The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2021, 02:54 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
While I do understand their desire to have a quiet ceremony with their own vows, I do wish that Meghan had described it along the lines of a private "blessing" rather than a "wedding."
I completely get their desire for a small wedding.

However I wish she had described it as a blessing or that Lambeth Palace would actually comment (but I doubt they're going to) because a full recitation of vows and declaration of marriage "in the presence of God" shouldn't be done twice with the priest right there, legal signing and witnesses aside. I get that it's not a big deal to many people but it rankles me. Their vows in the Chapel weren't supposed to be "just acting for the public". Just do it once.

Old 03-08-2021, 02:56 PM
Aristocracy

Oprah asked her about the baby photo coming out the hospital and she said "Nobody asked to take a photo" what does this mean? LOL

Old 03-08-2021, 02:57 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
While I do understand their desire to have a quiet ceremony with their own vows, I do wish that Meghan had described it along the lines of a private "blessing" rather than a "wedding."
I agree. I'm sure most of us understand the difference between the two. Doesn't do much for her credibility when she comes out with things like this.

On the off chance it actually was a wedding well that would open up another can of worms.
Old 03-08-2021, 02:58 PM
Nobility

I'd be interested to hear what people in the UK generally think of the interview. In the US from my Twitter feed it's insanity and people are acting like the monarchy is going to come down because of this. Which I, personally, think is not going to happen. I mean if the Charles/Diana thing didn't bring it down or Edward VIII's abdication then I don't think this will especially since Harry and especially Meghan weren't as popular anyway. But perhaps I'm understanding that wrongly.
Old 03-08-2021, 02:58 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartenberg7 View Post
I´m pretty much sure Harry feels obliged, unconsciously, to continue the revenge of his late mother against the RF! At times he seemed more balanced and stable than in his late teenage years.
I think Harry had more balanced and more unstable phases. He had a very troubled relationship with Chelsy (they reconnected and reconciled many times). There around 2011 and 2012, after the end of the relationship with Chelsy, Harry returned to a more rebellious phase, was seen at many parties and going out at night in London, was when the controversial photos in Las Vegas appeared.
Harry later calmed down and had a very discreet relationship with Cressida Bonas and they were seen a few times together.
When Harry met Meghan, I thought he was finally going to calm down, I never thought things would get this far.
Old 03-08-2021, 03:00 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
I completely get their desire for a small wedding.

However I wish she had described it as a blessing or that Lambeth Palace would actually comment (but I doubt they're going to) because a full recitation of vows and declaration of marriage "in the presence of God" shouldn't be done twice with the priest right there, legal signing and witnesses aside. I get that it's not a big deal to many people but it rankles me. Their vows in the Chapel weren't supposed to be "just acting for the public". Just do it once.
And if they didn't want a big wedding why didn't they just say so for goodness sake? I don't believe for a moment that people wouldn't have understood such a request.
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin9 View Post
I know they didn’t know he’d be in the hospital when this aired. They knew he was 99 though. That speaks for itself. But let’s tack on that he’s had health problems in recent years.

There is no excuse for this. None. You don’t treat people like this. Much less your own family.

I’d be surprised if Philip was totally in the dark right now about all this. One can hope.
Didn't they? I know they didn't know that when it was originally filmed. But parts of it were obviously shot later, and at one point Meghan mentions calling the Queen to check on Philip after learning he was hospitalized. Did they have no control at all over the timing of its airing? I find that unlikely, but if it's true, that's their own fault for not anticipating this. I think it's more likely that they gave the go-ahead to air because they knew they'd have to sit on it indefinitely if he died, and they wanted it out there.
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess_Watcher View Post
Oprah asked her about the baby photo coming out the hospital and she said "Nobody asked to take a photo" what does this mean? LOL
From the transcript it seems that they're claiming they weren't asked to do the "stand on the steps and take a picture" thing.

It might well be that they were never asked but that's only because it was made clear that they weren't doing that. That they didn't even tell any press which hospital they were using. And made it clear that an appearance would be on their terms. Which is completely fair and I actually liked the St George's Hall photocall.
Old 03-08-2021, 03:02 PM
Nobility

Quote:
She'd have to have lived under a rock to not know that when a royal baby is born people want a picture outside the hospital. It was all over the world when George, Charlotte and Louis were born. And if by some weird fluke she didn't know then Harry sure as heck did. This is why I can't believe anything they say because if she's going to lie about little stuff like this then how can we have faith she's telling the truth about anything?
Old 03-08-2021, 03:02 PM
Gentry

https://www.harpersbazaar.com/celebr...-prince-harry/

Suddenly I remembered that. It was poorly written (his English is worse than mine LOL) but he had a point.
Old 03-08-2021, 03:03 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
From the transcript it seems that they're claiming they weren't asked to do the "stand on the steps and take a picture" thing.

It might well be that they were never asked but that's only because it was made clear that they weren't doing that. That they didn't even tell any press which hospital they were using. And made it clear that an appearance would be on their terms. Which is completely fair and I actually liked the St George's Hall photocall.
There seems to be a lack of communication and a lot of implications.
Old 03-08-2021, 03:03 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I'm trying to find it but didn't they want to keep the birth completely private, which I completely understand. If she wanted everything kept as quiet as possible, why would the staff suggest a photo of them leaving the hospital?
Old 03-08-2021, 03:05 PM
Nobility

Quote:

When I think back it seems to me we were all told well in advance she wasn't going to do any of that. I remember it was the first time giving some credence to those "she might give birth at home" rumors. I thought it might explain why they were saying so far in advance why there would be no hospital photos.
Old 03-08-2021, 03:06 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
And if they didn't want a big wedding why didn't they just say so for goodness sake? I don't believe for a moment that people wouldn't have understood such a request.
To be fair, it is very possible that as the wedding grew nearer, she and Harry felt that they wanted a more intimate service.
Old 03-08-2021, 03:07 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellydofc View Post
I'd be interested to hear what people in the UK generally think of the interview. In the US from my Twitter feed it's insanity and people are acting like the monarchy is going to come down because of this. Which I, personally, think is not going to happen. I mean if the Charles/Diana thing didn't bring it down or Edward VIII's abdication then I don't think this will especially since Harry and especially Meghan weren't as popular anyway. But perhaps I'm understanding that wrongly.
Twitter is an odd beast!

Well I can't see it helping their cause one bit. I'd be amazed if it didn't make them more unpopular.

The monarchy is a necessary part of our system of government. It's not going anywhere. I would think a lot of British people would be puzzled as to why some Americans would think that. But I'm only one of seventy odd million people so who knows.
Old 03-08-2021, 03:08 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinosa View Post
https://www.harpersbazaar.com/celebr...-prince-harry/

Suddenly I remembered that. It was poorly written (his English is worse than mine LOL) but he had a point.
Yeah, seems he was a bit on the nose.
Old 03-08-2021, 03:10 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post
To be fair, it is very possible that as the wedding grew nearer, she and Harry felt that they wanted a more intimate service.
That's a fair point. I still think it could have been scaled back. Even at short notice. People really would have understood. There was a lot of goodwill towards the couple at that time.
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by UglyAmerican View Post
Didn't they? I know they didn't know that when it was originally filmed. But parts of it were obviously shot later, and at one point Meghan mentions calling the Queen to check on Philip after learning he was hospitalized. Did they have no control at all over the timing of its airing? I find that unlikely, but if it's true, that's their own fault for not anticipating this. I think it's more likely that they gave the go-ahead to air because they knew they'd have to sit on it indefinitely if he died, and they wanted it out there.

I misspoke. I meant when originally filmed they didn’t know he’d be in the hospital. Before the apparent later filming.

They probably didn’t have control over when it aired. At least I don’t think so.

But- nothing changes that Philip is 99 and has health problems. That should have been enough right there to think- hey- maybe I should just shut up. And HM is in her mid-90s. Better health, but she’s elderly. No getting around that.

I think they just didn’t care. Bottom line.

And Meghan talking about calling to check on Philip just disgusts me. How much would his well being actually matter to her? It was an attempt to make herself look good. It doesn’t IMO. In fact- she looks worse in my eyes.
Royal Highness

s were on the outta kes and CBS showed them this morning. They got clobbered.

https://www-cbsnews-com.cdn.ampproje...uk-tabloids%2F

All focus is on US media is the racism charge and the thoughts of suicide. The National Suicide Hotline number is displayed. I think the US mainstream press see the Markles as contributors to the UK press attacks on Meghan for money. GMB is a safe haven and frankly the US straight press would crucify Sam and Dad in an interview in this environment.
Old 03-08-2021, 03:12 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
Twitter is an odd beast!

Well I can't see it helping their cause one bit. I'd be amazed if it didn't make them more unpopular.

The monarchy is a necessary part of our system of government. It's not going anywhere. I would think a lot of British people would be puzzled as to why some Americans would think that. But I'm only one of seventy odd million people so who knows.
I think a lot of Americans don't understand the British system of government at all. Many just see the monarchy as a bunch of people who get paid to do nothing. They think our system is superior, which I find amazing looking at the mess we've had and continue to have. Plus we have our own VERY difficult history with racism here which never really gets addressed.

I did think this was likely to make H&M more unpopular but I didn't know if that was just based on what I see from outside the country.

Closed Thread