The Duke and Duchess of Sussex with Oprah I - Pre-interview, Feb-March 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/prince...tches-at-least-7-million-from-cbs-11614987461

And on a completely different note.
CBS is paying a license fee of between $7 million and $9 million for the rights to air Ms. Winfrey’s interview with H&M.

At the same time the prices for 30 second commercials during the interview has been doubled.

- I think Oprah Winfrey can smile all the way to the bank. :D

What happens after the interview has been aired will be interesting!
From an American view there will, I imagine, be two topics of interest:
A) H&M themselves adjusting to a life of well semi-royals in America. - I.e. people want to see the "royal giraffes" performing. For a time...
B) Depends on how explosive what is said during the interview is. If it's the hard stuff, other interviews will follow, but they may be a lot more direct! And H&M will be hard pressed for some in depth answers, hints won't suffice. And no matter where they go or what they attend, journalists will confront them, if they have even hinted something deeply controversial in this interview.
- Which is of course why I maintain that this interview is downright stupid.

PS: I sure am glad I'm not moderating this thread!!
The mods truly deserve a medal here.

Despite the assertion that there are those who would gleefully like to ban the Sussexes there can only be sadness that we have reached a point where so many people in Britain can be so disillusioned with two members of the royal family.

When the couple themselves are able to recognise the damage that they have done then maybe those people in Britain can start to think differently. But to think they can just turn up, smile & wave as if nothing has happened, well surely even they can't be that tin eared.

"A spoilt, immature man, endlessly complaining unnecessarily, married to a spoiled, immature woman, endlessly complaining unnecessarily"?

If that was meant to apply to the Sussexes (too), it wasn't as blatant as the other reference in The Crown last season. Or perhaps Harry isn't aware history has more than one way or potentiality of repeating itself.

Last edited:
What will be the British TV station that will broadcast the interview?

Will this interview have more audiences than Princess Diana's 1995 interview?

What will be the British TV station that will broadcast the interview?

Will this interview have more audiences than Princess Diana's 1995 interview?

ITV. Who knows? There's about ten million more of us than in 1995 so maybe.

Can someone explain me why Harry allowed Meghan to said this about the family he claimed he'd always love including the Queen? It just doesn't make sense.
What a difference from an engagement interview to this one. Back then she was giggly and appeared like a contestant on Bachelorette and now she's this serious tormented one. I feel like Oprah made it so far that there will be some hard questions, she wants all the publicity and knows that 2 hours of talking about foundation and love doesn't sell.
I agree with all of you saying Meghan, she's fire. For her supposed smarts she didn't think strategically what this job is. I see her point but she took it and profits from it even now.
Also I'm not a biggest fan of Serena Williams but Meghan told publicly that they share the ambition and that's why they bonded. I was like wow, Serena is the greatest of all time in tennis and you married a prince. How can you compare yourself to GOAT with a straight face? Btw, it seems like Serena didn't run to her defence in the past or now.

Last edited:
Neither have the Obama's, the Clintons, Katherine McPhee, Tyler Perry, James Cordon, Elton John or the masses of celebrity friends they claim. They might be waiting on the actually interview. Or as they might know that the truth is always more complicated them one persons version of events. But we are probably reading too much into it.
A expert on the radio has noted that celebrities have become more cautious of those that are accused of misconduct, especially since a number of them defended producers that were later convicted of their charges.

It's not quite the same thing but, when Serena was asked what she thought about Novak Djokovic being defaulted from last year's US Open, she said, very sensibly, that it wasn't her business and she wasn't going to comment on it. I doubt that she wants to get dragged into someone else's undignified public arguments.

The population's increased a lot since 1995, but, on the other hand, people didn't have Netflix and Amazon Prime and quite so many channels on Sky back then: audiences generally tend to be smaller now, because there's more choice, so it could go either way. I don't get the feeling that there's as much interest in this as there was in the Diana interview, though.

Alison H said:
The population's increased a lot since 1995, but, on the other hand, people didn't have Netflix and Amazon Prime and quite so many channels on Sky back then: audiences generally tend to be smaller now, because there's more choice, so it could go either way. I don't get the feeling that there's as much interest in this as there was in the Diana interview, though.

Sex sells better than complaining.

Last edited by a moderator:
Neither have the Obama's, the Clintons, Katherine McPhee, Tyler Perry, James Cordon, Elton John or the masses of celebrity friends they claim. They might be waiting on the actually interview. Or as they might know that the truth is always more complicated them one persons version of events. But we are probably reading too much into it.
A expert on the radio has noted that celebrities have become more cautious of those that are accused of misconduct, especially since a number of them defended producers that were later convicted of their charges.
I agree, they're probably also more PR-wise and don't want to be dragged into the mess if something backfires. The Suits cast came to defence but the most important influential people didn't! I'm not even sure how much they're in touch. Let's be honest, all those people are liberal and woke so usually love such occasions. I literally dealt with haters on another forum because apparently I'm a racist because one bad world about Meghan is racism. Apparently it somehow extends to Harry as well.
Allison, sorry for off topic. What a wise response from Serena! Especially since the case wasn't black and white (racism! alarm bells)

Yes, that's a good point about viewing habits. I also think you may well be right about the level of interest. Diana was quite a phenomena.

Can someone explain me why Harry allowed Meghan to said this about the family he claimed he'd always love including the Queen? It just doesn't make sense.
What a difference from an engagement interview to this one. Back then she was giggly and appeared like a contestant on Bachelorette and now she's this serious tormented one. I feel like Oprah made it so far that there will be some hard questions, she wants all the publicity and knows that 2 hours of talking about foundation and love doesn't sell.
I agree with all of you saying Meghan, she's fire. For her supposed smarts she didn't think strategically what this job is. I see her point but she took it and profits from it even now.
Also I'm not a biggest fan of Serena Williams but Meghan told publicly that they share the ambition and that's why they bonded. I was like wow, Serena is the greatest of all time in tennis and you married a prince. How can you compare yourself to GOAT with a straight face? Btw, it seems like Serena didn't run to her defence in the past or now.

The fact that Harry is complicit with Meghan in this attack on his family is what appalls me the most about this whole drama. It is almost like she has him brainwashed.

Harry is been kept in another room for the interview for this exact reason - so that he is not there when she talks. So later they can say that it came from Meghan and not Harry. It was Meghan's sentiments and not Harry's. His non appearance in the first part of the interview amounts to deniability.

It's not quite the same thing but, when Serena was asked what she thought about Novak Djokovic being defaulted from last year's US Open, she said, very sensibly, that it wasn't her business and she wasn't going to comment on it. I doubt that she wants to get dragged into someone else's undignified public arguments.

Add to that that anyone who's really interested can find clips or the whole thing online during Monday and certainly find quotes all over the press it might bleed a lot of people who might otherwise have watched it. OTOH we are still in lockdown and "explosive quotes" all day might drum up a huge audience.

I also don't get the feeling that people in general are as interested or shocked as people were during the Diana interview saga though.

:previous: Not interested? With the way people are huffing and puffing over it in this very thread, I beg to differ :lol:

:previous: Not interested? With the way people are huffing and puffing over it in this very thread, I beg to differ :lol:

Sure many people are interested. And there's a few dozen commenting and a couple of hundred looking and thousands whipping themselves up on SM but enough general interest to sit down and actually watch the interview and make it bigger than Diana's or one of the biggest audiences of the year? Especially after the most fervent either way will already have seen it or clips during the day from other sources?

Maybe, I'm not ruling it out and I don't think it will be a flop by any means, but I bet if I went door knocking on my road right now I'd have a few "oh, yeah that's on...might catch it, don't really care, got a lot of other stuff to worry about like my kids going back to school on Monday, not really interested in the Monarchy." Which is the response of a large proportion of the general public to most royal shenanigans, even big bombshells.

Last edited:
Sure there's a few dozen commenting and a couple of hundred looking and thousands whipping themselves up on SM but enough general interest to sit down and actually watch the interview and make it bigger than Diana's or one of the biggest audiences of the year? Especially after the most fervent either way will already have seen it or clips during the day from other sources?

Maybe, I'm not ruling it out and I don't think it will be a flop by any means, but I bet if I went door knocking on my road right now I'd have a few "oh, yeah that's on...might catch it, don't really care, not really interested in the Monarchy." Which is the response of a large proportion of the general public to most royal shenanigans, even big bombshells.

For me the most interesting thing will be reading the thoughts of people on this forum.?

The little teaser from the Oprah interview make it sound like she married into the Corleone Family, not the RF, either be silent or be silenced? which one take your pick. Both of them have lost the sense of Reality, they need to step into the present and leave the passed , in the passed. Wearing Pss Diana's Bracelet does not make her Diana by a long shot. Diana's shoes she will never be able to fill. For Harry get unstuck from the passed, get some serious help please. Before he reaches the point of no return.

I don't think Meghan or any other married in had any ambitions to be another Diana. I hope that when She grows up Charlotte or any other granddaughters of Diana are called "another Diana." Diana was one of a kind.

Thomas Markle is set to be on GMB after the interview. The Sun said ITV sent Markle interview footage to CBS. The Sun (yeah I know) thinks the footage is going be aired to grill Meghan. The other possibility is CBS fact checking what has been said; and if there are inconsistencies they will be exposed. It won't be a great day if that happens.

How can they demand it?
Well, there was the whole wreath-gate late last year, so they can demand a lot of things - and some of them will not happen.

Why wouldn't Harry attending wedding and funerals of family. It would actually look bad on the RF to deny him that. That wouldn't have the right to and good look explaining it.
Yeah, it's so completely weird to exclude one's family - even if they are attacking their own family and causing all kinds of issues - from important events, like funerals or wedding... oh wait :lol:

I don't think Meghan or any other married in had any ambitions to be another Diana. I hope that when She grows up Charlotte or any other granddaughters of Diana are called "another Diana." Diana was one of a kind.

Well if you look at another famous Princess who died young Princess Grace and her grand daughters they don't get compared. Maybe when the eldest was young but now no. Charlotte doesn't look like Diana, although she looks like her father, and I doubt any other potential grand daughter will either. Couple of her nieces have similarities to her.

My question is though... Why would Harry and Meghan want to take part in official celebrations of institution that they themselves (or at least she herself, because I think that Harry is distancing from that on purpose) accusing of "perpetuating falsehoods" about them?

(Other than reminding people of their royal connections and making more money, ofc.)

Do you always ask and answer your own questions?:lol:

Do you always ask and answer your own questions?:lol:
Because I'm interested in how different people can answer the same question? :D An answer from a Sussexes supporter will be, after all, completely different than mine... hopefully? :flowers:

I am recording it, but I can probably learn everything that was said from the headlines on Monday.

I am stumped that ITV is airing this on Monday night, several hours after it airs in the US. By then, the entire thing will be available on various platforms

I am stumped that ITV is airing this on Monday night, several hours after it airs in the US. By then, the entire thing will be available on various platforms

It will stream on Paramount+, which is the streaming service of ViacomCBS.

Besides, ITV wouldn't want to air it Live in the UK at 1 a.m., would it?

Last edited:
WHy? It will be shown when people have time to watch it..

The fact that Harry is complicit with Meghan in this attack on his family is what appalls me the most about this whole drama. It is almost like she has him brainwashed.

She does. The fact he thinks this is okay to air while his grandfather is in the hospital and his 90 + year old grandmother is in sad spirits likely is very telling.

He either resented his family and hid it well or she played him into hating his own family.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom