "odd"?

But I think what was the worst for Harry (and probably even more for his American wife) is the so ingrained fact in the whole system that the heir to the title is someone so much more valuable than the spare and his family. Once Meghan and Harry started to resent that, the environment became "toxic" for real because from then on they fought against the principle that is the base of the whole system. There is only one family member sitting on the throne and as she grew old, she shared a lot of things with her heir. Now Charles is the one to rule the institution, I believe, and he didn't want to accept that Harry needed more independence, more space, probably more money (hence the sentence about "Meghan should continue acting because you can't afford her otherwise").

Harry was born within the system as the second son, but due to his mother's way to raise them and later her death he was not taught to be the "spare" to William the heir. (IMHO, that's what I think). He took his privileges as a prince for something he has a right to, though I think he was given a certain leeway that Andrew didn't have. Andrew was an officer, he was gone for longer periods of time and Sarah had to stay home alone with much less money than Diana. We know how this ended. Charles I think made sure that Harry and Meghan had enough money, but of course Meghan had her own phases of shopping sprees. But I degress. I just wanted to point out that Harry IMHO never had a doubt in his life that Charles would stop giving him money and that his (and his family's )protection would be cared for.

As I said: Harry didn't IMHo realised that while the family is wealthy, it doesn't mean the spare gets more than the share which is set aside for a spare while the bulk goes to the heir.

Coming back to Andrew: he divorced the woman he really loves, IMHO, because there was no other way to get rid of her debts, after she had annoyed the queen and the Duke of E. so much. It may be good to remember that a memeber of the "court/firm" told the paps where they could get the pics of toe-sucking Sarah. She shouldn't have done that with her baby daughters present, IMHO, but well, old story. But still, toxic environment for a spare and his "independant" wife... IMHO Sarah is the friend of Diana's Meghan turned to (hence the name of "Fergie", which is the name Sarah is known by her friends, as I read) Probably the idea of a "secret marriage" came from Sarah, who I suspect had one of those with Andrew after their divorce. But I have no proof of that, it's just a gut feeling. Or why is she still living with Andrew now that the daughters they "wanted to raise together despite the divorce" both are married???

But to listen to Sarah is the wrong way IMHO if you want to stay within the inner cirlce and succeed there.

For me the pressure of the really hostile media on an American with a husband who wanted secretly out as well was the recipe for disaster. Plus Harry simply didn't understand how privileged he actually was, even when he was not as privileged as his brother William. He couldn't understand that the British Metropolitan police sent a group of protection officers with him to Afghanistan, but wouldn't protect his little son in Britain nor him in Canada/the US.

That must have hurt, I can understand that, but it is the same as it is for children of industrialist who don't want to join in the family business.

Ah, another thought: about the question of Meghan's suicidal depression. Once you have that, it is very difficult to say what of your behaviour is based on the mentall illness (which is an illness!) or on the way the patient wants to be treated. If Meghan was looking for advice how to get out of the palace environment into a private sanatorium (maybe even the US) I can imagine why she didn't get support. Getting in secret to a doctor to get pills and talks maybe wasn't what she wanted to do and nothing else was on offer to her.

I have been saying for a long time that I need proof to say something about Meghan and Harry and now I think I found that in this interview. Both IMHO are not used to be told "no" and to arrange their life around that. You can call that duty and service. They just didn't see what it meant to be a member of the BRF. Not just privileges, but service, even if the simple things were hard.

I once was in a similar position (not quite on that level, though, but I had chanpagne, luxurious suites and upgrades on flying as goodies, too!) and couldn't stand what was behind it, so I left. But I did accept that that was the end to the goodies as well! And did I needed them? No, I couldn't afford those little luxuries on my own quite well. So here you won't find sympathy for people praying water on expecting to drink wine and champagne for the rest of their lifes.

It might be a hard way they are going now and again, no sympathy because Harry's aunt Sarah went that way before.

I am just saddened they seem to be another of those (youngish) couples who didn't realise what they had before they gave it up in a snit. Back in the BRF they just had to do their duties and everything was good. Now with Netflix etc. they have to bring something to the audience to get the next contracts... Not sure if that is better.

I hope for their sake that their feeling of being on the winner side they have to have right now is based in reality. Maybe Meghan and Harry are really the guys to bring money to Netflix. I hope so, really I do! Maybe Harry has the TV-talent Edward thought he had. We'll see.

But I'm afraid it is too late for Charles to teach his princely son what it means to be the brother of the future king and not the heir himself.

Closed Thread