The Duke and Duchess of Sussex with Oprah I - Pre-interview, Feb-March 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This Oprah interview is the biggest it will get for H&M. After that, there won't be much left to say. The dust will eventually settle and people, except for their most rabid fans, will get tired of listening to them and begin to ignore them. And the royal family will continue to go on. H&M will have left themselves out in the cold. It is all very sad, but H&M will have no one to blame but themselves. Harry is spoiled, but he has proven that he has deep compassion for people through the charity work he has done, like Invictus. Right now, his spoiled nature has taken over and is causing him to do things that I believe he will one day regret. At some point in the future, when everyone is tired of their drama and they are no longer getting the attention they want, I believe he will realize what he has lost. I hope he and his family will be able to reconcile, but I don't think Meghan ever will reconcile with them. Meghan and Harry are setting themselves up for a very difficult future.

Last edited:
We haven't seen the interview yet but I am glad I didn't bet money that they would only criticize media and staff. Less than a year ago, Charles was a second father to her but apparently he and Camilla have now joined Catherine as the scheming villains who are out to destroy the helpless, powerless Meghan and Harry, whose only sin is wanting to bring love and kindness to the world and the royal family.

When the story about Charlotte's fitting was circulating a few years ago, my only thought was if it was true, it only proved that pre-wedding jitters and post-partum hormones don't mix. I can understand why Meghan was somewhat upset if there were only three people in the room but if it hadn't happened, there would be nothing to leak. It is beginning to seem as though Catherine may have had some reason to distance herself from Meghan early on.

Perhaps those who have been asking what the royal family is hiding should start wondering why Meghan and Harry are so worried about leaks from their families or an investigation into her treatment of staff.

Although I have been a Harry and Meghan fan (which is changing rapidly), I have always understood that they weren't perfect either. They have either leaked or had their friends leak derogatory information about members of the royal family, particularly Catherine. And, as Harry proved a few weeks ago, they are not above using the Queen and Prince Philip (not to mention Archie) to burnish their images.

I'm sure they have some valid complaints but I think this interview will end up hurting them as much if not more, than anyone else.

Last edited:
^^ I find it rather disgusting that Harry is willing to use his grandparents for positive publicity and at the same time do an interview for Oprah that looks to be critical of both the institution they’ve devoted their lives to and his own family. That’s just wrong.

Whatever it is they actually say- HM is CEO of said institution. His father and brother are right behind her. The criticism is there whether they actually say “William did x....” or not. They are the bosses.

The only reason- literally the ONLY reason- that anyone cares what Harry and Meghan have to say....the only reason they have the money making opportunities they have- is due to a family and institution they continually lash out at. There’s something very wrong with that IMO. And I don’t like that it’s being rewarded.

Meghan has built a solid social network for herself in the political world and the Hollywood / entertainment / celebrity circuit in the US. I think she will remain relatively visible in the media for quite some time although, to be fair, she will be just one additional celebrity activist in a country that has zillions of them. In other words, she is not "special" or "singular" in the US as she was in the UK, where there is only one Royal Family.

The biggest threat now to Meghan, as I see it , is the bullying investigation in the Royal Household. Even though the investigation is not targeting Meghan at this point, but rather the Palace's inaction / cover-up in face of the complaints, it does have the potential to derail her brand in the US.

I don't think either Meghan or Harry will become just another celebrity. Harry will be the son and Meghan will be the daughter-in-law. of the King of the UK. After that, they will be the brother and sister-in-law of the King. They are both attractive and charismatic I believe they will have as many magazine covers and interviews as they want - at least until George, Charlotte and Louis come of age. I hope they find a way to let go of their anger and negativity and become grateful for their very privileged life. They both have the potential to do a lot of good in the world.

I don't think so.

I beg to disagree. Due to whom he was born to, Harry is doomed to be a person of interest for the media.

And Diana. There are full grown adults who have only ever heard of her

There also plenty of people who had never heard of someone like Rush Limbaugh and still he raked in tens of millions of dollars a year due to his base of followers.

...and via The Crown.

To the big chagrin of the BRF because The Crown has given the Diana matter a whole new audience.

Diana isn't supernatural.

Mammon is the supernatural thing that matters here. He is busy with the carving out of a lucrative niche of his own.

And it wont keep him famous.

How visible Harry remains in the media is a matter of how well he plays the game.

I beg to disagree. Due to whom he was born to, Harry is doomed to be a person of interest for the media.

There also plenty of people who had never heard of someone like Rush Limbaugh and still he raked in tens of millions of dollars a year due to his base of followers.

To the big chagrin of the BRF because The Crown has given the Diana matter a whole new audience.

Mammon is the supernatural thing that matters here. He is busy with the carving out of a lucrative niche of his own.

How visible Harry remains in the media is a matter of how well he plays the game.

Ha I don't ont know who that is. It isn't really about how well you play the game, well it is bit loads people have lots for cards. They have one and one card can only be used so many times.

I don't think either Meghan or Harry will become just another celebrity. Harry will be the son and Meghan will be the daughter-in-law. of the King of the UK. After that, they will be the brother and sister-in-law of the King. They are both attractive and charismatic I believe they will have as many magazine covers and interviews as they want - at least until George, Charlotte and Louis come of age. I hope they find a way to let go of their anger and negativity and become grateful for their very privileged life. They both have the potential to do a lot of good in the world.
I partially agree. They'll always be connected to the BRF (and the BRF will keep their position and popularity, as they always do), but if this interview will be as damaging to the familial relationships as it's shaping up to be, they will loose a lot of priviledges. The connection will weaken. We won't see them during the official ceremonies, there will be no tiaras and gowns and centuries old jewelery for Meghan.

There is a reason that they wanted to - partially - keep their role in the BRF, because this is what brings the charm and uniqueness. Without it, they're no other from your run of the mill celebrity in California.

I don't think either Meghan or Harry will become just another celebrity. Harry will be the son and Meghan will be the daughter-in-law. of the King of the UK. After that, they will be the brother and sister-in-law of the King.

Yes, he will be the son of the King (as long as Charles is king), but how valuable is that to the media if:

1. He and his wife no longer have any official public role in the UK, and

2. He and his wife are in practice estranged from the Family and can no longer provide any inside information ?

Right now, H&M are persons of interest because they can "dig up the dirt" so to speak on events that happened not so long ago when they were still inside "the Firm", but rehashing the same old news or talking about Harry's memories of his mother will not draw a big audience for them five years from now or beyond.

I also think that the relevance of the Sussexes will change dramatically anyway when William is king. as being the 60-year-old brother of the king (or the sister-in-law) doesn't quite work out for them as being a younger son (or daughter-in-law) of the king, especially when the king has grown-up children of his own, which will probably be the case 25 years or so from now when William might ascend the throne.

Bottom line: the Sussex brand in itself has a built-in expiration date unless H&M build another identity for themselves (as humanitarians, activists, or whatever) that is separate from their royal personas. And, in the latter case, what I was saying is that they will be just a drop in a ocean that is already pretty full in a country like the US.

Last edited:
I partially agree. They'll always be connected to the BRF (and the BRF will keep their position and popularity, as they always do), but if this interview will be as damaging to the familial relationships as it's shaping up to be, they will loose a lot of priviledges. The connection will weaken. We won't see them during the official ceremonies, there will be no tiaras and gowns and centuries old jewelery for Meghan.

There is a reason that they wanted to - partially - keep their role in the BRF, because this is what brings the charm and uniqueness. Without it, they're no other from your run of the mill celebrity in California.

Harry and Meghan will probably lose visibility during William's rein no matter what they do, but I can't see the Queen or Charles ostracizing Harry and Meghan. This interview may strain family relationships (in fairness, we haven't seen it yet), particularly between William and Harry, but a parent's relationship and love for a child is different. I know there are exceptions but generally parents are much more forgiving and tolerant.

Even if Harry and Meghan completely blast and embarrass Charles, I expect them to be invited to the family events, including the jubilee. However, unlike the 60th jubilee, Harry and Meghan probably won't be on the balcony unless the entire extended family is there.

Harry and Meghan will probably lose visibility during William's rein no matter what they do, but I can't see the Queen or Charles ostracizing Harry and Meghan. This interview may strain family relationships (in fairness, we haven't seen it yet), particularly between William and Harry, but a parent's relationship and love for a child is different. I know there are exceptions but generally parents are much more forgiving and tolerant.

Even if Harry and Meghan completely blast and embarrass Charles, I expect them to be invited to the family events, including the jubilee. However, unlike the 60th jubilee, Harry and Meghan probably won't be on the balcony unless the entire extended family is there.
If the rumours are true and Meghan will really accuse Camilla, Catherine and William of leaking false information to the press about her, I don't see them being invited anywhere in an official capacity. I doubt we will see them on the BP balcony soon either way, but especially if they will go after key members of the BRF.

No matter how much Charles loves Harry and wants to have contact with Archie, if the two will still be hell-bent on damaging the monarchy for their own monetary gain, it'll not be tolerated. It doesn't mean that they won't be invited to the unofficial celebrations of family occasions, but can you imagine them in the carriage during Trooping? Because I can't.

Although I have been a Harry and Meghan fan (which is changing rapidly), I have always understood that they weren't perfect either. They have either leaked or had their friends leak derogatory information about members of the royal family, particularly Catherine. And, as Harry proved a few weeks ago, they are not above using the Queen and Prince Philip (not to mention Archie) to burnish their images.

when was it demonstrated that they leaked derogatory information about Catherine or other RF members?

i will probably watch their interview, but i am most suspicious of these two and don't think i trust all that they have to say - they'll have a hard time convincing me and many others:

why?

because they are untrustworthy - actions are worth more than words, as they say: they say they are not bullies, yet stories like the one above surface, and along with meghan having fallen out with her own family and harry having the reputation of a 'spoiled brat'... it all doesn't make them look in the best of light when defending her bullying claims.

because they are obsessed with their own image (and have to if they want to make any money in their post royal life): it is clear they want to tightly control their PR and position themselves in the best of light and will go to great lengths to ensure this is the case. on top of it, they seem grudgey and stubborn and adopt strategies that are at odds with their claim to privacy (a tell all biography, an oprah interview, leaking archie's pictures).

because they people are not able to connect the dots: they seem to have lost touch with reality. i keep remembering the episode of harry going to a climate change conference in a private jet. do they think people are stupid?

because they are inconsistent: they seem to like the glory jobs but never actually follow up with action. they've announced the netflix deal and we have seen nothing coming out of it. they've announced the spotify podcast and we've seen the grand total of 1 episode. they started archewell only to publish a note on how amazing their mums were and to implicitely bash their fathers in so doing - yet they claim how they want kindness and compassion in the world. how about starting by being kind and compassionate to your own household first?

This video is making the rounds. SMH. It’s a shame royal correspondents would do this. It just proves some of what the Sussexes were saying.

Is this for real or some sort of joke by the supposed interviewers? It looks suspiciously like old interviews. Have the makers just come up with new questions that fit in with old footage & then blended it all together?

Donkey sanctuaries? Covid vaccines? Really? Who's fooling who here?

It all stretches credulity. I'd like to see these alleged interviews. If it is not what it purports to be then these two have only succeeded in riling up people as the comments on you tube & twitter show. Talk about feeding into peoples' confirmation bias.

It doesn't mean that they won't be invited to the unofficial celebrations of family occasions, but can you imagine them in the carriage during Trooping? Because I can't.
During the current reign, I see them making the same type of appearances as the Queen's other grandchildren. They will not be on the same level as William and Catherine. That is the price of not being a working royal.

After Charles ascends, it is hard to say but they will be included in major public events in some way. They will not be seated at the back of the church for the coronation, for example.

I

There also plenty of people who had never heard of someone like Rush Limbaugh and still he raked in tens of millions of dollars a year due to his base of follows..

Rush was a political person who had a lot of followers who agrees with his politics. There's no comparison.

Harry will soon fall into the same category of his mother's old chef or bodyguards who pop up on talk shows- he won't get invited to royal events, he's boring on his own so he won't be very interesting to interview.

If the rumours are true and Meghan will really accuse Camilla, Catherine and William of leaking false information to the press about her, I don't see them being invited anywhere in an official capacity. I doubt we will see them on the BP balcony soon either way, but especially if they will go after key members of the BRF.

No matter how much Charles loves Harry and wants to have contact with Archie, if the two will still be hell-bent on damaging the monarchy for their own monetary gain, it'll not be tolerated. It doesn't mean that they won't be invited to the unofficial celebrations of family occasions, but can you imagine them in the carriage during Trooping? Because I can't.

I can't either. If they turn on the Family at a personal level as it has been rumored, I think they will be completely ostracized like David and Wallis. Harry won't be welcomed back then unless he divorces Meghan at least.

Another point is that the rift between Harry and William seems to be bigger than between him and Charles, which is even more problematic for the Sussexes because, even assuming Charles might be king for another 20 years or longer (which is possible), William is clearly the future right now of the Firm, as he is not only way more popular than his father (+65 net favorability rating), but also Charles being in the best case scenario an "old King " makes it likely that William will take up a much higher profile in the Family much earlier.

Last edited:
And a lot of posters experienced that first hand on this very same forum.
How many very valuable members, now gone, often experienced royal watchers, where called out as racists because they dared to raise some doubts about Ms Markle 's abilty to adjust to the Royal life.
Now she's saying it : apparently it was unbearable.
Monarchy is not a game, a part time hobby, a springboard to worldwide recognition. It's a difficult, challenging, exhausting monster with intricate rules.
And as we all know, the Crown always win.

:previous:
This! I came onto this site a little over three years ago, right before the engagement was announced, and have noticed over time many valuable and logical forward members have stopped following and commenting on the Sussexes.

Even when I just joined I voiced concerned that she had no idea what she was getting into and they should have waited another year before announcing the engagement and allow her to live in the UK at that time- and I was by no means a royal watcher at the time, outside of the watching the occasional documentary. If I had the patience I would go back and look up those comments, but.. meh.

During the current reign, I see them making the same type of appearances as the Queen's other grandchildren. They will not be on the same level as William and Catherine. That is the price of not being a working royal.

After Charles ascends, it is hard to say but they will be included in major public events in some way. They will not be seated at the back of the church for the coronation, for example.
My question is though... Why would Harry and Meghan want to take part in official celebrations of institution that they themselves (or at least she herself, because I think that Harry is distancing from that on purpose) accusing of "perpetuating falsehoods" about them?

(Other than reminding people of their royal connections and making more money, ofc.)

The same reason, Harry mentioned the Queen and DOE in the Corden interview - they are famous by association. They will demand to come to all family events - funeral, weddings, coronations ect. It gives them the permission to talk about the family.

when was it demonstrated that they leaked derogatory information about Catherine or other RF members?
I have no proof but I believe they either communicated directly with the authors of Finding Freedom, or authorized friends to do so. Also, in full disclosure, I haven't read Finding Freedom but I understand Catherine does not come across well.

because they people are not able to connect the dots: they seem to have lost touch with reality. i keep remembering the episode of harry going to a climate change conference in a private jet. do they think people are stupid?

To be fair a lot of "environmentalists" use private planes to travel to these types of conferences. At least Harry had a claim (true or not) that he needed extra security. But I don't understand why they can't attend these events using Skype.

Its a pity this forums doesn't have the live chat anymore - it would have been nice to do have the conversations while the interview was going on.

Well a lot can happen in 10-15 years. King William's relationship with his brother likely won't matter anyways. Whether Harry stayed or not, his position and "influence" was going to slowly go away as the focus on the new generation. That is just how it goes.

We have no idea what is stated in the interview. The Telegraph claimed the RF had an advanced copy and then had to correct themselves. No one has seen it, so how can anyone claim that Meghan speaks about Kate and Camilla?

This is like the video upthread referenced of people stating lies about about the interview without having even seeing it and swaying opinion based on their assumptions.

And as for family events -- I agree that I will be surprised to see Meghan back in the UK but I do think Harry will eventually make his way back there in some way. I can see the Sussexes invited for image sake but I doubt they attend unless something drastic happens in the next year. And who knows because we have seen how quickly things can change.

Then we have articles like this claiming sources say the Cambridges want to repair things with the Sussexes. So despite it all they still want that out there.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-f...kate-still-hopeful-can-repair-relations-duke/

Last edited:
I think there is at least a question mark over the you tube clip that's been referenced on this & the other thread.

It may well be a fake. An elaborate April fool type joke that has taken a lot of people in. Old footage blended with new questions made to look like new interviews.

I think there is at least a question mark over the you tube clip that's been referenced on this & the other thread.

It may well be a fake. An elaborate April fool type joke that has taken a lot of people in. Old footage blended with new questions made to look like new interviews.

What do you mean fake? They interviewed the "experts" yesterday with questions and they spoke as if they had 100% seen the full interview. It was a prank and they fell for it. The only old footage used was examples of how the media was speaking of the Sussexes daily. They were setting up prank.

And American network already went to them for comments.

https://www.insider.com/youtube-pranksters-trick-royal-experts-into-lying-about-meghan-markle-2021-3

I think if they speak unfavourably about Catherine or Camilla, William and Charles will have to take sides, and they will side with their wives. William, in particular, seems very protective of Catherine and the children, and he will not tolerate any allegations. I really hope Harry and Meghan choose wisely whom they blame for the fiasco of their role in the BRF.

The carriage at Trooping is out of the question; they turned their back no being working senior royals, so no reason at all for them to be in a carriage. That's why most people are wondering about 'the balcony'.

I personally wouldn't be surprised if this is the end of the 'entire family' being on the balcony. This year they can easily say that only the senior working royals (and the Cambridge kids) will be on the balcony because of Covid-regulations and next year continue that pattern; because 'what to do about Andrew' and 'what to do about Harry & Meghan' can most easily be solved by not putting any other family members on the balcony. I would feel sorry that everyone else would need to be sacrificed but that could very well be the reality. The alternative would be to allow all three of them in the balcony but not in the procession as they only attend in a personal capacity as family members of the monarch.

I assume the whole family will keep being invited for the Christmas luncheon; and for other personal events like weddings and funerals and most likely also for the coronation.

Last edited:
Good grief, that's appalling and so unprofessional. :ohmy:

Meanwhile, social and news media are stacked with articles about the interview, about Oprah, about the Sussexes and about the Royal Family. I hope the interview counteracts some enduring falsehoods, clarifies some misunderstandings and sets the record straight on objective facts but I still don't think that will be enough to outweigh the potential repercussions. It feels like Diana's interview when it sounded like it was a good opportunity for her to drop some truth bombs but the impact was as damaging to herself as it was to others.

But this is a common thing in media, it's just a technique to get things quickly done when finally needed. A lot of stuff is being filmed in advance and then cut and send on tv- nothing new , negative or special about this.

I have no idea if any of the other royals leaked against them but many of the "leaks" were confirmed to be true in Finding Freedom by their own ghost writer and the justifications about them made them seem petty, so much so that they would have been better ignoring them and rather than "explaining" them.

We also have leaks of private conversations between Harry and The Queen and Harry and William - conversations that at the time had the expectation of being private, like William's apparent "you're moving very quickly with this girl" convo that apparently very much set Harry off but which was advice William himself had followed.

Not to mention the Kensington Shopping Trip Gate that was leaked by Team Meghan to Lainey gossip within weeks of it happening again confirmed in FF. Meaning both sides were potentially doing it.

Unless there are utter political or social bombshells re Kate or Camilla or William there it all just seems petty and like they want to be able to say whatever they want against others but complain when others do the same. Scream about privacy and the tabloids but won't afford anyone else their privacy in conversations that many family members have with each other or petty slights between sisters in law. That's hardly practicing what they preach.

Not to mention that whilst a lot of this was going on Kate was pregnant, had HG, had 2-3 kids under 5, family problems of her own and wasn't necessarily able to have her back in the way Meghan was used to from other female friends. And then there's the fact that they've also admitted that they ignored most advice that was actually given to them because it was stuffy or wrong. And I can't help but think if Kate or Camilla rang up with advice every night we'd get a "they're trying to control me" narrative.

If they're really happy with their decision to leave and be "financially independent" in California then surely the best revenge would be living well away from a moaning public, rigid rules and the hat wearing patriarchy and not complaining or proving to the whole world that Kate was a meanie on Oprah. Especially when they know William and Kate can't sit down with say Naga Munchetty and do the same.

Last edited:
The same reason, Harry mentioned the Queen and DOE in the Corden interview - they are famous by association. They will demand to come to all family events - funeral, weddings, coronations ect. It gives them the permission to talk about the family.

How can they demand it?

How can they demand it?

By simply asking to come and hoping HM or Charles want photos of a family "reunion"/make up, by threatening to have a repeat of the Remembrance Sunday Cemetery photoshoot farce every royal event, by publicly pointing out and complaining every time Bea, Eugenie, Peter, Zara etc get invited onto the Balcony and they're potentially not invited because they aren't working royals either.

I think there will be a period where they and the press try to make every event about them whether they're there or not.

Why wouldn't Harry attending wedding and funerals of family. It would actually look bad on the RF to deny him that. That wouldn't have the right to and good look explaining it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom