The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #341  
Old 03-07-2021, 11:18 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Somewhere, United States
Posts: 2,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiaMia_53 View Post
I'm so happy for them that they are having a girl, which was my hope and guess! They must be deciding on possible names. I'm surprised they shared their knowledge publicly.

I’m not at all surprised they shared the sex of the baby.
__________________

  #342  
Old 03-07-2021, 11:19 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Somewhere, United States
Posts: 2,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess_Watcher View Post
It was horribly damaging. I doubt America will cover any future Royal wedding or coronations.


Oh....I think they will. People are still going to want to watch IMO.
__________________

  #343  
Old 03-07-2021, 11:20 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Washington, United States
Posts: 1,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Scot View Post
This is what Chris Ship said:

In other words, the Queen intervened for Charlotte and Louis, but not for Archie. Maybe that is the bone of contention for Meghan and Harry.

(That is, if Chris Ship is correct).
I think you have hit on it. The issue is they don't think Archie is being treated as the equal to Charlotte and Louis. She knows there are counterarguments so she made up the security concern.
  #344  
Old 03-07-2021, 11:21 PM
MaiaMia_53's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 1,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post
Harry is higher profile than Zara and I believe is at more risk but the U.S. government doesn't pay for security for private citizens and it seems that the U.K. doesn't either. He had security as a senior member of the family but they left. They have these huge deals with Netflix and Spotify, they live in a huge mansion and before the lockdown, took expensive vacations. Why should the taxpayers pay for their security.
They did not have the deals with Netflix and Spotify when they were in Canada, which is when the RPO security was pulled, obviously as a way to force or encourage Harry to give up and return to the royal fold.

If you follow the chronology and listen closely to everything M&H said, what they said is not hard to understand. They aren't perfect people, and they aren't the monsters the U.K. media have been trying to paint them as either.

Honestly, there's a much bigger takeaway about the downsides of life in the gilded cage, which have affected members of the monarchy down through the ages. It's very easy to see that if you are a student of British royal history like I am.

To continue to place the status quo rosy public view on everything about the monarchy is to miss the lessons that really need to be learned from all of this. It will take time to digest. If some observers prefer not to maintain an open mind, there are plenty of other people who will weigh in on this and try to sort this through for greater understanding. Because this whole saga is bigger than just Meghan and Harry, which at one point in a statement, Harry even said.
  #345  
Old 03-07-2021, 11:23 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Calgary, Canada
Posts: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by teruterubouzu View Post
Pish posh. They definitely will. Some station will probably hire Meaghan to do color commentary but others will cover it properly.
IIRC, the US public soured on the royals after Charles and Diana divorced, because most Americans sympathized with Diana, but it was back to normal by the time William married Kate.

It'll be the same with this. The royals may be out of favour for a while, but it will all pass, probably when George comes of age and starts dating.
  #346  
Old 03-07-2021, 11:25 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Washington, United States
Posts: 1,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincessJava View Post
Do Lady Louise and Viscount Sevren have protection whilst minors? Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie certainly did....
Beatrice and Eugenie did have protection but that changed because there were major concerns about the cost of protecting the extended royal family. Prince Andrew had to pay for their security although I'm not sure he still does.
  #347  
Old 03-07-2021, 11:26 PM
Kellydofc's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Out in the country, United States
Posts: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Scot View Post
This is what Chris Ship said:

Chris Ship@chrisshipitv
·
3h
My understanding of them rules is this: the children and grandchildren of the Sovereign automatically get HRH (unless, like Princess Anne she asks her kids not to have them). Great-grandchildren only get them if the Queen intervenes - as she did for Charlotte and Louis

In other words, the Queen intervened for Charlotte and Louis, but not for Archie. Maybe that is the bone of contention for Meghan and Harry.

(That is, if Chris Ship is correct).
It's possible that was done because William is the future king. Which once again gives credence to the long floated rumor that Meghan wanted her and Harry to be equal to William and Kate. That was never going to happen because of where they are in the order of succession.
  #348  
Old 03-07-2021, 11:29 PM
MaiaMia_53's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 1,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post
I think you have hit on it. The issue is they don't think Archie is being treated as the equal to Charlotte and Louis. She knows there are counterarguments so she made up the security concern.
What are you saying? The security concern was not made up. Didn't you listen to what Harry said? His and his family's RPO security was pulled in Canada at a time when they did not have any plans in place. They had hoped initially to be able to live part-time in Canada, and still represent the Crown in some fashion. None of that worked out. Why are you saying that the security concern was made up? There were definite threats to their security, including death threats they had faced since the time of their marriage.
  #349  
Old 03-07-2021, 11:29 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Washington, United States
Posts: 1,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiaMia_53 View Post
They did not have the deals with Netflix and Spotify when they were in Canada, which is when the RPO security was pulled, obviously as a way to force or encourage Harry to give up and return to the royal fold.

If you follow the chronology and listen closely to everything M&H said, what they said is not hard to understand. They aren't perfect people, and they aren't the monsters the U.K. media have been trying to paint them as either.

Honestly, there's a much bigger takeaway about the downsides of life in the gilded cage, which have affected members of the monarchy down through the ages. It's very easy to see that if you are a student of British royal history like I am.

To continue to place the status quo rosy public view on everything about the monarchy is to miss the lessons that really need to be learned from all of this. It will take time to digest. If some observers prefer not to maintain an open mind, there are plenty of other people who will weigh in on this and try to sort this through for greater understanding. Because this whole saga is bigger than just Meghan and Harry, which at one point in a statement, Harry even said.
I would not want to be a member of the royal family and I support Harry and Meghan walking away.. Harry inherited a large sum from Diana and now he has these contracts for big money but yet they are upset that they have to pay their own security.
  #350  
Old 03-07-2021, 11:31 PM
Kellydofc's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Out in the country, United States
Posts: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sionevar View Post
IIRC, the US public soured on the royals after Charles and Diana divorced, because most Americans sympathized with Diana, but it was back to normal by the time William married Kate.

It'll be the same with this. The royals may be out of favour for a while, but it will all pass, probably when George comes of age and starts dating.
It'll start before then. My guess is when Charlotte can be seen as a fashion icon.
  #351  
Old 03-07-2021, 11:32 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Calgary, Canada
Posts: 111
The simple way to deal with the complaint about Archie's title and style would be to change the system so HRH etc is only given to the sovereign's children, and to any children of the heirs apparent in the direct line - the children of future sovereigns.

IMHO, there is no need for Harry's kids to be HRH. Ditto for Louis' children when the time comes.
  #352  
Old 03-07-2021, 11:32 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Washington, United States
Posts: 1,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiaMia_53 View Post
What are you saying? The security concern was not made up. Didn't you listen to what Harry said? His and his family's RPO security was pulled in Canada at a time when they did not have any plans in place. They had hoped initially to be able to live part-time in Canada, and still represent the Crown in some fashion. None of that worked out. Why are you saying that the security concern was made up? There were definite threats to their security, including death threats they had faced since the time of their marriage.
She made up the part where she wanted Archie to be a prince because he would be eligible for security. She obviously knows that princes do not automatically get security.
  #353  
Old 03-07-2021, 11:32 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Florida, United States
Posts: 226
I pray, pray the parliament acts and the titles are removed. They can NOT go on TV - call the family racist, accuse Kate of being a bully and drag the entire family in the mud without anything to happen.
  #354  
Old 03-07-2021, 11:34 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Somewhere, United States
Posts: 2,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellydofc View Post
It's possible that was done because William is the future king. Which once again gives credence to the long floated rumor that Meghan wanted her and Harry to be equal to William and Kate. That was never going to happen because of where they are in the order of succession.


I think that’s exactly why it was done.

Meghan and Harry’s kids were never going to be treated the same as William’s. That’s the way it is.

I think being royal and what came with it was VERY important to both of them. Hence this scorched earth interview now.
  #355  
Old 03-07-2021, 11:34 PM
Kellydofc's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Out in the country, United States
Posts: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sionevar View Post
The simple way to deal with the complaint about Archie's title and style would be to change the system so HRH etc is only given to the sovereign's children, and to any children of the heirs apparent in the direct line - the children of future sovereigns.

IMHO, there is no need for Harry's kids to be HRH. Ditto for Louis' children when the time comes.
I agree with this whole heartedly. In future the only ones to get an HRH should be George's children.
  #356  
Old 03-07-2021, 11:37 PM
Eskimo's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Dallas, United States
Posts: 570
On another board a poster said this about it: This is a massive hissy fit because the Bank of Charles has closed and even with the Netflix and Spotify deals they don’t have enough to live how they want to.
  #357  
Old 03-07-2021, 11:37 PM
Kellydofc's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Out in the country, United States
Posts: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin9 View Post
I think that’s exactly why it was done.

Meghan and Harry’s kids were never going to be treated the same as William’s. That’s the way it is.

I think being royal and what came with it was VERY important to both of them. Hence this scorched earth interview now.
The irony now is they've totally cut themselves off from that royal life.
  #358  
Old 03-07-2021, 11:38 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Somewhere, United States
Posts: 2,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiaMia_53 View Post
What are you saying? The security concern was not made up. Didn't you listen to what Harry said? His and his family's RPO security was pulled in Canada at a time when they did not have any plans in place. They had hoped initially to be able to live part-time in Canada, and still represent the Crown in some fashion. None of that worked out. Why are you saying that the security concern was made up? There were definite threats to their security, including death threats they had faced since the time of their marriage.


Harry and Meghan didn’t plan ahead. That’s on them. They were the fools who put up that idiotic website with the half in/half out plan that everyone but them knew would not work. And announced it as a done deal.
  #359  
Old 03-07-2021, 11:40 PM
MaiaMia_53's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 1,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sionevar View Post
IIRC, the US public soured on the royals after Charles and Diana divorced, because most Americans sympathized with Diana, but it was back to normal by the time William married Kate.

It'll be the same with this. The royals may be out of favour for a while, but it will all pass, probably when George comes of age and starts dating.
Sure, we will see. I hope it will not be business as usual though, with no lessons learned because if nothing is learned, I can see all three of the Cambridge kids having to deal with the same constrictive issues and heir vs spare dynamics.

Let's also please realize that articles have been written revealing the arguments and misunderstandings that Harry and William had with their father and with each other over the years. There was an article in The Spectator last year which mentioned how the Queen's former private secretary, Sir Christopher Geidt, had helped smooth over concerns and that he had ideas for bringing all of the palace fiefdoms under one umbrella. However, Geidt was pushed out in 2017 in a power play by Andrew's and Charles' staffs. There's a lot that goes on behind the scenes in the royal firm. It's not like the vision of perfection presented to the public. So Meghan told the truth about her experience of that variance. Meghan walked into a family that already had a ton of issues going on, so it's unfair to blame 'rifts' on her.

No matter who Harry married, there were going to be problems that ensued, but just not on the level of 'race.' Still, there would have been over-attention on his spouse and possible scapegoating. None of the married-ins have it easy (witness two recent divorces in the family), but it was the 'racial' dynamic that played a bigger role in how Meghan was treated by the media, etc.
  #360  
Old 03-07-2021, 11:40 PM
AC21091968's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 1,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincessJava View Post
Do Lady Louise and Viscount Sevren have protection whilst minors? Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie certainly did....

Edit: as of 2011, the Earl and Countess of Wessex lost their RPOs. From my research, it may be funded privately too
When I searched up "Lady Louise Windsor Security" the only relevant article that I could find is the Daily Mail article that said Earl and Countess of Wessex lost £1m police protection in 2011 (as you mentioned earlier). The information is not exactly clear and reliable

Quote:
The Earl and Countess of Wessex are to lose their team of six protection officers as part of moves to cut the £100 million cost of Royal security.

Prince Edward and Sophie are said to be ‘very unhappy’ about the proposal to strip them of police protection when they are not on official engagements. They plan to dispute the decision.

The Metropolitan Police and the Home Office have been told to trim the cost of taxpayer-funded Royal security across the board.

The Wessexes have six protection officers who work on a rolling rota, which costs the taxpayer an estimated £1.15 million a year.

The couple and their children – Lady Louise Windsor, seven, and three-year-old James, Viscount Severn – have a top-of-the-range alarm system at Bagshot Park, their £30 million Surrey mansion.

But security has always been a concern for Sophie, who worried that members of the public could enter the estate from the main road.

A friend of the couple said: ‘They’re very upset. They trust their staff and depend on them hugely.’
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...costs-cut.html

I'm sure my post will probably moved to a different thread
__________________

Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Duke & Duchess of Sussex with Oprah III - Post-Interview, March 9th 2021 - Marengo The Electronic Domain 746 03-12-2021 05:30 AM




Popular Tags
america archie mountbatten-windsor asian baby names baptism birth britannia british british royal family british royals camilla camilla's family camilla parker-bowles camilla parker bowles carolin china chinese ming dynasty asia asian emperor royalty qing coronation crown jewels customs duchess of sussex duke of sussex edward vii elizabeth ii family tree fashion and style gemstones genetics george vi gradenigo gustaf vi adolf harry and meghan henry viii hereditary grand duchess stéphanie hereditary grand duke guillaume highgrove history hochberg house of windsor hypothetical monarchs japan history king edward vii king juan carlos liechtenstein line of succession list of rulers luxembourg meghan markle monarchist movements monarchists mongolia mountbatten names pless politics prince harry princess eugenie queen consort queen elizabeth ii queen victoria royal ancestry royalty of taiwan st edward sussex suthida swedish queen tradition unfinished portrait united states of america wales welsh


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:39 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises
×