The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2021, 11:55 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by moby View Post
This episode made me realize how vulnerable monarchies are against enemies from within. If they were indeed, The Firm, H&M would be faced with a big fat lawsuit now and perhaps not even be allowed to speak about the RF in the first place because there would likely be an NDA. Now I'm wondering, do other royal families have NDAs to married-ins?? Maybe that might be something useful from now on. Plus, it's a tool that Hollywood types like Meghan would totally understand..
I can see them using pre-nups for incoming spouses to set out standards for how they would be expected to behave in the event of a divorce.

Such a pre-nup might have worked with Meghan to some degree. But what about Harry? He is a born member of the BRF. What type of NDA could they have put in place to keep him quiet?

Old 03-08-2021, 11:55 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Eventually, I think Harry will realize what he has done and it will be too late. It really will be very late.
It's already too late. This interview ruined any kind of future relationship for harry, meghan & kids and they family.

Old 03-08-2021, 11:57 AM
Majesty

Covers of today's UK newspapers with Harry and Meghan's interview.

https://www.hola.com/realeza/casa_in...reino-unido/1/
Old 03-08-2021, 12:00 PM
Commoner

I haven't seen the interview yet, but from the quotes it appears Harry and Meghan have different messages. Harry blames the media and feels let down by his family. Meghan blames the media and his family. I wonder how Harry feels about Meghan's message. It's easy to have a common enemy and to blame the media for being racist, but Meghan spread the message that his family are racists. That's probably not the message Harry wanted to send to the world.
Old 03-08-2021, 12:06 PM
Aristocracy

One thing that confuses me - Harry said Charles and William have learned to live with the 'toxic environment' of the royal family.

Who exactly is creating this toxic environment? The Queen? Members of the Household? The grey men? The government?

Surely, given what senior positions they hold, if Charles and William consider something to be toxic, they would have the ability to change it? Or is the royal bureaucracy such an immovable, all-controlling beast that the actual royals themselves have become cogs in its machine - puppets with no influence and no say over how things are done?

It all seems a bit odd.
Old 03-08-2021, 12:09 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnystar View Post
I don't think that they could have had a legal wedding 3 days before the real one because, IIRC (not Anglican myself), the Anglican church doesn't allow a 2nd wedding ceremony to be performed in the church. You get one ceremony in the church. So if they did ask the AoC to marry them ahead of time... I can't see that happening... How do you reconcile the "no witnesses doesn't make it really legal" with the fact that you are, essentially, reading the wedding rite to them and allowing them to exchange vows? I just can't see the AoC doing that, not if he has a shred of integrity (and I'm sure he does!).
But wedding rehearsals are okay, right? The Archbishop could have viewed it as a rehearsal, they could have asked for a quick run through (with different vows) and he could have said, "Sure, let's rehearse in the yard."

The whole thing is very strange of course.
Old 03-08-2021, 12:10 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
But I'm not sure doing nothing would heal anything in the long run either. There's always the possibility of a huge BLM protest alongside the jubilee celebrations next year which wouldn't be good.

There may be BLM protests during the Jubilee from people who identify the Jubilee or, more broadly the Crown, with Britain's imperial past and argue that this imperial past is in turn identified with racism and colonialism.

I don't think there will be BLM protests during the Jubilee because of Meghan's interview.

In any case, the Queen's work in the Commonwealth, even standing up to Margaret Thatcher to push for sanctions against Apartheid South Africa in the 1980s, has cemented her good credentials on race. I don't think this interview has changed that perception.
Old 03-08-2021, 12:13 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sionevar View Post
One thing that confuses me - Harry said Charles and William have learned to live with the 'toxic environment' of the royal family.

Who exactly is creating this toxic environment? The Queen? Members of the Household? The grey men? The government?

Surely, given what senior positions they hold, if Charles and William consider something to be toxic, they would have the ability to change it? Or is the royal bureaucracy such an immovable, all-controlling beast that the actual royals themselves have become cogs in its machine - puppets with no influence and no say over how things are done?

It all seems a bit odd.
I think that we are meant to understand that over many generations, the entire culture around the Royal Family has grown toxic. That it is both the bureaucracy and the manner in which the Family lives and chooses to live that is the problem.

They do come across as a type of puppet, although the Queen clearly has a say in how things are done and what she prefers (she doesn't seem to like sharing truly personal ideas and moments with the world in the way that some people do).

What strikes me is that the family traditions of the Queen and her offspring place high value on military service, hunting, public ceremony and duty (rather than creativity, education, participation or commentary on world and local events).
Old 03-08-2021, 12:14 PM
Royal Highness

The early television ratings are in and the program drew 17.1 million viewers, which is more than the combined Emmys and Golden Globe ratings but less than the number of people who saw the debut episode of The Equalizer (a program starring Queen Latifah).
https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/08/media...rry/index.html. Caitlyn Jenner's interview with Diane Sawyer had 16.9 million viewers.
Old 03-08-2021, 12:19 PM
Nobility

When I first heard about this interview, I thought it wouldn't end well. The more previews I heard, I was sure of it. The interviews of Diana, Charles and Andrew all backfired, and this one is no exception. Meghan comes off as very naive - she didn't do any research on the BRF? They had to google the words to the national anthem? But the thing that bothers me most is Meghan's claim that she was refused when she asked for help with her mental issues. Just who did she ask? If it was the aides that turned her down, couldn't she have gone higher up? If she didn't want to approach the Queen, how about the Archbishop? As spiritual adviser to the family, surely he could have intervened to find a source of help for her.

The timing of the interview was also questionable. With Prince Philip in the hospital, the Queen is under enough stress already.

I do feel sorry for Archie and the new baby - they will likely grow up being estranged from their father's family, and their mother's family is dysfunctional.
Old 03-08-2021, 12:26 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOS View Post
I haven't seen the interview yet, but from the quotes it appears Harry and Meghan have different messages. Harry blames the media and feels let down by his family. Meghan blames the media and his family. I wonder how Harry feels about Meghan's message. It's easy to have a common enemy and to blame the media for being racist, but Meghan spread the message that his family are racists. That's probably not the message Harry wanted to send to the world.
If this is not the message that Harry meant to sent to the world then he should stop it - Meghan and Harry knew what they were doing by doing this interview and then purposely telling Oprah that it was not the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh. Childish and immature is not the word for it.
Old 03-08-2021, 12:30 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKaimi View Post

What strikes me is that the family traditions of the Queen and her offspring place high value on military service, hunting, public ceremony and duty (rather than creativity, education, participation or commentary on world and local events).

"Commentary on world and local events" would be unconstitutional if it compromised the political neutrality of the Crown. Having said that, members of the RF have spoken extensively and on a non-partisan basis on contemporary social issues and, more importantly, have actually done something about it via the charities they support.

Furthermore, the Queen and the PoW in particular, and more recently the DoC, are active participants in world events as they are among the top diplomats on behalf of the United Kingdom (I doubt any living person has met more world leaders and historic figures than QEII for example). Of course, they do so under the supervision and guidance of the democratically elected governments of the United Kingdom, because that is how constitutional monarchies work.

Many Americans, lilke Meghan perhaps, unfortunately have this misconception that royals should be activists or are "free agents", which is exactly the opposite of their constitutional role in Europe.
Old 03-08-2021, 12:30 PM
Courtier

Interesting to understand from the newly released clip that Harry refers to his father as "the Institution." I have always been one to say that they distinguish between the Firm/ Institution and family members (the "family business" explanation) but it seems evident from this interview that the line does not exist in their minds in many ways. If so, why not just say, "I wrote a letter to the Institution" explaining their intentions- why say, "I wrote a letter to the Institution- my father"? He is conflating the role of Charles, The Prince of Wales and Charles, his father.
Old 03-08-2021, 12:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess_Watcher View Post
If this is true, then she wouldn't need to bring up the "She made me cry" nonsense. lol

Exactly. There was no need to bring this up.

That Meghan felt compelled to do so tells me a lot about her. And it’s not good.

Meghan wants her privacy respected, but has none for anyone else.
Old 03-08-2021, 12:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighGoalHighDreams View Post
This was not at all the impression I got from the interview. I do not think she was trying to portray Catherine as a villain but I do not think she was trying to bury the lede that things were never particularly good between the two of them nor that they are in a good place now. I think Meghan was trying to convey that these are two very different people, that Catherine is a "good person" but that things were never in a great place between them:

• She was specifically asked about Catherine being welcoming towards her. She hesitated and rather than answer whether Catherine was welcoming, hesitated and said something evasive about the family being welcoming.
  • When asked about pictures that showed the two of them as warm sisters-in-law at Wimbledon, she responded that things were "not as they seemed" (yikes)
  • At pains to describe the steps he has taken to restore his relationship with his father and brother, Harry never mentioned Catherine, whom he often described as a sister, with whom he was famously close, and whom he has known (literally) most of his life at this point.

This is very much in keeping with stories that the two are both good people but not compatible as friends.

But again, I don't think these things were meant to portray Catherine poorly. There is no need to falsely portray a friendship that does not exist.

There is no need to discuss private relationships at all. No one needs to know. Hence why this was a horrible idea.

It’s certainly not nice to hesitate on the question of Catherine being welcoming. And then deflect. (Funny- Catherine was super helpful in the engagement interview.) It doesn’t look good for Catherine. Clearly Catherine didn’t meet Meghan’s expectations. But then- no one did. She’s in excellent company.

Nor is it kind to say the relationship didn’t match appearances. It just sounds bad.
Old 03-08-2021, 12:40 PM
Royal Highness

Apparently according to Richard Palmer again Lambeth Palace are also not answering phones. I bet. This is something that's bugging me and it's not even really about H&M but the ABC.

I assume it was something entirely informal but meaningful to them. However if they did recite vows and get proclaimed husband and wife by the ABC then it does present an issue because you can't do it before God twice according to the Church. Even though the signing of the registers with witnesses happened later.

On current topic. Refusing to name the person but narrowing the field is causing even more nastiness than if they had just said "X made an offensive remark" Not to mention that they couldn't get their story exactly straight on this makes it even more unfair.
Old 03-08-2021, 12:40 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestMom View Post
They had to google the words to the national anthem?
I thought the national anthem thing was strange, too. You probably already know this, but for the benefit of our non-American friends: In 1831, an American wrote new lyrics to the melody used in God Save the Queen, and every American schoolchild knows the song as "My Country, 'Tis of Thee." Just about everyone who grew up in the US can sing at least the first verse and the chorus from memory. Even if she had to google the lyrics to God Save the Queen, learning new lyrics to a familiar tune isn't that big a deal.
Old 03-08-2021, 12:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Agreed. British public never seemed to like Meghan much anyway. Even Trump was praised by the Guardian readers when he told them to pay for their own security.

This was all about getting American public on their side coz they seemed to have angered them as well when they decided to tell whom they should be voting for. Harry looked SO uncomfortable in that video. Ugh.

Actually Meghan's YouGov favorability rates were good until 2020. Polls showed British public were in favor of the couple's engagement and were not bothered by the fact that she was bi-racial and divorced.

Poll from Nov. 2017 regarding the engagement- https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics...rys-engagement

The couple's popularity drops in Oct. 2020.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/entertai...nd-meghan-drop
Old 03-08-2021, 12:47 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by UglyAmerican View Post
I thought the national anthem thing was strange, too. You probably already know this, but for the benefit of our non-American friends: In 1831, an American wrote new lyrics to the melody used in God Save the Queen, and every American schoolchild knows the song as "My Country, 'Tis of Thee." Just about everyone who grew up in the US can sing at least the first verse and the chorus from memory. Even if she had to google the lyrics to God Save the Queen, learning new lyrics to a familiar tune isn't that big a deal.

If she had to google the lyrics, are we to understand that Harry does not know them either?
Old 03-08-2021, 12:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess_Eleanor View Post
If she had to google the lyrics, are we to understand that Harry does not know them either?

Yes I am curious why she didn't ask her fiance/husband to teach her the lyrics.

Closed Thread