The Duke and Duchess of Sussex with Oprah I - Pre-interview, Feb-March 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Meghan has a misconception of the monarchy. She did not realize (or was not explained to her) when she joined the royal family, what was her role from that moment on which was to serve the crown and the Queen.
But worst of all, Harry turned his back on his country, the Queen, his own family and as if that wasn't enough, he agreed to give an interview that could have unimaginable consequences, especially when his grandfather is ill and hospitalised.
Harry and Meghan can't have feelings.
The whole royal family must be very sad about Harry's attitude.

Last edited:
It will stream on Paramount+, which is the streaming service of ViacomCBS.

Besides, ITV wouldn't want to air it Live in the UK at 1 a.m., would it?

No, it will be broadcast on Monday 9pm-11pm on ITV, so it will not be live.

Meghan has a misconception of the monarchy. She did not realize (or was not explained to her) when she joined the royal family, what was her role from that moment on which was to serve the crown and the Queen.
But worst of all, Harry turned his back on his country, the Queen, his own family and as if that wasn't enough, he agreed to give an interview that could have unimaginable consequences, especially when his grandfather is ill and hospitalised.
Harry and Meghan can't have feelings.
The whole royal family must be very sad about Harry's attitude.

Harry's complicity in this is truly appalling. In all of this, what H & M do not understand is that Oprah is not their friend. Oprah is doing this interview to make money. At some point in the future, if the Palace establishes that H & M did bully their staff, the tide of fickle Hollywood will turn against them. They need not think that Oprah won't be willing to interview some of the staff who were bullied (if that is established) if she thinks it will get her money and ratings.

Yeah, it's so completely weird to exclude one's family - even if they are attacking their own family and causing all kinds of issues - from important events, like funerals or wedding... oh wait :lol:

I know this was some attempted shot at Meghan but unlike the Markes who Meghan had ZERO relationship with, Harry actually had one with his family.

So yes it would be very strange to ban Harry from the funeral of his grandparents and frankly I think it would be a bad look for the royals.

Last edited:
I know this was some attempted shot at Meghan but unlike the Markes who Meghan had ZERO relationship with, Harry actually had one with his family.

So yes it would be very strange to ban Harry from the funeral of his grandparents and frankly I think it would be a bad look for the royals.
Of course it's a bad look for anyone to not invite their family to family functions.

I guess much of it depends on how BRF will be feeling after the interview, but I'm afraid there might be a lot of... bad blood between them and the Sussexes. Though he might still be invited to the important family events, just not the official ones.

It really is striking that so many people are so unforgiving. I believe that this is a big mistake by Harry that he will regret. But who hasn't made mistakes and hurt people they love.

This seems worse because it is public but that is because the royal family is public. The Windsors are famously dysfunctional but they are also human beings and I have no doubt that they truly love Harry. Part of loving someone is being there, helping them, and forgiving them when necessary. It might take a while and maybe some won't fully forgive or trust him but I can't believe that any family member, especially Charles and William, will completely cut him off.

Of course it's a bad look for anyone to not invite their family to family functions.

I guess much of it depends on how BRF will be feeling after the interview, but I'm afraid there might be a lot of... bad blood between them and the Sussexes. Though he might still be invited to the important family events, just not the official ones.

I think it depends on circumstances. Plenty people have very valid reasons to not invite people into their lives. Not all family relationships are healthy.

Harry and his family are at odds right now but I don’t think it’s at a point of no return.

We shall see.

I am probably stupid and an ignorant American, but I wish Meghan had maybe tried a bit harder to adapt to the family she married into.

It is my opinion that she knew what she was getting into, but I could be mistaken.

I won't be bothered with watching this. I honestly believe America has enough celebrities, and if one truly wishes to live privately, one shouldn't seek media attention at all.

But I do wish them all the best.

I wouldn't ban him from family events but the fact his grandfather is in the hospital and he's allowing this interview to be seen says he doesn't care about his family.

I'm curious what Oprah will call Meghan and Harry. Meghan and Harry? Duke and Duchess? Your royal highnesses?

moved this one from the 'general news' thread, because it's about the interview really:

[...]
I have no sympathy for Harry. He is complicit at least. Also it's his family and it seems like he burnt the bridges. William is Harry's brother, Charles a father, Queen a grandmother (which he likes to talk about "casually"). Royals are not Meghan's family so it's all on Harry.
Do you think there is coming back for Harry now? Like he crossed a line he shouldn't have.

Imo it will depend on how much further their narrative will go in the interview other than the teasers that have been released. We will know soon enough now :flowers:

The BRF are usually very very resilient and can keep things together when for other groups of people the line would already we crossed.

My own grandmother would always say to her large brood (11 kids, 30+ grandkids): you don't have to be the best of friends or talk regularly, as long as you keep the relationship well enough to be civil to eachother when you have to be together for a family event like a funeral :flowers:
I hope for the BRF they manage to do that.

I wouldn't ban him from family events but the fact his grandfather is in the hospital and he's allowing this interview to be seen says he doesn't care about his family.

Harry and Meghan have very little power over this interview now. Once they filmed it (before Philip was ill) it became property of HARPO and CBS. They couldn’t stop it even if they wanted to.

There is another Telegraph article on the Oprah's interview written by Camilla Tominey (I have lost count on how many and what the order is :lol: :cool: ?). But this time, the article claims that Meghan is not so restricted as she appeared to be on the latest short clip with Oprah. According to Palace sources, Meghan relied on "her US team of advisors", to the extent the Palace PR were sideline. The article also suggested that Meghan did spoke to Oprah on the phone in Kensington Palace with no royal PR present nor listening in. Thus, refuting the claim that Meghan was "gagged".

An interesting part on the engagement interview, where Harry and Meghan requested Mishal Husain, before Palace PR selected her.
A month later they became engaged and agreed to give an interview to the BBC’s Mishal Husain, who was specially selected by the palace PR team at the couple’s request.

There is also a part on Meghan's friendship with Gayle King and again mentioning how Meghan is not "restrained/restricted"
Around the time of Archie’s birth in May 2019, Meghan was paid a private visit by Gayle King, who works for CBS, the network which broadcasts Ms Winfrey’s programmes.

The two TV presenters are close friends, and in recent days Ms King has described the Duchess as being “oppressed” by the Royal family.

Reports that Meghan was “blocked” from doing an interview with Ms King by palace spin doctors worried it would upset the UK media appear wide of the mark, however.

“They weren’t blocked from doing anything,” added the royal insider. “If they had wanted to speak to Gayle King or anyone else, they would have been able to do so.”

Meghan 'called all the PR shots', say royal sources despite Oprah interview claims she was gagged
The Duchess said it was 'liberating' to be able to speak to the talk show host, but sources say she had 'full control' of her interviews
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...ts-say-royal-sources-despite-oprah-interview/

Archive link to the full article:
https://archive.vn/eI5Zl#selection-469.0-469.164

All this and the interview has yet to be screened. I wonder if Ms Tominey would like a nice set of steak knives to go with her razor sharp Carver?

As to fooling the royal reporters, they merely showed that they make up stories out of whole cloth. Who can forget the RR that railed about the excessive money Meghan had spent on her own baby shower, published the day before it happened. Really! Or how about the Mail upping the ante and declaring that Meghan demanded to wear those aquamarine earrings knowing full well they had Kashoggi's blood on them.

The fact they were a gift from HM King Salmand bin Abdulaziz Al Saud is conveniently omitted. That his son delivered them before the death of Jamal Khashoggi is obviously deemed literary license.

With all the nasty stories on Meghan that were out before the interview the "rebuttals" aren't gaining traction. CBS is pushing the rebuttals are coming and the interview hasn't aired. Wait until it comes out then refute. You're damaging your credibility.

It was interesting to see a Hollywood reporter (whose name I've forgotten, sorry) on the BBC this morning going on about how everyone in Hollywood's "Team Meghan" and is so glad that "she's speaking out". Harry's name was not even mentioned. He might as well not have existed.

It was interesting to see a Hollywood reporter (whose name I've forgotten, sorry) on the BBC this morning going on about how everyone in Hollywood's "Team Meghan" and is so glad that "she's speaking out". Harry's name was not even mentioned. He might as well not have existed.

That reporter needs to realise that Hollywood is hardly a representative of the US as a nation.

That reporter needs to realise that Hollywood is hardly a representative of the US as a nation.

Hardly. In fact it's my impression that a large segment of Americans will immediately take the opposite stand of "Hollywood." Regardless of topic.

Sure they are. Every single one of them. :whistling:
At best only for as long as it is "fashionable" to be "Team Meghan - and the what's-his-name-dude-she's-married-to."

Next week they'll be "team whatever."

That's not a support H&M should rely too much on. It's Mr. and Mrs. Average and their children Joe and Jolene Average they need to reach, if it should really matter in the long run.

It sure is getting far our in regards to who have commented this interview, that hasn't even been aired yet!
The ducks in Hyde Park, have no doubt issued a statement as well.

I was wondering how long it would be before we would all be graced with Ms. Owen's pithy pearls of wisdom.

She won't be watching. Now the zillions of people waiting on pins and needles to know have their answer.:cool:

Apparently, The Queen will not be watching the Oprah's interview, because she has more things to focus about, i.e. The Commonwealth Service broadcast (on BBC1) and Prince Philip's health. I don't blame Her Majesty either. A bigger claim in this Sunday Times article is that the courtiers are threatening to retaliate with fresh disclosure if Harry & Meghan attacks the Monarchy. :ohmy: :shock:

Queen ‘won’t watch the Harry and Meghan circus’
Angry courtiers threaten reprisals over Oprah TV interview as royals plan PR blitz to counteract couple’s claims
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/queen-wont-watch-the-harry-and-meghan-circus-93h38tcg8

This article is on the front page of The Sunday Times with The Queen in front of flags of Commonwealth nations.
Picture of the Front Page

Roya Nikkhah @RoyaNikkhah
The Queen won’t watch Harry and Meghan’s “circus” interview with @Oprah as royal sources warn Sussexes on a “high stakes” move. “People will come out swinging” if they attack the monarchy. “There’s a lot that could come out in the wash.”
@thesundaytimes
https://thetimes.co.uk/article/queen-wont-watch-the-harry-and-meghan-circus-93h38tcg8
7:24 PM · Mar 7, 2021·Twitter for iPhone​

Unfortunately, this article just came out and there are no archive links yet.

It seems like in the 90s, we had the War of the Wales. Now we have the sequel: War of the Wails. We know who is raking in the green dollars from all of this too. Same as in the 90s. :D

It will be interesting to see the whole interview to get context in some of these clips, Meghan saying she wasn't allowed to talk alone with Oprah seems odd because we know she was allowed to invite Oprah to her wedding, that Gale King visited them at home and CBS and Gale were one of two teams involved in broadcasting Harry's post Archie birth comments, and Ellen DeGeneres visited them both at their home. That doesn't seem to suggest Meghan was banned from speaking to people. It would maybe suggest that the talk with Oprah was "work" related and in that case it would seem appropriate for an official to be on the call. The Palace, I'm sure, were probably hopefully any such interviews would be with British, or at least Commonwealth, media not American. That's not Anti-American or racist simply common sense when talking about a member of the British Royal Family. I imagine there would be merry hell if Joe Biden chose to give his first post inauguration interview to BBC or Euronews instead of an American network.

It will be interesting to see the whole interview to get context in some of these clips, Meghan saying she wasn't allowed to talk alone with Oprah seems odd because we know she was allowed to invite Oprah to her wedding, that Gale King visited them at home and CBS and Gale were one of two teams involved in broadcasting Harry's post Archie birth comments, and Ellen DeGeneres visited them both at their home. That doesn't seem to suggest Meghan was banned from speaking to people. It would maybe suggest that the talk with Oprah was "work" related and in that case it would seem appropriate for an official to be on the call. The Palace, I'm sure, were probably hopefully any such interviews would be with British, or at least Commonwealth, media not American. That's not Anti-American or racist simply common sense when talking about a member of the British Royal Family. I imagine there would be merry hell if Joe Biden chose to give his first post inauguration interview to BBC or Euronews instead of an American network.

I am very hopeful that the trailer is a dramatic carrot to draw people in and Meghan will say something like I know they were trying to protect me, to ensure I didn't compromise myself etc etc. The trailers are making it sound like the mafia.

Well, Harry had no problem not inviting his own cousins to his wedding (although he didn't seem to mind attending theirs).

I do think clashes with staff will be revealed: for example, the quarrel over keeping designer clothes that were sent to KP.
Yes, it's a common thing in Hollywood, so designers get publicity when actresses wear the items in public.
It's frowned upon in the RF (looks like shilling).

So much of Meghan's reported conflicts with staff may turn out to be simply different expectations.

Well, Harry had no problem not inviting his own cousins to his wedding (although he didn't seem to mind attending theirs).

I do think clashes with staff will be revealed: for example, the quarrel over keeping designer clothes that were sent to KP.
Yes, it's a common thing in Hollywood, so designers get publicity when actresses wear the items in public.
It's frowned upon in the RF (looks like shilling).

So much of Meghan's reported conflicts with staff may turn out to be simply different expectations.

but Meghan is (we're told ) an intelligent woman who knew what she was commiting herself to, in marrying Harry. That she was marrying a royal who had public duties, who was committed to a lifetime of charity and work representing the queen...and that she was now a Princess and not an actress. so if advisers told her that she couldn't do this or that, like wearing loaned clothes, or having an interview iwht Oprah, then she would surely realize that she had to stick with the rules of her new life and position.. and be willing to accept that that was her lot now...

I've read through the whole thread because I'm so conflicted about this. I think Meghan has been treated appallingly by the British media, and the fact that other women have been through the wringer, too, doesn't comfort her, I'm sure. I can understand if the couple want this all simply to stop. Had they chosen to live like David Linley or Sarah Chatto, I'd totally respect them for it.

The media fire the public discourse, it's deeply sexist and classist, and in Meghan's case, also racist. That's horrible and I can't imagine how they live with it. I'm sure it was devastating for her. (Although iirc, Carole Middleton had probably the most hate-filled press of all, much more so than Doria Ragland, or am I completely wrong?)

I think the way they chose doesn't make the criticism go away. It only makes it much worse, much more controversial. Does Meghan hate this controversy, or does she court it? She was never muzzled. She always had her ways of getting the word out. "Never explain never complain" - she did both. And I can totally understand why.

But then I remember some of her and Harry's words - and I can't but think that she is playing a role all the time, that she's fake.

"Is he kind?"

"... the family she never had...."

"... hit the ground running..."

Then the whole fake thing about the importance of faith and church for Meghan. I never heard or saw anything of it, never.

I think she never understood her role in the BRF. For her, it's a springboard to global fame. The people here in the thread who wrote that she saw only the celebrity side of royal life, not the public service part, have it totally right.

No, however much others are to blame, she and Harry are not the only victims in this story.

I hope that they won't throw the family under the bus in the interview. I hope they won't cause personal pain to family members, there has been enough of that already and his grand parents love him. there won't be too much time to mend fences with them if necessary.

I also hope that in a world filled with suffering, they'll finally start the great work of kindness that they promised, instead of circling obsessively about the tough time they had. Not every criticism was unfounded and ill-natured, it might be fair to acknowledge that, too. And just move on.

I can't imagine what the queen will be feeling if her beloved grandson would do a Crawfie on her and pull personal things out into the open. Again, I hope he won't do it.

The teasers didn't sound too good. Well, we'll have to wait and see.

Thank you everybody on these boards for the many different points of view, all expressed so intelligently. I'm still conflicted but I appreciate everybody here so much for their insights.

I strongly suspect that Meghan attempted to push the boundaries of the rules and sometimes got away with it and the once she didn't it went down like a lead balloon.

(Although iirc, Carole Middleton had probably the most hate-filled press of all, much more so than Doria Ragland, or am I completely wrong?)

I don't think I've ever seen one negative remark about Doria Ragland. She hasn't really been in the public eye, apart from at the wedding, when people admired her dignity and elegance on what must have been quite a difficult day for her, sitting all on her own at Westminster Abbey, and on that lovely photo when the Queen and Prince Philip met Archie for the first time, and reaction to her on both occasions was overwhelmingly positive. I remember one tabloid running a "We all A-dore Doria" headline.

Carole Middleton, on the other hand, was accused of being a social climber who was pushing her daughter at a prince, which was ridiculous. And a load of rubbish was printed claiming that William's friends used to say "doors to manual" (because she'd been an air hostess) when she came into a room, and laugh at her for referring to "the toilet" rather than "the loo". I doubt that William's friends were rude about Carole, because he'd have been furious if they had, and how would they even know whether she said "toilet" or "loo". But that's the sort of thing she had to put up with. Pippa came in for some nasty remarks as well, about her not having a proper job, and alleging that all she was interested in at university was getting in with an upper-class crowd and finding a rich husband. No-one's denying that the press can be horrible, but it's certainly nothing personal against Meghan.

Last edited:

Taking "Hollywood" to mean the major movie/TV studios, many people would now call them "woke" and "out of touch" with Middle America's more conservative values.

However, objectively speaking, the US media market is controlled by a small number of megacorporations like AT&T/WarnerMedia, Comcast/NBCUniversal, Disney/ABC/20thCentury Fox, and ViacomCBS/Paramount, to which we must now add the former "tech companies" that have morphed into de facto media companies, e.g. Alphabet/Google, Apple, Amazon, Netflix, Facebook and, if we stretch it a bit, even Microsoft. Between themselves, those aforementioned companies control the entire media spectrum (broadcast TV, cable, streaming/VoD, movie production, radio, music distribution, Internet, social networks, etc.) and even the physical communication network. Their ability, therefore, to influence public opinion is enormous (unprecedented really) and should not be underestimated

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom