The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2021, 01:29 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighGoalHighDreams View Post
The larger point I took away from this part of the interview was that there are many parts of culture that you take for granted when you are raised with it, that people who are new to the culture would not know. And this contributed to what she experienced in her adjustment to new life.
The UK tabloid press in particular. Every country has its paps, but the UK red tops are a separate breed unto themselves. I wonder if Meghan truly understood what kind of treatment they were going to dish out, and just how nasty it might get. But again, that goes back to my point of her not being taught (or willing to learn) what to expect.

Old 03-08-2021, 01:29 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighGoalHighDreams View Post
My criticism of Meghan and Harry is no secret here at TRF. I've maybe doubled my post count from the past decade plus just in my horror last night posting as I watched. If my tomatoes had been closer at hand, I would be missing a crucial ingredient for my dinner tonight.

But in the interest of listening to the interview with an open mind, the anthem was not something that struck me as odd at all. I think this was part of her larger point that there are just small, cultural things that generally, people might not think of that were part of her adjustment. Perhaps she was laying awake one night and in her panic realized, "I don't know the national anthem of the United Kingdom" and so she Googled it. Perhaps she realized she doesn't know whether people in the UK stand at attention, or face the flag with their heads bowed, or place their hands over their heart. Perhaps she felt ignorant asking her new husband. Surely my friends here at TRF will not tell me that there have not been times they should have asked questions but just felt too silly, even though they should not have.

The larger point I took away from this part of the interview was that there are many parts of culture that you take for granted when you are raised with it, that people who are new to the culture would not know. And this contributed to what she experienced in her adjustment to new life.

I don't find it odd and unusual either that she wouldn't know the lyrics in the national anthem or what to do when the anthem is playing. I would expect she would have received coaching about things like that, but the UK Royal Household is actually a huge organization (much bigger than other European royal households) with many official duties. Maybe they took it for granted and, either ignored that she might actually not know the anthem, or thought it was something too trivial for them to even bother teaching her about.

On their baby's future skin color comment, assuming the quote is true, TBH I have heard comments like that myself many times in families with mixed race couples. They are not uncommon at all and, although Harry asked Oprah to say the comment didn't come from the Queen or Prince Philip, it is not far-fetched to assume that someone with their background or their children's background could have made it. It doesn't make them overt racists, especially when the quote is taken in context (which was not provided in this case), but shows lack of sensitivity and a culturally built-in racial bias.

Old 03-08-2021, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

This is something I was confused about. I wish we had gotten a little clarification on when the comments were made.

Quote:
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry gave differing accounts of when a mystery member of the Royal Family raised concerns about how dark their baby's son skin might be.

The Duchess of Sussex said 'concerns and conversations about how dark his skin might be when he's born' happened 'in those months when [I] was pregnant' with Archie.

But later when Prince Harry was asked about the exchange he appeared to suggest he heard the alleged slur from a royal figure earlier, before he and Meghan got married.

He said: 'That was right at the beginning, when she wasn't going to get security, when members of my family were suggesting that she carries on acting, because there was not enough money to pay for her, and all this sort of stuff.

'Like, there was some real obvious signs before we even got married that this was going to be really hard.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rah-chat.htmlí
Old 03-08-2021, 01:33 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess_Watcher View Post
Camilla especially looks very strained. I can't imagine how Charles must be feeling. His father is in hospital and then his son and his daughter-in-law give this interview. I think people sometimes forget he's not a young man and his "real" job hasn't even started yet.
Old 03-08-2021, 01:33 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by principessa View Post
According a tweet from All Things Royal The Duchess of Cambridge was spotted driving into the court of Buckingham Palace. It is speculated she drove there for a crisismeeting.

https://twitter.com/allthingsroyal/s...82577105747970
Yes, BRF must be in meetings about the Harry and Meghan interview.

Duchess of Cambridge and Duchess of Cornwall were seen arriving at the palace for the meeting

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...legations.html
Old 03-08-2021, 01:39 PM

Well, we will just have to wait and see how all of this turns out. Family conflicts are nothing new in the British royal family. They have been going on since 1066. Look at the relationship between King Henry II and his sons, and the relationships that the sons had with each other. As Katherine Hepburn said in The Lion in Winter "What family doesn't have its ups and downs ?"

Time heals all wounds, and it has always been the destiny of younger sons to leave home and seek their fortunes abroad. Maybe sometime in the future, when all the commotion dies down, the Sussexes can find a useful diplomatic role as liaisons for the royal family in the U.S.A.
Old 03-08-2021, 01:41 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
I'm also sceptical about it, as there is no senior working royal whom I can imagine saying something like that. And, even if anyone actually did wonder, I think they'd be more likely to look it up on Google than to say it to Harry's face. However, none of us can know what one person said to another when no-one else was there, so we can't say for certain.

But there's now going to be a lot of speculation, just as there always is when anyone says that "An unnamed Premier League footballer did this" or "An unnamed daytime TV personality said that" or anything else along those lines, which puts everyone in a very awkward position. People will be claiming that they know that it definitely wasn't one person, or that they know who it was but aren't going to say.
Indeed there is. Can you imagine being a member of the RF knowing that people will look at you wondering whether it was you.

What an unnecessary thing to say. Thank goodness he's made it plain it wasn't HM or Prince Philip. Talk about not thinking through the consequences of what you say.

Surely there needs to be a response to this allegation.
Old 03-08-2021, 01:43 PM
Heir Apparent

What possibilities does the Queen and the Royal Family now have? Revoking them from the line of succession, taking away the titles, terminating the right to live at Frogmore cottage, removing them from the Royal Family?
I had a dream: Let's connect our thoughts together, than we have a mission, let's connect our feelings together, than we have a mood, let's connect our dreams together, than we have a vision and let's connect our mission, our mood and our vision together than we have a perfect life.
Old 03-08-2021, 01:46 PM
Courtier

ACO, I also caught that she was inserting references to a paper trail.

Am I the only one, though, that thought she was being metaphorical when she referred to 'HR'? Is the consensus that she literally went to the Human Resources department that employees people for either the Royal Family or the buildings themselves, etc? I thought she was metaphorically suggesting she went to the family members who would be the equivalent of fulfilling that function.
Old 03-08-2021, 01:48 PM
Commoner

All iím going to say about this is that Harry... is not very smart.
Old 03-08-2021, 01:48 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
Indeed there is. Can you imagine being a member of the RF knowing that people will look at you wondering whether it was you.

What an unnecessary thing to say. Thank goodness he's made it plain it wasn't HM or Prince Philip. Talk about not thinking through the consequences of what you say.

Surely there needs to be a response to this allegation.

[...] from what Harry said, it was in a private conversation. Even if he names someone, if they then deny it, who's to know whether they're lying, Harry's lying, or something was said but taken the wrong way? Unless someone steps forward and says "It was me, and I said exactly what Harry claimed", this is a mess that can't be cleared up.
Old 03-08-2021, 01:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellydofc View Post
Camilla especially looks very strained. I can't imagine how Charles must be feeling. His father is in hospital and then his son and his daughter-in-law give this interview. I think people sometimes forget he's not a young man and his "real" job hasn't even started yet.

Yes- she does look very stressed. And Camillaís not young either.

Catherine looked stressed.

No one needed this. No one.

My biggest takeaway: Meghan and Harry are 2 thoughtless, irresponsible, vengeful people. Iíd ask what they were thinking, but I have yet to see evidence either one has ever thought through much of anything. Including this interview.

IMO- Harry may have started to get the seriousness of what heís done when he wanted it clarified that his grandparents didnít make the supposedly racist remark. Allowing his elderly grandparents to get accused of racism on social media- and Philip absolutely was- is abhorrent.

Iíve heard it mentioned that if anything happens to HM or Prince Philip, theyíll get blamed. I think you can add Charles and Camilla to that list too.
Old 03-08-2021, 01:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by windemere View Post

Time heals all wounds, and it has always been the destiny of younger sons to leave home and seek their fortunes abroad. Maybe sometime in the future, when all the commotion dies down, the Sussexes can find a useful diplomatic role as liaisons for the royal family in the U.S.A.

I donít think time heals all wounds. It sure didnít with the Duke and Duchess of Windsor.

Whether relationships can be healed, we donít know.
Old 03-08-2021, 01:58 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by caethi View Post
My assessment: At best, Meghan and Harry, but particularly Meghan, have very poor boundaries. This explains the need to share so much publicly. In my view, a mature person would not choose this route. Harry comes off as entitled, dependent and churlish, and Meghan comes off as very self-centered. (I am not negating their efforts at philanthropy and good works; I am talking about personality and relationships). I accept that she was subjected to racist attacks by the press and I accept that she was the victim of many microaggressions in her everyday relationships with the courtiers. It would be naieve not to recognize that. What I don't accept is that she/they were powerless to address it, seek psychological help, find solutions. They are nearing 40 years old. A public attack is not an effective way in the long term to solve problems.

Meghan's excitement about working for the Commonwealth (interview, commonwealth nations flowers on her veil) turned into condemning its colonial history (OK Harry said it but it's Meghan's voice saying it). The Commonwealth did emerge from a terrible history of colonization, and the Queen now sees it as a family of nations, giving voice to nations that might otherwise not have a voice. Somehow H and M wanted to focus on its evil underbelly, as if talking about it would erase it.

I give credit to Meghan for having a social conscience and trying to create change where change is needed. I do not give credit to her apparent desire to stick it to the Royal Family. We all have family members who make us cringe sometimes. We may challenge them directly or even cut them off. Most people don't see the need to publicize their family tensions, unless there is an other agenda at play.

So what is that agenda? I think we just need to ask, what is the payoff here?

That will tell you what their agenda was. I think it was both a need for attention and retribution for any perceived wrongs, and not getting what they wanted.

Finally, the people who I know who have lost a job or need money do not purchase/rent/lease a 14 million dollar mansion.
These are very good points.

The cold analytical side of my don't understand the purpose of this extremely frank interview.
Why the public accusations?
Where they necessary? Now?
What is the point?
What is to be gained?
Where will/can they go from here?

There is obviously a deep conflict within the BRF, this interview will escalate, rather than deescalate this conflict. Big time!
They had several options and other topics they could talk about and they could have been less frank, so why go public? Why hurt Harry's family not least his grandmother?
I can't see what H&M will gain from this in the long term. Revenge? Exposure?
They will never be an unofficial alternative to the BRF. There will be a number of countries, perhaps especially monarchies, that will keep them at arms length now. Whereas they beforehand had an opportunity to be officially welcomed vis a vis their association with the BRF. A kind of global ambassadors for some cause.

Where can they go from here? They have burned so many bridges and alienated so many. They can't climb down from the tree. They will have big problems re-conciliating with the BRF!

They may earn money on this right now and they may get exposure right now, but they are destined to fade away in the coming years.

And last but not least they are taking a huge risk!
Every single word said during the interview is going to be dissected and fact-checked by detractors (remember that they accused the British press - it's war!)
What if these detractors find something?
There are witnesses coming forward saying it was indeed Kate who cried and not Meghan.
There are no records of any wedding ceremony.
There are witnesses coming forward with examples of erratic behavior by H&M.
The BRF issuing an official statement flatly refusing the allegations of racism.
Slowly but surely H&M's credibility will be eroded, if what they said is not ironcast verifiable.
And then what?
Old 03-08-2021, 02:00 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin9 View Post
I donít think time heals all wounds. It sure didnít with the Duke and Duchess of Windsor.

Not only that, Harry and Meghan have long lost the good will of the British public. This secret wedding claim is going to be even more damaging. Them being the royal ambassadors for Britain!? No way!
Old 03-08-2021, 02:03 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
These are very good points.

The cold analytical side of my don't understand the purpose of this extremely frank interview.
Why the public accusations?
Where they necessary? Now?
What is the point?
What is to be gained?
Where will/can they go from here?

There is obviously a deep conflict within the BRF, this interview will escalate, rather than deescalate this conflict. Big time!
They had several options and other topics they could talk about and they could have been less frank, so why go public? Why hurt Harry's family not least his grandmother?
I can't see what H&M will gain from this in the long term. Revenge? Exposure?
They will never be an unofficial alternative to the BRF. There will be a number of countries, perhaps especially monarchies, that will keep them at arms length now. Whereas they beforehand had an opportunity to be officially welcomed vis a vis their association with the BRF. A kind of global ambassadors for some cause.

Where can they go from here? They have burned so many bridges and alienated so many. They can't climb down from the tree. They will have big problems re-conciliating with the BRF!

They may earn money on this right now and they may get exposure right now, but they are destined to fade away in the coming years.

And last but not least they are taking a huge risk!
Every single word said during the interview is going to be dissected and fact-checked by detractors (remember that they accused the British press - it's war!)
What if these detractors find something?
There are witnesses coming forward saying it was indeed Kate who cried and not Meghan.
There are no records of any wedding ceremony.
There are witnesses coming forward with examples of erratic behavior by H&M.
The BRF issuing an official statement flatly refusing the allegations of racism.
Slowly but surely H&M's credibility will be eroded, if what they said is not ironcast verifiable.
And then what?
I mean, itís obvious that he doesnít care that he hurts his family. All they care about is that theyíre now A-lists and making a lot of money.
Old 03-08-2021, 02:03 PM
Royal Highness

Harry and Meghan don’t want to heal and make amends. They want to grind the knife and hurt others, namely sick and elderly people who can’t fight back because they feel slighted and could not get their way. It’s actually scary.
Old 03-08-2021, 02:05 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin9 View Post

I don't think time heals all wounds either. Sarah has never been forgiven enough to be fully invited back into the family.

Something like this happened in my family, obviously not an airing of grievances on tv but a family row. My mother stopped speaking her parents and my grandfather died without them ever exchanging another word. It was sad and I wish it wasn't happening to the BRF.
Old 03-08-2021, 02:05 PM
Nobility

I really, really hope Philip is being kept ignorant of this for the time being. How could they possibly have thought this wouldn't upset a 99-year-old still in hospital after cardiac surgery?
Old 03-08-2021, 02:08 PM
Majesty

The Dukes of Sussex did not need to give this interview. They wanted to live outside the UK, nothing wrong with that (Madeleine from Sweden also lives outside her country, but is not giving controversial interviews).
This interview was unnecessary and only serves to harm BRF. Worse, it was done at the worst time (Prince Philip, 99 years old, is admitted to the hospital).
The Dukes of Sussex must not have thought of the consequences and were irresponsible.
In my opinion, as BRF did not do everything they wanted, the Dukes of Sussex gave this interview to take their revenge.