The Duke and Duchess of Sussex with Oprah I - Pre-interview, Feb-March 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Harry will remain Charles's son and William's brother for as long as he lives, as Joe Little of Majesty Magazine put it, Harry remains 'indelibly Royal'. And wherever he lives he will be a King's son and the next King's only brother, with everything that brings with it, including within the US.

The next reign will bring Harry closer to the Throne as the only other son of King Charles, not further away from it, a forgotten Royal on the side, as many here would like it.

Margaret was the only other daughter of King George VI and only sibling of Queen Elizabeth II. She was, at one point, 2nd in line to the throne, closer than Harry.

Anne and Andrew were also, at one point, 2nd in line to the throne. They are children of a monarch and sibling of future monarch.

Just saying ....

Margaret was the only other daughter of King George VI and only sibling of Queen Elizabeth II. She was, at one point, 2nd in line to the throne, closer than Harry.

Anne and Andrew were also, at one point, 2nd in line to the throne. They are children of a monarch and sibling of future monarch.

Just saying ....

Very well said !

The Crown, all its faults notwithstanding, actually does a pretty good job showing how Margaret had to come to terms with being downgraded from a senior royal as Charles and his siblings became adults.

I suspect Harry and Meghan will remain celebs in the US for quite a long time though no matter what. At least until people start to turn their attention to George's future wife or Charlotte's boyfriends, which is still way into the future. The fact that Meghan and her children are American and will live in the US certainly helps her to keep being noticed in the US media.

Last edited:
Mark Borkowski (PR guru) did an interview with Mike Graham on Talkradio on the Harry & Meghan's future especially on their interview with Oprah. Unlike royal correspondent, Mark Borkowski is focus more on media aspect, particularly in America. I understand that Mike Graham and other radio hosts on Talkradio have been extremely critical of Harry and Meghan, so please ignore the title of the Youtube video.

The most interesting observation here is towards the end when Borkowski makes the point that (in general) Americans & Britons look at the issue of the Sussexes & this upcoming interview through different lenses.

Which is not really surprising especially if you're a royalist, loyal to & respectful of the idea of a representative royal family. If you consider it an important part of your national identity & culture its inevitable you'll see things in a different light to someone who might consider (however respectfully) members of the royal family as being essentially the same as celebrities.

Last edited:
Harry and Megan have multimillion-dollar entertainment contracts. It was inevitable that they were going to do big U.S. media interviews. This is just the first of many. If they want to build a brand, they need to be promoting their 'product', and they are the product. I'm sure they both knew this when they launched their website last January. And I think the Queen, Charles & William knew this too. I'm sure both sides even knew it would be a sit-down with Oprah.

Oprah wants big ratings. She and Gayle are going to promote this as a 'no holds barred interview' because of this- that's how to maximize ratings. But she isn't a hard-nosed journalist, and she will want future interviews and exclusives from the Sussexes, so the majority of the interview will be focused on social media and tabloid culture toxicity, and a little bit about her miscarriage earlier this year.

I do predict a few questions (and answers) pointing fingers more at nebulous 'palace insiders'. Maybe even a few "the monarchy refused to", and "the monarchy would not" types of questions and answers, especially about being the first POC in the British monarchy, and I expect both Oprah and Megan to try to tie that to the BLM movement in America, as a part of a larger platform that Megan is building. I also expect the Harry portion to include a lot of fanfare about his success with Sentebale and Invictus Games.

I really doubt either Megan or Harry will criticize specific royals. There will be a very generic statement from Harry that goes like "I will always love my father and grandmother, but as a father, I have to fight for what is right and protect my wife."

In the long run, it's going to be a relief for William and Charles to get this over with, and maybe Harry too. It can't be worse than Scobie's book, and they all weathered that storm. If it is really bad, I don't think the Sussexes will be welcome at Phillip's 100th birthday party, but that's likely the only consequence at risk.

(Personally, I don't think the Queen or Charles will ever remove their dukedom, no matter what they do. Peerages are supposed to be for life, not based on popularity, which I imagine the royal family is particularly cognizant of. I think the only bargaining chip the monarchy has left is removing their "HRH", but I don't think that would happen either unless Charles eventually elects to do a complete overhaul when he is King [similar to the Swedish monarchy-and he really should], or Megan runs for political office. I don't think she will.)

Harry and Megan have multimillion-dollar entertainment contracts. It was inevitable that they were going to do big U.S. media interviews. This is just the first of many. If they want to build a brand, they need to be promoting their 'product', and they are the product. I'm sure they both knew this when they launched their website last January. And I think the Queen, Charles & William knew this too. I'm sure both sides even knew it would be a sit-down with Oprah.

Oprah wants big ratings. She and Gayle are going to promote this as a 'no holds barred interview' because of this- that's how to maximize ratings. But she isn't a hard-nosed journalist, and she will want future interviews and exclusives from the Sussexes, so the majority of the interview will be focused on social media and tabloid culture toxicity, and a little bit about her miscarriage earlier this year.

I do predict a few questions (and answers) pointing fingers more at nebulous 'palace insiders'. Maybe even a few "the monarchy refused to", and "the monarchy would not" types of questions and answers, especially about being the first POC in the British monarchy, and I expect both Oprah and Megan to try to tie that to the BLM movement in America, as a part of a larger platform that Megan is building. I also expect the Harry portion to include a lot of fanfare about his success with Sentebale and Invictus Games.

I really doubt either Megan or Harry will criticize specific royals. There will be a very generic statement from Harry that goes like "I will always love my father and grandmother, but as a father, I have to fight for what is right and protect my wife."

In the long run, it's going to be a relief for William and Charles to get this over with, and maybe Harry too. It can't be worse than Scobie's book, and they all weathered that storm. If it is really bad, I don't think the Sussexes will be welcome at Phillip's 100th birthday party, but that's likely the only consequence at risk.

(Personally, I don't think the Queen or Charles will ever remove their dukedom, no matter what they do. Peerages are supposed to be for life, not based on popularity, which I imagine the royal family is particularly cognizant of. I think the only bargaining chip the monarchy has left is removing their "HRH", but I don't think that would happen either unless Charles eventually elects to do a complete overhaul when he is King [similar to the Swedish monarchy-and he really should], or Megan runs for political office. I don't think she will.)

Both Meghan and Harry denied having any part in Scoobie's book. They can't deny having any part in an interview in which they participated. And if it's really bad I would expect worse than being cut off from Phillip's birthday party.

Just saying ....

The Queen married very young and produced children young, pushing Margaret down in the succession in her teens. That wasn't William's choice. Queen Elizabeth had four children, Charles has only two. Having three siblings is self-evidently very different from having only one. And Anne was in the position from birth of being pushed down the line of succession when her mother had other sons, which in fact happened when Andrew, then Edward were born. She was eleven when Andrew was born.

When Charles is King, Harry will be a monarch's son and will move up one place. He will only start to go down in the succession when Charlotte and George have children. That could well be twenty years or more. It may 25 years before Louis begins a family. Harry is not likely to disappear into the woodwork in the next two decades.

Last edited:
Both Meghan and Harry denied having any part in Scoobie's book. They can't deny having any part in an interview in which they participated. And if it's really bad I would expect worse than being cut off from Phillip's birthday party.

In the court case they admitted to providing information to the authors through a third trusted person.

The most interesting observation here is towards the end when Borkowski makes the point that (in general) Americans & Britons look at the issue of the Sussexes & this upcoming interview through different lenses.

Which is not really surprising especially if you're a royalist, loyal to & respectful of the idea of a representative royal family. If you consider it an important part of your national identity & culture its inevitable you'll see things in a different light to someone who might consider (however respectfully) members of the royal family as being essentially the same as celebrities.

It certainly isn't surprising that Americans and British people view the BRF through different lenses. However, there are plenty of Britons who also regard the Royal Family as rather irrelevant figures who add nothing to their lives and very little to the national picture, including an increasing number of the young.

And considering how Mike Graham and TalkRadio talking heads as well as the tabloid media, 'Royal experts' and commentators make a great deal of noise and money talking about the Sussexes in negative terms they had all better hope that the couple don't disappear into obscurity in the near future!

Last edited:
It certainly isn't surprising that Americans and British people view the BRF through different lenses. However, there are plenty of Britons who also regard the Royal Family as rather irrelevant figures who add nothing to their lives and very little to the national picture, including an increasing number of the young.

And considering how Mike Graham and TalkRadio talking heads as well as the tabloid media, 'Royal experts' and commentators make a great deal of noise and money talking about the Sussexes in negative terms they had all better hope that the couple don't disappear into obscurity in the near future!

Kevin Maguire (Associate Editor of the Daily Mirror and a left-wing republican) actually said in a Good Morning Britain (ITV) interview with hosts Ben Shephard and Kate Garraway that Harry & Meghan's Oprah interview is "doing everything for the republican cause". In his segment, he also made multiple dig at the royal family though most of them were directed at Harry and Meghan.

Also in the panel were Chris Ship (ITV's royal correspondent) [first segment] and Andrew Pierces (Daily Mail columnist and Consultant Editor) [third segment]. Kevin Maguire and Andrew Pierces often appear together in morning political programmes including paper reviews.

Ben Shephard first introduced and asked questions to Kevin Maguire at 3:34. Kevin's response starts at 4:16

Last week, Mike Graham was actually criticising Mike Tindall for using the furlough scheme with other TalkRadio host retweeting them as well. The Royal experts and reporters (Victoria Murphy, Victoria Arbiter, Dickie Arbiter, Chris Ship, Roya Nikkhah, Camilla Tominey, Rhiannon Mills...) also mentioned about other members of the Royal Family whether if it's about engagements, patronages, causes or breaking news. Last year, there were criticism from these royal correspondents on The Cambridges and Wessexes in the Sandringham light show. And let's not forget Omid Scobie pushing the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester under the bus on twitter in order to make Harry & Meghan's Frogmore Cottage renovation look good or even equating The Queen's address on Welsh Assembly to getting involved in politics when Harry & Meghan spoke about the US election. So it's not just about Harry and Meghan in a negative light.

Last edited:
The Queen married very young and produced children young, pushing Margaret down in the succession in her teens. That wasn't William's choice. Queen Elizabeth had four children, Charles has only two. Having three siblings is self-evidently very different from having only one. And Anne was in the position from birth of being pushed down the line of succession when her mother had other sons, which in fact happened when Andrew, then Edward were born. She was eleven when Andrew was born.

When Charles is King, Harry will be a monarch's son and will move up one place. He will only start to go down in the succession when Charlotte and George have children. That could well be twenty years or more. It may 25 years before Louis begins a family. Harry is not likely to disappear into the woodwork in the next two decades.

Well, I'm pretty sure Margaret moved up from 4th in line to 3rd in line to the throne when King George VI died, in fact if we count from her birth she moved up three times: from 4th to 3rd following George V death, from 3rd to from 2nd upon Edward VIII abdication, and from 4th to 3rd on Elizabeth II ascension. And by that point, she's the only sibling of the monarch whilst the queen's 2 children still practically toddler (hence cousins joining in).

When Charles becomes king, Harry will move up from 5th to 4th (so does everyone below him will also move up 1 place). And Charles also still has 2 siblings (+spouse) on his side (I don't count Andrew), his heir is an adult (+ spouse) with children approaching teens.

I'm not saying Harry will disappear into the woodwork, he will always be Charles' son and William's brother (and George's uncle and so on), but I just don't see the purpose of this argument.

My original post was in reply to observations from posters upthread that somehow Harry is semi-Royal or a minor Royal now and will soon be disappearing soon down the line of succession and be forgotten.

Prince George is nearly eight and Charlotte will be six this year. That is hardly 'approaching their teens'. They also have years of privacy through their schooling to come, tertiary education and then for George perhaps a stint in the services. Neither will IMO be producing children at twenty.

Margaret was fourth in line of succession at birth, and then second until Charles was born. She was by all accounts an extremely unhappy person later in life, not least due to going down in the line of succession but still on the Royal rota of dutiful engagements.

It was that sort of life that Harry and Meghan wished to avoid, and they've done so, but denigrating Harry's future position in the BRF as being some sort of minor Royal when he will be one of only two sons of the monarch is obviously incorrect.

And in future I hope very much that spares like Charlotte and Louis take the Continental route, have careers, opt out of official Royal life and follow their own star.

Taking away Harry's HRH and removing him and his children from the line could very well happen. I am just curious if they are willing to open that can of worms though because no doubt once you do then the questions of others will arise...

I think this will only happen if things get really ugly - like if they start airing out dirty laundry on the royal family. If backed into a corner they'd do this. But I don't see them backed into a corner.

It looks like the first hour of the interview is just going to be Meghan and Oprah. Then the second half Harry is going to show up and talk about his charities.

The House of Windsor is bigger than these 2 ... they may or they may not be worried but from the outsider observation MM was treated fairly and with the care that other Royal fiancees had not been. MM had wanted out from the start right or wrong I don't know but if the reports that they had sidelined the Queen are true then NOT FINE IMO. This was always on the cards and whether Americans who love this sort of thing still drink from the softy feelie cup ... only time will tell and of course there is a younger audience now who still have not woken up. BUT they have to keep making money money money... I think anyone with half a brain can see that. I am still to find someone where I live who watched Suits so without Harry she was no one ... Harry hasn't got much going for him in the area of the little grey cells so without her he is paralysed ... this is of course only IMO
Americans love this stuff the tears of an actress to the rest of us are just that ... but let's see and really hope that they are not stupid enough to try and make cruel suggestions about the Queen ... I think MM needs to open her won wardrobe first and check our her family before commencing on others.

The House of Windsor is bigger than these 2 ... they may or they may not be worried but from the outsider observation MM was treated fairly and with the care that other Royal fiancees had not been. MM had wanted out from the start right or wrong I don't know but if the reports that they had sidelined the Queen are true then NOT FINE IMO. This was always on the cards and whether Americans who love this sort of thing still drink from the softy feelie cup ... only time will tell and of course there is a younger audience now who still have not woken up. BUT they have to keep making money money money... I think anyone with half a brain can see that. I am still to find someone where I live who watched Suits so without Harry she was no one ... Harry hasn't got much going for him in the area of the little grey cells so without her he is paralysed ... this is of course only IMO
Americans love this stuff the tears of an actress to the rest of us are just that ... but let's see and really hope that they are not stupid enough to try and make cruel suggestions about the Queen ... I think MM needs to open her won wardrobe first and check our her family before commencing on others.

We live in an entirely different world now. The Windsors were bigger and more influential 20 years ago but not as much anymore. Also taking his title away when Andrew still has his is imo pathetic.

We live in an entirely different world now. The Windsors were bigger and more influential 20 years ago but not as much anymore. Also taking his title away when Andrew still has his is imo pathetic.

To be fair, Andrew didn't attack the BRF, didn't live in the US and didn't plan to be a Hollywood celebrity.

i think its pretty obvious that Meghan has jettisoned her family apart from her mohter.. They're not going to attack the queen.. they may need to go back some day though I dont think they will...

To be fair, Andrew didn't attack the BRF, didn't live in the US and didn't plan to be a Hollywood celebrity.

He did injure the BRF, and he did live it up in the US, and he probably didn’t plan to be a tabloid celebrity!

i think its pretty obvious that Meghan has jettisoned her family apart from her mohter.. They're not going to attack the queen.. they may need to go back some day though I dont think they will...

I think she and Harry tried to get through to Mr Markle but he started going to the media repeatedly...

I think the Oprah interview won't be controversial, just talking perhaps about how they met (some repeating of what was said in the engagement interview), their charity interests, Archie and his becoming a big brother soon, plans for Netflix documentaries and so on. There could be talk of the dedication of the statue for their mother. And of course COVID may be discussed.

He's a born prince at the end of the day he really didn't do anything bad. Taking the title away from Harry is just going to open a can of worms none of them want to open.

He did injure the BRF, and he did live it up in the US, and he probably didn’t plan to be a tabloid celebrity!

his behaviour was appalling and he's rightly retired from royal duties.. But Harry's behavior while nothing like as bad.. is going ot go on and on. He will be still in the US in later years and probably there will still be a tension between him and Wiliam... but probably feelings will cool over time and they'll just shrug him off and ignore him....

Kevin Maguire (Associate Editor of the Daily Mirror and a left-wing republican) actually said in a Good Morning Britain (ITV) interview with hosts Ben Shephard and Kate Garraway that Harry & Meghan's Oprah interview is "doing everything for the republican cause". In his segment, he also made multiple dig at the royal family though most of them were directed at Harry and Meghan.

Also in the panel were Chris Ship (ITV's royal correspondent) [first segment] and Andrew Pierces (Daily Mail columnist and Consultant Editor) [third segment]. Kevin Maguire and Andrew Pierces often appear together in morning political programmes including paper reviews.

Ben Shephard first introduced and asked questions to Kevin Maguire at 3:34. Kevin's response starts at 4:16

Last week, Mike Graham was actually criticising Mike Tindall for using the furlough scheme with other TalkRadio host retweeting them as well. The Royal experts and reporters (Victoria Murphy, Victoria Arbiter, Dickie Arbiter, Chris Ship, Roya Nikkhah, Camilla Tominey, Rhiannon Mills...) also mentioned about other members of the Royal Family whether if it's about engagements, patronages, causes or breaking news. Last year, there were criticism from these royal correspondents on The Cambridges and Wessexes in the Sandringham light show. And let's not forget Omid Scobie pushing the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester under the bus on twitter in order to make Harry & Meghan's Frogmore Cottage renovation look good or even equating The Queen's address on Welsh Assembly to getting involved in politics when Harry & Meghan spoke about the US election. So it's not just about Harry and Meghan in a negative light.
I wonder why the change is happening now. From my memory the negativity wasn't this apparent.

Unlike Harry and Meghan, Andrew didn't attack the BRF directly and he didn't live in the US permanently, and like Denville said, he is retired from royal duties and is pretty much out of the spotlight unlike Harry and Meghan who actively seek it.

Unlike Harry and Meghan, Andrew didn't attack the BRF directly and he didn't live in the US permanently, and like Denville said, he is retired from royal duties and is pretty much out of the spotlight unlike Harry and Meghan who actively seek it.

I would just synopsize that the Sussexes and Andrew had crossed a line where they have disgraced themselves as senior working royals. One by his attitude and demeanor and arrogance and the others by going after their own personal fame and fortune separate from the workings of the "Firm".

All of them are deliciously human though and make mistakes and goof ups and make bad decisions like the rest of the human race though.

I certainly wouldn't equate a man who disgraced the Crown by being accused of sexual relations with minors and was acknowledged as a great friend of a pedophile, with a happily married couple who have never directly attacked any member of the BRF but, due to media persecution, simply could not stand staying in the system any longer.

I think it's deeply objectionable to link what the Sussexes have done to what is alleged about Andrew, both in his private life and during his time as trade envoy. I didn't realise that living in the US was a crime against Queen and country, nor is being independently wealthy and not relying on Charles's bounty.

Last edited:
I certainly wouldn't equate a man who disgraced the Crown by being accused of mixed up in sexual relations with minors and acknowledged as a great friend of a pedophile, with a happily married couple who have never directly attacked any member of the BRF but, due to media persecution, simply could not stand staying in the system any longer.

I think it's deeply objectionable to link what the Sussexes have done to what is alleged about Andrew, both in his private life and during his time as trade envoy. I didn't realise that living in the US was a crime against Queen and country, nor is being independently wealthy and not relying on Charles's bounty.

You're absolutely right and I apologize for lumping the Sussexes in with Andrew and his disgrace. Not all children live and breathe to grow up and have Dad hang "& Sons" outside of the family business and if Harry and Meghan decided that wasn't the life they wanted to follow for the rest of their lives, they had the perfect right to follow their own dreams. I may not agree with the process which it all came about and how it was done but I respect their decision to live their lives as they choose to.

Andrew is totally different as it's his actions, his attitude and his self entitlement that catapulted him into being put out to pasture out of the public eye. He brought that on himself.

I certainly wouldn't equate a man who disgraced the Crown by being accused of sexual relations with minors and was acknowledged as a great friend of a pedophile, with a happily married couple who have never directly attacked any member of the BRF but, due to media persecution, simply could not stand staying in the system any longer.

For all that talk about how Meghan is a strong and brave woman, she is certainly very thin-skinned. Her treatment from the press isn't any worse from the previous married-ins, and at least the press didn't give her an insulting moniker like "Waity Katie" or "The Duchess of Pork".

As for living in the US, nobody had a problem with it, as long as he didn't whinge about how he could lose his royal titles or royal patronages because you know... he willingly left the UK.

Do you really think that Charles and his grandparents don't understand why he did what he did? Above all they are family and functioning as disfunctually as many, many others.

Do you really think that Charles and his grandparents don't understand why he did what he did? Above all they are family and functioning as disfunctually as many, many others.

What are you trying to imply? Or, putting it in other words, what do you think Charles and Harry's grandparents understand about why "he did what he did" ?

Last edited:
I wish all the UK papers took that approach:p:lol:

????? I love it!!!

I don’t think the RF expects anyone to be cut off, never to attend family events again or whatever else. The RF works in two ways- official working royals who represent the Queen, carry out official duties, have patronages and make visits recorded in the CC OR members of the Queen's family who have their own lives doing day jobs or managing their own finances and who don’t formally represent the Queen. Its clear BP doesn’t want a middle ground half one or other and that is only fair.
If H&M aren’t working royals then they don’t have to run things like this through BP or follow the rules other royals do, but they also can’t do the official stuff working royals do. It really is quite simple. With this interview they are saying they are moving into celeb line of work- absolutely fine. Then just like Zara and Mike or Peter and Autumn they can do as they please business wise but can’t also be HM’s official representatives. They can have personal charities to support but those which are “official” expect working royals who represent the Queen and country not some LA based celebs who appear from time to time. I’m also sure when HM gave her own patronage of the National Theatre to Meghan it was on the hope Meghan would have more personal interest and role in it than HM was- evidently that is not now the case.
Of course H&M will remain part of the Queen's family and attend personal family events just as the Queen’s family all do.

Yep...and it’s now official that H and M won’t be returning as working Royals, so hopefully Harry won’t throw snits in the future when he’s not allowed to have a wreath laid for him, etc...

I don’t think he will rip his family intentionally, but H has a habit of putting his foot in his mouth, so who knows? M is a loose canon...and given that she’s done it before, I wouldn’t be surprised if she does it again

:previous: post 99

Yes but he doesn't live here. He doesn't want to live here.

That's why he's going to be on American television being interviewed by a well known American probably talking about his life in America. We all know that in the event of some hypothetical tragedy parliament would decide what happens next. That reality is of his making not the British people.

Which will go over really well in my country, where the pandemic still rages on and where we just rid of ourselves of a Fascist President only to have to deal with a snow storm of historic proportions in Texas. We are dealing also with the ruination of one of our political parties, much of which were involved with the attack on the Capitol and which continues to do much damage. Americans are in a bad state - we don’t want to hear H and M lecturing us or explaining why life in the BRF was sooo miserable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Which will go over really well in my country, where the pandemic still rages on and where we just rid of ourselves of a Fascist President only to have to deal with a snow storm of historic proportions in Texas. We are dealing also with the ruination of one of our political parties, much of which were involved with the attack on the Capitol and which continues to do much damage. Americans are in a bad state - we don’t want to hear H and M lecturing us or explaining why life in the BRF was sooo miserable.

Now, you will also have Meghan and Harry complaining about life in the US and how it should be reformed....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom